Apple secretly met with Tesla CEO Elon Musk; also working on tech to predict heart attacks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 151
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unironically, you continue to behave like an idiot. Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic troll.

Tallest, "the ability to speak does not make you intelligent", nor does the ability to make up words.

I'm not trying to be offensive, and yet you insist on taking offense to every comment that contradicts your imaginative "elite status" as an Apple fanboy. 

• Reply 42 of 151
    Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Im not trying to be offensive

And yet all you do is post offense.

Maybe stop that?

• Reply 43 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Jean-Luc, you misspelt your username. There's one 'e' in Earl.

No wonder you have 13,800+ posts. 

Leave me alone.

If you wish to be left alone, posting in a public forum is not the best idea. Just saying.

(I know, I have >12K posts.....some of us are old f4rts here, and the post count does build up. There is, unfortunately, no way to reset the count to zero and start afresh in AI. Let's see how many you have by 2021.)

• Reply 44 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If you wish to be left alone, posting in a public forum is not the best idea. Just saying.

(I know, I have >12K posts.....some of us are old f4rts here, and the post count does build up. There is, unfortunately, no way to reset the count to zero and start afresh in AI. Let's see how many you have by 2021.)

Indeed. :D

• Reply 45 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post

Wait, they think that Cook possibly meeting with Musk was about BUYING Tesla? For real?

Do these idiots not know how Apple operates? I would imagine that Apple would have pushed for a strategic partnership, but it's not Apple's style to buy a company as a way of jumpstarting a new product category. That's Google's game.

As if you know how Apple operates?

• Reply 46 of 151
    davendaven Posts: 696member

Having had two heart attacks myself, I'd be at the head of the line if Apple came out with a predictor of future heart attacks.

• Reply 47 of 151
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Doesn't Tesla already use google maps for its navigation software? What sort of "greater integration" are you looking for?

Yes it does use google maps, but it doesn't give multiple route options and doesn't estimate the travel time based on real-time traffic conditions.
  • Reply 48 of 151
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    A paper released not long ago (last year, year before - I'd have to search for it again if someone asked for a link) suggested that differential blood pressure, that is, the difference between blood pressure measured in two arms might be a much better predictor of heart condition than measurements made in a single limb. Might be oversimplifying to say, 'the greater the differential, the greater the risk', however, that was probably the thrust of the paper. The idea of using audio is simply fascinating though (to the uninitiated - me lol).

In case it wasn't already posted: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/blood-pressure-should-be-taken-in-both-arms/

sigma4life wrote: »
    Yes it does use google maps, but it doesn't give multiple route options and doesn't estimate the travel time based on real-time traffic conditions.

I have no issues with Google Maps as a general rule and use on the desktop but I'm not sure I'd be happy with it for my in-car navigation compared to what I've seen from automotive vendors.
  • Reply 49 of 151
    You gotta be f-ing kidding me: "San Francisco Cronical"??? Journalism is dead when the writer can't spell the name of a journalistic enterprise correctly. Sheesh! And shame on AI. The articles are short enough to be thoroughly proofread. And corrected if the typo is caught after posting.
  • Reply 50 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oirudleahcim View Post

You gotta be f-ing kidding me: "San Francisco Cronical"??? Journalism is dead when the writer can't spell the name of a journalistic enterprise correctly. Sheesh! And shame on AI. The articles are short enough to be thoroughly proofread. And corrected if the typo is caught after posting.

This is a chronic problem, I must say.

• Reply 51 of 151
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I could not think of a truly relevant reason why Apple would talk to Tesla. Batteries is a reason why Apple would talk to a Tesla!!

Apple has been in contact with other car manufacturers about iOS integration - the title of the following article is incorrect:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/12/why-bmw-doesnt-plan-to-integrate-apples-ios-in-the-car/

"BMW has contacted Autoblog to clarify its position. The company says it's in close contact with Apple and currently investigating the technical challenges required to integrate iOS in the Car, but since a final decision had not been made, it was not a part of Apple's announcement. Thus, according to BMW, integration of iOS in the Car in its cars has not been ruled out at all."

They already had lots of manufacturers on board for the iPod but Tesla isn't in the list:

https://www.apple.com/ipod/car-integration/

There could be more to it than this but iOS integration is a reason for them to be in contact.
  • Reply 52 of 151
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    While the technology advances at Tesla are very interesting, they are never going to be a mass-market producer and the Market expects Apple to be a mass-market producer (for better or worse).   Tesla is more like Next - very high end, very esoteric, very expensive and few bought it.
    Tesla fully intends to be a mass market car manufacturer, and they've demonstrated at every moment that they will do it. They started at the top of the market, but their intention is to deliver a mainstream EV in 2017. Those who doubt them continue to be wrong.

That said, cars are not consumer electronics. While there are obvious opportunities for a business partnership, outright ownership makes no sense. Elon Musk is the Edison / Ford of our time. He's not interested in working for anyone else.
  • Reply 53 of 151
    This must happen! I for one would really really like to see a collaboration between Apple and Tesla. Exciting!
  • Reply 54 of 151
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

Elon Musk is the Edison / Ford of our time.

I’d MUCH rather he be the Tesla/Ford of our time… Edison was a thief. Musk will get us to the Moon.

• Reply 55 of 151
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I’d MUCH rather he be the Tesla/Ford of our time… Edison was a thief. Musk will get us to the Moon.

To paraphrase Henry Ford, " You can have any engine you want so long as it's electric."
  • Reply 56 of 151
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

I truly hope that these two star companies (APPLE and TESLA) align and merge someday in the near future. Something very beautiful will come out of it.

• Reply 57 of 151
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

Me too. The union is potentially promising.

• Reply 58 of 151
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    To paraphrase Henry Ford, " You can have any engine you want so long as it's electric."
    You can have any hype you want as long as you buy it from me. :D
  • Reply 59 of 151
    And of course the auto they jointly market will be named the "Juice".  Not only as a colloquialism for electricity, but also as a sweet product of Apple that people can drink up!

And Mophie will sell giant "Juice Packs" to combat range anxiety.
  • Reply 60 of 151

Fortunately, journalism has disavowed websites that re-post content from other news sources for profit. :)