Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    msimpson wrote: »
    "Big Hands, I know you are the one..."
    Violent Femmes reference. I knew this place was cool. I cast my vote for a 5" iPhone if they can keep the overall size close to the current model.
  • Reply 42 of 118
    I personally would love a smaller screen, watching video on anything under 10 inches is just stupid, smaller is better for portable devices. Let the phablets eat themselves.
  • Reply 43 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Since you like that comment maybe you can explain how adding a 4.3"-4.8" phone to the lineup waters down the brand. (5" to 6" is just silly)

First off, he didn't say that it did--he just asked that Tim does not keep going on a trend of adding a ton of choices. Personally, I like the screen size the way it is. However, I think many people will like a bigger screen on their iPhone. What the comment said and I fear as well is that Apple will start making products to cater everyone's needs and confusion will ensue (like it did when Jobs was gone).

• Reply 44 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

I personally would love a smaller screen, watching video on anything under 10 inches is just stupid, smaller is better for portable devices. Let the phablets eat themselves.

Its web browsing for me.  I agree- watching any video- outside of a short clip- on an iPhone even at 6" is kind of crazy.

• Reply 45 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That has nothing to do with watering down the brand- just one-handed usability.  island is correct- his post didn't make sense.  Listen to what I said TS- I'm saying island is correct.  Just that admission is proof enough.

Although I've agreed with his last 2 points now... what is happening?

Hmmmm... I must have left that portal to an alternate universe open again...  ;)
  • Reply 46 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeu26 View Post

First off, he didn't say that it did--he just asked that Tim does not keep going on a trend of adding a ton of choices. Personally, I like the screen size the way it is. However, I think many people will like a bigger screen on their iPhone. What the comment said and I fear as well is that Apple will start making products to cater everyone's needs and confusion will ensue (like it did when Jobs was gone).

2 iPod Sizes

2 iPhone Sizes

2 iPad Sizes

2 Macbook Air Sizes

2 iMac Sizes

3 Macbook Sizes (one on it's way out)

I don't understand the "too many choices" by adding one additional iPhone size.

• Reply 47 of 118
    Quote:

iPod Nano and iPod Touch

2 iPhone Sizes

2 iPad Sizes

2 Macbook Air Sizes

3 Macbook Sizes (one on it's way out)

2 iMac Sizes

1 Mac Pro

1 Apple TV

3 Routers

I don't understand the "too many choices" by adding one additional iPhone size.

I think I'm saying it wrong. I don't think it will make too many choices with a bigger iPhone. What I fear in the future is that Apple will make their product line too big. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

• Reply 48 of 118
    Quote:

1. You don't talk about watering down the brand in a thread unless either it pertains to the thread or you are really confused.

2. If he didn't mean that a larger phone would water down the brand then he/she should have stated that.

3. There is nothing in this article that would lead one to believe that Apple is starting to cater to everyone's needs.

4. I haven't seen Tim adding a ton of choices.

• Reply 49 of 118
    Current size is optimal. I don't want to have a big one. It would not fit in my pocket.
  • Reply 50 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

Finally. It's about time that Apple enters the big screen game. The current 4" is ridiculous. I am holding onto my 3gs until bigger phone appears.

I don't see why people are clamoring for huge screen phones.  A smartphone is meant to be portable and on the go with you where ever you are.  Save the tablet or laptop for tasks that need a big screen.  I would rather see them make the iPhone more versatile  with things like IR blaster, more battery life, stronger more consistent internet access, waterproof, more accurate sensors, and solid unbreakable/unsnoppable encryption for users who can handle strong passwords or a good encryption solution.

• Reply 51 of 118
    jack c wrote: »
    Finally. It's about time that Apple enters the big screen game. The current 4" is ridiculous. I am holding onto my 3gs until bigger phone appears.

That makes no sense. Your prefer a smaller phone to the iPhone 5, obviously.
  • Reply 52 of 118

The iPhone doesn’t need to be any bigger. It’s really just common sense. It’s a phone, people. You want to hold something stupid and huge to your face, buy a tablet.

But I’m not totally against the idea of a larger iPod touch. In fact, I don’t think I’m at all against it. I’m just not convinced that Apple would do one. I can see a fair few ways it would improve and expand that product’s experience, but it adds an entirely new resolution for which to develop, which I’m not sure Apple wants to do.

• Reply 53 of 118
    Quote:

What I fear in the future is that Apple will make their product line too big.

I hear you.  Moreso with the new product lines.  People are clamoring for an iWatch, an actual TV (so dumb), and the lesser mentioned- Car Radio setup (greatest potential IMO).  But if they get into add something like, say, the iWatch, I would venture to say we see the iPod Nano drop off- or at least I would hope.

I do agree wholly- that it is concerning to see them still hold onto the classic MBP, Mac Mini, iPad 2 (mainly due to 30-pin), iPod Classic, etc.  Either upgrade them or get out of the line up!

Edit: Safari just crashed for about the 10th time since upgrading to Mavericks.  Ugh!!!

• Reply 54 of 118
    citycity Posts: 522member

Apple has added functionality to the iPhone since it was introduced. It now has iWorks. I use mine to read lengthy documents on the go, as I don't want to carry multiple electronic devices around. Thus, increasing the size of the screen, while retaining the compact form as much as possible,  now makes sense. 

Obvious Prediction: iPads with Touch ID next year for everybody, not just Tim and a few of his co-workers!

• Reply 55 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iPhone doesn’t need to be any bigger. It’s really just common sense. It’s a phone, people. You want to hold something stupid and huge to your face, buy a tablet.

But I’m not totally against the idea of a larger iPod touch. In fact, I don’t think I’m at all against it. I’m just not convinced that Apple would do one. I can see a fair few ways it would improve and expand that product’s experience, but it adds an entirely new resolution for which to develop, which I’m not sure Apple wants to do.

What does need have to do with it.  8-)
  • Reply 56 of 118
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    As long as Apple keeps the smaller options on the table. I don't have remote control envy that's for sure.
  • Reply 57 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

Yeah, it's so "ridiculous" than 9,000,000+ people snatched it up in a single weekend, and that iPhone is the most popular phone in the world, selling hundreds of millions of units. What single model of phone sells more? So utterly "ridiculous", right? 

What is ridiculous is your post, where you would prefer to hold on to an utterly obsolete, 4 year old, even smaller device (3.5") and forego massive improvements in hardware, software, and services, because of a single factor like screen size. Defies all rationality and logic. And no, I'm not against a larger sized option. I'm against being so ideologically attached to it that you sacrifice having a better experience, for so long, for the sake of "waiting" for this imaginary product and making yourself out to be some sort of victim that is forced to use obsolete hardware.  

• Reply 58 of 118
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What does need have to do with it.  8-)

I realize that’s a joke, but this is Apple, after all.

• Reply 59 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

I hear you.  Moreso with the new product lines.  People are clamoring for an iWatch, an actual TV (so dumb), and the lesser mentioned- Car Radio setup (greatest potential IMO).  But if they get into add something like, say, the iWatch, I would venture to say we see the iPod Nano drop off- or at least I would hope.

I do agree wholly- that it is concerning to see them still hold onto the classic MBP, Mac Mini, iPad 2 (mainly due to 30-pin), iPod Classic, etc.  Either upgrade them or get out of the line up!

Edit: Safari just crashed for about the 10th time since upgrading to Mavericks.  Ugh!!!

I'm hoping all those devices are dropped next year, and that they simply kept them around to hit certain price-points. I don't mind them keeping the iPod classic for sale, since it's such an iconic Apple device, and it's not like they advertise it. Not happy they kept the iPad 2 around, but I'm sure they have sufficient reason. 

Oh, and I haven't had a single application crash in mavericks- and I updated to the OS while having hundreds of apps. It's not an OS or safari issue. They've been rock-solid for me.  

• Reply 60 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Why not just offer an iPad mini will the cellular tech as an option? Can you hear me now? :D