Tests find iOS 7 update improves Apple's Siri, but Google Now for Android closes the gap

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

With Siri's scores in high 70s, 80s and 90's how does that average to a C ?

They hire the same mathematicians as JD Power.

Who need sued, by the way.

• Reply 42 of 72
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Last I checked A grades were 91-100, B grades were 81-90, and C grades 71-80.

It depends on what you're grading and where the base line is set. If you will, seven to ten errors in understanding may be where Piper Jaffray set their base line for acceptable. If a hospital neonatal unit were setting a base line for how many babies got dropped on their heads they may set it at 0.000001% of the time.

By setting the baseline where they have, Piper Jaffray leaves a lot of room for improvement in conversational English... not just understanding words, but the intent of the words as well.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Google Now works on any Android phone, 4.1+. Since technically there's an iOS version of it, and no Siri for Android, there's clearly more Google Now capable devices in the big picture. As for platform vs platform at this juncture it's probably a slight lead for Siri depending on how you want to size the global market which is obviously a heated topic by itself. iPhone 4 which is still pretty common doesn't have Siri, and ~56% of Android devices are 4.1+

That ~56% statistic is only for devices that have access to the Google Play Store. It's not of ALL Android based devices. A majority of Android devices sold today are "feature" phones that still run version 2.x.

• Reply 44 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

. A majority of Android devices sold today are "feature" phones that still run version 2.x.

Yet again, as been the case for the last 2 years of this regurgitation...source? Everyone loves to say it, but where are they?

• Reply 45 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Yet again, as been the case for the last 2 years of this regurgitation...source? Everyone loves to say it, but where are they?

"This data reflects devices running the latest Google Play Store app, which is compatible with Android 2.2 and higher. Each snapshot of data represents all the devices that visited the Google Play Store in the prior 7 days"

• Reply 46 of 72
    Yes Soph, I know. I want the source for where the majority of Android phones are feature phones running 2.2. Sounds like the ghost of jragosta to me.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Yes Soph, I know. I want the source for where the majority of Android phones are feature phones running 2.2. Sounds like the ghost of jragosta to me.

I've said the same thing. Not as a fact, but as how I see it. Running Android on a phone does not automatically make it a smartphone. I'd say that a good divide is how David Pogue coined it years ago by calling modern smartphones "app phones"; which makes it very easy in the case of Android since they only count the devices that are connecting to Google Play.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Last I checked A grades were 91-100, B grades were 81-90, and C grades 71-80.

When I read music as an undergraduate, A was 70%+, B 60-69%, C 50-59% and under 50% fail. That's in England in 1995. Most people got under 70%.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

When I read music as an undergraduate, A was 70%+, B 60-69%, C 50-59% and under 50% fail. That's in England in 1995.

No wonder modern music is absolute trash.

• Reply 50 of 72
    clemynx wrote: »
    Both perform terribly in foreign languages. In French or Italian, Siri doesn't do half of the cool stuff it does in English. No wolfram alpha, no movie showtimes and a voice recognition that's not very good compared to english. I'd use it in English, but I often need to tell something in french (the name of a restaurant or just the name of a person).

Not every feature of iOS is available in every country. Here's a list:
    http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/

One thing I'd like for Siri is that ability to teach it how to pronounce foreign names. I've got a friend with a name that's written in a complex way. Every time I try to teach Siri, she doesn't understand, probably because the sound she hears is so different from the way it's written.[/quote]

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/teach-siri-how-to-pronounce-contact-names-correctly-in-ios-7
  • Reply 51 of 72
    One thing I'd like for Siri is that ability to teach it how to pronounce foreign names. I've got a friend with a name that's written in a complex way. Every time I try to teach Siri, she doesn't understand, probably because the sound she hears is so different from the way it's written.

Is it a African name?

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

That's what I was going to post. Google Now is the preemptive data service.

Exactly. Siri is nothing like google now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Google Now has come a long way since Andy Rubin said we shouldn't be talking to our phones.

Google Now is not Google voice search.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

One thing this test doesn't show is conversational commands, which is central to Siri's genius. On Siri you can ask "How is the weather today?" and it'll give you an answer, then you can follow-up that question with "How about tomorrow?".

I've just tested this with google voice search. It answered that follow up question.

• Reply 53 of 72
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not sure it works for French but for English it's a new feature since iOS 7b2.

Yes I know and it works well in french too. The problem I have is that some of my friend have a name with sounds that aren't used in french, and Siri gets confused when I want to pronounce those names.

For example my own name pronounced in french on an iOS in english would make Siri very confused.

It's not really a problem, but I have to create Surnames for my foreign friends so that I can pronounce something a little easier for Siri to understand without editing their real names.

• Reply 54 of 72
    Yes I know and it works well in french too. The problem I have is that some of my friend have a name with sounds that aren't used in french, and Siri gets confused when I want to pronounce those names. For example my own name pronounced in french on an iOS in english would make Siri very confused. It's not really a problem, but I have to create Surnames for my foreign friends so that I can pronounce something a little easier for Siri to understand without editing their real names.

Ah. I had the same problem with my (non-Siri) voice control in my car when I switch the language to Spanish. It didn’t understand any of my contacts, even if they had a Spanish-ish name.

I also switched my iOS and Mac OS devices to Spanish and this worked out very well. On iOS you can change the language you see to Spanish and keep the Maps app spoken directions to Spanish but then still use an English auto-correction and Siri. I found this to be a very helpful.

I hope for all our sake Siri gets considerably more intelligent in the near future.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ..... a Spanish-ish name.

Huh?
  • Reply 56 of 72
    Huh?

For example, attempting to use my car's hands-free system to say "Llamar Hector Lopez" it would understand I meant to make a call but it wouldn't understand my English pronunciation of Hector Lopez. I'd have to try to say it in a very unnatural, non-gringo way, which is simply not practical when I'm also trying to drive.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    For example, attempting to use my car's hands-free system to say "Llamar Hector Lopez" it would understand I meant to make a call but it wouldn't understand my English pronunciation of Hector Lopez. I'd have to try to say it in a very unnatural, non-gringo way, which is simply not practical when I'm also trying to drive.

I'd like to know how a Greek name became used primarily by Hispanics. H at the beginning of Spanish words are silent, have you tried it that way?
  • Reply 58 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I just want Apple to get into robots in a huge way to take on Google and Rubin, so you would have a walking, talking representation of Siri as your office worker/assistant for real-world tasks (walk the dog, go to the post office, get groceries, mow the lawn, analyze my golf swing and show me some pointers, etc.)...

Good timing on the robotics comment. I hadn't really followed it all that much until earlier today when I saw mention of Google buying Boston Dynamics. Another story I came across mentioned 7 other very quiet Google acquisitions in the robotics field over the past year or two. Guess that explains Rubin's move out of the Android group to an area of expertise he's had a lifelong interest in.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Good timing on the robotics comment. I hadn't really followed it all that much until earlier today when I saw mention of Google buying Boston Dynamics. Another story I came across mentioned 7 other very quiet Google acquisitions in the robotics field over the past year or two. Guess that explains Rubin's move out of the Android group to an area of expertise he's had a lifelong interest in.

It appears Brin and Page are taking the advice of Ray Kurzweil insofar as they are acquiring companies and investing in the fields of robotics, nanotechnology and artificial intelligence, all very important in Kurzweil's timeline toward the Singularity.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    It appears Brin and Page are taking the advice of Ray Kurzweil insofar as they are acquiring companies and investing in the fields of robotics, nanotechnology and artificial intelligence, all very important in Kurzweil's timeline toward the Singularity.

As is Apple. Both Google and Apple still have to move into the nanotech field aggressively, but they've both made progress in robotics and artificial intelligence. . . whether for good or bad.:\