Microsoft officially names Satya Nadella CEO, Bill Gates steps down as chairman

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluestone View Post

What a convoluted mess. Microsoft now will have essentially a two-headed co-CEO leadership, and with Ballmer rattling around in the background could even be closer to a 2 1/2 headed thing.

It is inconceivable that Nadella will have any power over what Gates does. It is equally inconceivable that Gates will not have power over what Nadella does.

Can anybody really believe that if Gates says "X" Nadella will be able to say "Y"?

The way companies are turned around is that a new person comes in, sweeps out most of the old cruft, and installs their own leadership team. Lots of examples of that. What Microsoft has done is promote up the old baggage and bring back a big pile of even older baggage.

Talk about coffin nails...

Well said.  I'm sure the new CEO will be thrilled to have Bill's "help" on all the major decisions.  And even if Gates does stay in the background and just be supportive, why does anything this Gates has much to offer?  There has to be an element of "Steve came back and saved Apple (and changed the world), and I'm as smart as Steve was, so..."

• Reply 22 of 99
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I would love if he focussed on the only thing that Microsoft can do better than everybody else. It isn't services, it isn't devices: It's software.

Make Android and iOS better bey creating awesome software for it, I'm sure that some of the best minds in the field at redmond are dying to do it.

Currently Apple makes 2 better OSes than Microsoft, better services, better pro apps, a better mobile office suite, better browser, better web stores. Microsoft is as useful to me as a big pile of... rocks. I'm sure someone could build a great palace with those rocks.

What great software has Microsoft made?  Their biggest products (Word and Excel) are the definition of bloatware.  Powerpoint is the same.  SharePoint is a nightmare.

Seriously, what software were you thinking of when you said that Microsoft can "do software better than anyone?"  Is there any MS software product that is the best in class?

MS's core competency is selling software to enterprises, and the consumerization of IT (and new cloud solutions) is cutting into that.

• Reply 23 of 99

Bill Gates working at Microsoft three days a week? Are they trying to make Satya Nadella look like Jay Leno guest hosting The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson after Johnny cut back to three shows a week?

• Reply 24 of 99
    I was wondering why it took AppleInsider so damn long to post this news: is already read about it everywhere else. Guess they were too busy rephrasing analysts' press releases to post real news. :)
  • Reply 25 of 99
    bluestone wrote: »
    What a convoluted mess. Microsoft now will have essentially a two-headed co-CEO leadership, and with Ballmer rattling around in the background could even be closer to a 2 1/2 headed thing.

It is inconceivable that Nadella will have any power over what Gates does. It is equally inconceivable that Gates will not have power over what Nadella does.

Can anybody really believe that if Gates says "X" Nadella will be able to say "Y"?

The way companies are turned around is that a new person comes in, sweeps out most of the old cruft, and installs their own leadership team. Lots of examples of that. What Microsoft has done is promote up the old baggage and bring back a big pile of even older baggage.

Talk about coffin nails...

You are assuming of course that Nadella has no real power, but let's see if that pans out, he hasn't been on the job long enough to say its all just a smokescreen by Gates & Ballmer to retain power.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

What great software has Microsoft made?  Their biggest products (Word and Excel) are the definition of bloatware.  Powerpoint is the same.  SharePoint is a nightmare.

Seriously, what software were you thinking of when you said that Microsoft can "do software better than anyone?"  Is there any MS software product that is the best in class?

MS's core competency is selling software to enterprises, and the consumerization of IT (and new cloud solutions) is cutting into that.

Over the years with more and more features added to each product in the MS Office suite, the code itself has grown. This isn't any more different than what iTunes has become. Bloatware to some, especially on the Windows side.

Whether we like it or not MS Office, is the de facto standard for Office suites. Every other competitor out there, claims compatibility with MS Office. I don't see Google docs or MS Office, claiming any compatibility with iWork.

That being said, most people don't need all those features and the iPad along with iWork has helped in swaying peoples opinion on the matter. Before, when someone was buying a PC, one of the most common questions was, "where can I get a cheap/pirated copy of MS Office?"

Now back to your bloatware or best in class argument, I'd say depends who you ask. In a business environment, I can't imagine them dumping MS Office anytime soon. For what it does, it's pretty good and many bugs have been squashed over the years.

• Reply 27 of 99
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

It looks like you've chosen a new CEO.

Would you like me to show him where your innovation is kept?

• Reply 28 of 99
    You are assuming of course that Nadella has no real power, but let's see if that pans out, he hasn't been on the job long enough to say its all just a smokescreen by Gates & Ballmer to retain power.

I'm thinking Nadella may be a puppet for Gates. He could provide the cover for Gates to make some difficult behind-the-scenes re-org and hire/fire decisions and carry them out to protect Gates' legacy.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    RIP monkeyboy
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Microsoft's Visual Studio is best in class for software development.

• Reply 31 of 99
    Quote:

I would love if he focussed on the only thing that Microsoft can do better than everybody else. It isn't services, it isn't devices: It's software.

Make Android and iOS better bey creating awesome software for it, I'm sure that some of the best minds in the field at redmond are dying to do it.

Currently Apple makes 2 better OSes than Microsoft, better services, better pro apps, a better mobile office suite, better browser, better web stores. Microsoft is as useful to me as a big pile of... rocks. I'm sure someone could build a great palace with those rocks.

Currently Microsoft makes a better tablet OS than Apple. Currently Microsoft has better services, such as Azure. They both have good pro apps. Microsoft offers a better mobile Office Suite. IE11 is better than Safari.

• Reply 32 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WP7Mango View Post

Currently Microsoft makes a better tablet OS than Apple. Currently Microsoft has better services, such as Azure. They both have good pro apps. Microsoft offers a better mobile Office Suite. IE11 is better than Safari.

Wow, wrong on every point. You are 0 for 4 in that post alone. You should just stop. Really.

• Reply 33 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

Wow, wrong on every point. You are 0 for 4 in that post alone. You should just stop. Really.

Nope, you're wrong on every point. You should just stop! See, we could go round in circles forever.

Alternatively, we could discuss this in a little more detail.

• Reply 34 of 99
    wp7mango wrote: »
    Microsoft's Visual Studio is best in class for software development.

Oh god no.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh god no.

Oh god, yes!

• Reply 36 of 99
    wp7mango wrote: »

Oh god, yes!

Oh please. I get it. You find posting silly things amusing to annoy Apple users. Visual Studio is a bloated, overpriced carcass suitable only for adherents of Microsoft-proprietary languages, and IDE-dependent developers stuck on Microsoft's dead technologies like dot net and Silverlight.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh please. I get it. You find posting silly things amusing to annoy Apple users. Visual Studio is a bloated, overpriced carcass suitable only for adherents of Microsoft-proprietary languages, and IDE-dependent developers stuck on Microsoft's dead technologies like dot net and Silverlight.

Big? yes. Bloated? Nope. It depends on what you need to use. For example, enterprise versions are going to appear bloated compared to the free version for small-project programmers.

Visual Studio is not just about MS-proprietary stuff. I can create lots of cross platform stuff with it, and lots of enterprise-scale solutions too.

.NET dead end? Right, that's why it's now on version 4.5 and keeps getting better.

Overpriced? Nope - considering the power and capabilities, it's actually good value. And there is a free version too!

• Reply 38 of 99
    emesemes Posts: 239member

Jeez, this reminds me of the Monty Python Argument Clinic. "This isn't an argument, it's just contradiction!"

Would you care to explain exactly how he is wrong?
  • Reply 39 of 99
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So they chose the safe path and awarded an insider the job. Nothing will change. At least with an outsider, they have no political connections within the organization beyond the board of directors and can make the radical moves a flailing, stagnant company might need in order to right their course.

Sometimes that works out.

Sometimes you end up with JC Penny.

Or Leo Apotheker at HP.

• Reply 40 of 99
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Killer apps, if you are lucky enough to create any, are huge competitive advantages for a platform.

Hence Apple's investment in things like iLife and FCPX.

I dunno...on the consumer tablet side I'd have hit that Xbox integration and game library a lot lot harder.