Google unveils new Nexus 5 with M7-like motion tracker, Android 4.4 KitKat

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131

and they say iOS is a rip off of android because the "colours are similar" and crap.

• Reply 122 of 131
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

and they say iOS is a rip off of android because the "colours are similar" and crap.

Maybe they hired ex-Google employees that got sick of Google's crap OS that only a small percentage ever uses the latest version.

Actually, Google has been copying Apple for quite some time. I have a sweatshirt that had the word Apple on it and it's in a simlar font that Google uses and each letter is a different color and that sweatshirt was made before Google even started.  Google does a LOT of things similar to Apple.

I know there are similarities here and there, but a lot of Google's look originally came by copying Apple. 

Either way, it's going to be interesting to see if they can pull off transferring the installed base over to one release of OS. Personally, I don't see them doing it.  I doubt Samsung is going to bother making all of the products they currently sell and have been selling for the past couple of years over to KitKat.  If they do, I will be VERY surprised.    I'm sure they'll do the higher priced models, but the cheap ones?  I doubt it. Time will tell.  IT will take them entirely too long to do it. They would have to have a HUGE team of developers working on every model (over 100) at the same time?  Yeah, right.  Not gonna happen.

• Reply 123 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The Nexus series has an open boot loader so there is no security exploit. The Nexus series of devices is among the the easiest to flash a new ROM. It takes all of 5 minutes after you download the ROM you wish to flash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's fairly easy to port Android 4.4 to the TI chip, in fact it's already be done. Ounce the guys over at XDA get the source it normally takes a day or two for a ROM to pop up. I know the manufactures suck when it comes to supporting their software but where they have failed the developer community has come in to pick up the slack. The original Android phone the HTC G1 has a 4.4 update now. Some ROMS support over the air updates as well so you only have to flash your device once and then you'll have the latest Android OS for at least 5 years.

eft that, what a hassle. Ill just buy a three year old iPhone or newer and plug it in to update to the best OS there is and be done with it. My son in law has a POS droid dork phone - a $100 LG something or the other. Poor Kid, he shakes his head at that mistake all the time. "Never again" he says about dork phones. He learned a lesson... I, fortunately would never be so stupid to buy a droid dork phone. I just want to use my phone as the bad-ass machine that it is without all the BS.

• Reply 124 of 131
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    jirv311 wrote: »
    That was introduced in Jelly Bean. 

And just because Google now owns Motorola Mobility doesn't mean the Nexus 5 wasn't already in dev with LG and also doesn't mean Google and Motorola are one company just in a weekend.

You're right about zooming into apps. My mistake. But the way the apps fly onto the screen at different speeds is new, they used to just zoom in altogether.
  • Reply 125 of 131
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I would agree with you on the screen size.  But, believe it or not I've talked to a lot of people that actually don't like the larger screen phones.   They want something thin, small, light weight, obviously good resolution. I personally prefer something larger, but I won't buy Android anything. I made that decision a LONG time ago.  I just won't buy a smartphone/tablet from a non-computer company.   I chose Apple OS X a LONG time ago over Windows, I like the fact that the mobile devices Apple makes work well and are designed purposely to work well with the desktop and that's what I enjoy. Out of my three devices, the iPhone gets the least amount of use since I'm at home most of the time and work on the desktop and I don't make or take tons of calls.  I've always preferred email or face to face and leave cell phone calls to a minimum.   But I like using an app on any device and it gets sync'd to the others.

To each his own, of course.  To me, the screen is a huge part of the user experience.  And I am not going to be squinting every time I use my phone just for the privilege of using iOS.  On the other hand, I fully understand how somebody with smaller hands might find the large phone trend uncomfortable.  In my mind there, needs to be two phone sizes.  And increasingly, in the Android ecosystem there seems to be a trend to three sizes on all the major product lines.  Look at HTC with the One, One Mini and One Max.

Also, for me, quite frankly, I find that I use the Google apps the most (GMail, Maps, Hangouts).  That means, syncing also isn't much of an issue for me.  No matter what device I'm on.  Use Chrome on my Mac, and it's all synced.  Same on my iPad.  And my phone.

• Reply 126 of 131
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Here's what I am noticing, Google has to have their OS on the market for about 6 months before we see the OEMs releasing their version of it.  So, Google has to release a 64bit ARMv8 phone w/OS 6 months before the others can start offering the OS on their phone.

Now, Scamscum said that their next Galaxy phone would be 64bit, but they typically announce their flagship phone around May timeframe.

So, what I'm thinking is that the Scamscum S5 will be a 64bit processor not running a 64bit OS.  OR, it won't be a 64bit processor running KitKat.

I think Android is going to slowly go down hill for the top end phone.  I think once Apple starts shipping their large screen model,  they'll start cleaning up as they will have a 64 bit phone/tablet, 64bit OS, and plenty of 64bit apps.   More compelling story/reason to pay the Apple premium prices.

I'd argue that I'm in that target market.  And guess what?  If I didn't already have Apple kit (iPad, iMac, Apple TV) and use certain Apple apps, I would not consider the iPhone at all.  The premium is getting markedly ridiculous.  Benchmark tests have the Nexus 5 at just below the 5S and above the 5C.  64-bit is nothing more than a marketing bullet to the average person.  I find it very unusual and downright amusing, that all the Apple fans who usually disdain spec sheet talk all of a sudden sound exactly like all the annoying Android fanatics who did that over the years.  Apparently, the irony is lost on the lot of you.  Most people don't and won't care about 64 bit because very few people will be buying apps that need that kind of horsepower.

The 5S is ~$800 with tax and shipping in Canada.  The Nexus 5 is $411 with tax and shipping.  There is a very narrow justification and use case that overcome that kind of price differential.

• Reply 127 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

To each his own, of course.  To me, the screen is a huge part of the user experience.  And I am not going to be squinting every time I use my phone just for the privilege of using iOS.  On the other hand, I fully understand how somebody with smaller hands might find the large phone trend uncomfortable.  In my mind there, needs to be two phone sizes.  And increasingly, in the Android ecosystem there seems to be a trend to three sizes on all the major product lines.  Look at HTC with the One, One Mini and One Max.

Also, for me, quite frankly, I find that I use the Google apps the most (GMail, Maps, Hangouts).  That means, syncing also isn't much of an issue for me.  No matter what device I'm on.  Use Chrome on my Mac, and it's all synced.  Same on my iPad.  And my phone.

Actually, I think that EVERY mobile device (tablet, notebook, laptop) should have the OPTION of adding cellular and that we could have multiple devices connected to the same phone number. So which ever device we use, it takes over when we answer or call someone, but we can always be on wi-fi and cellular data linked to the same number. So if someone calls, all devices ring at the same time until it's picked up.
  • Reply 128 of 131
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Confirmed for no IR blaster. Seriously Google?
  • Reply 129 of 131

copying what bro even google now its beating the crap of siri 

• Reply 130 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

copying what bro even google now its beating the crap of siri 

Voice commands is still in it's infancy.  I've used Siri when it worked and when it didn't work, just like i've used Google's whatever they call it, and it worked and didn't work.

Using voice commands is not the most commonly used feature of a smartphone or tablet for me and it's not part of the decision making process when considering a new device.  It's one of those "great if it's there, but it's not a big deal if it isn't" type of features.

• Reply 131 of 131

finger scanning?