Apple's iPhone 5s remains 'by far the top selling smartphone'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    It's a shame to see these numbers so high. I was hoping the 5S would have mediocre sales so Apple would have more incentive to finally release a 5" phone! I would love to be using an iPhone right now, but I refuse to use something with screen technology stuck in 2011. It's why I went with a Nexus 5 after owning a 3G, 4, and 4S....

The diagonal length of a display is now considered a "screen technology"? :rolleyes::no:
  • Reply 22 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The diagonal length of a display is now considered a "screen technology"? imageimage

Yes, the technology necessary to mass produce large screens in a cost effective way that would still make share holders happy. It's pretty clear with the release of the 5S Apple was more concerned about share values than pushing technology advancement.

• Reply 23 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

There seems no doubt the iPhone rules the US market in a big way.  AI has had many, many article reiterating this fact.

One should not extrapolate from this success to the rest of the world, however:

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/12/02/report-new-iphones-boost-apples-market-share-except-in-europe-where-windows-phone-gains-ground/#!pK09K

I think we are also missing that this is based on "handsets sold" versus "platform in use." So quite a few countries show about 2x more Android Devices sold. Well, that's a lot of different manufacturers and even some devices used to play pirated videos are showing up in the tablet category.

So even in Germany, the iPhone might be the #1 device sold but iOS only about 20% of the smart phone platforms in use. All numbers and stats need context!
  • Reply 24 of 87
    Wow! He doubled down on claiming the diagonal length of a display is a [U]screen technology[/U].
  • Reply 25 of 87
    Originally Posted by glancingaft View Post

It's a shame to see these numbers so high. I was hoping the 5S would have mediocre sales so Apple would have more incentive to finally release a 5" phone! I would love to be using an iPhone right now, but I refuse to use something with screen technology stuck in 2011. It's why I went with a Nexus 5 after owning a 3G, 4, and 4S....

So basically you’re psychotic. Shut up and go away.

• Reply 26 of 87

Whine all you want about wordsmithing but Apple has seriously missed the boat when it has come to screen size "technology" with smartphones. They have fallen behind the competition and my hope is that sales from the masses would show this. However it seems the average US consumer still is not aware of the advantages of a larger screen. Shame really because after just a few weeks with a 5" phone I will never be able to go back to anything smaller. And being that I am a huge Apple fan (Own/Owned 3 Macs, 3 iPhones, 2 Apple TVs, 5 iPods, and 2 iPads) I would gladly buy another iPhone again, it just needs to have a modern screen.

• Reply 27 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So basically you’re psychotic. Shut up and go away.

Wow, been reading this site for 5 years, finally decide to post and this is the warm welcome I get....

I love people who hide behind a keyboard!
  • Reply 28 of 87
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So the rest of the planet has no taste and supports thieves. Big deal.

I think it has more to do with the perceived affordability.  People in the US can more readily afford an iPhone than just about anywhere else because the cost of an iPhone as a proportion of your earnings is less:  http://www.mobileunlocked.com/iphoneprices.asp?an=af&aid=227419

For you, an iPhone 5s costs 1.15% of your per capita GDP, whereas for me it would cost 2.35% - about double.  For many European countries an iPhone 5s is 3, 4 or 5+ % of per capita GDP.

So it might not be a matter of taste so much as affordability

If you look at that article, an iPhone is over 9% in China so affording one would be a significant financial hurdle for the vast majority of the population.

I think iPhones are too expensive, which is the principle reason I haven't bought one.    Say I wanted a swish new phone - I could buy an iPhone 5s 32 Gb unlocked from Amazon for $1,180.21 or I could get an HTC One 32 Gb from Amazon for $709.

I would get the HTC, the 5s is just rotten value at $472 more expensive.

• Reply 29 of 87
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I think it has more to do with the perceived affordability.  People in the US can more readily afford an iPhone than just about anywhere else because the cost of an iPhone as a proportion of your earnings is less:  http://www.mobileunlocked.com/iphoneprices.asp?an=af&aid=227419

For you, an iPhone 5s costs 1.15% of your per capita GDP, whereas for me it would cost 2.35% - about double.  For many European countries an iPhone 5s is 3, 4 or 5+ % of per capita GDP.

So it might not be a matter of taste so much as affordability

If you look at that article, an iPhone is over 9% in China so affording one would be a significant financial hurdle for the vast majority of the population.

I think iPhones are too expensive, which is the principle reason I haven't bought one.    Say I wanted a swish new phone - I could buy an iPhone 5s 32 Gb unlocked from Amazon for $1,180.21 or I could get an HTC One 32 Gb from Amazon for $709.

I would get the HTC, the 5s is just rotten value at $472 more expensive.

1) Yes, the percentages of buyers in the US can afford an iPhone more easily than in China, but there about 4x more people in China which means there are still a lot of people in China that can afford an iPhone. So much so that I wouldn't be surprised if their fiscal Q2 is higher than Q1 in iPhone unit sales for 2014 (assuming China Mobile indeed starts selling the iPhone shortly).

2) I think the subsidization plays a huge role in the US. If it didn't exist I would bet the iPhone's dominance would be less.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    Wow, been reading this site for 5 years, finally decide to post and this is the warm welcome I get....

I love people who hide behind a keyboard!

1) You claim that the length of a display is a technology.

2) You came here saying you wished sales were shitty.

3) You then made a point to tell us how you've owned all sorts of Apple products and you're a huge fan of their products.

4) You claim that you gave up years with an invested ecosystem without any consideration for variances in usability as if all other things are equal and that the only thing that should matter to anyone is display size "technology."

It's really hard to believe you're been reading this forum for years.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Once again the article is talking hardware sales and your troll is about operating systems. Just shut up, okay. Apple is doing well in the rest of the world too, no matter how you want to spin it.

My reading of the original article is that they are talking about sales of phones exclusively, so even though the chart mentions OS, I believe they are talking phones running the OS and not other devices.

• Reply 32 of 87
    Quote:

3) You then made a point to tell us how you've owned all sorts of Apple products and you're a huge fan of their products.

4) You claim that you gave up years with an invested ecosystem without any consideration for variances in usability as if all other things are equal and that the only thing that should matter to anyone is display size "technology."

1) I apologize, I do not work in the technology field so I used the wrong word when I spoke about screen size being a technology. However, as a consumer I have a wright to my opinions.

2) Yes, I do wish sales were lower, as a monopoly is never a good thing for consumers and Apple is clearly showing this with their lack of hardware and software innovation.

3) It took me less than an afternoon to access all of my apple ecosystem with my Nexus 5. with smooth sync I have access to iCloud (Contacts, Calendar, email). With Dropbox and automator setup I am dropping all my pictures into iPhoto without any hitches. I have Airplay working (sort of).

4) You are right though, I was wrong I have not been following the site for 5 years. Doing a quick gmail search I found the first email I sent to a friend. It was in 2005 and in reference to this article, http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1304

• Reply 33 of 87
    1) I apologize, I do not work in the technology field so I used the wrong word when I spoke about screen size being a technology. However, as a consumer I have a wright to my opinions. And yes, I do wish sales were lower, as a monopoly is never a good thing for consumers and Apple is clearly showing this with their lack of hardware and software innovation.

1) Apple has no smartphone or handset monopoly.

2) Lack of SW and HW innovation? Seriously?! Besides making custom built ARM chips, they are the first handset vendor to use 64-bit ARM chips, and to convert their entire OS to 64-bit and have their IDE updated to allow 3rd-party app developers to do the same. They also implement many unique features on their custom SoCs, including a 4MB RAM cache and "secure enclave" that is pinnacle to the success of their other advancement with TouchID. And that's only the most well known innovations with the 5S. Can't innovate my ass!
  • Reply 34 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Remembering two things:

1. This is US only.

2. We don't know the numbers. 5s to S4 could be 2 to 1 for all we know... or it could be 1.1 to 1. Same for the 5c. It would be nice to see some actual numbers.

It's probably not close at all. If the models were selling approximately the same it would probably be safe to expect the Samsung phone to take the top spot for at least one carrier (the same for the 5c topping Samsung once). The fact that the phones were in the same order for each of the carriers indicates to me that the models on top are selling many more than the model below it

• Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:

Wow, been reading this site for 5 years

I guess all those discussions about weasel language and trolling behavior must have flown right past you, then.

(Oh, and by the way... welcome¡)

• Reply 36 of 87
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »

I never get the point of people beginning a post with how long they've been an Apple user or how many Apple products they own. Is that supposed to suggest they are more knowledgeable or they're a better fan? And what does screen size have to do with display technology? A bigger screen in and of itself is not innovation. And clearly it seems iPhone owners care about more than just the size of the display.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    2) Yes, I do wish sales were lower, as a monopoly is never a good thing for consumers and Apple is clearly showing this with their lack of hardware and software innovation.

Nah, you've just outed yourself as a troll. On someone who's not too bright just parroting the tech media memes about Apple and lack of innovation. How exactly are 64-bit A7 chips and Touch ID lack of innovation? How is packing 64-bit into a super thin 1 pound tablet and maintaining 10 hour battery life lack of innovation?
  • Reply 38 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Where's the Moto X? You'd think with all the free advertising it's getting on tech sites it would be in the top three.

It is strange. On TV I see ads for iPhone 5s both reg and gold, iPhone 5c, Moto X and LG G2 non stop. I havent seen an S4 commercial in awhile did they turn down their ad budget lol.

• Reply 39 of 87
    US lead only? From the article:

"Apple has maintained a significant edge outside of the U.S. as well, even before the long-anticipated launch of the company's devices on China Mobile, the world's largest wireless carrier. The iPhone 5s was "by far the top selling smartphone...at most channels where the smartphone launched globally," Walkley notes."
  • Reply 40 of 87
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:

1) I apologize, I do not work in the technology field so I used the wrong word when I spoke about screen size being a technology. However, as a consumer I have a wright to my opinions.

3) It took me less than an afternoon to access all of my apple ecosystem with my Nexus 5. with smooth sync I have access to iCloud (Contacts, Calendar, email). With Dropbox and automator setup I am dropping all my pictures into iPhoto without any hitches. I have Airplay working (sort of).

4) You are right though, I was wrong I have not been following the site for 5 years. Doing a quick gmail search I found the first email I sent to a friend. It was in 2005 and in reference to this article, http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1304

Look - you have every right to your own preferences and priorities when it comes to smartphone features, and if the screen size is most important to you then fine. However, if you come charging in declaring that a preference for a smaller screen size is archaic and that Apple technology is somehow falling behind and failing, when they are producing the top-selling phone, then don't be surprised if you are not warmly received.