Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 133
    You mofos complain too much they make the smallest thinnest fastest phone in the world.Lead the world in sales the only one still selling MP3 players.And make the fastest desktop in the world.Peeps sell body parts and such theives steal iPhone and iPads
  • Reply 22 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    yes i blame Tim because he admitted they estimated wrong the demand for the 5C and 5S.  He thought they were going to sell way more 5C then they did and way less 5S than they did.

    if he had any clue he should have KNOWN (like many on this very forum) that at its current price point the 5C would not sell even close to the 5S.  But he didn't.  He had THREE FRIKEN MONTHS to produce enough 5S but he FAILED. 
    Using all caps doesn't make your point more valid. It just makes you look like a child throwing a temper tantrum.
  • Reply 23 of 133

    While I don't agree that this lady is the second coming of Steve Jobs nor do I think Steve was "all knowing" because he certainly got a lot of things wrong and had to be convinced otherwise. In fact, if memory serves, Steve had to be convinced to use the name iPhone and he had some other weird name stuck in his head. But I will agree with you that Apple is late to the game with a larger screen and had they released one sooner their sales would have been far higher assuming they don't price it ridiculously higher. 

     

    I am not sure that I buy the excuses Tim gave about not wanting to make any compromises. That seemed a little too much like an excuse after the fact and nothing they could not have overcome if they had wanted to make one. I think going to 4" was a smart move because that allowed them to still satisfy the one handed/small phone crowd. Apple should continue to sell a 4" alongside a larger model as long as it sells well. But I think a larger iPhone released with the 5s would have had a huge impact because Samsung pretty much flopped with their S4. Apple has given Samsung a chance to recover and any people who might have been potential iPhone customers will likely get an S5 if Samsung doesn't screw up again. 

     

    I think Tim was far too concerned about how developers would react to 2 new screen sizes and wanted to give them time before releasing a larger one. I think the demand for a larger iPhone is huge. On other Mac sites there is an overwhelming support for a larger display and among people I associate with in the real world I know of no one that would not prefer a larger display. Appleinsider is unique for some reason with a loud chorus of people opposed to a larger display. 

  • Reply 24 of 133
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,889member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Overnight?  How about 1 year?  How about 2 years?  Its taking FRIKEN THREE YEARS to finally bring out a bigger smartphone.  Thats RIDICULOUS!! 

    Crappy companies like Nokia, Google, Xiami, and other cheap chinese brands have been able to produce large screen phones.  Why the Fuk is it taking Apple THREE YEARS!!!!

    If they brought out a larger phone a year after the Galaxy S2 came out Apple would have crushed Samsung at the top end.  Now Samsung sells 100M and Apple 150M.  Apple could have captured over 200M top end phones if they were not so slow and arrogant.

    To be fair the last few years of Steve's life he was VERY SICK.  I did not expect him to have vision then

    And all those vendors sold 51MM smartphones last qtr.
    sog35 wrote: »
    Steve was DYING. Give the man a FRIKEN break. 

    He did anticipate demand with the iPod, iPhone, iTunes, App Store, and iPad.  He did.
    Now name me ONE THING Cook anticipated?  ONE THING.

    He anticipated a demand for a $550 cheap looking plastic iPhone.  WRONG! 
    He Fuking didn't even produce enought 5S phones this holiday season!!! What a f'ing joke. 
    Then didn't make enought iPadMini Retina.  WTF!!!!
    Same thing last year with iPadMini, iPhone5, and iMac.

    Jobs anticipated the iPod success? You do realize he resisted iPod for Windows for a while.

    You are now borderline trolling. I hate to block you, but revisionist history won't win any arguments.
  • Reply 25 of 133
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    dude, I think you need to take a chill pill. I don't know how much you've lost this week on AAPL but it clearly seems to be clouding your thought now.

    I was going to say exactly the same thing.  I'm worried about this guy having a stroke or something.  Deep breaths.

  • Reply 26 of 133
    If you ask me the problem with Apple and new products is not that Apple couldn't do a big phone or the ATV store or a souped up MacMini or a huge iPad or any of the product rumours you hear around the web. It's that Apple seems able to only focus on one thing at a time. This could be because Jony Ive is the gatekeeper on all new stuff. He's only one guy and that makes it difficult to have many new projects on the boil at one time.
  • Reply 27 of 133
    Right because old world "royalty" is relevant in 2014, what a bunch of pomp and circumstance.

    On the flip side, the Queen actually has iron fist control of Canada for instance, if she wanted to exercise it, so there is some active machinery in the British Monarchy...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_realm

    In the United States, citizens are effectively sovereigns by birthright if we defend the right, thanks to those who overthrew the Crown. It's all about property ownership... http://files.meetup.com/515783/Rights vs. Privileges - by Michael Badnarik.pdf

    Titles of nobility should be banned in public political office, like the original proposed 13th Amendment proposed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titles_of_Nobility_Amendment

    The problem with titles of nobility is people in that system actually believe they hold some level of superiority over others who don't or who are not part of that old-world system. Further, I believe a title of nobility is in conflict with being a citizen of the United States, for instance. Why? Because it is like holding dual citizenships, you can not truly hold allegiance to one country if you are a citizen of multiple.
  • Reply 28 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    woodbine wrote: »
    If you ask me the problem with Apple and new products is not that Apple couldn't do a big phone or the ATV store or a souped up MacMini or a huge iPad or any of the product rumours you hear around the web. It's that Apple seems able to only focus on one thing at a time. This could be because Jony Ive is the gatekeeper on all new stuff. He's only one guy and that makes it difficult to have many new projects on the boil at one time.
    What is your source that Apple is only able to focus on one thing at a time? Or that Ive is the gatekeeper of everything? :???:
  • Reply 29 of 133
    Sog35 is the new TechStud.

    Yeah... Just blocked him/it.
  • Reply 30 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    Shouldn't the products sell themselves?

     

    Seriously?

  • Reply 31 of 133
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    They sold 50,000,000 Galaxy S2

    100,000,000 Galaxy Note 2, S3

    100,000,000 Galaxy Note3, S4

     

    it  has been a HUGE success even with a crappy software, OS, and build quality. 


    Is your real name Flavor Flav?

  • Reply 32 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    malax wrote: »
    I was going to say exactly the same thing.  I'm worried about this guy having a stroke or something.  Deep breaths.
    I'm done responding now. Can't deal with people who are frothing at the mouth and being irrational.
  • Reply 33 of 133
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,889member
    <rant>Right because old world "royalty" is relevant in 2014, what a bunch of pomp and circumstance.

    On the flip side, the Queen actually has iron fist control of Canada for instance, if she wanted to exercise it, so there is some active machinery in the British Monarchy...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_realm

    In the United States, citizens are effectively sovereigns by birthright if we defend the right, thanks to those who overthrew the Crown. It's all about property ownership... http://files.meetup.com/515783/Rights vs. Privileges - by Michael Badnarik.pdf

    Titles of nobility should be banned in public political office, like the original proposed 13th Amendment proposed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titles_of_Nobility_Amendment

    The problem with titles of nobility is people in that system actually believe they hold some level of superiority over others who don't or who are not part of that old-world system. Further, I believe a title of nobility is in conflict with being a citizen of the United States, for instance. Why? Because it is like holding dual citizenships, you can not truly hold allegiance to one country if you are a citizen of multiple. </rant>

    I don't think either of them are US citizens. Besides the title is an honor just like the Congressional Medal of Freedom.
  • Reply 34 of 133
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    This week?  How about the last 18 months!

     

    its been FAILURE after FAILURE with Tim Cook.  This was just the last straw this week.  I've tried to give him a fair shake but he's just failed to do anything to move the meter forward.

     

    Lets count his failures:

     

    1. Failed to make a bigger phone after THREE YEARS of Galaxy success and 250,000,000 Galaxy phones sold

    2. Failed to estimate demand for 5C

    3. Failed to estimate demand for 5S and 5 (lead to shortages, AGAIN)

    4. Allowing Wall Street to announce a dividend and buybacks (use the f'ing money to innovate)

    5. Allowing Ichan to shame him in public

    6. Allow his stock to get trashed in the media without firing shots back (if you don't think this matters you are clueless, Executive compensation and much of managment compensation is tied to stock options, over 50%!!!!)

    7. Failed to debunk obvious LIES and BS leaked by Wall Street Journal and NY Times (Jobs would have chewed there azz)

    8. Failed to produce enough units for iPadMini TWO FRIKEN YEARS IN A ROW!

    9. Failed to anticipate saturated high end of phones/ipads (should have released a mid-range phone BEFORE saturation)

    10. Failed to attack Google with a search product even though Google is CONSTANTLY attacking Apple with hardware products

    11. Giving software for FREE and causing revenue to go down $1,000,000,000 every quarter.  Most people dont give a shet about the software.

    12. Increasing deferred revenue for who knows why.

    13. Being a punching bag

    15. Letting long-term stockholders suffer


     

    Thanks for sharing your list.  Now I'm sure I don't agree with you.  This is a combination of nonsense, misattribution of "blame," and errors.

     

    My suggestion to you is "sell your AAPL shares and invest in a company you believe in."  Clearly Cook can do no right, and he has the complete support of the board, so you're crazy to keep betting on this horse.  You can buy back in when Cook gets fired (as you have no doubt he will).

     

    You're welcome.

     

    Personally, I've made (on paper) a ton of money on my AAPL investment, and lost a lot (on paper) in recent years.  But frankly there was an AAPL bubble a few years ago and it was unreasonable to expect any company to keep growing at the pace Apple was.  The best analogy I can think of is an NFL team that goes 12-4 and deep into the playoffs one year, 15-1 and wins the Superbowl the next year, and it criticized for only getting 16 regular season wins and a Superbowl the third year.  "Dammit, we were expecting at least 17 regular season wins!  Fire the coach!"

  • Reply 35 of 133
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

    Funny thing, it's not just Apple.

    ******************

     Boeing Co beat expectations for its fourth quarter profit on Wednesday and pointed to a surge in 2014 commercial aircraft deliveries, but its shares slid in early trade as its conservative profit and cashflow forecasts spooked investors.

    The Chicago-based aerospace and defense company said net income in the quarter rose to$1.23 billion, or $1.61 a share, from $978 million, or $1.28 a share, a year earlier. Revenue rose to $23.8 billion from $22.3 billion in the quarter.

    Core earnings, which exclude some pension expenses, rose 29 percent to $1.84 billion, or$1.88 a share, compared with $1.46 a share a year earlier.

    Analysts had expected core earnings per share of $1.57 for the fourth quarter, and revenue of$22.7 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

    However, despite the buoyant results, shares in the aerospace giant fell 4.4 percent to $131.00in early trading on the New York Stock Exchange as investors worried about its cautious outlook for the year ahead.

    *******************

  • Reply 36 of 133
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,451member
    I hope she can go some way to helping stop some of the anti-Apple sentiment many have in the UK. Don't get me wrong there is a massive pro Apple presence and user base of enthusiastic folks but there is a certainly not a pro Apple feeling in many an institution. I think a lot of it dates back to the days when the UK had the BBC micro, Sinclair and so on and there was a definite resistance to Apple ][s. Since those days there was a reluctance to support Macs in preference to Windows and even the BBC were very slow to support Macs in their players. Given Apple's original support for Acorn's ARM development and continued use and now this hiring, things should be a lot brighter in cross-pond relations. Now we just need Doctor Who to use an iPad. :D
  • Reply 37 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Seriously?
    Yes, seriously. I didn't need Phil Schiller or Jony Ive to sell me an iPad Air. The product sold itself.

    Read this: http://www.fastcompany.com/3023591/angela-ahrendts-a-new-season-at-apple
    "I don't want to be sold to when I walk into a store. The job is to be a brilliant brand ambassador. Don't sell! No! Because that's a turn-off. Build an amazing brand experience, and then it will just naturally happen." - Ahrendts

    Also in this story:
    Selling has always been distasteful to one camp within Apple that believes that the products should sell themselves--and that happy users are the greatest brand ambassadors. A leader of this cohort: designer Jonathan Ive. Even in the store's earliest days, he had some sharp criticisms. "For Jony, they were always selling too hard," says Jeff Zwerner, a former Apple creative director who worked closely with Johnson and the rest of the retail team.
  • Reply 38 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post



    yes i blame Tim because he admitted they estimated wrong the demand for the 5C and 5S.  He thought they were going to sell way more 5C then they did and way less 5S than they did.



    if he had any clue he should have KNOWN (like many on this very forum) that at its current price point the 5C would not sell even close to the 5S.  But he didn't.  He had THREE FRIKEN MONTHS to produce enough 5S but he FAILED. 


    Using all caps doesn't make your point more valid. It just makes you look like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

    You're being totally vacuous. Either address his substantive points, or move along....

  • Reply 39 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

     


    Using all caps doesn't make your point more valid. It just makes you look like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

    You're really being totally vacuous. Either address his substantive points, or move along....

  • Reply 40 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    They sold 50,000,000 Galaxy S2

    100,000,000 Galaxy Note 2, S3

    100,000,000 Galaxy Note3, S4

     

    it  has been a HUGE success even with a crappy software, OS, and build quality. 


    "Sold" or "sent"? Usually, when we hear about Samsung we only hear about production, not the real sales. Apple give data about their sales.

     

    "crappy software, OS, and build quality."... and low price. It's a main key to explain the whatever success of this model and all the Android business. And frankly, I do not wish Apple to go this way. 

Sign In or Register to comment.