Rumors: Apple prepping bezel-free design, Sony FaceTime camera for 'iPhone 6'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

If the iPhone loses the entire front bezel then I guess the fingerprint scanner will be at the back - swipe behind to scan...

And Sony does not have to worry about a front camera for the iPhone. It'll be back to where it all began, the first iPhone...

Apple will not move the scanner to the back. The front camera will stay where it is. Anyone with some sense of engineering and design would understand this.

• Reply 62 of 104
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

You are attacking people for being Apple fans on an Apple fan forum

Who says it's a "fan" forum? I can't find anything anywhere on the site that suggests that is so.

Many of us are not "fans," we're "users" and frankly find the kind of knee-jerk blind loyalty so often expressed here annoying and counter-productive.

If any other company handled software the way Apple has in the last two years, you lot would call for crucifixions! But Apple get s a free ride no matter what they do. If more of you would adopt even a half-way objective view towards Apple you would hold their feet to the fire and demand better. Crappy is okay when it goes with "quick and cheap" but when the supposedly premium brand can't manage their own software anymore, it's time to ask what the hell that long coin is paying for anyway? Tell Apple you're gonna hold off on your next purchase until you see how they handle things like Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Maps figuring out where and when your appointment is without sending you to Timbuktu. Jeez, even lowly old MS Office can handle stuff like that in its SLEEP!

• Reply 63 of 104
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Who says it's a "fan" forum? I can't find anything anywhere on the site that suggests that is so.

Many of us are not "fans," we're "users" and frankly find the kind of knee-jerk blind loyalty so often expressed here annoying and counter-productive.

If more of you would adopt even a half-way objective view towards Apple you would hold their feet to the fire and demand better. Crappy is okay when it goes with "quick and cheap" but when the supposedly premium brand can't manage their own software anymore, it's time to ask what the hell that long coin is paying for anyway?

I agree that some people, some that even arrived on AI after me for example, are really annoying. But there are also many users that were here long before me that make interesting comments.

But saying that this isn't a fan forum is pushing it. Saying that people are fans as an argument as he did is not right.

Quote:

If any other company handled software the way Apple has in the last two years, you lot would call for crucifixions! But Apple get s a free ride no matter what they do.

Are you serious? It doesn't seem we live in the same world or use the same internet. People have been constantly criticizing iOS 7 since the beginning. What are you referring exactly? Final Cut and iWork apps? Because there were problems in the way they handled it, but things have gotten a lot better in FC and are improving on iWork. And how long has the new, FREE, iWork suite been out? Only 6 months. It's not like people were left with an unusable version for years.

Quote:

Put down the Kool-Aid [...] Maps figuring out where and when your appointment is without sending you to Timbuktu [...] MS Office can handle stuff like that in its SLEEP!

... seriously? Put down whatever you are taking, and chill. You've run out of stereotypes for the next century. Too much hyperbole kills your point.

Numbers has problems. Maps is getting a lot better. iOS is a lot better than iOS 6 and getting better. There are problem in all Apple products like with any company. It's just that they are certainly not so grave that we need to stone anyone for that. And it wouldn't solve them anyway.

• Reply 64 of 104
    Quote:

Oh good, there it is. We almost closed out a thread on AI without any cloying, sycophantic treacle. Thanks, person who even uses an Apple product name as a descriptor of your very identity.

Credit where it's due. This is APPLE. They seem to (consistently) understand design. 

My level-headed admonishment vs. all the "Apple should do X or their mobile strategy will collapse" posts in this thread.

Choose the one that consistently makes the most sense from *both* a market share perspective *and* a profit perspective. Note that the current Apple designed phones (such bezels!) sold to the tune of 51 million in the quarter just passed, which is a new record for Apple. Seems everyone else can learn from Apple's designs, n'est-ce pas?  Or am I missing out on some new (or the usual) imaginary fear or worry?

Cheers to Reality. 

• Reply 65 of 104
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I think he was sighing at your 12 year old form of argument.

Maybe call out the idiots that actually use it, then, instead of those of us who make fun of them for it.

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

The home button WAS essential, when no one was acquainted with touch screen devices. I don't think it is any longer.

Enjoy your unusable brick when an app seizes up and there’s nothing you can do about it because you thought that getting rid of the hardware ‘out’ was a good idea. I’m sure that battery will die sometime in the next few days.

I swear, Apple fans must be the same people that are keeping us from going to metric.

Good. Screw the metric system for daily measurements.

The old way is not BETTER unless it is actually BETTER. 

And metric isn’t.

Who says it's a "fan" forum?

The URL of the website.

Fan ? blind loyalty.

If any other company handled software the way Apple has in the last two years, you lot would call for crucifixions!

Nope. Try again.

• Reply 66 of 104
    clemynx wrote: »
    You are attacking people for being Apple fans on an Apple fan forum... makes no sense.
    I'm actually french.

The home button is more essential than ever with the embedded touch-id. It's not good because it's old, but because it works. And it's not so old anyway with the touch sensor under it. People are getting acquainted with touch devices, but that tactile feeling is going to help people enter that touchscreen world for a long long time. The home button is an invitation to press it. With it, people are sure that whatever they do, if they press it they return to the home screen.

I couldn't have said it better myself. On the iPad, I rarely use the home button, as I prefer using gestures, but you hit the nail on the head when you referred to the home button as salvation. Whatever you do, if in doubt, press the Home button! There will always be young and old people who appreciate the reassurance.
  • Reply 67 of 104
    clemynx wrote: »
    You are attacking people for being Apple fans on an Apple fan forum... makes no sense.
    I'm actually french.

The home button is more essential than ever with the embedded touch-id. It's not good because it's old, but because it works. And it's not so old anyway with the touch sensor under it. People are getting acquainted with touch devices, but that tactile feeling is going to help people enter that touchscreen world for a long long time. The home button is an invitation to press it. With it, people are sure that whatever they do, if they press it they return to the home screen.

If they manage to put touch-id under the glass, your points are moot. I'll grant you that 2 year old children may find it daunting to use a device that lacks a physical home button, but excluding them I don't believe it is too great an evolutionary jump. Android devices have managed to do without it, with arguably a less obvious design language. To dedicate so much of the area on the front of the device to what is for the most part a superfluous hardware fetishism doesn't make any sense.

I've had iPhones since 2007, but if the new iphone doesn't have a larger screen I'm going to start looking elsewhere. Ideally they would make the greatest use of the dimensions and minimize the bezels so that it isn't significantly larger, but a round home button is going to be a liability with respect to that. If they simply make the device bigger I probably won't jump ship, but it seems senseless to dedicate so much of the device to so little functionality.

And long ago I opted to make a distinction between Apple users and Apple fans. It seems fans (of anything) are inclined to look at things from a very skewed perspective. I only use Apple products, but I've sworn no oath. ;)
  • Reply 68 of 104
    Well, the iPhone 6 event will say a lot about the current Apple. It's pretty simple actually. If they release another iPhone line with a bigger screen, both premium lines combined will sell much more, net profit and revenues will be up, Android OEMs (Samsung included) will see their share of the high end vanish.

If they don't release another iPhone line with a bigger screen, it's proof that they do not understand modern and future paradigms of how people are using their phones (videos, Web, apps, games, reading... All better with a bigger screen), just like BlackBerry and the keyboard. Their valuation might go up for a few years (like blackberry) but their importance will go down and sooner or later it will spread (like blackberry).

Of course apple will still be a kickass company but in the same league as Microsoft, milking the present. And that would be sad.

For those complaining about the usual irrelevant one handed operation that people only care 1 per cent of the time, there should be a 4" (more or less, slightly more as the current size is almost unusable) premium iPhone line. So who loses? No one. Who wins? Everyone. Who complains? The usual Trolls, the same kind of people that defended BlackBerry and Microsoft. Irrational apologists that have no idea of what is happening outside their souls.

This is pure, 100%, no-money-back, spun-glass Bullsh?t. A very small minority of Android phones are in these ridiculous large sizes, and a majority of them are sold in South Korea. The only people who are bellyaching about the size of the iPhone are the usual Fandroid trolls who seem to be unaware that the only reason such huge screens are on offer is to hide the enormously larger batteries needed by their inefficient, power-sucking OS.
  • Reply 69 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

This is pure, 100%, no-money-back, spun-glass Bullsh?t. A very small minority of Android phones are in these ridiculous large sizes, and a majority of them are sold in South Korea. The only people who are bellyaching about the size of the iPhone are the usual Fandroid trolls who seem to be unaware that the only reason such huge screens are on offer is to hide the enormously larger batteries needed by their inefficient, power-sucking OS.

Or the screens are actually quite nice, and battery life is just fine TYVM. All Android flagships are of this large size, and they are for a reason.

• Reply 70 of 104

Or the screens are actually quite nice, and battery life is just fine TYVM. All Android flagships are of this large size, and they are for a reason.

The reason is the need for humungous batteries. These Android "flagships" are a very small portion of the market, a segment heavily populated by people who would never buy an Apple product in a million years. Apple would be stupid to pursue a vanishingly small sliver of a minority at the expense of making their own phone into a too-small tablet. The iPad mini is their answer to that use case, and it seems to be doing quite well.
  • Reply 71 of 104
    Quote:

The reason is the need for humungous batteries. These Android "flagships" are a very small portion of the market, a segment heavily populated by people who would never buy an Apple product in a million years. Apple would be stupid to pursue a vanishingly small sliver of a minority at the expense of making their own phone into a too-small tablet. The iPad mini is their answer to that use case, and it seems to be doing quite well.

None of this is realistic, the batteries are not that huge and the improved screen size and resolution is the main driving factor for me. I don't see any citations nor any reason to believe you're correct. I assume you've simply never used one of these phones  as it is really very nice. They could easily have made the phone a tiny amount thicker and kept the same battery size and it was the display that sold me.

I honestly don't understand your point of view.

• Reply 72 of 104

People forget so easily that unusably large-screened phones only exist because Android manufacturers were too pathetically stupid to miniaturize their technology or build hardware that didn’t require a leviathan battery to be usable for more than four hours at a time.

Large-screened phones are the product of laziness and compromise.

Why anyone would want Apple to do one is beyond me.

• Reply 73 of 104
    I honestly don't understand your point of view.

My point of view is the same as the hundreds of millions of people who buy iPhones and the hundreds of millions of people who buy normal-sized Android phones. The tens of millions of people who buy these ridiculous tombstone phones are a sliver of the market who are not worth pursuing because most of them are Apple-haters anyway.

Most Android users bought their phones to save money. The tiny minority who buy these premium-priced phablet phones have to be ideologically motivated to put up with the miserable user experience of Android. The motivation for large screens in the need for large batteries and the small market share of these huge-screened monstrosities has been discussed to death on here—with citations.
  • Reply 74 of 104
    Quote:

My point of view is the same as the hundreds of millions of people who buy iPhones and the hundreds of millions of people who buy normal-sized Android phones. The tens of millions of people who buy these ridiculous tombstone phones are a sliver of the market who are not worth pursuing because most of them are Apple-haters anyway.

Most Android users bought their phones to save money. The tiny minority who buy these premium-priced phablet phones have to be ideologically motivated to put up with the miserable user experience of Android. The motivation for large screens in the need for large batteries and the small market share of these huge-screened monstrosities has been discussed to death on here—with citations.

Talk about an ideology. None of this is remotely accurate. "Huge-screened monstrosities" and "miserable user experience".

You're just making things up. I don't see a single cite and as a user of a Nexus 5 I can tell you that the user experience is fantastic. Why not just state you don't particularly like larger screens? Why does it have to become some international conspiracy to hide batteries that could just be made 2mm thicker with nobody noticing or caring. Phones are already getting too slim!

FWIW, the 'other people have cited somewhere' excuse is not really a good justification.

• Reply 75 of 104

Talk about an ideology. None of this is remotely accurate. "Huge-screened monstrosities" and "miserable user experience".

You're just making things up. I don't see a single cite and as a user of a Nexus 5 I can tell you that the user experience is fantastic. Why not just state you don't particularly like larger screens? Why does it have to become some international conspiracy to hide batteries that could just be made 2mm thicker with nobody noticing or caring. Phones are already getting too slim!

FWIW, the 'other people have cited somewhere' excuse is not really a good justification.

Hey, if you can tolerate Android, more power to you. I can't be arsed looking up sh?t for you. Believe me, it's been done to death on this forum.
  • Reply 76 of 104
    Quote:

There was an article on AI not long ago by none other than DED that stated that Samsung's flagship S4 and Note series equaled 2/3 of the volume of the iPhone.  I don't think it's possible that all of LG's, Sony's, HTC's, and Motorola's flagships' combined sales don't equal the remaining third of iPhone sales, and all of those flagships have the large screens you dislike so much.  But let's say you don't think the sales of flagships will quite equal the iPhone's, so let's add in the mid range Android phones from those manufacturers.  The mid range models generally have 4.5" screens but some have 4.3" and some have up to 6.3" displays.  Regardless, all of them have much larger screens than the iPhone, and their combined sales are expected to be much greater than the total sales of Android flagships by users of these forums.  That means that all of the flagship and mid range Android phones must far outsell the iPhone, and all of them have larger displays.

People aren't buying the iPhone in droves because of its small screen.  They're buying it because it runs iOS.  When the larger iPhones come out, the 4" model will undersell the larger models by a massive margin.

• Reply 77 of 104
    Quote:

Hey, if you can tolerate Android, more power to you. I can't be arsed looking up sh?t for you. Believe me, it's been done to death on this forum.

I grabbed my phone out of my pocket, barely used it for a day, played a little stickman golf.

Really it is very acceptable even if that is light use. Obviously the heavier you use it, the shorter it gets, down to about 4-5 hours of screen-on time. This really isn't as big a concern as you make out considering it's a massive 8.6mm thick. The battery is only about 150% of that of an iPhone and so if you tear the phone apart you can see the battery size really isn't that dominating:

The main dominating size feature? The big screen, which is pretty much why I bought this device above competitors. (The £250+ cheaper price tag also didn't hurt!)

• Reply 78 of 104

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Who says it's a "fan" forum?

The URL of the website, but given every single one of your posts, I’m not surprised that this tidbit has escaped you.

Aw Honey, is that old blow to the head coming back to haunt you again? It's okay Dear, I know you're trying, but "Insider" does not mean the same thing as "fan." Maybe we should look into adjusting your dosage so that painfully obvious points like that don't keep slipping through, hm?

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fan ? blind loyalty.

Well "fan" sure as hell doesn't equal "objective," now does it? It's the very definition of biased.

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up.

No, how about YOU shut up for a change? That crap that's dripping out of your nozzle today is even more ridiculous than usual. Go watch Olympics or play with your key something. Whatever keeps you away from here.

• Reply 79 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Large-screened phones are the product of laziness and compromise.

Even if it were true, it DOESN"T MATTER!!! People LIKE the big screens! They BUY them! No one CARES what you think! Others recognize the benefit even if you can't and choose their device based on that.

Besides, what the hell do YOU care? It's not like you're going to buy a new phone in this decade anyway. Why don't you leave the lobbying to those who actually have an interest in the outcome?

• Reply 80 of 104

Even if it were true, it DOESN"T MATTER!!! 

I’m certain that laziness and compromise don’t matter to the company known explicitly for not being lazy or compromising. 

People LIKE the big screens!

People are idiots. The nice way of saying that is “People don’t know what they want until you show it to them.”

They BUY them!

They don’t use them, though. So… huh, maybe you’re wrong, then.

No one CARES what you think!

Nor you, as you’re no more a person than I. Get over yourself.

Besides, what the hell do YOU care?

Guess when you never had an argument, all you have is others’.