Rumors: Apple prepping bezel-free design, Sony FaceTime camera for 'iPhone 6'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

It will never happen. Why would Apple want to make something that adds zero benefit to the phone, but creates a lot more works to implement the design such as: antenna, sensor, screen bleeding on the sides..? I can see Apple will stay with metal frame, but thinner bezel instead. Remember that Apple would focus more on feature, functionality and user experience, not these nonsense things just for the look.

Bottom line: Home button will stay together with the current design/shape. There's no need to change something that works so well. Maybe, Apple will change the materials from aluminum to liquid metal, Gorilla glass to sapphire or increase screen from 4" to 4.5"/4.8". 

• Reply 42 of 104
    clemynx wrote: »
    You are imagining too much. This is just a rumor. The next iPhone won't have a flexible screen for sure.
    Horrible, horrible idea. The centered round home button is one of the reasons of the success of the iPhone. It's essential.

The home button WAS essential, when no one was acquainted with touch screen devices. I don't think it is any longer.

I swear, Apple fans must be the same people that are keeping us from going to metric. The old way is not BETTER unless it is actually BETTER.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    OMG Apple is falling behind in the bezel race!!! I'm switching to android because what's more important than bezels? /s
  • Reply 44 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

That home button is there to stay. The iPhone will probably just keep a chin, like the iMac. It gives it a unique look.

Chin and a forehead. The camera has to go somewhere and is best positioned away from the home button and mic.

• Reply 45 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

OMG Apple is falling behind in the bezel race!!! I'm switching to android because what's more important than bezels? /s

Sigh ...

• Reply 46 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

It will never happen. Why would Apple want to make something that adds zero benefit to the phone, but creates a lot more works to implement the design such as: antenna, sensor, screen bleeding on the sides..? I can see Apple will stay with metal frame, but thinner bezel instead. Remember that Apple would focus more on feature, functionality and user experience, not these nonsense things just for the look.

Bottom line: Home button will stay together with the current design/shape. There's no need to change something that works so well. Maybe, Apple will change the materials from aluminum to liquid metal, Gorilla glass to sapphire or increase screen from 4" to 4.5"/4.8". 

It's not a matter of just *the look*. Apple, particularly Ive, believes that the screen should not be cluttered by anything else unnecessary. They believe that an unobstructed display provides the best user experience. So I can see them doing this.

Lest we forget, their obsession with making the iPhone thinner and thinner would seem functionally unimportant to everyone else. But to them, it improves the user experience. 

• Reply 47 of 104
    My mockup
    I think they won%u2019t reduce the size of the finger print sensor, they will move away from the round side buttons for the volume, it will adopt the speaker holes of the 5c, They%u2019re not gonna go with a cliche like a curved screen. NFC and wireless charging might be implemented

128 gb max, 32 min memory. 1.5 ghz i8 and a coprocessor
    10 mp camera with higher frame rate for slo-mo
    Sapphire used for back %u201Cwindows%u201D and front glass

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=460209&d=1391959869
  • Reply 48 of 104
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

With Tim Cook's record, it is very likely we wont see large 5" screen with iPhone 6 either. Since he said it would make sense only when the technology is ready. Clearly he thinks we are not there yet.

As with all my previous post, 5" screen would equals to the width of the Original iPhone. To market that as a possible one hand devices with 5" screen means that there should be zero bezel.

Even though Apple surprised us or literally anybody in the industry including ARM themselves with 64bit A7 SoC. I dont think similar could happen into zero bezel design. And the problem is simply because they need Sapphire Screen. With Gloria Screen, its weakness are around the edge, once you get a tiny fracture there it will break easily. To get to a Zero Bezel design would means using Sapphire instead. However its production as well as capacity is up with the volume Apple requires. Apple are likely use it first with iWatch / wearable first and build up the volume.

As rumors or AI have said, to literally get rid of the Home Button, and TouchID would require what Apple is trying to do, integrating the sensor right within the Display it selves. However even that isn't ready yet. It is one of the reason Apple is reseaching different display technology from Quantum Dot, new IPS, OLED etc. And with apple pass record they are highly likely to reuse the current touch ID design and iterate for the next two iPhone.   

For Touch ID to be integrated with the display itself, they will need to up the current PPI to near the current Touch ID which is doing at 500 PPI.

Just some food for thoughts.

• Reply 49 of 104
    My mockup
    I think they won%u2019t reduce the size of the finger print sensor, they will move away from the round side buttons for the volume, it will adopt the speaker holes of the 5c, They%u2019re not gonna go with a cliche like a curved screen. NFC and wireless charging might be implemented

Sapphire used for back %u201Cwindows%u201D and front glass

• Reply 50 of 104
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/38322/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

My mockup
    I think they won’t reduce the size of the finger print sensor, they will move away from the round side buttons for the volume, it will adopt the speaker holes of the 5c, They’re not gonna go with a cliche like a curved screen. NFC and wireless charging might be implemented

Sapphire used for back “windows” and front glass

• Reply 51 of 104

If the iPhone loses the entire front bezel then I guess the fingerprint scanner will be at the back - swipe behind to scan...

And Sony does not have to worry about a front camera for the iPhone. It'll be back to where it all began, the first iPhone...

• Reply 52 of 104
    Sigh ...

Sigh indeed. Look at all those specs, like they mean a goddamned thing.
  • Reply 53 of 104
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Sigh indeed. Look at all those specs, like they mean a goddamned thing.

I think he was sighing at your 12 year old form of argument.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    Well, the iPhone 6 event will say a lot about the current Apple. It's pretty simple actually. If they release another iPhone line with a bigger screen, both premium lines combined will sell much more, net profit and revenues will be up, Android OEMs (Samsung included) will see their share of the high end vanish.

If they don't release another iPhone line with a bigger screen, it's proof that they do not understand modern and future paradigms of how people are using their phones (videos, Web, apps, games, reading... All better with a bigger screen), just like BlackBerry and the keyboard. Their valuation might go up for a few years (like blackberry) but their importance will go down and sooner or later it will spread (like blackberry).

Of course apple will still be a kickass company but in the same league as Microsoft, milking the present. And that would be sad.

For those complaining about the usual irrelevant one handed operation that people only care 1 per cent of the time, there should be a 4" (more or less, slightly more as the current size is almost unusable) premium iPhone line. So who loses? No one. Who wins? Everyone. Who complains? The usual Trolls, the same kind of people that defended BlackBerry and Microsoft. Irrational apologists that have no idea of what is happening outside their souls.
  • Reply 55 of 104
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm pretty sure that if Apple has plans to do a larger iPhone, they'll know exactly how to do it.

Oh good, there it is. We almost closed out a thread on AI without any cloying, sycophantic treacle. Thanks, person who even uses an Apple product name as a descriptor of your very identity.

• Reply 56 of 104
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Reed View Post

My mockup

I think they won’t reduce the size of the finger print sensor, they will move away from the round side buttons for the volume, it will adopt the speaker holes of the 5c, They’re not gonna go with a cliche like a curved screen. NFC and wireless charging might be implemented

Sapphire used for back “windows” and front glass

NFC is certainly NOT going to be added, EVER. It's totally redundant or less functional than Bluetooth LE.

The camera will probably gain a resolution bump.

• Reply 57 of 104
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

The centered round home button is one of the reasons of the success of the iPhone. It's essential.

You have no imagination. It's a giant, space-hogging one-trick pony that wears out twice as fast as every other component. There's no reason that its very, very basic operation couldn't be handled in a MUCH more elegant way.

• Reply 58 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

The home button WAS essential, when no one was acquainted with touch screen devices. I don't think it is any longer.

I swear, Apple fans must be the same people that are keeping us from going to metric. The old way is not BETTER unless it is actually BETTER.

You are attacking people for being Apple fans on an Apple fan forum... makes no sense.

I'm actually french.

The home button is more essential than ever with the embedded touch-id. It's not good because it's old, but because it works. And it's not so old anyway with the touch sensor under it. People are getting acquainted with touch devices, but that tactile feeling is going to help people enter that touchscreen world for a long long time. The home button is an invitation to press it. With it, people are sure that whatever they do, if they press it they return to the home screen.

• Reply 59 of 104
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Looks awfully similar to a certain phone on the market.The design clearly shows similar Korean inspirations. Apple won't shit junk like that
  • Reply 60 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

You have no imagination. It's a giant, space-hogging one-trick pony that wears out twice as fast as every other component. There's no reason that its very, very basic operation couldn't be handled in a MUCH more elegant way.

I don't know what's more elegant than a button that does one thing only when you press it once.

It's not me who lacks imagination, it's you who don't understand what's the point of the home button.

I've seen kids automatically look for that button whenever you give them a phone.

I can take my phone from my pocket and have it unlocked via touch-id by the time it's in front of my eyes.

I can quickly find the button in the dark.

I'm 'reassured' that whatever happens the button will always be there (for me lol) and that if the software fails, I can count on it to function - might not be true but that's what I think a lot of people think.

Now that iOS7 has ditched metaphors to the real world, the button is one of the last things to keep the phone attached to this reality. It's a link between the digital and the real world. I might be taking this too far, but I think that it's indeed that case.