adybadyb Posts: 205member
    gtr wrote: »
    Never met him.

Never saw him.

Never knew him.

Will miss him greatly.

Indeed.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Very unfortunately. I only just saw Solipsism's signature. I will miss his posts dearly. Difficult to lose one of our own.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Sorry to be late to this and add my sadness at his passing. I too had wondered where jragost had gone.
  • Reply 27 of 75

Only just found out. Rest In Peace JRagosta. My condolences to your family, & friends of course. :( 

• Reply 28 of 75
    Wow, that's too bad. Just saw this myself. Interesting what a small world it is. Looks like he was from not far from my hometown in PA. We even both graduated from Penn State, though he was several years before me.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    RIP JR. I loved your insights into the various legal proceedings Apple was involved in.

I was wondering why you stopped posting. I was hoping you'd come back as jragostaX. Alas, sad that will not be the case.

"Nobody knows where you are... how near or how far... shine on you crazy diamond".
  • Reply 30 of 75
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Jeez.  I'm sorry it took so long to respond to this horrible event.

This makes me very sad, as I too very much looked forward to his contributions.  It's a real shame when someone leaves us at his age.  As much of a loss as he will be to this forum and to all of our experience here, I feel for his family and friends.

Best travels, man.  

• Reply 31 of 75
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Oh no...

Just saw SolipsismX's sig.  My most heartfelt condolences to his family.

I haven't felt the sting of a jragosta retort in a long time, but that's mostly because as long as there was the slightest chance I was still one of the fools he didn't suffer gladly I wasn't taking a chance.  Andysol said it best.  "I used to argue a bunch with him, then I realized he was always right- so I stopped."  Sometimes I would be so riled up by him that I would spend hours researching my response.  Always in vain.  Yet I also had a huge amount of respect for him, both for his knowledge and for the way he presented that knowledge, and also for his extremely sensitive BS monitor, which if mine goes off when the needle hits 50, his went off at 5.  And I could at heart never fully disagree with him, even when he was skewering me.

Rest In Peace, Joe.  I learned a lot from you.

• Reply 32 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jlandd wrote: »
    Sometimes I would be so riled up by him that I would spend hours researching my response.

It's getting well researched answers and forcing us to research more that makes this a great community. I am considerably more accurate, thorough and objectively in all parts of my life because of my involvement with this community.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Sometimes I would be so riled up by him that I would spend hours researching my response.

It's getting well researched answers and forcing me to research that makes this a great community. I am considerably more accurate, throughout and objectively in all parts of my life because of my involvement with this community.

I'll second that. As well as benefiting from the extensive wisdom of other posters, I can't count the number of times I've improved my knowledge and understanding by taking the time to research a subject under discussion here.

• Reply 34 of 75
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's getting well researched answers and forcing us to research more that makes this a great community. I am considerably more accurate, thorough and objectively in all parts of my life because of my involvement with this community.

Like many others, I was unaware of jragosta's passing until seeing SolipsismX's link. Thank you for that link. Add me to the many whose critical thinking was challenged and enhanced by his demanding responses. Joe kept us on our toes. Farewell ...

• Reply 35 of 75

Just noticed this now. 

Sad to hear about his passing. I appreciated his knowledge and enthusiasm. 

Blessings to him, in the next life, and to his family. 

• Reply 36 of 75

Very sad news.

I've been acquainted with Joe since the early 90s and corresponded with him back in those early days of Mac advocacy. 

One of Joe's early victories was his thorough (and well publicized) discrediting of the Software Publishers Association's (SPA) bogus sales analyses of Mac software. You can read about it here:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+new+debate+over+Mac+market+trends.-a019520459

RIP, Joe…

• Reply 37 of 75
    s.ballmer wrote: »
    Very sad news.

I've been acquainted with Joe since the early 90s and corresponded with him back in those early days of Mac advocacy. 

One of Joe's early victories was his thorough (and well publicized) discrediting of the Software Publishers Association's (SPA) bogus sales analyses of Mac software. You can read about it here:

RIP, Joe…

Wow, small world.

I'd really like to read this article, sadly it's a 404...
  • Reply 38 of 75
    philboogie wrote: »
    s.ballmer wrote: »
    Very sad news.

RIP, Joe…

Wow, small world.

I'd really like to read this article, sadly it's a 404...

Loads fine for me.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    muppetry wrote: »
    Loads fine for me.

Weird. I even Cmd-C Cmd-V into FF, no dice. Checking these URL's nowadays are difficult to read, used to be so much easier in the good old days to simply 'repair' them yourself.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    philboogie wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »
    Loads fine for me.

Weird. I even Cmd-C Cmd-V into FF, no dice. Checking these URL's nowadays are difficult to read, used to be so much easier in the good old days to simply 'repair' them yourself.

Very strange. Works for me on my iPad, and in Safari and Chrome on the Mac.