Highly suspect photos claim to show 'iPhone 6' chassis [u x2]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136
    flaneur wrote: »
    Where does everybody get this idea of unicorn hide liquid metal being transparent to radio waves? If it's metal, it's not. By definition. Being amorphous instead of polycrystalline wouldn't change that; it would probably make it an even better RF shield because the free electrons could wander through the entire piece instead of just one tiny crystal domain.

From the inventor of Liquid Metal himself, that's where:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/on-rumors-metal-iphone-backs-and-radio-transparency/

He talks about using the case as an antenna, which means it's a conductor. Which means it's not RF-transparent. Again—by definition.

Modern antenna design is a very sophisticated science. I doubt if any random slab of metal is going to be ideal. That means the case would have to be divided up into the antenna part and its surroundings by non-conductive strips, like a printed circuit board. I see no sign of that here.
  • Reply 62 of 136
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jakeb wrote: »
    Aside from asymmetrical bezels what makes it look like a Galaxy, or missing key Appleness? It's basically a larger iPod touch or a smaller iPad. Btw, I think the gold phone is fake; I don't think Apple will release a new phone with asymmetrical bezels.
  • Reply 63 of 136
    ismael wrote: »
    An iPod touch don't need antennas, since it's a wifi only device.

An iPod Touch most certainly needs antennas...

• Reply 64 of 136
    asdasd wrote: »
    Looks pretty convincing and pretty good stuff. For those of us who like the bigger phones. Hopeful they will continue to offer a 5S size with same internals for the one handed fanatics.
    I think that the +3.5 inch screen is the best size.
  • Reply 65 of 136
    If these pics are real, Apple legal will have them removed.
  • Reply 66 of 136
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

It looks legitimate to me, at least for a design model. Especially after seeing it's dimensions overlaid with an iPhone 5S:

Some points:

Sunny Dickson has a recent track record

Component quality, fit and finish is similar to other Apple device leaks

The design improves significantly on the current model without introducing many tradeoffs (except for a small increase in height).

Maintaining the same width as the iPhone 5S avoids the main drawback of larger-screened phones.

Addressing screen size gives them another reason to revisiting pixel density. 1080p (FULL HD) or higher is a big marketing point. Only slightly higher and you're at 1280-by-2272 which would allow seamless support for legacy software similar to the transition from iPhone 4 > 4S.

Display allows exactly enough room for an additional (7th) row of application icons.

• Reply 67 of 136
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

More evidence these might be fake.

You do see it is in a plastic wrapper, right?

• Reply 68 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

An iPod Touch most certainly needs antennas...

I cannot believe someone actually proclaimed a device does not need a radio antennae because they are only wifi enabled.

• Reply 69 of 136

For those with zero Material Science Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering backgrounds stop proclaiming amorphous metals cannot be RF enabled.

https://www.cst.com/Content/Articles/article232/Ylonen_Amorphous_metal_Extended_abstract.pdf

Just read.

MEMS will become the defacto for Radio designs.

Amorphous SiC as a structural layer in microbridge-based RF MEMS switches for use in software-defined radio

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0038110108001925

• Reply 70 of 136
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Look at the red circles. Identical bubbles on both devices. Seems a bit odd doesn't it?
  • Reply 71 of 136
  • Reply 72 of 136
    For those with zero Material Science Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering backgrounds stop proclaiming amorphous metals cannot be RF enabled.

https://www.cst.com/Content/Articles/article232/Ylonen_Amorphous_metal_Extended_abstract.pdf

Just read.

MEMS will become the defacto for Radio designs.

<h1> as a structural layer in microbridge-based RF MEMS switches for use in software-defined radio</h1>

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0038110108001925

"Amorphous SiC"

Silicon Carbide is not a metal, it's a ceramic. An amorphous ceramic, an insulator, would be transparent to RF. A metal, with free electrons moving through its bulk, cannot be.
  • Reply 73 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

One of the pictures, from 9to5 Mac.

This looks more like a Samsung Galaxy phone.

EDIT: Pipped by Rogifan and Jakeb.

• Reply 74 of 136
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Look at the red circles. Identical bubbles on both devices. Seems a bit odd doesn't it?

Okay. Got it now.

• Reply 75 of 136
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

fake_iphone6.gif

By all appearances the display on the gold model has definitely been faked. If you look below The edge of the display and the (parallel) edge of the phone don't have the same vanishing point. The headphone jack also looks weird.

• Reply 76 of 136
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Sorry, I missed why it's highly suspect. Sonny posts real stuff, look at his iPad Mini leaks.
  • Reply 77 of 136
    Quote:

fake_iphone6.gif

And even more telling is the fact that phone with the screen side up isn't even in a plastic bag... so where are the bubbles coming from?  LOL!  

• Reply 78 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Sorry, I missed why it's highly suspect. Sonny posts real stuff, look at his iPad Mini leaks.

He's pointing out that the bubbles on the front and back are almost identical.  Not to mention the fact that there is no plastic bag on the phone that is face up... so where are the bubbles coming from?  LOL!

• Reply 79 of 136
    starxd wrote: »
    And even more telling is the fact that phone with the screen side up isn't even in a plastic bag... so where are the bubbles coming from?  LOL!  
    That gold phone is so fake. What screen looks liked that? Plus it's too similar to concept renderings. I will be very surprised if Apple releases the phone with asymmetrical bezels.
  • Reply 80 of 136
    Quote:

Aside from asymmetrical bezels what makes it look like a Galaxy, or missing key Appleness? It's basically a larger iPod touch or a smaller iPad. Btw, I think the gold phone is fake; I don't think Apple will release a new phone with asymmetrical bezels.

The overall appearance of this render is very Galaxy-esque because of the curvature of the corners (it's a more broad curve like on Samsungs) and the roundness of the back cover at the edges, which is strongly reminiscent of the S3 and S4.  I don't think it'll turn out looking like these.  The day Apple uses a clearly asymmetric design on the front is the day it snows in Hell.