Rumor: Apple television plans 'on hold,' company concentrating on wearable devices

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    Sounds mostly like analysts have no idea what Apple is going to do, and at this point Apple also quite possibly aren't sure what they want to do.

TVs are logical, but margins are low. Watch's are in the news but the market for that kind of watch will be small. Gaming is another option but again, the profits are low and competition high.

Maybe they should follow Google and build self driving cars.
  • Reply 42 of 72

I am waiting on the wearable Apple TV with a curved glass screen in a gold case.

• Reply 43 of 72
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    I don't understand why Apple cannot upgrade its existing Apple TV with an A7 processor and third party apps while working on wearable devices? Apps for Apple TV are long overdue. Apple now has the SDK and specs for iOS game controllers so all the pieces are now in place for a fantastic TV experience with iOS.

has not != cannot.

The iPad Air that blew up in Australia...wasn't an iPad Air: http://mashable.com/2013/11/10/apple-ipad-explosion-not-an-ipad-air-says-vodafone/

Waiting for the retractions or the trolls.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rumor: Apple television plans 'on hold,' company concentrating on wearable devices

NO. REALLY. A DEVICE THAT WAS NEVER GOING TO EXIST, EVER, AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, IS ‘ON HOLD’ NOW. COUNT ME SHOCKED.

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

So was Steve bluffing? It certainly wouldn't take going on to 3 years to produce what was supposedly "cracked"?

“Cracked the TV” ? “The only possible explanation is that we’re going to make a television set.”

• Reply 45 of 72
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

not a surprise.

Content is the key and the content providers are not giving in.  Apple may need to just buy out several media companies

Or let the inevitable sea change happen. Saw an article today about how media producers are finding ways to get their content into users' hands ahead of the normal channels. 

• Reply 46 of 72
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Cracked the TV” ? “The only possible explanation is that we’re going to make a television set.”

Perhaps it merely related to a purchase order for a new 50" Sony to replace a forcibly broken Samsung TV? I'm just being silly, but it kind of works.

• Reply 47 of 72
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Oh Apple. Start funding the creation of original content, like Amazon. Or buy a studio like Sony did.

They have a lot of competition already. Netflix and Hulu are also creating original content.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Am I the only one here who is finding the mobile version of AppleInsider almost unusable? Massive lag just trying to scroll through content and text entry is a nightmare. Took 3-4 times longer creating this post versus the desktop. AI...big problems here.

Agreed. It sucks.

• Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

However, it can be the 'look at the left hand... while we buy a TV company with our right'  

you think too small.

Think Parent. 

Think....

Disney.     (or... The company who's largest current stockholder(or trustee for the owner) happened to be married to Steve Jobs)

(Pixar + ESPN ABC LucasFilm Marvel, even the Muppets... and Disney India... don't laugh... bollywood is a market).

yes.

Too big, way too big and too hard to manage.

If you own the content, or large share of the content, you don't have any of the managing headaches, but all the availability to rent/sell the content. Those mentioned also have licensing deals in place that would probably prevent you from doing what you want to do. 

• Reply 50 of 72
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    My kids who are in high school and college hardly ever watch TV on the 'real' TV set. They still catch shows, but on their iPads, MacBooks, and even iPods. That's the future of large screen fixed-location TV sets. Apple wisely figured it out on the fly. Amazing how fast the landscape changes.

In a few years the networks and content providers and maybe even satellite and cable carriers will be begging the new gatekeepers (the mfrs of the devices which are the last stop between the content providers and human eyes and ears) to let them in and through. That's where the puck is going to be.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

So was Steve bluffing? It certainly wouldn't take going on to 3 years to produce what was supposedly "cracked"?

No, I think things just change THAT fast in the tach business.

• Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Agreed. It sucks.

Thanks. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with the terrible web site interactivity experience. On my iPhone, this site slows me to a crawl.

• Reply 53 of 72
    Invest in more production studios, like Pixar, so they have the leverage from the content side. Probably cheaper investment and if it does not help to leverage other content, they still have original content they can rent/sell through Apple TV channels. 

With Apple's money, they could easily fund multiple movie projects and even TV series, documentaries, specials, etc. If they start building a library of original content through iTunes and Apple TV, that could be huge. 

Unfortunately in the content creation business, money is the last concern. The brain is more important. And as the old saying go - don't get into a business you don't understand. There was only one Steve ...
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelchu View Post

Unfortunately in the content creation business, money is the last concern. The brain is more important. And as the old saying go - don't get into a business you don't understand. There was only one Steve ...

Apple gets into lots of businesses it did not start out understanding, but learned very well. Computers, Music, Phones, Mapping, Manufacturing, etc., etc.. Apple was all about hardware, then software, now content, next, content creation. I think the progression is natural. 

Finding a studio that meets your needs, such as a Pixar, then contracting with them for x% ownership of the content would be very easy, or buy out the studio for exclusive content ownership. Agreed that funding project would be the easiest way to start. 

I would guess that if Apple floated this idea around, you would have many people wanting to create new studio startups to provide Apple exclusive content. People want to be apart of the Apple ecosystem, and if Apple created the next 'Toy Story', super hero, or action franchise that is exclusive to iTunes and Apple TV, after theatrical release, or the next 'Big Bang Theory', 'Sherlock', 'Game of Thrones' tv series, would be huge for the Apple TV growth. 

You don't have to take people eyes 100% away from cable to viewing Apple TV, but as more time is spent viewing Apple TV, all other content providers will take notice. 

I see a 2014 Apple TV that allows apps (yes, gaming), and has exclusive movie/TV content, as really shaking up the home entertainment market. 

But I'm just dreaming here :) 

• Reply 55 of 72
    I don't see Apple entering the content creation space.. the opportunity here is to improve upon existing delivery, which is currently dependent on the cable/satellite companies. The fact that content providers won't budge the way that the music industry did is not surprising. While Apple could likely build some very impressive hardware, if it's dependent on a cable card or cable box, it's not going to be considered innovative.

Imagine Dish / DirecTV style programming, delivered via broadband (4G or FTTH) instead of satellite, to desktop and mobile devices, and with a much smarter Siri-ized-like interface.

I never watch cable but when I do, I HATE scrolling through an xfinite number of channels to find anything.

How much nicer to just SAY "if any Anthony Hopkins movies come on in the next three days, DVR them and strip out any commercials"

In fact, why isn't anyone doing that yet?
  • Reply 56 of 72
    gatorguy wrote: »
    FWIW the sole reason I subscribe to HBO is the original content. Started with The Soprano's years ago and continues with Game of Thrones. Creatively entertaining TV doesn't get any better.

Same reason I have fast broadband, VPN and p2p. Give me reasonable access and I'll stop.

"It's better to be a pirate than join the navy" when it comes to "original programming"...
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Apple gets into lots of businesses it did not start out understanding, but learned very well. Computers, Music, Phones, Mapping, Manufacturing, etc., etc.. Apple was all about hardware, then software, now content, next, content creation. I think the progression is natural. 

Finding a studio that meets your needs, such as a Pixar, then contracting with them for x% ownership of the content would be very easy, or buy out the studio for exclusive content ownership. Agreed that funding project would be the easiest way to start. 

I would guess that if Apple floated this idea around, you would have many people wanting to create new studio startups to provide Apple exclusive content. People want to be apart of the Apple ecosystem, and if Apple created the next 'Toy Story', super hero, or action franchise that is exclusive to iTunes and Apple TV, after theatrical release, or the next 'Big Bang Theory', 'Sherlock', 'Game of Thrones' tv series, would be huge for the Apple TV growth.  

If I was creating content then Apple would be the last people I would want to partner with to provide exclusive content.

The problem would be that your stuff would only be on Apple devices. Partner with anyone else and your on multiple devices. It doesn't matter how good Apples devices are, the fact remains most people don't have them and even if 50% of people did have them you'd still be cutting your audience in half.

• Reply 58 of 72
    I don't get the big deal on this topic!

Why? Because I have my "Apple TV" already!

My Mac mini HDMI output to my Vizio TV HDMI. With Hulu, Crackle and various other sites I have access to more movies and series than I'll ever have time to watch having new series to catch on, like Sons of Anarchy and keeping current with ones like Boardwalk Empire. My Mac mini gives me all a smart TV gives and then some (I.e. digital pic frame, music visualizer, realistic aquarium, et. al.)

;)
  • Reply 59 of 72
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Thanks. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with the terrible web site interactivity experience. On my iPhone, this site slows me to a crawl.

I'm on the App and that runs fine for me most of the time.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Where is the part forecasting wearables?

Comments quoted only discount the possibility of an Apple TV and say nothing about wearables. Maybe you should change the lede?