Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire

Comments

• Reply 41 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes, seriously. I didn't need Phil Schiller or Jony Ive to sell me an iPad Air. The product sold itself.

Read this: http://www.fastcompany.com/3023591/angela-ahrendts-a-new-season-at-apple

Also in this story:

Then why does Apple have advertising?

[I see what you are getting at... but first off... Apple has to get them in the store. Then the product should sell itself]

• Reply 42 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm not saying Apple doesn't need to build and maintain a great brand. They do and I think Ahrendts will be a big asset here. But to me that's different than selling. And Apple's ads over the past 6 months or so seem to be more about the brand than pure selling.
  • Reply 43 of 133
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yes, seriously. I didn't need Phil Schiller or Jony Ive to sell me an iPad Air. The product sold itself.

Read this: http://www.fastcompany.com/3023591/angela-ahrendts-a-new-season-at-apple

Also in this story:

There's a difference between marketing and selling.

...missed your edit, herm :D
  • Reply 44 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    You're being totally vacuous. Either address his substantive points, or move along....
    I'm not going to engage with someone throwing a temper tantrum. Apple's quarter and even their guidance didn't warrant a $40B sell off IMO. But hey Wall Street is on a downer recently. And just today Yahoo reported results that Wall Street didn't like and their stock is down 7%.
  • Reply 45 of 133
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sog35 wrote: »

Even friken McDonalds does that

Worthy of a block.
    You're really being totally vacuous. Either address his substantive points, or move along....

Pay me $400MM and I'll answer them.
  • Reply 46 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Samsung can hide shipped units Qtr by Qtr but not for a THREE YEAR PERIOD.  They sold 250,000,000 top end phones looking at inventory also.

Galaxy phones are not cheap.  Many of them like the Note3 cost more than iPhones.  Average Selling price is about $550-$600 for the new models.

You seem very fond of Samsung products. It's really fine for me. But why not let Apple be Apple and Samsung be Samsung? ;)

• Reply 47 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not saying Apple doesn't need to build and maintain a great brand. They do and I think Ahrendts will be a big asset here. But to me that's different than selling. And Apple's ads over the past 6 months or so seem to be more about the brand than pure selling.

I agree... and was sure to edit my comment before you replied.

• Reply 48 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Thanks for sharing your list.  Now I'm sure I don't agree with you.  This is a combination of nonsense, misattribution of "blame," and errors.

My suggestion to you is "sell your AAPL shares and invest in a company you believe in."  Clearly Cook can do no right, and he has the complete support of the board, so you're crazy to keep betting on this horse.  You can buy back in when Cook gets fired (as you have no doubt he will).

You're welcome.

Personally, I've made (on paper) a ton of money on my AAPL investment, and lost a lot (on paper) in recent years.  But frankly there was an AAPL bubble a few years ago and it was unreasonable to expect any company to keep growing at the pace Apple was.  The best analogy I can think of is an NFL team that goes 12-4 and deep into the playoffs one year, 15-1 and wins the Superbowl the next year, and it criticized for only getting 16 regular season wins and a Superbowl the third year.  "Dammit, we were expecting at least 17 regular season wins!  Fire the coach!"

I think your analogy is flawed.

Reverse the win/loss/Superbowl record for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd years and then maybe you'll be on to something.

• Reply 49 of 133
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You may not agree with sog35, but his points are certainly worthy of discussion (unlike TS's).

Oh, shut up. “Tim Cook should be fired/supplemented” is “worthy of discussion”? I know you’re not an idiot; you’re better than this nonsense.

• Reply 50 of 133
    FRIKEN. Is that a Norwegian swear word or something?
  • Reply 51 of 133

I have also thought that Apple and more companies should stop offering guidance. Let's see how well the analysts can do their jobs without a cheat sheet. Even with a cheat sheet they ignore it and expect Apple to continue to perform like some small start up growth stock instead of a mature multi-billion dollar company competing in some tough economic times with a growlingly saturated market. I understand that stock prices do not in reality reflect the actual value or performance of a company but the expected future value but Apple does need to do a better job to at least counter some of the lies and complete misrepresentation by analysts. Surely they must have one sharp witted spokesman who could give some interviews and go on some of these financial shows and confront these Apple bashing analysts instead of giving them a free reign. 

• Reply 52 of 133

Profits down 10% the last year.

For the last four quarters, they’re down 10% from the four before that?

Tim Cook  has been given the best brand in the entire universe and he can't grow earnings?

Yeah, they sure didn’t recently make a breakthrough in Russia and China or anything.

• Reply 53 of 133

I agree... and was sure to edit my comment before you replied.

Also in this story:

Your Edit
    I see what you are getting at... but first off... Apple has to get them in the store. Then the product should sell itself

Right on!

Marketing is what gets them in the store... Selling is getting them to buy what you have in the [wagon] store.

Both activities require attention and skill to be done effectively!
  • Reply 54 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, shut up. “Tim Cook should be fired/supplemented” is “worthy of discussion”? I know you’re not an idiot; you’re better than this nonsense.

To paraphrase Churchill:

“Tim Cook is the worst form of CEO, except for all the others.”

• Reply 55 of 133
    Quote:

Profits down 10% the last year.

Tim Cook  has been given the best brand in the entire universe and he can't grow earnings?  I'm sorry but the guy is making over a hundred million the last few years. Dude needs to bring results this year or he should be fired or demoted to COO

Have you ever considered this might not be all on Tim Cook? For all you know he wanted to implemented several of your ideas but their were technical reasons, maybe supply issues, or something else that prevented him from moving faster with a large display than he would have liked. Apple is also a very slow moving and conservative company. They are rarely bleeding edge when it comes to established products with a few exceptions but when they decide to go for it they bet the farm like they did with the introduction of the iPhone which was a make or break gamble. Like I said before I would have also much preferred a larger iPhone far sooner but I don't think it is too late. People are not all that loyal to phones or even carriers. It is pretty easy to switch between Android and iPhone with lots of ways to sync your contacts. So if Apple releases a larger display there is no reason why all the people who left the platform, wanted to try an iPhone but were waiting for a larger display, and probably a lot of current iPhone customers that are considering leaving won't if Apple releases one this year. If a new iPhone comes out and they still only have a 4" iPhone I will join the chorus with you calling for Tim Cook to resign because I think a lot of very patient iPhone customers will start leaving and giving Android a shot.

• Reply 56 of 133

Have you ever considered this might not be all on Tim Cook? For all you know he wanted to implemented several of your ideas but their were technical reasons, maybe supply issues, or something else that prevented him from moving faster with a large display than he would have liked. Apple is also a very slow moving and conservative company. They are rarely bleeding edge when it comes to established products with a few exceptions but when they decide to go for it they bet the farm like they did with the introduction of the iPhone which was a make or break gamble. Like I said before I would have also much preferred a larger iPhone far sooner but I don't think it is too late. People are not all that loyal to phones or even carriers. It is pretty easy to switch between Android and iPhone with lots of ways to sync your contacts. So if Apple releases a larger display there is no reason why all the people who left the platform, wanted to try an iPhone but were waiting for a larger display, and probably a lot of current iPhone customers that are considering leaving won't if Apple releases one this year. If a new iPhone comes out and they still only have a 4" iPhone I will join the chorus with you calling for Tim Cook to resign because I think a lot of very patient iPhone customers will start leaving and giving Android a shot.

How big a screen should a phone have?

Would you consider a phone with a screen the size of an iPad Mini?
  • Reply 57 of 133

Good for her.

Quote:

not joking.  Apple is entering a new era that needs a CEO with vision and mojo.  Something Cook is missing.

Steve is a hard act to follow, and Tim certainly does not have the magic that he brought to presentations, but from the view of someone that has been following Apple for years that has no financial investment in Apple, personally I'd say he's doing a pretty damn good job so far.

Quote:

If Cook had vision he would have clearly seen the need for a larger screen phone.  Bad enough he didn't see the change coming but worse he FAILED to adjust once Samsung brought out the Galaxy S2.  Its taking Apple THREE FRIKEN YEARS to finally respond and bring out a bigger phone.  What a joke.  If they were proactive and brought out the big phone earlier they would have sold 75M phones this quarter.

Just because you happen to want a phone with a larger screen, does not mean everyone does. I for one definitely do not, nor do any of my co-workers and we all work for an online business that makes exclusive use of Macs in the office (UK based, age range of 20 between 35 - myself being 25 and the Development Manager if you are interested), only one of us does not own an iPhone.

Last time I checked, my iPhone 5 has a bigger screen than my 3GS did.

I am more than happy with the size of my iPhone 5, honestly, I don't want a bigger phone. If I wanted a bigger Apple product, I'd likely go get myself an iPad Mini (which, coincidentally, I also do not want). A 22 year old Canadian friend of mine does not even want to replace her 4 because the iPhones after it are "too big" for her.

I'm not saying that either you or I are right/wrong here, just that saying Apple would have sold 75M phones this quarter due to releasing an iPhone with a bigger screen is pure speculation and you know that as well as anyone else here.

Quote:

Cook is great at manufactering but we need someone who can perceive what the customer wants BEFORE the customer knows it himself.  The larger iPhone, ipad mini were both products the MARKET told Apple to make and then they made it.  Thats the opposite of what Steve Jobs did when he ANTICIPATED the demand for iPod and the original iPhone/iPad.

Most companies rarely get one major breakthrough product like Apple has. Apple already has three. Tim's been CEO for less than two and a half years - it took Apple six to go from first generation iPod to first generation iPhone. Patience is a virtue, as they say. I suspect Tim of having some surprises in the pipeline.

I'm not even going to start on the "not producing enough iPhones/iPads" comments. That has always been the case. So much so that I've always considered it to be part of their marketing strategy as it helps increase demand.

---

But you're right, the continued YoY growth for iPhone and iPad is so discouraging. /s

I'm sorry that you are sore over your share prices, but the people you have to blame for that is the "Analysts" (or rumour mongers as I prefer to call them that) that for whatever reason,  some people stupidly keep taking their word about what is going to/expected to happen at Apple as law.

• Reply 58 of 133

I've forgotten... what was this article about?

• Reply 59 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Are you being serious? No I would not consider an iPad mini since that is not pocketable. I think anything slightly north or south of 5 inches would satisfy most people looking for a larger phone.

• Reply 60 of 133

Are you being serious? No I would not consider an iPad mini since that is not pocketable. I think anything slightly north or south of 5 inches would satisfy most people looking for a larger phone.

It was/is a serious question.

I have 74-year-old eyes and stubby fat fingers. I find it difficult to use any smart phone.

My daughter has an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5C -- she takes them both with her most of the time.

I have an iPhone 5S, but only use it if I must. I always have my iPad 4 with me. I definitely would consider an iPhone the size of an iPad Mini -- only have to carry one device.

Not everyone has the same needs or desires -- but mine are as important to me, as yours are to you.