Samsung tempers expectations for a 64-bit Android answer to Apple's A7

Comments

• Reply 101 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Yup, you totally missed the joke.  No worries though, I agree that the A7 is not half-baked or rushed.

So then it's nothing like the Samsung products (Galaxy Gear) and software (S-voice and all the other S-tweedledee and S-tweedledum crap) that is mocked for that very reason which is the premise of your "joke".

• Reply 102 of 172
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You do realize you contradict yourself here.
    jamesmac wrote: »
    Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't think of auto-layout in iOS 1 doesn't it?
    They where working on a break through product at the time. Even if they wanted the feature or even thought about it at the time, you can't roll everything into release #1.
    Seems a bit of a shame to me that Apple has lost the entire Phablet market plus all of the market for people who want phones > 4".  
    What market? This idea that there is a huge market for these devices has been squashed by Samsung themselves as they have indicated a strong cooling in that sector. It is very much a niche market now, all the idiots that needed the latest and greatest have moved on to something else.
    It's not like Samsung has gained hugely because of this little oversight, or that many people actually buy non-Apple phones > 4";
    So what has Apple really lost here?
    actually I'm pretty sure that every other manufacturer's flagship phone is <3".  And it's not like much of Apple's profits are tied up with the iPhone either..so no reason to rush...hell if we get a 4.5" screen in 2015, that's good enough for me.
    Now if you get that phone how long will you be willing to carry it around with you constantly? This is the problem, the big screen has appeal no doubt, but physical realities often trumps the big screen appeal. Honestly at times I wish that my iPhone 4 was smaller.
  • Reply 103 of 172
    Please don't ever try and run a company.

You posted completely worthless comments and then respond like this? Apple is I fact a company and is running very well indeed. If there is a significant market for the larger devices Apple will go after it when they have the right technology. Right now though there isn't a good reason to even bother going after the large cell phone market. Apples products aren't just hardware, as such they need a complete solution.

Honestly your comments make about as much sense as the analyst that insist that Apple needs to make a low end phone even though they already do that with the 4S. It just demonstrates a lack of understanding as to what Apple markets.
  • Reply 104 of 172
    jungmark wrote: »
    In that case Apple lost the feature phone race, the appliance race, the tablet-PC hybrid race, the mega phablets race, the tiny screen race, etc...

Completely silly his comments. Hell Apple lost the hybrid car race, the electric car race, the Adam radio race, the powered speaker race and just about every other consumer crap product race. I really have to wonder why he bothered to even post in defense of his obvious misunderstanding of reality.
  • Reply 105 of 172

Oh Samsung....

• Reply 106 of 172
    Yeah, I know what you mean.  These trendy kids keep wanting to use their phones to play games, surf the web and view images; heck I've even heard that some of them watch videos!
    Yep they do all of that but still don't want to carry around a pocketful of electronics. This is why there is still a market for dedicated gaming machines.
       If only they would stick to using a phone for what its meant to be used for, talking and texting!    I think this trend is already dying, I saw a guy using his phone to talk to someone just last week!

Did you even read the damn article and note that Samsung acknowledged that the market is cooling? By the way that doesn't mean the market is going away, just that it isn't the hot sector it once was. More importantly in your case you need to realize that it was never the massive market you imagined.
  • Reply 107 of 172
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by economics View Post

You've repeated the same mistake from your other piece about Samsung, where you compare their QoQ growth (this quarter vs the previous quarter) against Apple's YoY growth (this quarter vs the same quarter a year ago).

According to IDC (http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24418013):

Samsung's YoY growth was 40.5%, Apple's was 25.7% and the smartphone market average was 38.8%.

In the other piece you quote Samsung claiming their QoQ for high end smartphones was flat, which you interpreted as a bad thing (mostly by comparison with Apple's YoY). But they launched their main flagship S4 in one quarter, and then the Note 3 in the next so flat isn't a bad thing. Apple's Quarter's generally show massive rises when they release new phones (actually they release right at the end of a quarter so you get a small bump in that quarter, 8% this year, 3% last year, followed by a big jump the next which also happens to be christmas season) but in the following 2 quarters you generally see a QoQ decline, because many buyers have sync'd their contracts with Apple's release cycle and they know a new version is coming in 6 months or less. (some data on that: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IPhone_sales_per_quarter.svg#Data_and_references).

So, in short YoY and QoQ are different, so don't compare them, and QoQ is highly affected by seasonality, launch windows etc. so be careful even comparing QoQ against other QoQs from the same or different organisations without taking that into account.

And you make the same mistake by trying to include low end piece of junk "smartphones" in your calculations despite Samsung themselves stating high end sales are flat.

Then again, Samsung's chairman is a twice convicted criminal so who can trust anything he says, right?

• Reply 108 of 172
    Techno-hipsters may be clamoring for a larger-screened iPhone, but let me clue you in, out here in the real world, anybody who wrestles one of these ridiculous tombstone phones out of their pocket is a laughingstock. You may not see everybody rolling their eyes and smirking at each other behind your back, but believe me, they are. I see it every day on the bus, in stores, basically everywhere I go.

The iPhone's screen is already too big, in the sense that they increased its size by going to 16:9—a horrendous aspect ratio for a phone, or a tablet...or a computer monitor, for that matter. Absolutely the only screen that should be 16:9 is a TV. Period. The oddball 3:2 aspect ratio on the original iPhone was already too narrow. What they should do is eliminate the side bezel and maintain the same screen area with a 4:3 ratio.

I guarantee the people screaming for a bigger iPhone are some of the same ones who were squealing about the original iPhone being too big. Just pathological Apple-bashers and paid shills.
  • Reply 109 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So? I come here to read Apple news. Not cherry picked "festures" or "editorials" about Samsung.

Here's a suggestion, don't read them and don't show that you have read them and continue to follow the threads by making comments.

You don't have to mindlessly click every link like a robot, you know, you have freedom of choice to select items of interest to you.

I enjoy these kind of articles, in an online world dominated by pro-Samsung/Android sentiment, whether paid for or not, it's refreshing to obtain a bit more balance, so I click on them.

Stuff that looks boring or uninteresting I skip over.

• Reply 110 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

It's Apple's biggest competitor, and they are driving certain market trends, such as larger screens.

That was driven by the need to hide a larger battery in a thinner package, influenced by Apple.

If I remember the Galaxy S 2 commercials correctly, Samsung crowed about it being thinner (except for the lumpy bit at the end).

• Reply 111 of 172
    Quote:

Where exactly is Apple ahead 5 years in mobile software? I wish it were the case. I wish Apple had something that blew Google Now and Google maps out of the water.

64bit, the countdown began on September 10, 2013.

• Reply 112 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

I particularly like their innovative vacuum cleaners

Dyson doesn't, which is why they are suing Samsung for stealing their ideas.

• Reply 113 of 172
    Quote:

So? I come here to read Apple news. Not cherry picked "festures" or "editorials" about Samsung.

I really enjoy Samsung stories here and other related ones. I think they make sense in the Apple universe, especially things like "How does Samsung plan to compete in 64-bit processing?". 

• Reply 114 of 172
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Dyson doesn't, which is why they are suing Samsung for stealing their ideas.

yes, it was a joke

• Reply 115 of 172
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,584member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So DeD head is hinting Apple copied those elements from Samsung then.  They have been on show before anyone saw any aspects of iOS 7.

The Note III doesn't have 64bit architecture and it's no slouch in performance terms.  It's GPU outperforms the 5s according to Anandtech.  But seriously, the performance of all the high end phones is so impressive that arguing which one is a few percent better in specs or performance is willy waving.

Wrong on both counts. Tizen 1.0 from last year looked more like Android, and its slider controls were vertical boxes that looked like a sloppy attempt to look like OS X, rather than appropriating iOS 7’s distinctive round controls as the latest Tizen 2 does. Suggesting that Samsung doesn’t always look to Apple for its "inspiration" for everything is just embarrassing for you.

The Note III lacks the volume and thermal constraints of being a phone-sized device. It’s a small tablet. It has a "8 core" chip (four of which are large, the other four of which are anemic embedded cores) clocked far higher and is outfitted with more RAM and supported by a larger battery. It certainly is "no slouch," but it’s also expensive and not very popular outside of Korea, where is has been very popular.

But Korea is only 11% of Samsung’s TOTAL market, and "Phablets" only account for 7-10% of the market elsewhere, including China. 

The problem for Samsung and its Note III powered by an 8 core chip is that chip can’t be used in other volume devices or at all in the North American market. So all that work and investment went into Exynos low volume parts that aren’t very flexible and hog resources and cost a lot. 

Apple’s A7 performs faster, is cheaper to build, and Apple is putting it in its top selling iPhone 5s and both new iPad models. That’s mass deployment. So a large percentage of Apple’s platform will be 64-bit capable before Samsung even produces its first silicon. 

If you think processor advancements don’t matter, I invite you to read some history about the PC market. Because enabling power facilitates new jumps in capabilities. 

• Reply 116 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't think of auto-layout in iOS 1 doesn't it?

Seems a bit of a shame to me that Apple has lost the entire Phablet market plus all of the market for people who want phones > 4".  

It's not like Samsung has gained hugely because of this little oversight, or that many people actually buy non-Apple phones > 4"; actually I'm pretty sure that every other manufacturer's flagship phone is <3".  And it's not like much of Apple's profits are tied up with the iPhone either..so no reason to rush...hell if we get a 4.5" screen in 2015, that's good enough for me.

From the article.

100,000,000 Galaxy S devices not yet sold over the entire time of their existence vs 150,000,000 iPhones per year.

• Reply 117 of 172
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Sort of a curious position were there 64-bit in the works in the immediate future as this meeting as I understand it was an investor handholding session to quell some nerves about Samsung's future.

I'd think at a confidence building event you'd pull out all the stops.

• Reply 118 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

yes, it was a joke

Like Samsung.

• Reply 119 of 172
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member

I believe he was refering to the leader, of the group, that haven't created a 64-bit archtecture yet.

• Reply 120 of 172
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Is this Apple Insider or Samsung insider? Why do we need all these Samsung stories? image

Keep your enemies even closer?