Apple's new Mac Pro a better value than the sum of its parts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Since a computer is just a toaster without its operating system, we added a Windows 8.1 Pro license that set us back $199.99.

Ah yes.  The Windows Tax.  $200 isn't much compared to the $14,310 total price.

That's just 1.4% of the total.

But if you're the kind of hobbyist who claims "Ah kin built me a 'puter fer jess two hunnert bucks,"

you're looking at a 50% Windows Tax (for Windows 8.1 Pro, that is.)

Good luck setting all those jumpers.

• Reply 22 of 130
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    wovel wrote: »
    You have to show your work for credit....
    I did that months ago. But other people on other websites have a number between 2000 and 2900 $
  • Reply 23 of 130
    clemynx wrote: »
    I did that months ago. But other people on other websites have a number between 2000 and 2900 $

Go ahead and post your work here again please
  • Reply 24 of 130
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Storage is one area where Apple has a leg up on the do-it-yourself crowd, as the handful of PCI Express-based drives on the market command astronomical prices. OCZ's soon-to-be-discontinued RevoDrive 3 X2 series is the current king of the hill and a 960 gigabyte model would set us back approximately $3,000 --?if we could actually find one for sale.

In a recent AI discussion on the subject I, too, tried to use the RevoDrive to find a comparable PCIe SSD for comparison but later was shown (sorry, I forget who it was) that OWC has a PCIe SSD that is much closer to what Apple charges for the upgrade to 1TB.

edit: Oops! I guess I closed my MBP before that sent and it looks like PhilBoogie has pipped my comment.
  • Reply 25 of 130
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    clemynx wrote: »
    wovel wrote: »
    You have to show your work for credit....

Ok , link one of them then. If there are so many, it should be easy to do. I can't find even one. The only one i have seen even close to that number with similar hardware was using a used CPU.

To clarify my last point. The CPU in the entry model retails around $1,000 dollars, but a lot of people think it retails for $293 because if you Google it, the first two links you find are at the price. Both of those links are for CPUs pulled from other machines. That is obviously not the right item to compare a new machine too.
  • Reply 26 of 130
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Even some of the most virulent c|net Apple haters were commenting on the price of the Mac Pro and how it wasn’t out of line at all when considering the parts list. Of course the dumb ones were already claiming they could build one of their own twice as powerful for a fifth the price. Stupid is as stupid does.

• Reply 27 of 130
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    realwarder wrote: »
    Those graphics cards are staggeringly expensive!

They mark up the FirePros considerably and they use different drivers. The DIY builders would probably stick with 7970s:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594669

These use 250W each and are around $500 for 6GB versions.

$90 case + $2750 CPU + $1000 GPUs + $540 motherboard + $200 1kW Power Supply (650W would be pushing it for 2x250W GPUs + 130W CPU) + OWC 960GB PCIe SSD $1200 + $840 RAM + $100 cooling equipment + $200 Windows.

Even if you went this route and nearly equivalent components, you're still looking at $6920. While that saves some money from the $9599 Mac ($9240 if you get your own RAM), you end up with a horrible big PC box with hacked together parts that aren't guaranteed to work well - here's a review for that motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/SingleProductReview.aspx?reviewid=3870815

Even in a sort of best-case, the Mac Pro would be under 40% more, which is a small enough premium to get a nicely designed, quiet box with parts tested to work well together.

There's another test here with a Dell 4K display:

[VIDEO]

Very quiet even when doing all those things.
  • Reply 28 of 130
    This comparison method is the same as the technique used by the Microsoft/PC crowd from about 1985 onwards. The argument is generally that you can buy 'equivalent' parts for 25 cents on the dollar, hence Mac is vastly overpriced. This approach is invalid, even when the bits for a PC actually cost more.

What this superficial method overlooks falls into at least 3 distinct areas:

(1) a not insignificant number appreciate elegance in design. Mac has always knocked PCs into a cocked hat on this score. You get what you pay for. It's similar to preferring a Rolex to a Casio, or a Porsche to a Ford.

(2) it's the marriage of good software and good hardware, designed to work together, that leads to a seamless working environment. You need to make both to achieve this at a high level.

(3) computers are tools for the mind. Every objective survey I've ever read puts Mac users at a higher productivity level. In general, therefore, you get more done on a Mac, and any cost difference soon gets mitigated as the return on your investment starts to flow.
  • Reply 29 of 130
    Great article that only hints at one the biggest issues in trying to create a WORKSTATION (nods to performance vs price point trade offs that Workstations like SGI, HP, Sun and others created striving for the top end of what can be put on a desktop btw) which is dealing with the Thermal Design.
    As one who spent decades in HW application support of embedded Intel Processor designs, I have known for a long time that this item, often left to the end of a design (whither it is an embedded PC like a cash register or the Hubble Telescope or just a White Box PC being used for Medical Work) is the Thermal Design. Many an engineer (and or White Box builder) has stumbled at this point by leaving it to the end, like the Lian Li configuration presented, to find it beyond challenging!!
    Thermal design has to be considered from start to finish! While I have seen talk of a chimney or volcano like themal / Max Tpd solution (the Intel 2000 IDF focused on this subject), never have I seen it executed this this level !! Fan noise is another and Apple address both with design elegance!! A PC that would be deserving to be put in the NY Museum of modern art...

While one might find a lower price for the dual GPU cards or other items like Linux vs Windows, this review peg it with ease - showing the true value of the Mac Pro for the Professional vs a high end "White Box".
  • Reply 30 of 130
    What's funny is that the motherboard they chose doesn't even fit into their case.

Also, using a $3k SSD when you could have used a $1.2k one, using those GPUs for no really good reason, choosing a dual socket motherboard just because (and then not adding a second CPU) sort of indicate not much research was done for this article.
  • Reply 31 of 130
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    And... if you really want to... the Mac will run Windows for you. Probably better than the Windows machine. LOL!
  • Reply 32 of 130

None of these 31 responses matters or have Any value at all. Just wait til Tallest Skil gets here to tell you ALL what HE thinks and the rest of you will need to bow down to his grandness.  

• Reply 33 of 130
    The price on those graphics cards is obviously ridiculously inflated. If anything this article shows that a comparable system would cost about as much -- which one should expect.
  • Reply 34 of 130
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sodaant View Post

What's funny is that the motherboard they chose doesn't even fit into their case.

Also, using a $3k SSD when you could have used a $1.2k one, using those GPUs for no really good reason, choosing a dual socket motherboard just because (and then not adding a second CPU) sort of indicate not much research was done for this article.

This is AI - you didn't come here expecting an unbiased comparison, did you?

• Reply 35 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

This is AI - you didn't come here expecting an unbiased comparison, did you?

No, I just expected a little better research.

• Reply 36 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

And... if you really want to... the Mac will run Windows for you. Probably better than the Windows machine. LOL!

Works great as long as you don't care about driver updates, and if you don't care if the Trackpad works worth a damn (under Windows).

• Reply 37 of 130
    runbuh wrote: »

Works great as long as you don't care about driver updates, and if you don't care if the Trackpad works worth a damn (under Windows).

Oddly, I read that the new MBPs have 60Hz 4K video out on the TB2 ports under Windows, yet no support with Mac OS. You have to use the HDMI port and you only get 30Hz.
  • Reply 38 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sodaant View Post

No, I just expected a little better research.

Just a matter of finding the facts that fit the story...

• Reply 39 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Oddly, I read that the new MBPs have 60Hz 4K video out on the TB2 ports under Windows, yet no support with Mac OS. You have to use the HDMI port and you only get 30Hz.

This can be addressed with a driver update?

• Reply 40 of 130
    runbuh wrote: »
    This can be addressed with a driver update?

It can, and I suspect it will be. I assume the reason for Windows getting it sooner is the Windows drivers for those TB2 controllers were developed by the maker of the controllers but Apple is developing their own for the MBPs, which they may not release until they have their own 4K display or some other Appley reason that ultimately seems weird to me.