Rumor: Supplier now building 12.9-inch Apple iPad displays for early 2014 launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

12.9" iPad?

Too big.

Too heavy.

Too awkward.

Too unbelievable.

The 13" macbook air weighs in under 3 lbs. I have no doubt ditching the keyboard and a smaller battery would get a 13" iPad under 2 lbs.

It won't fit in a purse but it will fit nicely in a briefcase.
  • Reply 62 of 121
    Why does the article refer to a new iPad? Could also be the new iPhone. With a 12.9" screen it would for once and for all shut up all the small screen whiners.
  • Reply 63 of 121
    While we're at it, how about real stylus support? Can an iPad do both stylus and finger input well? 

Sure: http://www.fiftythree.com/pencil

• Reply 64 of 121
    Such a large tablet or a touchscreen Mac don't appeal to me but I can see the former appealing to some that don't use any other traditional style computer, providing the size and weight is low enough.
  • Reply 65 of 121
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Seriously buy a Nexus7.  Then you will see what a total pain in the azz Android tablets are.  I suffered for 2 years on an Android smartphone and tablet.  Never again.

What is wrong with you? I don't like Android. Stop it now.
  • Reply 66 of 121
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think you're underestimating how much work can be done on an iPad.

I'm not. For a computer programmer type of guy there is no substitute for a Mac for getting work done. The iPad doesn't come close. I tried everything to write my play on an iPad, I bought and used all the apps, but it doesn't come within an asses roar from wetting the script on the Mac
  • Reply 67 of 121
    I was speculating an induction charging stand of some kind so you could put the iPad on it in any direction (portrait vs landscape) and it would charge. If that takes up too much real estate on the device then a charging stand would have to have a lightening port and the device would only sit in one orientation on it. Unless they put two lightening ports on it I suppose. 

Assuming this rumor is true- I bet the larger iPad would weigh what the original did, or darn near (as joelsalt mentions). This would preemptively strike at any 'it is too heavy' criticism.  Also, what would the PPI be for the current resolution on a larger screen? Or the PPI of a 2k display at that size? Is 2k a 16:9 ratio by default? I can't imagine Apple going 4x again on pixel count for an iPad that big. 

While we're at it, how about real stylus support? Can an iPad do both stylus and finger input well? 

1) The resolution is a factor. Do you go with the same resolution in a larger display or keep one of the current PPI panels with a much higher resolution? I'm not convinced this will happen. I could see the next MBA at 12", Retina, and having a touchscreen before I see a 12.9" iPad.

2) Why 12.9"? Why is that a magic number? At that size 4:3 seems much less likely than something closer to 16:10.

3) All iDevices support a real stylus, the issue is with the display being capacitance not using a digitizer. I would hope that such a large tablet would offer a digitizer support.
  • Reply 68 of 121
    ireland wrote: »
    .. asses roar from wetting ...

Thanks for putting an image in my head /s

But yes, I agree, and so did Steve

• Reply 69 of 121
    This will be a bulky iPad, I dont think Apple will be serious about it. This size cannot be held by one hand and it needs a proper suuport to be placed on a table. Is it possible that Apple will make a hybrid?
  • Reply 70 of 121
    bolbolize wrote: »
    This size cannot be held by one hand and it needs a proper suuport to be placed on a table.

I don't think so. The MS Surface has a kickstand for a purpose; it needs all the support it can get.
  • Reply 71 of 121
    bolbolize wrote: »
    This will be a bulky iPad, I dont think Apple will be serious about it. This size cannot be held by one hand and it needs a proper suuport to be placed on a table. Is it possible that Apple will make a hybrid?

I think it's possible they will but you also need to consider that Apple could take their power efficiency options and small bezel to the next level.
  • Reply 72 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes, and you can hold a bucket of sand with your hands too, but it's not a pleasant experience. This thing will be too big and too heavy. Not happening. If Apple does release a 13" iOS device it won't be designed to be held in your hands; it won't be an iPad Pro.

The iPad 4 weighs 1.44 lbs.   The iPad Air weighs 1 lb.  

If Apple uses the same design as the iPad Air for the iPad Mega :)  I'm guessing it will weigh less than the iPad 4.

• Reply 73 of 121
    With a tablet that big we could get more robust tech to power power intensive applications .
    This is a natural evolution of tablet tect IMHO.
    Of course this may never materialize.
  • Reply 74 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

If Apple uses the same design as the iPad Air for the iPad Mega :)  I'm guessing it will weigh less than the iPad 4.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160799/rumor-supplier-now-building-12-9-inch-apple-ipad-displays-for-early-2014-launch/40#post_2437136

• Reply 75 of 121
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    2. How do you hold a 13" iPad?

With your hands.

I would just lick it....mmmmmm 8-)
  • Reply 76 of 121
    What is wrong with you? I don't like Android. Stop it now.

Nobody is keeping score.
    I'm not. For a computer programmer type of guy there is no substitute for a Mac for getting work done. The iPad doesn't come close. I tried everything to write my play on an iPad, I bought and used all the apps, but it doesn't come within an asses roar from wetting the script on the Mac

I agree. But not every use of computing requires furious typing input. Programming and writing, sure. But playing music? Watching movies? Reading books? Playing games? Viewing web content? There are dedicated computing devices for all these activities. The iPad can replace all these dedicated devices.
  • Reply 77 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Sure: http://www.fiftythree.com/pencil

I saw this on MacNN right after my post. Their short video (commercial really) is pretty cool. I'm not the target audience for this kind of device, I wonder how the real artists (or other potential users) feel about it. The eraser was a nice touch too.

I guess what I'm thinking is, IF Apple does a larger iPad there would have to be a compelling reason for it to exist and thrive. My speculation was that it would appeal to artists and or people who deal with paper docs for a living. The latter being real estate, lawyers... whatever. I belong to neither group so I'm not sure if that's even realistic. I remember buying a house, car, etc where there's just a stack of paper. Initialing and signing all over the place, this is what I think could be done better with a larger tablet. 

The group I do belong to is the one where my eyes aren't what they used to be! I use an iPad 3rd generation at work and it is adequate. A larger display would be great too. So would a simple calculator that I could pull up without leaving my current app. A floating calc would be nice :) that way I could move the spreadsheet around and do math as needed. Sorry, went a little OT..

My current set up works fine and a larger iPad's weight wouldn't be a huge issue as my iPad stays in a stand for 8 hours a shot, so I'm not holding it. But that's just me....

• Reply 78 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160799/rumor-supplier-now-building-12-9-inch-apple-ipad-displays-for-early-2014-launch/40#post_2437136

Call me crazy, Island, but I actually had done the math.

The area of a 4:3 device is 12/25 times the square of the diagonal measurement.  So, a 13" device is 1.69 times larger in area than a 10" device.  I assumed that some components would remain the same weight in the 13" device as a 10" device, plus some general improvements in weight savings.

Edit: Fixed a math error, gotta remember those parantheses :)

• Reply 79 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

What is a 12.9 inch iPad going to be better than? 

Here are three things I can think of, that would be better on a large tablet than a laptop...

Drawing apps. Wacom stylus please! Not these fat pens!

Music apps (large screen + touch... a new world of possibilities).

Reading comics and the larger size Bande dessinées would also benefit.

• Reply 80 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Call me crazy, Island, but I actually had done the math.

The area of a 4:3 device is 4/7 times the square of the diagonal measurement.  So, a 13" device is approximately 1.69 times larger in area than a 10" device.  I assumed that some components would remain the same weight in the 13" device as a 10" device, plus some general improvements in weight savings.

Yea I like the 'summarily dismiss as not thinking it through' straw argument that a few have thrown around in this thread, and then arbitrarily say 2 lbs.

Multiplying height/width of Air/Mini Retina = 1.487x bigger for the air at just 1.369x more weight.

Using these numbers you'd get a iPad "Pro" at 13.9 inches (width) for 1.369 pounds.

But anyway the point of the comment still stands.  Ireland's absurd "how could you hold it?" comment doesn't hold any water.  1.369 or 2 lbs of it.