jragosta (Joseph Michael Ragosta)

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited August 2014
Many of us spend a great deal of time perusing the comments of mostly anonymous strangers from around the world and from all different walks-of-life based on a (single) common interest. Over time we get to know each other as more than just an alias and an avatar.

We pick up on each other's writing styles, personal interests, and can usually gauge with a fair amount of accuracy how the other will likely respond to certain topics before they weigh in.

We tend to do all this without ever knowing anything about their corporeal self. Despite this limited view of the complete person we get to experience a very pure form of the person's thoughts without certain societal biases or soma being a factor.

I didn't always agree with [B]jragosta[/B] but he did make this forum a better place in which to build upon, reinforce, or completely reject preconceived notions about the direction of technology.

This is what a good debater brings to a forum and [B]jragosta[/B] — along with many others here I respect — have taught me a great deal over the past 6 years. Not just about Apple, or consumer electronics, or technology, but also about many other tangential topics that oft transpired; as well as teaching me to parley more effectively with frequent, and [I]sometimes[/I] heated, discussions.

Thank you, [B]jragosta[/B], your presence will be missed.

[INDENT]• http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/centredaily/obituary.aspx?pid=167587636[/INDENT]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I didn't always agree with jragosta but he did make this forum a better place in which to build upon, reinforce, or completely reject preconceived notions about the direction of technology. This what a good debate does and he — along with many others here I respect — taught me a great deal over the past 6 years. Not just about Apple or consumer electronics or technology but also about many other tangential topics that oft transpired, as well helping me learn to parlay more effectively with frequent and sometimes heated discussions.

Many of us spend a great deal of time perusing the comments of mostly anonymous strangers from around the world and from all different walks-of-life based on a (single) common interest. Over time we get to know each other as more than just an alias and avatar. We pick up on each other's writing styles, our specific interests, and can usually gauge with a fair amount of accuracy how the other will likely respond to certain events simply from what they've previous written. We tend to do all this without ever knowing anything about their corporeal self. Despite this limited view of the complete person we get a very pure form of the person's thoughts without certain societal issues or soma being a factor of whom we agree or disagree.

Thank you, jragosta, your presence will be missed.

Hear, hear.

I too had my differences, but I raise a toast to JMR.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

Godspeed jragosta.   Many of us knew you well and while you were strong in your convictions you were as fair as a person ought to be.   I'm saddened that he was recalled far too soon.   My blessings go to the Ragosta family. 

• Reply 3 of 75
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I was wondering what happened to him, I noticed the posts just stopped all of a sudden. He posted right up until the day he died. Replying to Ireland of all people, what a terrible way to go. Hopefully not the cause. ;)

How did you happen to come across this obituary? You're not trawling through them regularly after placing bets on who goes next I hope.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Thanks for posting. I suspect that quite a few forum members had noticed his absence, and while that's very sad news, it's better to know than to wonder what happened. He was never afraid to make an argument, and always willing to engage. And, apparently, doing good work in real life.

We should all be grateful for the time that we have.

• Reply 5 of 75
    Solipsism. Beautifully written, thank you.

Muppetry, thanks for informing us on this sad news. I'd like to simply copy paste something from the PM you initiated:

Strange how one can feel, well, feel, can't find a right word for it, that someone here died. Never met him, don't know anything about him. Yet, you feel something. Strange.

Would like to think Relic will make it, but as I understand it she won't. And that will 'hit' me more as she shared so much of herself. I've never had 'this kind of contact' with people over the Internet, AI being 'my first'. It's nice. Except for when people die. Such is life. Yet, you'll pause at what you're doing on any given day.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    Sad news, indeed.

Did you know him personally, Soli? I daresay I'd be much harder to find in an obituary.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    I was informed by both [B]PhilBoogie[/B] and [B]anantksundram[/B] via various forms of private messaging. Between the two messages there was info about [B]Gatorguy[/B] being friends with [B]jragosta[/B]'s uncle and a link to the obituary which I think originated from [B]mupperty[/B].
  • Reply 8 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I was informed by both PhilBoogie and anantksundram via various forms of private messaging. Between the two messages there was info about Gatorguy being friends with jragosta's uncle and a link to the obituary which I think originated from mupperty.

Not friends with his uncle so much as he and his wife were once customers of mine. He's quite old now and his wife passed several years ago. The world can really be a tiny place. I never would have made the connection if not for Phil and Muppetry messaging me.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I echo of the chorus of people who didn't know him personally but send my condolences to his friends and family.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Does anyone know how he passed?
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I was surprised myself that the obituary didn’t say. “Died at home”… perhaps heart attack or cancer? Young for a stroke, sure, but my sister had one at 13.

• Reply 12 of 75
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I was surprised myself that the obituary didn’t say. “Died at home”… perhaps heart attack or cancer? Young for a stroke, sure, but my sister had one at 13.

I didn't see any details anywhere, but it does seem like it may have been rather sudden (he was posting to the forum that day as usual) and, from the obituary, probably medical rather than trauma.

• Reply 13 of 75
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Rest in Peace jragosta.

• Reply 14 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    RIP, old dude. You had fire in you till the end.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    paxman wrote: »
    RIP, old dude. You had fire in you till the end.

Wouldn't want to call him old, at 55.
  • Reply 16 of 75

Damn! I'm going to miss arguing with that guy!

• Reply 17 of 75
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Sorry to hear of this loss to our community. Fare thee well jragosta.

• Reply 18 of 75
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Solipsism. Beautifully written, thank you.

Muppetry, thanks for informing us on this sad news. I'd like to simply copy paste something from the PM you initiated:

Strange how one can feel, well, feel, can't find a right word for it, that someone here died. Never met him, don't know anything about him. Yet, you feel something. Strange.

Would like to think Relic will make it, but as I understand it she won't. And that will 'hit' me more as she shared so much of herself. I've never had 'this kind of contact' with people over the Internet, AI being 'my first'. It's nice. Except for when people die. Such is life. Yet, you'll pause at what you're doing on any given day.

Second this, and thanks to everyone who posted here about jragosta. I.always read his posts because I expected them to be serious contributions, and they usually were.

I quoted or referred to his posts several times, don't recall ever arguing with him. Once he said he owned and liked a Buick Enclave, a car I find very strange. Now every time I see one, I think of him. I guess it'll be that way from now on. He will be missed.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Damn! I'm going to miss arguing with that guy!

And so I'm I. He didn't make for a interesting day. RIP jragosta.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Sad to see him go. I used to argue a bunch with him, then I realized he was always right- so I stopped. Great contributor- my heart goes out to his family and friends.