Apple secretly met with Tesla CEO Elon Musk; also working on tech to predict heart attacks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    Incidentally, AI... "Cronical"? Is anyone there familiar with (A) Apple products with built-in spellcheck, or (B) English?
  • Reply 22 of 151

Yes, but compatible with Chrome, Android apps, and soon to have an Android emulator: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/tesla-model-s-to-get-app-support-and-chrome/

I can assure you, there is no App Store and no support for chrome.
  • Reply 23 of 151
    Tesla is going mainstream soon. The price of the vehicle made for the masses will be in the $30,000 range. If the government keeps their tax credit, this vehicle will be affordable for 25-30% of the American families - maybe more.

If Tesla can keep the range in this vehicle above 100 miles, they will be selling them like hotcakes. I live in a town where Nissan Leaf is extremely popular - not sure why. I work from home, but every time I go for a short drive, I see 4 to 6 of t them within a 10 minute drive. Sometimes, they follow one another. So, the percentage of them is pretty high already, and they don't even go for longer than 80 miles.

This is the future, and the future is coming within a year or two.
  • Reply 24 of 151

I'm waiting with bated breath for the announcement tomorrow by Sammy that they're going to sell a new all-electric car, requiring only 32,000 AAA-size batteries.  (You can optionally use NiCd rechargeables!).  

Of course, delivery of the auto is yet-unscheduled, pending the design specs to be "borrowed" from Apple. 

/s.

ps: I note that TSLA has a market cap of only $42.3B.  Didn't Tim Cook recently say something about being willing to pay ten-figures to acquire the right company?  A 20% stake in Tesla Motors would likely be controlling interest, and would be within ten figures, so long as the first figure is an 8 or 9.  :)

• Reply 25 of 151
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Wow!
    My best two companies in the world. I hope they forge some sort of cooperation.
  • Reply 26 of 151
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    ireland wrote: »
    Btw, heart disease, strokes and aneurysms may be caused by a lack of vitamin C.

Oh no, they're meeting with the wrong company. They should be talking with http://www.orange.com not http://www.apple.com.

I like how the profile referenced asked 'what's in it for Tesla' for Apple to buy them. As per Tesla's latest annual filing (next one is in March):

"We have a history of losses and have to deliver significant cost reductions to achieve profitability in 2013 and long-term commercial success.

We incurred a net loss of $396.2 million for the year ended December 31, 2012. In addition, we have accumulated net losses of $1,065.6 million from our inception through December 31, 2012. We have had net losses in each quarter since our inception. Even if we are able to successfully maintain our current Model S production levels, there can be no assurance that it will be commercially successful.

In order to achieve profitability in 2013 as well as long-term commercial success, we must continue to achieve our planned cost reductions and control our operational costs while producing quality Model S vehicles at volume, maintain our Model S delivery rates to match our current and anticipated Model S production capacity, maintain strong demand for Model S, and achieve our planned cost reductions and control our operational costs. Failure to do one or more of these things could prevent us from reaching profitability."

No profit and a $24b market cap ( http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/89facf2a-3cec-11e3-a8c4-00144feab7de.html ). They reported a profit in a recent quarter but only under certain accounting rules:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/11/tesla-q3-2013/

The answer the profile gave for Tesla's benefit is that Apple has deep pockets to support the company. A $1b loss in Tesla's lifetime is not a big deal to Apple. But, could Apple's involvement turn it into a profitable company?

The key element of the Tesla is the power source. Once you have that figured out, it's a done deal - same with airline travel or other transport. Nobody has figured out how to generate enough electricity in a portable way using renewable energy so they have to build an infrastructure to efficiently and conveniently transfer energy. This means building charging stations and getting users to adopt the new procedures.

For electric cars to really take off, they need to overcome this hurdle. This means either figuring out how to build a portable generator or building a battery with a high enough energy density that you can carry it in your hand. That's not something you can rely on any brand name to come up with because of their history, it happens when it happens.
  • Reply 27 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Wow!

My best two companies in the world. I hope they forge some sort of cooperation.

And of course the auto they jointly market will be named the "Juice".  Not only as a colloquialism for electricity, but also as a sweet product of Apple that people can drink up!

• Reply 28 of 151
    emesemes Posts: 239member

Ironically, both Teslas and Apple products are infamous for catching fire XD

• Reply 29 of 151
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    There were at least three Teslas parked in the employee area of Apple's smallish parking lot in front of 1 Infinite Loop last summer. I am sure there must have been many more.

Despite its Android-based UI, there are clearly some Apple employees -- I am guessing senior management, since those seemed like prime parking slots -- that like the car.

Prime parking slots in Apple are for those who come earlier. V
  • Reply 30 of 151
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

And of course the auto they jointly market will be named the "Juice".  Not only as a colloquialism for electricity, but also as a sweet product of Apple that people can drink up!

I don't think so. Thanks to "Mr. Simpson" that nickname will always give "a negative return".    :devil: 

• Reply 31 of 151
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Jean-Luc, you misspelt your username. There's one 'e' in Earl.
  • Reply 32 of 151
    srice wrote: »
    Yeah, here we go - a very L Ellison sounding quote -- Musk believes in the founder theory and Apple is done without Jobs... I hope Jobs biggest invention, Apple, lasts a long, long time.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">"...saying that Apple will likely lose out to Google in the smartphone business "because (former Apple CEO Steve) Jobs is out of the picture."</span>

<p style="border:0px;color:rgb(0,0,0);margin-top:10px;vertical-align:baseline;">He added that "it really makes a difference who runs the company. (Google CEO) Larry Page is quite good and probably in the long run will come out on top." - E Musk</p>

Nonsense. Apple thrived many times over since Steve Wozniak left. ;)
  • Reply 33 of 151
    My opinion is that their meeting may have centered on batteries.

The Tesla uses the same type of battereis that we find in Apple devices.

In order to significant lower the cost of them, Musk already said that Tesla would probably build its own manufacturing plant for them. Now imagine that he could get Apple to partner on this endeavor (such as GT for sapphire) in order to have a very high production right from start to help utilize better the production capacity and reduce the batteries costs.

The 2 companies could even cooperate in order to improve the efficiency and capacity of them, before the plant starts de production, meaning exclusive technology that Tesla uses just for autos and Apple for computers, telecommunications and whereables, with no copycats possible without major lawsuits.

At least is what I would do.
  • Reply 34 of 151

In order to significant lower the cost of them, Musk already said that Tesla would probably build its own manufacturing plant for them. Now imagine that he could get Apple to partner on this endeavor (such as GT for sapphire) in order to have a very high production right from start to help utilize better the production capacity and reduce the batteries costs.

The 2 companies could even cooperate in order to improve the efficiency and capacity of them, before the plant starts de production, meaning exclusive technology that Tesla uses just for autos and Apple for computers, telecommunications and whereables.

• Reply 35 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post

I'm content with the design of the dashboard, and that's coming from an avid iPad & iPhone user. The thing I'd like to see most is greater integration with Apple or Google maps and deeper integration when Slacker or another streaming music service.

Doesn't Tesla already use google maps for its navigation software? What sort of "greater integration" are you looking for?

• Reply 36 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post

In the same way Earth is infamous for its planet-killing asteroids.  Happens very rarely, but some folks never forget.

• Reply 37 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Jean-Luc, you misspelt your username. There's one 'e' in Earl.

No wonder you have 13,800+ posts. 

Leave me alone.

• Reply 38 of 151
    Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Unironically, you continue to behave like an idiot. Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic troll.

• Reply 39 of 151
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

In the same way Earth is infamous for its planet-killing asteroids.  Happens very rarely, but some folks never forget.

Touché, though I never meant it as an offensive statement.

• Reply 40 of 151
    fxgpv wrote: »

The 2 companies could even cooperate in order to improve the efficiency and capacity of them, before the plant starts de production, meaning exclusive technology that Tesla uses just for autos and Apple for computers, telecommunications and whereables.

Thank you! Your observation was my ah-ha moment. I could not think of a truly relevant reason whyApple would talk to Tesla. Batteries is a reason why Apple would talk to a Tesla!! Again, thank you!!!