Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use

Comments

• Reply 61 of 118
    I don't think I would MIND a bigger screen if the overall size of the phone does not significantly increase. Higher resolution can't be bad either. But having used the "phablets," (I'm so sick of portmanteau buzzwords), I found that once you are used to the size of whatever device you are using, you forget about the supposed "expanded" user experience, and think more about the actual weight and size of the device you are holding in your hand - especially after 15-30 minutes. Personally, the iPhone 5 nails it for me - the perfect blend of portability and usability.

The only compelling reason I can see to go to a larger screen size is to accommodate the needs of far-sighted users who struggle to see small text. And that is worthwhile. But the supposed need to have a larger screen for many seems to come down to warm fuzzies that (usually men) get from a spec sheet. It is a fad - kind of like the trend of making cell phones smaller in the first half of the last decade (a la Zoolander).

I for one am not convinced that Apple will ever make the iPhone substantially larger than it is now.
  • Reply 62 of 118
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    I hope this rumor is true. I'm holding on to my antiquated 3GS for one more year, just in case.
  • Reply 63 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, and I haven't had a single application crash in mavericks- and I updated to the OS while having hundreds of apps. It's not an OS or safari issue. They've been rock-solid for me.  

I haven't used my home iMac to see if it does it there or not.  Regardless- disk utility- here I come.  ;)

• Reply 64 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I realize that’s a joke, but this is Apple, after all.

A lot of people said that the iPad didn't need to be smaller. They are right in a way. The iPad didn't need to be smaller, but the Mini sure added a helluva lot to Apple's bottom line and, imo, it invigorated the iPad lineup.

• Reply 65 of 118
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

But everything will have to be re-written!!

lol- Where's all the old-time naysayers? There would never be an iPad mini- and definitely never a Retina.

Now they will just change their story and say "Apple was planning to do it all along".

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will not make a phone.

Apple will not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody needs copy and paste.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

• Reply 66 of 118
    satalite wrote: »
    Apple is so late to this. People don't want small 5" screens anymore we've moved to 6" screens where you can't even carry it!

/s

Apple was also late to MP3 players, smartphones and tablets. TVs and watches for that matter.
  • Reply 67 of 118
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    haggar wrote: »
    Now they will just change their story and say "Apple was planning to do it all along".

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.
    Apple will not make a phone.
    Apple will not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.
    Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody needs copy and paste.
    Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

You forgot Apple will not make a left click/ right click mouse!
    Cheers!
  • Reply 68 of 118
    I like a range of sizes for smart phones. A 6" makes sense as does a 4". My wife does not like the current iPhone because it is too big for her pockets. Apple should also go the other direction and make a tiny iPhone with a 3" screen.
  • Reply 69 of 118
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

If I can use it with one hand and put it in a normal sized pocket then I'm fine with it. If not, it might as well be trash. Those super screen phones are for women and their purses.

Exactly.  I'd hate to have to buy a man-purse just for a big-screen iPhone.

No way I'm getting a disco-bag.  And definitely not one of those really tiny little backpacks.

• Reply 70 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

If I can use it with one hand and put it in a normal sized pocket then I'm fine with it. If not, it might as well be trash. Those super screen phones are for women and their purses.

charming

• Reply 71 of 118

Personally, I don't get how this whole "Apple is doomed if it does not make the iPhone BIGGER" meme has now latched on even with some pro-Apple commenters. 

In my experience, even the iPhone 5/c/s form factor is pushing things if we're prioritizing one-handed operation.  While the extra screen real estate is nice in many instances, it is also a tradeoff because the 3.5" iOS devices were definitely a lot easier to operate with one hand and to carry in a front pocket.  I don't want a larger device, and I don't think I'm alone.  If Apple comes out with a larger variant, I'm fine with that, so long as they don't move exclusively to those larger form factors.  If they go edge-to-edge and install a larger screen within the existing exterior dimensions, even better.  And if Apple does retain the smaller screen sizes, I also don't want the iPhone to follow Android's lead in basically gimping the smaller screened models. 

Let's not lose track of why these megascreened Android phones came about in the first place -- because that was the only way that they could fit the much larger battery needed to power those devices.  It started out as a necessity, and they managed to market the larger screens as a feature.  But, for consumers that want a smaller screen, they have to settle for second tier devices. 

As evidenced by the iPhone 5s, Apple can make their devices lighter and more compact, yet still deliver class-leading performance and decent battery life. If Apple was to make a larger phone, they have options to push the envelope with performance and/or battery life.  Hopefully, the new iPad mini is a sign that if Apple chooses to go with multiple screen sizes, the smaller models won't get left behind.

• Reply 72 of 118
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Exactly.  I'd hate to have to buy a man-purse just for a big-screen iPhone.

No way I'm getting a disco-bag.  And definitely not one of those really tiny little backpacks.

Here is a thought, don't buy one! How hard is that? Apple will continue to make a 4" version even if they make a larger one as well. A larger iPhone would still undoubtedly be smaller than a Galaxy S4 and that fits in a front pant pocket very easily. 

• Reply 73 of 118
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

... What a wider product base does do, however, is increase complexity on both sides of the aisle. Well, all three sides if you consider Apple’s production and development to be a side.

That is exactly what I meant. My concern is that Apple might creating a "wider product base" that will water down the brand as it did just prior to Jobs' return to Apple. The first thing Jobs did was trim the product line down and just focus on 4 computers. Two for consumers and two for power users. It was clear and easy to grasp for the consumer. However, now days look at the Apple Store. Trying to decide which computer to buy is like a maze for some. Personally, I prefer more choice. But my fear is that the brand is becoming watered down by continuous product announcements. Where has the excitement gone? When was the last time you were sick with anticipation over the possibility that Apple might come out with a new product? 

• Reply 74 of 118
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

The first thing Jobs did was trim the product line down and just focus on 4 computers. Two for consumers and two for power users. It was clear and easy to grasp for the consumer. 

My problem in that regard is with their naming schemes. My stars, if they’d just call it ‘iPad’ we could solve this whole thing! iPad. Available in 7.9”, 9.7”, and 12”. iPhone. One name, always the same. Three ages at once. Next year the mid-range iPhone will be “iPhone 5SC”. Come on, Apple. Were it just iPhone, iPhone, and iPhone, customers would see the difference in the hardware. They have great charts for comparison already.

They can have more products, easily, if they just streamline the names.

When was the last time you were sick with anticipation over the possibility that Apple might come out with a new product?  

Five seconds ago. I know of many products Apple could release to change the world. Again. I know that most of them require a few more years development, but I’m confident they’ll be realized. There’s big stuff happening.

• Reply 75 of 118
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    city wrote: »

Obvious Prediction: iPads with Touch ID next year for everybody, not just Tim and a few of his co-workers!

I may now wait a year as my 5s has spoiled me bypassing passcodes. I simply can't go backwards.
    I predict a spring/summer refresh. The iPad Air s.
  • Reply 76 of 118
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

My problem in that regard is with their naming schemes. My stars, if they’d just call it ‘iPad’ we could solve this whole thing! iPad. Available in 7.9”, 9.7”, and 12”. iPhone. One name, always the same. Three ages at once. Next year the mid-range iPhone will be “iPhone 5SC”. Come on, Apple. Were it just iPhone, iPhone, and iPhone, customers would see the difference in the hardware. They have great charts for comparison already.

They can have more products, easily, if they just streamline the names.

Five seconds ago. I know of many products Apple could release to change the world. Again. I know that most of them require a few more years development, but I’m confident they’ll be realized. There’s big stuff happening.

Yes, I think you are right about the naming. It would definitely help if the names were streamlined. 

Oh I can drive myself crazy with all of the possible products. I just mean that the public is becoming jaded with the Apple special events every month. Yes, I am exaggerating. But the point is that I have started feeling deflated after these events. Back in the day I would wait for that, "oh and one more thing." announcement. There was the secrecy, so you didn't know what to expect. Now it seems that everything is pre-announced before it is announced. I don't want to be one of those living in the past. I just don't want to see a return to the past, the early-mid 1990's that is.

• Reply 77 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

That is exactly what I meant. My concern is that Apple might creating a "wider product base" that will water down the brand as it did just prior to Jobs' return to Apple. The first thing Jobs did was trim the product line down and just focus on 4 computers. Two for consumers and two for power users. It was clear and easy to grasp for the consumer. However, now days look at the Apple Store. Trying to decide which computer to buy is like a maze for some. Personally, I prefer more choice. But my fear is that the brand is becoming watered down by continuous product announcements. Where has the excitement gone? When was the last time you were sick with anticipation over the possibility that Apple might come out with a new product? 

Let's see:

iMac - introduced during Job's tenure

Mac Mini - introduced during Job's tenure

Mac Pro -  - introduced during Job's tenure

MacBook Air -  - introduced during Job's tenure

MacBook Pro - introduced during Job's tenure

That's confusing? What's confusing is to say, basically, that Steve simplified things. Steve also introduced everything in the lineup except for the iPad mini (and the 5c).

Continuous product announcements? Once a year is too many???

Hmmmmm....

For the last 3 years Apple has had three phones for sale.

Next year Apple will have 3 phones for sale.

Confusing?

• Reply 78 of 118
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

For the last 3 years Apple has had three phones for sale. Next year Apple will have 3 phones for sale.

Confusing?

Of these, which are the best:

iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5SC, iPhone 6, iPhone 6C, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6SC, iPhone 7.

• Reply 79 of 118
    Quote:

Of these, which are the best:

iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5SC, iPhone 6, iPhone 6C, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6SC, iPhone 7.

Well, if Apple sticks with its naming convention then I suspect we'll see:

iPhone 6 - 4.3" - 4.5"

iPhone 5s - no need to tell you what that is

iPhone 5c - no need to tell you what that is

2015 will be the confusing year. Where the hell do you go from here (above)? Transporter? Flux capacitor? Phaser?

• Reply 80 of 118
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, if Apple sticks with its naming convention then I suspect we'll see:

iPhone 6 - 4.3" - 4.5"

iPhone 5s - no need to tell you what that is

iPhone 5c - no need to tell you what that is

That doesn’t make sense. What year is this, next?

2014:

iPhone 6

iPhone 5SC

iPhone 5C

2015:

iPhone 6S

iPhone 6C

iPhone 5SC

2016:

iPhone 7

iPhone 6SC

iPhone 6C