• Reply 41 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

I'm really curious what names they choose to go with for these releases:

Sequoia

Yosemite

Sonoma

Hollywood (not likely)

If it's anything other than Goose, I'll be disappointed.

• Reply 42 of 108
    OS X 10.10 Adobe Creek
  • Reply 43 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Sequoia

Yosemite

Sonoma

Hollywood (not likely)

California?

• Reply 44 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by studentx View Post

East Los Angeles

South Central

Inglewood

Crenshaw

LOL'd hard at this. Priceless!!  :D 

• Reply 45 of 108
    tlevier wrote: »

Sequoia
    Yosemite
    Sonoma
    Hollywood (not likely)

I vote for Compton, because reasons.
  • Reply 46 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I'd like Messages to loose the bubbly Aqua look.

Right-click in the message area and select Boxes or Compact.

• Reply 47 of 108
    Wait what? OS 10.10??? That's the same as 10.1!!!
  • Reply 48 of 108
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Wait what? OS 10.10??? That's the same as 10.1!!!

Are 10 and 1 the same number?

• Reply 49 of 108
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

What is weird about it? Plenty of software uses the same version number scheme. Also it's not more "mathematically weird" than say 10.8.3 as a version number. Versions numbers != mathematical values and they were never meant to be.

Fair enough.  But you'll admit that "Mac OS X 10.10" i.e., "Mac OS 10 10 point 10" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

• Reply 50 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Fair enough.  But you'll admit that "Mac OS X 10.10" i.e., "Mac OS 10 10 point 10" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Nor does Mac OS 10 10 point 8 point 3 or any other combination. That's why you simply refer to it by the code name.

• Reply 51 of 108
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

OSX: Compton. All the chrome has a gold chain look and Siri has been renamed to Ho. She will also respond to Yo B*tch

Actually, I think Android already does that. 

• Reply 52 of 108
    Quote:

OSX: Compton. All the chrome has a gold chain look and Siri has been renamed to Ho. She will also respond to Yo B*tch

I think Android phones already do that, since every time I hear someone f with their Android phone, they aren't talking normal English, they are swearing at it.  It's either that or they are talking to someone on the other end of the line.

• Reply 53 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not small, probably California, and I’d bet that OS X is supplanted before 2020.

I honestly don't know how they can improve on a desktop OS other than the direction they are already going.  IF they did, they would have to make the OS completely different look from a workflow perspective.  I'm sure Apple will change the theme, but the way it works otherwise just gets minor enhancements and changes, but I don't think it will get a completely new moniker of OS XI or X or anything like that.

Judging from the way they are making a lot of the apps, they might go to the black look, but I don't know if it will be called anything other than OS X  10.X.

I highly doubt Apple will even change to touchscreen laptops and desktops.   Ergonomic studies have proven that's a failure which is why Windows 8.x adoption hasn't been so great.

• Reply 54 of 108
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Ergonomic studies have proven that's a failure which is why Windows 8.x adoption hasn't been so great.

That’s just because every implementation thus far has been a monumental, incompetent failure. Also Microsoft products, but if we’re talking strictly the hardware, it’s implementation that is at fault.

• Reply 55 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s just because every implementation thus far has been a monumental, incompetent failure. Also Microsoft products, but if we’re talking strictly the hardware, it’s implementation that is at fault.

No, it has nothing to do with implementation of a touch screen for laptop/desktop.  It's just the ergonomics of positioning of the screen and arm movement.   The way a laptop and desktop is normally positioned, it's normal for your hands to rest on a keyboard unless you have the screen at a flatter surface that closer to you.

I've seen large screen desktops in positions for demos where the screen lies almost flat and you are positioned more on top of the screen, but in order to reach all four corners of the screen, it can cause some shoulder pain after a while.  For short periods of time or only doing it once in a while, it's not so bad, but on a regular basis for long periods of time it's not so good on large screens, especially.

Dell has their AIO that adjusts to almost flat, but just moving your hand to reach all four corners on a 27inch screen gets painful after a while.

I've seen people demoing software on a flat screen that was laying almost flat, but they didn't demo the software for anything longer than maybe 5 to 10 minutes and they were talking half of the time.

There is a certain size area for a touch screen mobile device that can be used until it starts to become painful to use over longer periods of time.  I don't know what that size is, but it's not going to be much more than maybe 13 or 15 inch is my guess, but then again I would have to have various sized screens to see what feels too big and what doesn't. 

I don't see a lot of people lined up to use that Surface table at the Microsoft stores for hours on end. Do you?  I think it's a novelty and maybe designed to be used by several people at once, but I don't think it's a useful size, even laying flat.

• Reply 56 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Are 10 and 1 the same number?

No but 10.1 and 10.10 are. Whose talking about 10? The real answer to this question is "it's not a number" not "is 10 the same as 1" because you have to know that the dot is not a decimal point to grok that the the .10 is a dot ten not a point one. Less sneering, more explaining.

I think ten ten does roll off the tongue, in a way that ten point eight doesn't. They could even use two Roman numerals. Feck the beaches.

Mac OS Xx
  • Reply 57 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Mavericks is amazing. I have absolutely no idea how they can get better. Just hope they now keep the battery saving features from Mavs.

Yep. I can't think of a single additional feature that I would ask for, nor any performance requests, as it just flies, and is rock solid. Honestly, I would be completely satisfied if all they did was refresh the OS visually for the next version, and not add a single feature. It's starting to look very dated, and I think the general iOS7 style can be adapted to the desktop, unlike previous iOS versions that would have looked tacky. I'm not the biggest fan of all of iOS7s design decisions, but it's simplicity and lack of chrome make it very flexible and robust in terms of adapting to different screen sizes and input methods. 

Quote:

Mavericks is great. The only complaint I have is with the new Pages. I tried opening a previous file and there was some floating text that it would not let me edit. I had to revert back to the previous version of Pages just to work on it. I've deleted the new Pages from my Mac but now I get the upgrade notification in the Mac App Store which will not go away......that is pissing me off. Same thing with iMovie on my old 2008 iMac, I can't upgrade because of my hardware which is fine but I can't get rid of the upgrade notification in the app store telling to upgrade to the new iMovie. This is stupid.

Uh, just hide the update, and it will disable all future notifications. And there's nothing "stupid" about it informing you of updates. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Also, it's time to enforce the Mac App Store for it to really take off. Dropbox, Chrome, Firefox, Transmission, Thunderbird, VLC, etc... What are they waiting for?

Steam would have to play nicely, too. The advantages are just tremendous (simplicity, ease of use, updates, apps would be forced to play nicely, comments and opinions always there, no malware or anything like it, etc.).

In an ideal world, I would agree with you. Having all apps in the appstore would greatly benefit the MAJORITY of users, in terms of stability, reliability, all updates from one source, a history of all your purchases, being able to easily restore all your applications from the cloud like iOS, etc. Like I said, MOST users. However, there are alot of use case scenarios, especially in development, that this would not work for many. The outcry would be massive. The best compromise is for major apps to have an option to download their apps from the appstore (ie. firefox/chrome/office/adobe suite/etc). However, these companies will most likely never do this, because of political, financial, and technical reasons. Which sucks, because I would always choose to download something from the appstore if its available. It's such a fucking headache having each application with its own update mechanism, own notification systems, etc. Would make life alot easier and cleaner if it was from one source, but again, unless it's forced (which it never will be) I predict most major apps will never make their way to the store. Then again, even though it can't compare to the iOS appstore, the Mac appstore is still an excellent addition and I've already downloaded nearly a hundred applications using it. The fact that OS updates are built in make things so much cleaner also. 

• Reply 58 of 108
    Um... Not to correct Apple on how the decimal system works, but they can't do 10.10. It's already been done, it was called Puma! 10.1, 10.10, 10.100 = same thing.

It SHOULD be called OS XI or 11.0.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    shaunvis wrote: »
    Um... Not to correct Apple on how the decimal system works, but they can't do 10.10. It's already been done, it was called Puma! 10.1, 10.10, 10.100 = same thing.

Dude. Read the thread.
  • Reply 60 of 108
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunvis View Post

Unbelievable. I don't know how many times it needs to be said. The point is NOT A DECIMAL SEPARATOR. IT NEVER HAS BEEN. IT NEVER WILL BE.