Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview

Comments

• Reply 261 of 281
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

I'd love to drive a car all through Europe!!!, i drove a bit in switzerland.

In Australia we drive on the left side of the road (Correct haha :P im kidding so don't freak out) same as Japan, UK, NZ, hopefully more places.

Mannnn i want to travel again.....Paris is nice, love the old buildings, Czech republic is on my list!, Prague looks amazing in pics.

• Reply 262 of 281
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I'd also like to see Big Ben. I've only ever seen this…

You want to see a bell?  Why, it's just a bell?  Far more interesting things to see if you're in the area.

• Reply 263 of 281
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I've seen the UK plenty but mainland Europe I'm still lacking. I'd like to have a few months backpacking around but that doesn't seem feasible anymore.

PS: I'd also like to see Big Ben. I've only ever seen this…

trick statement

It looks just the same in real life.
  • Reply 264 of 281
    crowley wrote: »
    You want to see a bell?  Why, it's just a bell?  Far more interesting things to see if you're in the area.

No-one sees the bell. They see the Clock Tower, recently renamed by MPs in a cynical effort to increase their popularity by associating more closely with the monarchy.
  • Reply 265 of 281
  • Reply 266 of 281
    aaronj wrote: »
    I know that story quite well.  And it's humorous, and in Einstein's case makes some sense, too.

But an individual's knowledge (or lack thereof) of his or her phone number has no effect on me.  Conversely, I REALLY don't want a potential 25% of those voting alongside me on election day to think the sun rotates around the Earth, to be voting for someone who says the Earth is 6,000 years old, or who calls embryology and evolution "lies from the Pit of Hell."  People who can't name the branches of government, or have no idea against whom we fought WWII, or think that the "End Days" are coming -- these aren't people I want voting in a democratic society.

Believe me when I tell you that reading threads here or on Ars or wherever often remind me of how ignorant I am, when it comes to technology.  But my lack of knowledge concerning the intricacies of file systems has no effect on anyone else.

And with home schooling always on the rise, and with the number of people who honestly believe that if someone runs a website and posts information on it that it must be true -- all of this gets sort of creepy and unsettling.

What's scary is that it's your line of thinking that led to Hitler and other tyrants exterminating hundreds of millions of people. A hatred of other people's beliefs leads to a suggestion of restricting voting rights; then a restriction of democracy, then a final solution. You are basing it on 'ignorance'; Hitler based it on whether you were a Jew.
  • Reply 267 of 281
    philboogie wrote: »
    Ah, just the pic. That is sad. Opportunity / time allowing, do come over and visit. So much to see. I would like to make a suggestion that not all Americans take to heart: take your time in Europe and do not try to see it all in one week. One will miss out on many details.

Backpacking is indeed not the best way to travel anymore. A car is really the best way, just make sure you know how to drive a 'shift stick'. (though automatic transmission has become widespread now, especially rentals)

I'd probably only take a backpack so I can do some unencumbered hiking but I'd definitely rent a car and stay in nice places. I'd probably even buy clothes at local shops in various cities just to leave them behind as I like to pack lite. I really wish I could do this again but

1)And a bridge is just a bridge, by that logic?

2) I want to see what I'm not allowed to see.

3) There is a lot of complex engineering that went into making a large bell during its day. It can be done wrong.

• Reply 268 of 281

I take it you've never been inside then? Really beautiful.
    zozman wrote: »
    I'd love to drive a car all through Europe!!!, i drove a bit in switzerland.

In Australia we drive on the left side of the road (Correct haha :P im kidding so don't freak out) same as Japan, UK, NZ, hopefully more places.

Mannnn i want to travel again.....Paris is nice, love the old buildings, Czech republic is on my list!, Prague looks amazing in pics.

Don't forget to rent something fast and take it for a spin on the transf?g?r??an road in Romania:

^ post

1) Point taken

2) I do that as well, seen the craziest things.

3) Clock design by Packard¿
  • Reply 269 of 281
    Don't forget to rent something fast and take it for a spin on the transf?g?r??an road in Romania:

I only know that road from Top Gear.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 270 of 281
    I only know that road from Top Gear

1) I love Top Gear. The humour is really, I don't know, probably easy for the producers to write but the way they present it, the laughs they have with themselves, all too funny. The pranks, and the sites they go to....

2) I love Vimeo. So many great video's on there, no lame comments like on You Tube. The best, bar none.

3) Didn't Top Gear also went to a special road in The States, similar to this one in Romania?
  • Reply 271 of 281
    1) I love Top Gear. The humour is really, I don't know, probably easy for the producers to write but the way they present it, the laughs they have with themselves, all too funny. The pranks, and the sites they go to....

2) I love Vimeo. So many great video's on there, no lame comments like on You Tube. The best, bar none.

3) Didn't Top Gear also went to a special road in The States, similar to this one in Romania?

Top Gear is my favourite show on either side of the pond. The UK version, not the others.

They've had several specials that took place in the US but I think this is the one you're thinking of.

The producers clearly stage a good deal of the show — to a point — but I think this interaction was completely unexpected and could have been dangerous had they stuck around…

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 272 of 281
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

What's scary is that it's your line of thinking that led to Hitler and other tyrants exterminating hundreds of millions of people. A hatred of other people's beliefs leads to a suggestion of restricting voting rights; then a restriction of democracy, then a final solution. You are basing it on 'ignorance'; Hitler based it on whether you were a Jew.

Yes.  Absolutely.  The fact that I'd like those determining the future of this country to, you know, maybe be aware of the Civil War makes me EXACTLY like Hitler. *roll*

I never said I hated what people believe -- at least not as far as what we were talking about.  I said that it scares me that possibly as many as a quarter of those voting with me on election day think the sun revolves around the Earth.  That doesn't bother you?  Why?

I also didn't say they shouldn't be able to vote.  As far as I'm concerned (no matter what various state governments are doing or trying to do) anyone who is registered, 18, and not a felon should be able to vote.  I don't have to LIKE it though.  I'd rather have an educated society which makes decisions based on rational ideas.

Is that ever going to happen?  No.  But that doesn't mean that it isn't what I'd like to see.

• Reply 273 of 281
    Yes.  Absolutely.  The fact that I'd like those determining the future of this country to, you know, maybe be aware of the Civil War makes me EXACTLY like Hitler. *roll*

I never said I hated what people believe -- at least not as far as what we were talking about.  I said that it scares me that possibly as many as a quarter of those voting with me on election day think the sun revolves around the Earth.  That doesn't bother you?  Why?

I also didn't say they shouldn't be able to vote.  

People who can't name the branches of government, or have no idea against whom we fought WWII, or think that the "End Days" are coming -- these aren't people I want voting in a democratic society.

As far as I'm concerned (no matter what various state governments are doing or trying to do) anyone who is registered, 18, and not a felon should be able to vote.  I don't have to LIKE it though.  I'd rather have an educated society which makes decisions based on rational ideas.

Is that ever going to happen?  No.  But that doesn't mean that it isn't what I'd like to see.

As quoted above, you explicitly say that you don't want certain people to be allowed to vote because of their beliefs. And yet, you then deny it! Evil is insidious and subtle and is based on lies. In the two posts of yours I have quoted, I reveal your explicit lie arising from your denial.
  • Reply 274 of 281
    Quote:

As quoted above, you explicitly say that you don't want certain people to be allowed to vote because of their beliefs. And yet, you then deny it! Evil is insidious and subtle and is based on lies. In the two posts of yours I have quoted, I reveal your explicit lie arising from your denial.

What I said was:

Quote:

But an individual's knowledge (or lack thereof) of his or her phone number has no effect on me.  Conversely, I REALLY don't want a potential 25% of those voting alongside me on election day to think the sun rotates around the Earth, to be voting for someone who says the Earth is 6,000 years old, or who calls embryology and evolution "lies from the Pit of Hell."  People who can't name the branches of government, or have no idea against whom we fought WWII, or think that the "End Days" are coming -- these aren't people I want voting in a democratic society.

If it were not clear, let me make it so.  I do not mean that someone who thinks the sun revolves around the Earth should not be able to vote.  What I mean is that those people who are voting, I would prefer that they know these things.

How can that not be the case for everyone?

• Reply 275 of 281
    What I said was:

If it were not clear, let me make it so.  I do not mean that someone who thinks the sun revolves around the Earth should not be able to vote.  What I mean is that those people who are voting, I would prefer that they know these things.

How can that not be the case for everyone?

That is quite different to what you initially said; another statement of denial.
  • Reply 276 of 281
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

What people say in outbursts and moments of frustration often isn't what they think when calm and collected.  I'm sure we've all done it, no need for these needles and accusations of latent evil.

• Reply 277 of 281
    Quote:

That is quite different to what you initially said; another statement of denial.

Oh, STFU.  It is NOT.  And since you are continually calling me a liar, and intentionally not understanding what I said or am saying, I'm done with you.

Have a nice life.

• Reply 278 of 281
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    I take it you've never been inside then? Really beautiful.

Wow, looks amazing!!!, kinda scary & epic, driving there would be O_o
    I'll stop 1000 times to take photos.

Top Gear is my favourite show on either side of the pond. The UK version, not the others.

Haha, just about to watch the new episode, I've been to the live show that they toured as well, everyone but captain slow was there (May).
  • Reply 279 of 281
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    zozman wrote: »
    Haha, just about to watch the new episode, I've been to the live show that they toured as well, everyone but captain slow was there (May).

It's a good episode.
  • Reply 280 of 281
    Woz is a great geek, but he was never a businessman. He could be the king of the nerds, but without Steve Jobs doing the business thang there would be no Apple. Every time Woz makes noise about the business of Apple he generates a lot of buzz, but his opinions on modern neurosurgery and animal husbandry are probably just as valuable.