Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview

Comments

• Reply 201 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Which it was, in spite of all the negative drivel from those suffering from sour grapes.

I don't need some crappy quad core processor overloaded with RAM, requiring a huge battery hiding behind an oversized screen to have one of the most powerful smartphones on Earth, I have an iPhone 5s.

Sour grapes? I have a 5s, 5, 4s, and 4 (I used to have a 3gs, don't know what happened to it). 5s is a nice phone, and TouchID is pleasant, but none of the applications either of us use either needs or uses 64 bit processing (I take it back, apparently Sing! Karaoke does). Read this piece on why 64 bit processors are (or will be)  useful for phones. Short version: to address more than 4GB. Which your 5s does not have.

• Reply 202 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Clearly we should be taking our financial advice from someone who makes up names like a 7-year-old and doesn't understand the use of apostrophes. I'd explain how absolute $$ changes for GOOG are about half as significant as the same price change for APPL, but it would go over your head.

Clearly you're not understanding what I'm trying to say, and have opted to talk down to me.  Good for you.

If you're such an elite investor, you should try to enlighten us mere mortals rather than be such a jerk.

It won't be over my head that's for sure.

I estimate GOOG has five years in it's current incarnation before all licensing, leasing, acquiring dries up.

Been tracking GEWGLE since before it existed (having worked in the industry, and now retired).

AAPL will go through it's own transition in the next few years as well, but has a much longer trajectory.

• Reply 203 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He even spelled Ponzi Scheme wrong so perhaps all his attempts at spelling Google is just his atrocious orthography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

• Reply 204 of 281
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    junkdrop1 wrote: »

There is no need for you to further prove my point. Everyone else but you already knows it's spelled Ponzi, not pony. But I am glad that you were able to look it up so perhaps next time you won't spell it incorrectly.
  • Reply 205 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

Clearly you're not understanding what I'm trying to say, and have opted to talk down to me.  Good for you.

If you're such an elite investor, you should try to enlighten us mere mortals rather than be such a jerk.

It won't be over my head that's for sure.

I estimate GOOG has five years in it's current incarnation before all licensing, leasing, acquiring dries up.

Been tracking GEWGLE since before it existed (having worked in the industry, and now retired).

AAPL will go through it's own transition in the next few years as well, but has a much longer trajectory.

If you expect to have an adult conversation, don't use the ploys of a second grader. I'm surprised you managed to call me a "jerk" instead of something  "special," like "rottersockets."

Don't act like you're not talking down to people with your word choice. Now brush your teeth (or take them out and cleanse them?) and get some sleep.

• Reply 206 of 281

You're still doing it.

No context.  No discussion.  Just make fun of someone that has an opinion about a stock or company

No substance.

I sleep well at night, thank you.  (Retired at 53).

• Reply 207 of 281
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

"rottersockets."

You shouldn't use the "R" word.

• Reply 208 of 281
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

Short version: to address more than 4GB. Which your 5s does not have.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

• Reply 209 of 281

Your original post said (I translate): no matter what you say, I have decided that 64 bit was great advance, facts be damned.

It’s okay if he thinks that as long as the facts back him up. Right? I mean, if he believes what the facts show, the transitive property says it doesn’t matter that he doesn’t believe the facts.

And as it turns out, the facts back him up.

• Reply 210 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

You're still doing it.

No context.  No discussion.  Just make fun of someone that has an opinion about a stock or company

No substance.

I sleep well at night, thank you.  (Retired at 53).

Fine. I'll translate into grown-up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

Spewgle is not even a real company! False:  

com·pa·ny

?k?mp?n?/

noun

1. 1.

a commercial business.

The losers that got sucked into this shill ponzy scheme won't know what hit them when the bubble finally bursts.

You can PM me and gloat when this happens. I'll buy you a $50 iTunes gift card.

Any stock that goes up $48 one day and down $26 the next is an obviously manipulated bubble-stock.

You mean like how APPL gained $22 then lost $17 Jan 13-17? Scaled up to GOOG prices, that's about $44 up and $34 down.

Goopgle only licenses (steals) and/or acquires what it wants and sloughs it off as innovation.

You've been following since before computers existed, so maybe you've heard of PageRank. That's probably how you found this web site. Aside from other software originating in house, what's wrong with acquiring technology? All the big tech companies do it.

Any citations where Google "sloughs it off as innovation?"

It's only source of revenue is friggin' ADVERTISING (and back-end spam), and advertising is on it's way out.

False: Google has several enterprise products, they sell storage to consumers, and make money off of Play apps.

The whole Spewgle scheme is one big NSA back-door lie.

You need to adjust your tin foil hat.

It's only a matter of time until the investment community catches on to the Gewgle lie.

Care to summarize the lie for clarification? 

p.s. try opting out of any Gewgle ads in your browser, and see how BLANK the website becomes!

Wait, you're telling me that when you block ads, fewer ads show up? Get. Out. You know, this might also be a demonstration of one of Google's continuing successes. Hmm.

• Reply 211 of 281
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I honest to goodness did not realize at first glance that the OP intended Spewgle to be Google. :no:

I've never understood how middle school taunting and efforts at made-up derogatory nicknames are supposed to make a poster sound more authoritative and intelligent.
  • Reply 212 of 281
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I honest to goodness did not realize at first glance that the OP intended Spewgle to be Google. :no:

I've never understood how middle school taunting and efforts at made-up derogatory nicknames are supposed to make a poster sound more authoritative and intelligent. Are there really that many teenagers on AI?

I've spoken up about that plenty of times in defense of all companies, include Samsung. It hurts any valid argument one might actually have.

What's even more weird about this guy is he says he retired at age 53. Not that maturity and age necessarily go hand in hand but I could have at least excused it (to a point) if it was someone in their teens.
  • Reply 213 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

What, you mean your 5s DOES have more than 4GB of RAM? 

• Reply 214 of 281
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    marubeni wrote: »
    Sour grapes? I have a 5s, 5, 4s, and 4 (I used to have a 3gs, don't know what happened to it). 5s is a nice phone, and TouchID is pleasant, but none of the applications either of us use either needs or uses 64 bit processing (I take it back, apparently Sing! Karaoke does). Read this piece on why 64 bit processors are (or will be)  useful for phones. Short version: to address more than 4GB. Which your 5s does not have.

I don't know how The Economist has become an authority on computer engineering. Maybe IEEE Spectrum will become a source of information on macro economics.

I suppose you'll insist that more registers, wider registers, and other ISA changes have nothing to do with anything.
  • Reply 215 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know how The Economist has become an authority on computer engineering. Maybe IEEE Spectrum will become a source of information on macro economics.

I suppose you'll insist that more registers, wider registers, and other ISA changes have nothing to do with anything.

Are you saying that newer hardware is faster than older hardware? I agree. Apple introducing 64bits is wise, since they are planning for the near future, but I would not describe this as particularly innovative, not to mention revolutionary

• Reply 216 of 281
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    marubeni wrote: »
    Are you saying that newer hardware is faster than older hardware? I agree. Apple introducing 64bits is wise, since they are planning for the near future, but I would not describe this as particularly innovative, not to mention revolutionary

You've previously suggested that 64 bit was pointless on the 5s, it's not, it does more than just extend memory addressing. That's my complaint on what you said. Now, it seems you're saying otherwise.

64 bit wasn't revolutionary when it hit personal computers either. That's not always the point in changing technologies. The point is to make improvements. Expecting revolutionary on every product iteration is wholly unrealistic.
  • Reply 217 of 281
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    crosslad wrote: »
    Google does not have unlimited growth. If the smartphone market has reached saturation point so has the number of smartphone users that Google can push their advertisements to. Plus the second largest phone market, China, will not let google in.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/02/the-2014-google-tracker-everything-we-know-google-is-working-on-this-year/
  • Reply 218 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You've previously suggested that 64 bit was pointless on the 5s, it's not, and that's part of my complaint on your commenting. Now, it seems you're saying otherwise.

64 bit wasn't revolutionary when it hit personal computers either. That's not always the point in changing technologies. The point is to make improvements. Expecting revolutionary on every product iteration is wholly unrealistic.

(a) I never said it was pointless, merely that it did not improve the user experience materially IN THE SHORT TERM. Find my original post if you don't believe me.

(b) This whole 64bit discussion was initiated by one hill60 who gave 64bit as an example of a revolutionary change.

So, we don't actually disagree.

• Reply 219 of 281

Strawmen should result in a three day ban.

Shut up and reply to what has been said ONLY or don’t bother posting at all.

• Reply 220 of 281
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

The amount of RAM is irrelevant, the first 64bit PC I built had 512MB of RAM which in 2003 was too expensive for average users, it didn't stop AMD from releasing the Athlon 64.

Efficiency and speed is the major benefit, reading more RAM is only one of the things 64 bit allows.

10fps in burst mode with the camera, the only limit being the amount of storage, an example of what 64 bit data throughput allows.