Rumor: Apple television plans 'on hold,' company concentrating on wearable devices

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's plans for a full-fledged television set have been placed "on hold" as the company plans to potentially launch new, wearable electronics, such as a the anticipated "iWatch," according to a new report.

Wearable Device
AppleInsider was first to discover an Apple patent filing describing a watch design with flexible display.

Citing sources in the television industry supply chain, NPD DisplaySearch reported on Monday that its sources say Apple is no longer pushing to launch a television set in the next year. Paul Gagnon, director of North American TV Research for DisplaySearch, said Apple's initial plans were "far from concrete," but that the company originally planned to launch a television lineup in the second half of 2014.

Sources reportedly indicated that one of the "principle reasons" for the alleged delay is Apple's apparent inability to obtain "proprietary content not available on other devices." Such content would give Apple's platform the ability to stand out from competitors and find success in the cutthroat television set business.

The growth of devices like the existing Apple TV set-top box, Roku player and Google's new Chromecast streamer have also negated the need for a full-fledged "smart TV" for many consumers.

"Indeed, the existing Apple TV box may be an impediment to Apple's success with a smart TV product, which as a category, is not growing in the U.S. as many had hoped for," Gagnon wrote. "Our most recent smart TV forecast is that they will only account for about a quarter of TV shipments in 2013, and grow very slowly from there, with the focus on low-end premium models."

Rumors of a full-fledged television set from Apple are not new, though speculation about such a device has died down in recent months. Instead, industry watchers are anticipating that Apple will release a so-called "iWatch" within the next year.

And though rumors of a television set have died down, Apple is rumored to have a hardware refresh for its "beloved hobby" in the works, which last saw new silicon in March 2012. It's been claimed that the next-generation Apple TV set-top box may include new control methods to enhance the experience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    Or waiting for the availability of a three d screen that does not require glasses.

Previous poster nailed the lack of original material I think.

Should open their own production studio(s)
  • Reply 2 of 72
    Oh Apple. Start funding the creation of original content, like Amazon. Or buy a studio like Sony did.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    I would say that it's these rumours are far less than concrete.
  • Reply 4 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

not a surprise.

Content is the key and the content providers are not giving in.  Apple may need to just buy out several media companies

Invest in more production studios, like Pixar, so they have the leverage from the content side. Probably cheaper investment and if it does not help to leverage other content, they still have original content they can rent/sell through Apple TV channels. 

With Apple's money, they could easily fund multiple movie projects and even TV series, documentaries, specials, etc. If they start building a library of original content through iTunes and Apple TV, that could be huge. 

• Reply 5 of 72
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

My take on this is that these "analysts" are just making shit up at this point.

• Reply 6 of 72
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Better an upgraded Apple TV than no iTV at all. Still think they could make a killing in the gaming console market if they wanted too, and then jump off from there into proprietary content creation/supply market when they can. All the hardware and software required for such a device is already available.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    OMG, Gene Munster's gonna jump off the Tallahatchie Bridge!
  • Reply 8 of 72
    You know...I am just gonna wait till product release....
    these rumours are going haywire.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by virtua View Post

I would say that it's these rumours are far less than concrete.

However, it can be the 'look at the left hand... while we buy a TV company with our right'  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Invest in more production studios, like Pixar, so they have the leverage from the content side. Probably cheaper investment and if it does not help to leverage other content, they still have original content they can rent/sell through Apple TV channels. 

With Apple's money, they could easily fund multiple movie projects and even TV series, documentaries, specials, etc. If they start building a library of original content through iTunes and Apple TV, that could be huge. 

you think too small.

Think Parent. 

Think....

Disney.     (or... The company who's largest current stockholder(or trustee for the owner) happened to be married to Steve Jobs)

(Pixar + ESPN ABC LucasFilm Marvel, even the Muppets... and Disney India... don't laugh... bollywood is a market).

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

My take on this is that these "analysts" are just making shit up at this point.

yes.

• Reply 10 of 72
    Oh Apple. Start funding the creation of original content, like Amazon. Or buy a studio like Sony did.

Sony's studio and media content has been more of a distraction than a money maker.

Apple needs to stick to their core competencies, which are hardware & software integration and marketing.
  • Reply 11 of 72

This is great reporting! The rumor that's been a rumor for years has been placed on hold due to another rumor. We can't verify that the Apple television is real, but we can tell you that the information about it being placed on hold is! 

That's like telling someone, "The check is really in the mail. My friend here will tell you it's really true; he doesn't lie." 

• Reply 12 of 72
    1983 wrote: »
    Better an upgraded Apple TV than no iTV at all. Still think they could make a killing in the gaming console market if they wanted too...

I understand Microsoft is making so much money with the Xbox that Elop wants to dump it as soon as his ass hits the CEO chair...
  • Reply 13 of 72
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Well I certainly hope so.  I never wanted Apple to enter the commoditized TV screen market anyway.  Whew!  Now more energy can be put into the iWatch, iBeacons and iPayments, a larger screened iPhone, and iOS in the car.

• Reply 14 of 72
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    So was Steve bluffing? It certainly wouldn't take going on to 3 years to produce what was supposedly "cracked"?
  • Reply 15 of 72
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    1983 wrote: »
    Better an upgraded Apple TV than no iTV at all. Still think they could make a killing in the gaming console market if they wanted too, and then jump off from there into proprietary content creation/supply market when they can. All the hardware and software required for such a device is already available.

I want an apple tv app stores with gaming and game controls more than an actual tv set. That being said i think apple should release a complete set of monitors that could be used like tv sets if you connect them to the apple tv or a cable settop box
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Why do so many people speculate on the idea that Apple will actually make a TV. What exactly are people hoping for? To me, there are plenty of other markets to take over. The fitness device will be huge, the in-car integration is a must, to a lesser extent a game console and smart camera.

Just because Keurig revolutionized coffee doesn't mean they should make toasters.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    So was Steve bluffing? It certainly wouldn't take going on to 3 years to produce what was supposedly "cracked"?

I don't think he was bluffing. I think they probably have a great system in the works but it all depends on having unique content. However, the content is locked up by the studios and their agreements with the networks.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    I'll lay odds AAPL releases a new "TV product" in 2014 in partnership with cable company/s that harvests shows based on a viewers' genre preference. Think of it as Genius for TV.

Why people thought AAPL would release a TV with a full blown display is beyond me.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    pazuzu wrote: »

I am so going to laugh my ass off if iWatch is a TV.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Another bullshit report about an alleged Apple product in development. I'm yawning a lot today.

Having said that, the reason we don't yet have a TV or watch or whatever is because Apple doesn't bring products to market just for the heck of it. They're only going to do something they know will be useful and people will buy. Like Jony Ive said in the 5S video, Apple is not about technology for technology's sake.