J.D. Power ranks Samsung tablets better than iPad entirely due to cost

Comments

• Reply 101 of 219
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Oh gimme a break.  The world knows that Apple's tablets are the Lexuses (Lexi?) of tablets.

This says more about the shrinking importance and credibility of JDP than it does about Apple.

• Reply 102 of 219
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/telecom/ratings/919201690/2013-Tablet+Satisfaction+Study/index.htm

The 2013 U.S. Tablet Satisfaction Study--Volume 2 is based on experiences evaluated by 3,375 tablet owners who have owned their current device for less than one year. The study was fielded between March and August 2013. The study measures satisfaction across five key factors (in order of importance): performance (26%); ease of operation (22%); styling and design (19%); features (17%); and cost (16%).

Based on this criteria.. yea... the ranking for price might have done it... apple only lost by 2 points in total.

Yeah, and the timeframe too...

The iPad 4 and iPad mini were announced on Oct 23, 2012, and the new ones on Oct 22, 2013.

So, the older iPads were 5 months old, and the new iPads were not yet announced. In other words, the study was conducted in the middle of Apples product cycle...

I wonder if this skews the study in any way.

I am curious what particular devices were involved, and what their ratings were.
  • Reply 103 of 219
    So cost outweighs performance, ease of use and features? What the hell are you buying a tablet for if it is not performance, features and ease of use?

Didn't JD Powers earlier show that the iPad had the highest user satisfaction? Enough said.
  • Reply 104 of 219
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yeah, the iPad Air, which has been getting the most positive reviews I've literally ever read for any Apple product, ever, being the best performing, best battery life, best build quality, thinnest, and lightest tablet of that class with no perceivable shortcomings, is evidence that Apple is "resting on their laurels".

Also, completely redesigning pretty much their entire hardware lineup during the past 2 years, their mobile OS, as well as all their major software. is more evidence of them "resting". 

Love how all the trolls have come out with this rigged survey. 

Devil in the details: "*Please note that JDPower.com Ratings may not include all information used to determine J.D. Power awards."

I'd love to know what additional information JDPower used to put Samsung over the edge. Call me cynical but I get the feeling they purposely tweaked the score to put Samsung on top because that would get more attention. Apple winning these things gets boring after a while.
  • Reply 105 of 219
    Money under the table. If there were a way to know for sure, I would bet on it. Many examples in the past of 'trusted' organizations taking payoffs for such things.
  • Reply 106 of 219
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    As with most other things in life, you get what you pay for.
  • Reply 107 of 219
    J.D. Power and Associates, sponsored by Samsung.

A Chevy Spark v Mercedes CLA show down would be a walk over for Chevy. Trader Joe's Two Buck Chuck will wipe out the high end wine industry ... Oh J.D. Power and Associates have really started a new trend here!

Hey... don't badmouth Two Buck Chuck...

No wine before its time!

Actually, I prefer the wines with a plastic "cork" to those with a screw-off top :D
  • Reply 108 of 219
    frood wrote: »
    For years, J.D. Power was *the* expert on rankings.  Then they stopped ranking Apple #1.  They are obviously now "paid off dummyheads" that don't know anything about anything!!

That said, this looks like someone made a mistake, unless they have some kind of statement explaining the logic(?) of why Samsung came in first despite the lower scores.

This doesn't add up and you know it.
  • Reply 109 of 219
    You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 110 of 219
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Yeah well the thing is the bottom of the line model should be 32GB on all iOS devices, and then DOUBLE the ram for $100, up and up. Cause getting 16GB of flash storage for an extra $100 is so 5 years ago. iOS minimum of 32 GB! That's where they need to be. Especially for an iPad! That's just ridiculous. I don't care what everybody else is doing or what their prices are. A 16 GB device is a waste. Here's another thing if they gave the extra 16 GB "away" and people had 32 GB they would feel more relaxed about adding more 1 GB apps and maybe even buying more 2 GB shows and movies. It's just better all around for everyone... DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB, yer dummin -Funkdoobiest
  • Reply 111 of 219
    frood wrote: »
    For years, J.D. Power was *the* expert on rankings.  Then they stopped ranking Apple #1.  They are obviously now "paid off dummyheads" that don't know anything about anything!!

That said, this looks like someone made a mistake, unless they have some kind of statement explaining the logic(?) of why Samsung came in first despite the lower scores.

This doesn't add up and you know it.

Yep... I call ranking gate!

Everybody knows the MS Surface tablets should be no lower than 2 or 3...

Or, maybe, JDP are trying to say that SammyTabs are really rank :D
  • Reply 112 of 219
    1 + 1 = 3. Samsung wins. Why is that so hard for you apple fanboys to understand?
  • Reply 113 of 219
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Feel free to email JD power:

[email protected]

I sent mine. I do want clarification... after all, JD Powers is typically well regarded... but maybe its all smoke in truth.

• Reply 114 of 219
    Waiting to hear how Samsung paid JD Power then say it was a administrative mistake. Aside from that competition is good for consumers!
  • Reply 115 of 219

Ho, ho, ho...

There's a little something you need to know about J.D. Power Awards (emphasis mine):

Quote:

J.D. Power and Associates' marketing research consists primarily of consumer surveys. The company bears the cost of developing and administering specific surveys with sample sizes of between several hundred and over 100,000.[4] J.D. Power ratings are based on the survey responses of randomly selected and/or specifically targeted consumers. J.D. Power relies on consumer reporting for study results as well as in-house vehicle testing for opinion based reviews in Blogs.

Although publicly known for the endorsement value of its product awards, J.D. Power obtains the majority of its revenue from corporations that seek the data collected from J.D. Power surveys for internal use.[1] Companies which have used J.D. Power surveys range from automotive, cellphone, and computer manufacturers to home builders and utility companies. To be able to use the J.D. Power logo and to quote the survey results in advertising, companies must pay a licensing fee to J.D. Power. These advertisement licensing fees, however, form a small part of J.D. Power's revenues, but a substantial portion of earnings.[1] In the 1990s, J.D. Power tightened its rules on awards advertising to prevent excessive use of the J.D. Power logo.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Power_and_Associates

It's really a "paid award". How did you think these things actually happened?

• Reply 116 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Going by the survey's own weighting, as JD has explicitly stated, we get the following:

Can someone please explain, mathematically, how Samsung could have come out on top, in any way whatsoever?

Overall tablet ranking score was based upon 1000 point scale.   How many points does your list have?

They also do not seem to explicitly state whether the overall score is the weighted average of 5 sub-scores, or an additional factor measured within their survey.  Ie, people answered six questions (performance, ease, styling, features, price and overall satisfaction)

• Reply 117 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ho, ho, ho...

There's a little something you need to know about J.D. Power Awards (emphasis mine):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Power_and_Associates

It's really a "paid award". How did you think these things actually happened?

So, if in years past when apple was ranking highly, what would have been your feedback to somebody posting your commentary back at you?

• Reply 118 of 219
    This is what a $5B marketing budget CAN and WILL do to the fruit company!
  • Reply 119 of 219

Can't help but think of the guy who made up a fake restaurant with a deliberately terrible wine selection, submitted a $250 application to Wine Spectator, and won an Excellence Award over the phone.

http://blindtaste.com/2008/08/15/what-does-it-take-to-get-a-wine-spectator-award-of-excellence/

• Reply 120 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

So, if in years past when apple was ranking highly, what would have been your feedback to somebody posting your commentary back at you?

I'd still agree that it's technically a phony award. I've known about their "policy" since they started appearing in car ads.

Here's a little story from the car side of things:  http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/06/who-exactly-is-j-d-power/

And here's another, for good measure:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-trouble-with-jd-powers-initial-quality-study-feature