IBM: iOS crushed Android in Christmas shopping with 5 times the sales

123457

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 148
    sacto joe wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The Moto G is trying to change that. It's a inexpensive phone that will get timely OS updates.
    Beware of cheap. There's always a price. Always.

    QFT Price != cheap. != Value
  • Reply 122 of 148
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

     

     

    Clearly there is a reason why they can charge $300 less for a device that could easily sit between the 5C and 5S. 


    And the resell value for Androids is...............

  • Reply 123 of 148
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The Moto G is trying to change that. It's a inexpensive phone that will get timely OS updates.

    I almost bought one for my 3 years old niece, love the color and ok could be a video player.

    Then I look at the spec. Running on Android 4.2

    WTF? New device just out of the door running a over 1 year old OS?

    Don't tell me the future, show me now.
  • Reply 124 of 148
    Apple's iOS devices also made up 32.6 percent of all overall mobile traffic, compared to just 14.8 percent for Android. Microsoft's Windows Phone, BlackBerry and other mobile platforms didn't represent enough activity to mention.

    Something doesn't add up here. If iOS and Android made 50% of all module traffic, and Windows and BB didn't account for much, then which platform accounted for a staggering 50% ?

    Windows PCs
  • Reply 125 of 148
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    joelchu wrote: »
    I almost bought one for my 3 years old niece, love the color and ok could be a video player.

    Then I look at the spec. Running on Android 4.2

    WTF? New device just out of the door running a over 1 year old OS?

    Don't tell me the future, show me now.

    You read it wrong, the Moto G is running 4.4.2 which is the absolutely latest version of Android.
  • Reply 126 of 148
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You read it wrong, the Moto G is running 4.4.2 which is the absolutely latest version of Android.

    I do wear glasses but I can read. That was what I read from the US site. Motorola UK site listed as 4.3 Jelly Bean - again it's a year old OS. Where I buy an iPhone from Apple even the 3 years old 4s come with the latest iOS 7.
  • Reply 127 of 148
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    joelchu wrote: »
    I do wear glasses but I can read. That was what I read from the US site. Motorola UK site listed as 4.3 Jelly Bean - again it's a year old OS. Where I buy an iPhone from Apple even the 3 years old 4s come with the latest iOS 7.

    It might have 4.3 out of the box but it gets updated to 4.4.2 OTA, but even at 4.3 it stills bests all other devices in the price range that are running 2.3.
  • Reply 128 of 148
    Don't tell me the future or the past. I want to know what is in the box now. Who cares it could fly me to Mars in 100 years time?

    I open the box, they said is the lastest and greatest then give me the lastest and greatest.
  • Reply 129 of 148
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,308member
    joelchu wrote: »
    I do wear glasses but I can read. That was what I read from the US site. Motorola UK site listed as 4.3 Jelly Bean - again it's a year old OS. Where I buy an iPhone from Apple even the 3 years old 4s come with the latest iOS 7.

    Even 4.3 isn't anywhere near a year old, released the end of July, so not even 6 months ago. iOS7 is nearly as old. If you read the specs as you say you did you would have seen this:
    The sharpest 4.5" HD display in its class, all-day battery, quad-core speed, Android 4.3 with guaranteed upgrade...
    http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/moto-g/Moto-G/moto-g-pdp-ways-to-buy.html

    Tho I'd question whether you had any intent on getting one in the first place the OS version should not have been any stumbling block. It never had 4.2 as you originally claimed it did and 4.4.2 is already rolling out to it as promised.
  • Reply 130 of 148
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    joelchu wrote: »
    Don't tell me the future or the past. I want to know what is in the box now. Who cares it could fly me to Mars in 100 years time?

    I open the box, they said is the lastest and greatest then give me the lastest and greatest.

    So when Apple releases a OS update all the iPhones they have in stock magically get updated inside the box?
  • Reply 131 of 148
    so the bottom line is... people with the more expensive devices have more money to spend.
  • Reply 132 of 148

    Gartner: World-Wide Smartphone Sales (Thousands of Units)






























    Quarter Windows Mobile[27] RIM Symbian[28] iOS Android[29] Bada Windows Phone[30] Other Total Smartphones Total Phones
    2013 Q3 [31]   4,401 458 30,330 205,023 633 8,912 475 250,232 455,642

     

    Perhaps Apple has a better operating system at the moment as clearly demonstrated by the iPhone users online purchases with their devices.  Apple also had a better Graphical OS in 1990, but then that crazy guy Bill Gates released Windows 3.0 and every PC out there could run an inferior but capable Graphical OS.  And fast forward to today and Windows owns 97% of the PC marketplace.  Android is overwhelming Apple on every front, online mobile sales are just the next thing that Android will conquer.  Actually I'd love to have an iPhone, if they were about half the cost and had a bigger screen, but until then I'll stick with my Galaxy S II and I'll continue using my iPad 3, my Macintosh, my Windows 7 box, and my Roku.  All great tools.

     

    Avid Mac Developer,  until Steve Jobs came back.

  • Reply 133 of 148
    83% actually is even a little bit more than 6 times the 17% remaining percents ;-)
  • Reply 134 of 148
    future man wrote: »
    The concept if 'free' reeks of charity, Marxism, foolishness or a underlying subsidy price model. Google and their followers were too damn lazy to build a mobile OS from scratch so they jumped on Linix for a free software ride. In fairness Linix/Androud do work well but it does sacrifice some software engineering originality of form and design.

    Yes, but free is how to win hearts and minds of geeks everywhere. Google is infallible in their eyes.
  • Reply 135 of 148
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,719member
    rivie62 wrote: »
     Android is overwhelming Apple on every front, online mobile sales are just the next thing that Android will conquer.  

    Except profit share, usage share (internet, apps, shopping, etc), US market Share, the minds of people. But yeah, every where.

    Android already leads by a massive market Share worldwide. Why hasn't it caught up with Apple on usage share? Easy, a lot of Androids are used as feature phones.
  • Reply 136 of 148
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,328member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rivie62 View Post

     

    Gartner: World-Wide Smartphone Sales (Thousands of Units)






























    Quarter Windows Mobile[27] RIM Symbian[28] iOS Android[29] Bada Windows Phone[30] Other Total Smartphones Total Phones
    2013 Q3 [31]   4,401 458 30,330 205,023 633 8,912 475 250,232 455,642

     

    Perhaps Apple has a better operating system at the moment as clearly demonstrated by the iPhone users online purchases with their devices.  Apple also had a better Graphical OS in 1990, but then that crazy guy Bill Gates released Windows 3.0 and every PC out there could run an inferior but capable Graphical OS.  And fast forward to today and Windows owns 97% of the PC marketplace.  Android is overwhelming Apple on every front, online mobile sales are just the next thing that Android will conquer.  Actually I'd love to have an iPhone, if they were about half the cost and had a bigger screen, but until then I'll stick with my Galaxy S II and I'll continue using my iPad 3, my Macintosh, my Windows 7 box, and my Roku.  All great tools.

     

    Avid Mac Developer,  until Steve Jobs came back.


     

    You really can't cite a single historical event as if it were definite evidence of future events, no matter how much it may appear, by your limited analysis, to parallel the current situation. It's just lazy thinking. And in terms of Android overwhelming Apple, you only need to check reference [29] in your table to determine the extent of the fronts on which that is occurring.

  • Reply 137 of 148
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    I'm surprised that many Android users even have a functioning electrical outlet at home, so that they can charge their device. If I wanted to meet many Android users, my best bet at finding a whole bunch of them would probably be to head down towards the nearest soup kitchen.

     

    When possible, I always try to avoid coming into close contact with Android users, like when I'm on the subway or a bus, as they probably carry more communicable diseases compared to the average, non cheap person. These people who are so cheap with their phones (ten dollars is enough to make these people whine and moan like there's no tomorrow), are also very likely to cheap out when it comes to other purchases, such as healthcare, medicine, preventative care etc.

     

    These people and their garbage phones do nothing to advance the tech industry forward. Quite the opposite.




    Truly excellent point Sir!  You can see that most people who use Android phones in my country tend to be immigrants.  The EU allows them to move over here and the first thing they do after they've claimed benefits is to buy a cheapy Android phone.  You never see an immigrant with an iPhone!

  • Reply 138 of 148
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member

    Truly excellent point Sir!  You can see that most people who use Android phones in my country tend to be immigrants.  The EU allows them to move over here and the first thing they do after they've claimed benefits is to buy a cheapy Android phone.  You never see an immigrant with an iPhone!

    Great now we have a bigot on 2 continents.
  • Reply 139 of 148
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

     

     

    But what will you do with it?


    Think different!

  • Reply 140 of 148
    "I know a lot of trolls that are going nowhere very fast"

    Paulo Coelho

    Please keep on being in denial, I enjoy watching this droid troll freak show. Looking forward to more idiotic math, mommy boy way pass their legal age still living with their parents and complaint a sub $1000 phone being expensive. And above all, haters trying to be hip and different, when you are just a clone without knowing it.
Sign In or Register to comment.