Samsung rumored to follow Apple's lead, split Galaxy S5 lineup into metal, plastic models

Comments

• Reply 81 of 147
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

More like shameless. It's mind boggling how this is the only other company that's profitable.

Absolutely shameless.  No other company should be able to rip off Apple's innovation in using metals, or plastics, in phones.   Samsung should be able to make phones, as long as they don't use metal or plastic.

• Reply 82 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    2385amh wrote: »
    Customers wanted bigger screens, that why everyone including apple made bigger screens. The 3.5 inch screen in the iphone 4S is to small in most peoples opinion.  Android manufactures got it right and apple got it wrong.  Thus the iphone 5 has a larger display, and rumors of even larger displays being tested get thousands of hits within minutes.

The iPhone 5 was smaller and lighter than all previous iPhones before it. The only place it increased in size was on height, but since you wrap your hand the sides it didn't affect the ability to hold the device in your hand, which is what Jobs was referring to in the comment you claim states "Apple will never make an iPhone will a larger display."
  • Reply 83 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The iPhone 5 was smaller and lighter than all previous iPhones before it. The only place it increased in size was on height, but since you wrap your hand the sides it didn't affect the ability to hold the device in your hand, which is what Jobs was referring to in the comment you claim states "Apple will never make an iPhone will a larger display."

My point is that the screen got bigger.  Apple will probably release an even bigger display soon.  By the way every galaxy s is also thinner and lighter as are most follow up phones.  And by the way the galaxy s4 is smaller and lighter then the s3 but guess what, it also got a bigger display.  I guess that contradicts your idea that apple is someone unique in the ability to be thin while not growing else wear. 

Samsung fit a bigger screen in a smaller phone and their displays are much higher resolution to boot.

• Reply 84 of 147
    My point is that the screen got bigger.  Apple will probably release an even bigger display soon.  By the way every galaxy s is also thinner and lighter as are most follow up phones.  And by the way the galaxy s4 is smaller and lighter then the s3 but guess what, it also got a bigger display.  I guess that contradicts your idea that apple is someone unique in the ability to be thin while not growing else wear. 

Samsung fit a bigger screen in a smaller phone.

1) It contradicts nothing I said and contradicts what you said about making a device thinner and smaller requires zero innovation. Thank you for making my own point.

2) Again, the iPhone got smaller despite the display gaining more area and with no impact to a user's ability to hold the iPhone. Actually, I take that back, plenty of people said it was now too thin and therefore slightly harder to hold.
  • Reply 85 of 147
    Quote:

1) It contradicts nothing I said and contradicts what you said about making a device thinner and smaller requires zero innovation. Thank you for making my own point.

2) Again, the iPhone got smaller despite the display gaining more area and with no impact to a user's ability to hold the iPhone. Actually, I take that back, plenty of people said it was now too thin and therefore slightly harder to hold.

you said that android manufactures had to make the phones bigger to allow them to make it thinner.  Samsung made it simultaneously thinner and smaller.  While increasing screen size.

This does contradict the idea that an android manufacture can't increase thinness with out expanding the device else wear, which is exactly what you claimed.  

EDIT

My mistake I thought a post from some one else (hill60) was you.  Disregard what I said.

• Reply 86 of 147
    [quote name="2385amh" url="/t/161570/samsung-rumored-to-follow-apples-lead-split-galaxy-s5-lineup-into-metal-plastic-models/80#post_2457777"]you said that android manufactures had to make the phones bigger to allow them to make it thinner.[/QUOTE]
    No I didn't.

[QUOTE] Samsung made it simultaneously thinner and smaller.  While increasing screen size. This does contradict the idea that an android manufacture increase thinness with out expanding the device else wear, which is exactly what you claimed.  [/QUOTE]

What Samsung phone(s) got a larger display over it's predecessor while having less volume? It's certainly possible that Samsung [I]et al.[/I] have used innovations in technology to similatously use a larger display whilst making their devices smaller and lighter, but with so many models I know for sure that Apple has done it. Note that smaller is not the same as thinner unless you only a 1D entity (and based on your comments that doesn't seem too far off the mark). But none of that is relevant your original point that so is no way using any innovations in technology, for which only [U]you[/U] said wasn't happening which again go back to your inability to comprehend what has been stated.

PS: Are you trolling or are you really that poor at following the words. If English isn't your primary language or if there is another reason you can't seem to comprehend what you read I'll try to use simpler sentences and terminology, but it really just sounds like classic trolling techniques.

PPS: Here's the bottom line (I'l use bullet points to make it easier to digest):

[LIST]
    [*] Apple hasn't stopped innovating.
    [*] You not liking what Apple is doing does not equate to a lack of innovation.
    [*] Apple's innovations are clearly more than you're either willing or capable of seeing, outside of large broad strokes that get their own marketing names or have a new shiny design to accompany them.
    [*] The iPhone 5 and probably the iPad mini all started whilst Jobs was running Apple.
    [*] Jobs never contradicted himself about making devices with different sized displays and we know from their trail with Samsung that Apple had many, many prototypes of different sized displays.
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 87 of 147
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    frood wrote: »
    Absolutely shameless.  No other company should be able to rip off Apple's innovation in using metals, or plastics, in phones.   Samsung should be able to make phones, as long as they don't use metal or plastic.

They most certainly can use metal or plastic, but releasing the same phone in a metal and also a plastic version just reeks of 'me too'.

Whenever a competitor comes up with a new idea a company will do one of 2 things, either they'll continue doing things their way or they'll take the lead of the competitor and do something similar but to copy the competitor outright lacks inspiration and not very imaginative.
  • Reply 88 of 147
    Quote:

No I didn't.

What Samsung phone(s) got a larger display over it's predecessor while having less volume? It's certainly possible that Samsung et al. have used innovations in technology to similatously use a larger display whilst making their devices smaller and lighter, but with so many models I know for sure that Apple has done it. Note that smaller is not the same as thinner unless you only a 1D entity (and based on your comments that doesn't seem too far off the mark). But none of that is relevant your original point that so is no way using any innovations in technology, for which only you said wasn't happening which again go back to your inability to comprehend what has been stated.

PS: Are you trolling or are you really that poor at following the words. If English isn't your primary language or if there is another reason you can't seem to comprehend what you read I'll try to use simpler sentences and terminology, but it really just sounds like classic trolling techniques.

I thought a post from someone else was you.  And the S4 got a bigger display while also having less volume then the S3

• Reply 89 of 147
    And the S4 got a bigger display while also having less volume then the S3

And you don't think "making changes in something established, esp. by introducing new methods or ideas" is required for that to occur.. oh, wait, that's only when Apple innovates it means nothing.
  • Reply 90 of 147
    Quote:

No I didn't.

What Samsung phone(s) got a larger display over it's predecessor while having less volume? It's certainly possible that Samsung et al. have used innovations in technology to similatously use a larger display whilst making their devices smaller and lighter, but with so many models I know for sure that Apple has done it. Note that smaller is not the same as thinner unless you only a 1D entity (and based on your comments that doesn't seem too far off the mark). But none of that is relevant your original point that so is no way using any innovations in technology, for which only you said wasn't happening which again go back to your inability to comprehend what has been stated.

PPS: Here's the bottom line (I'l use bullet points to make it easier to digest):

• Apple hasn't stopped innovating.

• You not liking what Apple is doing does not equate to a lack of innovation.

• Apple's innovations are clearly more than you're either willing or capable of seeing, outside of large broad strokes that get their own marketing names or have a new shiny design to accompany them.

• The iPhone 5 and probably the iPad mini all started whilst Jobs was running Apple.

• Jobs never contradicted himself about making devices with different sized displays and we know from their trail with Samsung that Apple had many, many prototypes of different sized displays.

I'm not a troll nor do I have any issues understanding English.  The main issue was that I am attempting to talk to you while multitasking at work.  The results were a massive fail.  I didn't realize that I was having a conversation with more then one person.  I mistakenly associated several comments that another poster made to you.  This was the reason that from your point of view I was not following your argument/discussion.

• Reply 91 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

S5W - wood

Is that Samesung's version of a "burner phone"?

• Reply 92 of 147
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    They most certainly can use metal or plastic, but releasing the same phone in a metal and also a plastic version just reeks of 'me too'.

Maybe they really just want a better feeling device. To me, that's at least a step in the right direction if they are going to try to match Apple's superb fit-and-finish. Even the notion of using the exact same internals but with a different shell sounds like a reasonable move since the investment, and therefore risk, is minor. I'm actually kind of excited to see what will come of this.
  • Reply 93 of 147
    Quote:

Maybe they really just want a better feeling device. To me, that's at least a step in the right direction if they are going to try to match Apple's superb fit-and-finish. Even the notion of using the exact same internals but with a different shell sounds like a reasonable move since the investment, and therefore risk, is minor. I'm actually kind of excited to see what will come of this.

Exactly this, Samsung would be wise to follow apples lead and use a high quality material such as metal in the manufacture of their devices.   It would make them considerably more desirable IMO.  

• Reply 94 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

Apple doesnt make any of these products.  

High resolution screens are purchased by apple not made or developed by them

PCIe SSDs while great were not invented or used exclusively by apple.  And note I specifically said that my comment didn't apply to the MacPro

Again did not mean to address the MACPro

A7 SoC is probably the most legitimate claim you made and I do admit it is pretty advanced for a mobile processor.

Ibeacons are NFC like bluetooth devices apple did not invent these they are based on exsisting bluetooth technology

Not a single thing you mentioned besides the A7 was invented by apple.  To be honest Samsung has done much more for the display, processor, and hard drive market then apple ever has.  Samsung actually invents many of the breakthroughs in these technologies.  They don't just purchase them and allow a pretty package to suffice. 

Apple's multi-touch screens are developed in-house by Apple. In fact, Apple has many patents for its touch display technologies. And iBeacon is an API developed by Apple that exploits (among other things) Bluetooth Low Energy.

To be honest, Apple has done much more for the display, processor, and solid state market than Samsung ever has.

• Reply 95 of 147
    Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

These are incremental upgrades I was talking about innovation.

Go to MacRumors.

Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

My point is that the screen got bigger.

That wasn’t your point at all.

Samsung made it simultaneously thinner and smaller.  While increasing screen size.

Leave it to Samsung to break the laws of physics.

• Reply 96 of 147
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »

While it looks great and is much stronger I really don't like the feel of the metal edges on my fingers. I also don't believe that they have to match Apple's fit and finish, because it hasn't helped HTC by doing so.
  • Reply 97 of 147
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    While it looks great and is much stronger I really don't like the feel of the metal edges on my fingers. I also don't believe that they have to match Apple's fit and finish, because it hasn't helped HTC by doing so.

HTC's designs look great but they 1) still need to go up against Samsung's marketing, reach and dominance which is something Samsung already dominates in the Android-based market, and 2) as nice as the HTC One looks it has a lot of shortcomings internally that would make me take an S4 over it any day (although if I had to get an Android phone it would be a Nexus 5).
  • Reply 98 of 147
    dipdog3 wrote: »
    $1,100?
    That will run like $650 on contract!!

Who is really going to buy that except for a select few fanboys?

Apple's most expensive iPhone only cost $850...

Yes but you also get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and a Galaxy Gear thrown in free of charge.
  • Reply 99 of 147
    Quote:

Yes you definitely seem to understand what I mean, I hope your predictions are right.  Steven Jobs died at the end of 2011 and I hope that the innovation and brilliance he personified didn't die with him.

Jobs died in October 2011 but was largely incapacitated for at least 6 months prior to that. It has been almost 3 years since he was intensively involved in the company. In that time, Apple has developed and released two new versions of iOS, two new versions of OS X, the brilliant and innovative new Mac Pro, MacBook Pro Retina, the iPhone 5s with its innovative 64-bit A7 processor, M7 motion processor and Touch ID sensor, the iPad mini, and the highly regarded new iMac designs.

Beyond that, you have no idea what Apple has been working on and intends to introduce over the next year or two. Do you seriously think Apple was all about—and only about—Steve Jobs? Give the nonsense up already, 2385amh.

Quote:

Steve Jobs was apple and now without him they will die a slow slow death over the next 5 or 10 years.

Even if Apple's revenues went to ZERO today, its cash would last for at least 15 to 20 years. Your assertion is ridiculous.

• Reply 100 of 147
    To be fair Apple has become pretty stale in the innovation game too.  Aside from the Mac Pro which is amazing (unfortunately no consumers really buy desktops anymore) they are pretty light on ideas.  Aside from the fingerprint scanner (which they bought) the last few iphones have basically been an upgrade in processor and making it slightly thinner (both of which just follow the technological advance in the field as a whole) not cutting edge.  

The Ipad air is nice but the same as the larger version (just thinner) same for the ipad mini (just smaller) ipod touch (iphone without antenna) macbook air (thinner pro).  Apple has mastered the make things thinner game.  I am waiting for something that is actually innovative.  They have some of the best engineers and boat loads of money.  I am hoping something comes out soon that blows my socks off the way that the first Ipod, Iphone, and to a lesser degree Ipad did.  

Making things thinner and faster is nice but it is just the advancement of the industry, everyone does that.  Where is the big innovation?

At this point Apple basically makes two things, laptops with different sizes and specs (macbook air/pro line) and rectangular slabs or various sizes and features (iphone/ipod touch/ipad/ipad mini)  I really hope we get a new product category soon.  The basic technology of the iphone, ipad, ipad mini, and ipod touch are exactly the same.  They are all basically iphones with different size screens or a lack of an antenna to place calls.  

So the Boeing 747 was just an incremental improvement on the Wright brothers plane, the Porche 911 an incremental improvement over the Model T Ford and the QE2 an incremental improvement on the canoe?