Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    marubeni wrote: »
    Yahoo was (and still is) WAY overpriced, given that their US business is moribund, and they are basically a holding company for their AliBaba interests (yes, Yahoo Japan is successful, but that is not such a huge business).  As for Apple, the stock has been on a run over the last several months, the guidance was lousy, so the selloff is quite reasonable.
    No it's not reasonable. Apple is basically priced as a no growth stock yet it's being pummeled because earnings growth is essentially flat.
  • Reply 82 of 133
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

    Sorry but Tim Cook has no mojo.

     

    Wrong.

     

    Plus, if you were right, you could give an argument based on facts, not just an assertion of your opinion.

     

    So, not only are you wrong, you're not even trying. 

  • Reply 83 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

     

     

    Oh, let's see.  Since Dame Judi Dench received her honor, she has been nominated for 7 Oscars (winning one), nominated for 11 Golden Globes (winning two), nominated for 17 BAFTAs (winning 5), etc.  I could go on, but what's the point?


    Excuse me dear Sir, I may have misspoken.  I was referring to Dame Judy Sanderson the wife or the archduke of Chesteton, not the esteemed Judi (spelled with an "i") Dench.  You have a point sir and I concede to your wisdom.  I give you this one.

  • Reply 84 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

    Oh, shut up. “Tim Cook should be fired/supplemented” is “worthy of discussion”? I know you’re not an idiot; you’re better than this nonsense.


    I meant Techstud (I thought that was evident from the response I quoted), not Tallest Skil.

     

    Add: Apparently, judging by the responses (and the growing number of them), a lot of people do think it's worthy of discussion?

  • Reply 85 of 133
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

     

    Excuse me dear Sir, I may have misspoken.  I was referring to Dame Judy Sanderson the wife or the archduke of Chesteton, not the esteemed Judi (spelled with an "i") Dench.  You have a point sir and I concede to your wisdom.  I give you this one.


     

    Ahh, ok.  Sorry. :)

  • Reply 86 of 133
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,889member
    The truth is that no one who has been "knighted" by the crown has ever produced anything decent afterwards.  Their great achievements happened before the event.  Sir Elton, Sir Mick, Sir David, Dame Judy, the list goes on and on...  I hope she (and Jony) can buck this trend.

    Well... I see you retracted.
    jupiterone wrote: »
    I'm not sure who you're talking about, but Ahrendts and Melinda Gates are both US citizens.

    Interesting. I thought Sir/Dame were for Brits only.
  • Reply 87 of 133
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Interesting. I thought Sir/Dame were for Brits only.

     

    From the article:

     

    "Damehood for a non-British national is said to be approved by the Queen, but is not awarded by a member of the royal family."

  • Reply 88 of 133
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

    I meant Techstud (I thought that was evident from the response I quoted), not Tallest Skil.

     

    Bah! That’s a lot funnier than it should be. Oh man, I’m sorry. If I had eggs in the house, I’d post a picture of one on my face. :embarrass

     

    Add: Apparently, judging by the responses (and the growing number of them), a lot of people do think it's worthy of discussion?


     

    If only to dismiss it. 

  • Reply 89 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Well... I see you retracted.
    Interesting. I thought Sir/Dame were for Brits only.
    You can still get the honor but can't use the title. For example Jony Ive can be called Sir Jony, but Bill Gates can not be called Sir Bill.
  • Reply 90 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    No it's not reasonable. Apple is basically priced as a no growth stock yet it's being pummeled because earnings growth is essentially flat.

     

    As was pointed out elsewhere, the Apple EPS actually seems to be DECLINING. Anyway, you are obviously a great expert on corporate valuation, so there is no point arguing with you (not any more than arguing with my cat).

  • Reply 91 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    You can still get the honor but can't use the title. For example Jony Ive can be called Sir Jony, but Bill Gates can not be called Sir Bill.

     

    Yes, Bill can only be called "The Great Satan".

  • Reply 92 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    agree.  Look at Apples EPS growth the last 5 quarters:

     

    0%

    -18%

    -20%

    -5%

    5%

     

    Thats ridiculously bad.  Especially since in the majority of those quarters (starting in Oct 2012) the phone and tablet market was growing 25-30%.  Yet Apple contracted in profits. 

     

    Cook needs to be fired if he can't reach 10-15% growth in 2014 or he needs to layout a long-term plan thats show how growth will return.  But blaming supply constraints, deferred revenue, currency flux, just does not cut it.  No more excuses.


    Let me get this straight.. you want Apple to make a larger screened iPhone, while charging less money.... AND making more profit?  You can't do all three.  Apple's profit margin is lower because of the 'cheaper' devices they've added, which seem to be purchased by enough customers to lower overall profit margin.  If Apple were to release a new 6" iPhone (big enough for you?) at the $350 price you keep throwing around, they'd be LOSING money on every single device, which would in turn kill their profits and their stock price... no doubt sending you into a coma.

  • Reply 93 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by itsdevvy View Post

     

    Let me get this straight.. you want Apple to make a larger screened iPhone, while charging less money.... AND making more profit?  You can't do all three.  Apple's profit margin is lower because of the 'cheaper' devices they've added, which seem to be purchased by enough customers to lower overall profit margin.  If Apple were to release a new 6" iPhone (big enough for you?) at the $350 price you keep throwing around, they'd be LOSING money on every single device, which would in turn kill their profits and their stock price... no doubt sending you into a coma.


     

    Congratulations! Your first post is complete nonsense.

  • Reply 94 of 133

    I totally feel the love.  You make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

     

    Please do tell.. how is it complete nonsense as a response to the person who insists on Apple selling a less expensive, larger screened device to compete with Samsung phones, all while making more money and retaining Apple's quality?

  • Reply 95 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by itsdevvy View Post

     

    I totally feel the love.  You make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

     

    Please do tell.. how is it complete nonsense as a response to the person who insists on Apple selling a less expensive, larger screened device to compete with Samsung phones, all while making more money and retaining Apple's quality?


     

    Because you are conflating a bunch of completely different ideas: the big device, the cheap device, etc, etc.

  • Reply 96 of 133
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by itsdevvy View Post

     

    I totally feel the love.  You make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

     

    Please do tell.. how is it complete nonsense as a response to the person who insists on Apple selling a less expensive, larger screened device to compete with Samsung phones, all while making more money and retaining Apple's quality?


    Probably because I doubt he was suggesting that they sell a larger phone as their cheaper version. He was talking about the 5c or a new mid range offering.Two completely different topics. Also why is that whenever someone mentions a larger phone people start talking about using the iPad Mini or a 6" phone. There is a whole lot of options between 4" and 6". If Apple can sell and make a profit on a 16GB iPod Touch at $229 there is little doubt they could also make a very nice profit on a very similar product with the needed telephony parts for around $449. Unless you want to argue that those parts costs more than $220 which would be hard to defend since brand new phone with LTE can be had now for under $200. I don't think anyone suggested Apple should sell a large phone cheaper. Very likely Apple will charge a $100 premium for a larger iPhone.

  • Reply 97 of 133
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    marubeni wrote: »
    Because you are conflating a bunch of completely different ideas: the big device, the cheap device, etc, etc.

    He can hardly be blamed for conflating what our new knight of flatus, sog35 says. Sir Sogy.
  • Reply 98 of 133
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

    STOP.

     

    FEEDING.

     

    THE.

     

    TROLLS!

  • Reply 99 of 133

    Well, if Apple were to make a 'larger' device, without hurting their profit margins, it would be priced higher.  I'm not sure many people want to pay an extra $100 (that seems to be Apple's going rate for feature additions) for a larger phone, especially with carriers deciding subsidies are bad.  At this point, unless they've found a manufacturer that can make larger screens at a slightly lower cost than the 4" screen, I don't see a new larger iPhone appearing at the same cost of the 5S.  That may change by September, however.

     

    Sure, they could make a 'mid-range' phone, but they already HAVE a mid-range phone called the iPhone 5C. True, it's priced higher than people would like, but at this point in time, Apple can't manufacture the device cheap enough to reduce the price by the amount people want without angering investors.  The iPhone 5/5C's hardware is the lowest end I can see Apple going with.  It would be counterproductive to go down to the A5 - they might as well have kept the iPhone 4/4S around if they're going to do that.

  • Reply 100 of 133
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Have you ever considered this might not be all on Tim Cook? For all you know he wanted to implemented several of your ideas but their were technical reasons, maybe supply issues, or something else that prevented him from moving faster with a large display than he would have liked. Apple is also a very slow moving and conservative company. They are rarely bleeding edge when it comes to established products with a few exceptions but when they decide to go for it they bet the farm like they did with the introduction of the iPhone which was a make or break gamble. Like I said before I would have also much preferred a larger iPhone far sooner but I don't think it is too late. People are not all that loyal to phones or even carriers. It is pretty easy to switch between Android and iPhone with lots of ways to sync your contacts. So if Apple releases a larger display there is no reason why all the people who left the platform, wanted to try an iPhone but were waiting for a larger display, and probably a lot of current iPhone customers that are considering leaving won't if Apple releases one this year. If a new iPhone comes out and they still only have a 4" iPhone I will join the chorus with you calling for Tim Cook to resign because I think a lot of very patient iPhone customers will start leaving and giving Android a shot.

    Hey look, some realism!

    When or if Apple does a larger screened phone, you are going to see some technology that enabled it that wasn't available till now. For example, it will be IGZO backplaned, or maybe LTPS.

    But, you say, iPhones have been LTPS for years. Correct, but Apple used so much of the world output of LTPS (was it 70%?) that there was only scraps left for Amazon and Google's giveaway tablets.

    Apple is not going to release a larger phone until they can supply 30 million or so decent retina LCD screens with good battery life per quarter . Not possible until now, if it's possible at all. Tim Cook says no tradeoffs, he means no tradeoffs. If you want to argue with this, be prepared for withering detail.
Sign In or Register to comment.