Samsung breaks from Android with redesigned, Tizen-powered Gear 2 smartwatches

Comments

• Reply 21 of 172
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

It is one unattractive piece of crap to wear.It is a joke to purchase this item.

I agree and don't think it will sell well outside of tech people. But it is technically impressive, the specs are higher than the original iPhone. And that means there is a slight danger in that if someone could come up with a way to get a really insanely great usable GUI on that little screen, and put an LTE chip in there, some people might start replacing their cellphones with them. Maybe just a few at first, but the GUI would be really hard to get right.

• Reply 22 of 172
    Actually, because of the form factor, a watch could have a better camera optics than a smart phone -- enclosed in the length of the watch body versus the thickness of a smart phone.

I find the idea of a camera in a watch bizarre and ridiculous. It sounds exotic, like a spy gadget, but the reality of trying to use it?

Samsung is flailing in the dark with these updates. The design is so chunky and outdated. A black and white screen!

I'm not at all convinced that Apple are going to bring out a smartwatch or some such thing. I hope they do, though. I think they would need two sizes for men and women. The hiring of Angela wotshername might have been a nod to the fashion element of a watch.

But Tim Cook himself said that not many young people wear watches these days. A bracelet? Can't see too many guys wearing them. Maybe it'll be something integrated into wireless headphones—Apple like to combine things.

Cook has teased that it's a ring; it would be quite funny if it were!
  • Reply 23 of 172
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

All that SameDung does is copy everything from Apple.  I for one am sick of it.  Apple cannot be the R and D lab for an entire industry!

That's because they aren't. Do you honestly really think that smartwatches are something new? Have you even looked around in the tech world outside of Apple? There where even smartwatches back in the late '90s early '00s that ran Palm OS, like the 'Fossil wrist PDA', and Samsung launched there first smartwatch in 2009 (the S9110 watch phone). Back at CES 2012 it was already said to become to next battleground, and by then rumors of an iWatch didn't even take off yet.

And Toshiba showed at CES 2013 (before the health centered iWatch rumors, those only started around July 2013) a prototype smartwatch with heart-rate sensor that could even identify you on that basis. Toshiba's goal was to bridge both trends, smartwatch and fitness tracker. Sound familiar? It's called following trends (just like Apple is doing according to the rumors), and also has to do with similar technology being developed at the same time when technology is ready for it (a little bit like 'convergent evolution' in biology). There is no doubt that Apple contributes to the R&D in the industry but to say they are the only one in beyond ridiculous.

• Reply 24 of 172
    Maybe Apple should start selling Android and Tizen apps through the iTunes Store.

Maybe hell should freeze over.
  • Reply 25 of 172
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    When Samsung does this to their phone range then Google may be extremely f*cked.
  • Reply 26 of 172
    ascii wrote: »
    Maybe Apple should start selling Android and Tizen apps through the iTunes Store.
    Radical idea. Those customers probably want a properly curated App Store they can trust, and Apple has a trusted name. But couldn't Samsung make Tizen refuse to run any app that wasn't signed by Samsung? Or maybe you were being tongue in cheek.

Not really tongue in cheek ... maybe foot in mouth, o loco en la cabeza :???:

But, just thinking back a few years -- Apple had this mp3 player and an ecosystem of content in iTunes. Both were doing OK! But the big breakthrough was in October 2003:
    Apple Launches iTunes for Windows

Second Generation Online Music Store Available Today for Mac & Windows Users

SAN FRANCISCO—October 16, 2003—Apple® today launched the second generation of its revolutionary iTunes® Music Store for both Mac® and Windows users. The new iTunes Music Store offers Windows users the same online music store that Mac users love—with the same music catalog, the same personal use rights and the same 99 cents-per-song pricing. Since its launch six months ago, music fans have purchased and downloaded more than 13 million songs from the iTunes Music Store, making it the number one download music service in the world. With music from all five major music companies and over 200 independent music labels, the iTunes Music Store catalog is growing every day and will offer more than 400,000 songs by the end of October.

“The iTunes Music Store has revolutionized the way people legally buy music online, and now it’s available to tens of millions more music lovers with iTunes for Windows,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “While our competitors haven't even come close to matching our first generation, we’re already releasing the second generation of the iTunes Music Store for Mac and Windows.”Store for Mac and Windows.”

That move, opening up the iTunes ecosystem to Windows, was responsible for a tremendous increase of sales of iPods and iTunes content. And, to a lessor extent, it exposed WinTel users to the quality of Macs, the Mac OS and ecosystem.

Certainly, Apple is in different businesses today ... but it makes me wonder what would happen if Apple offered a better ecosystem for competitive platforms -- while, at the same time, exposed them to the superior advantages to a total Apple solution.

One of the potential businesses that Apple could enter is general "purchasing and payment" through the iTunes Market™.

Projecting how big this could be -- why not welcome all comers?
  • Reply 27 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

So ugly

It looks like pretty much any watch

• Reply 28 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

SOT:

Lately, it seems that AI is slow to cover breaking stories such as this.

Some stories are not even covered at all -- for example the recent Google Tango project.

Tango is a smart phone and SDK with interior 3D mapping/navigation capability -- it could be a major breakthrough ...

Yet no mention by AI.

Edit: as I write this, ARS has more than a four hour lead, with 30 posts, before this AI article hit the Web.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/02/samsung-replaces-the-galaxy-gear-with-a-pair-of-tizen-powered-smartwatches/

iMore was quicker than ARS by about 2+ hours ;)

http://www.imore.com/samsung-announces-new-gear-2-smartwatches-world-still-waiting-apple-announce-one

• Reply 29 of 172
    Cook has teased that it's a ring; it would be quite funny if it were!

Well, there is a slightly related patent on an Apple designed ring:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/20/apples-smart-magnet-tech-could-spawn-new-classes-of-ipad-accessories

• Reply 30 of 172
    anonymeee wrote: »
    I will remember this day as a turning point for both android and samsung. If samsung starts to do its own thing, android will lose market share and developers. Samsung has to find new developers first, but it will finally be measurable how many tizen activations there will be and therefore real market share numbers. Also this will fragmentate the market further and i guess not all android partners like retailers will jump on the tizen train directly.
    Will be interesting to see how samsung manages it

"Fragmentate"?
  • Reply 31 of 172
    SOT:

Some stories are not even covered at all -- for example the recent Google Tango project.

Tango is a smart phone and SDK with interior 3D mapping/navigation capability -- it could be a major breakthrough ...

Yet no mention by AI.

Edit: as I write this, ARS has more than a four hour lead, with 30 posts, before this AI article hit the Web.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/02/samsung-replaces-the-galaxy-gear-with-a-pair-of-tizen-powered-smartwatches/

Count backward from the first appearance of this story on The Verge. How long does it take to reinterpret and rewrite the work of another author, ofttimes leaving out critical details only the original writer would understand were critical to the story?
  • Reply 32 of 172
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Imagine what would people say if Apple released a product, then stopped its production five months later for a new one, and stopped providing updates.
    I'm actually a little sad for those few first Gear buyers.
  • Reply 33 of 172
    anonymeee wrote: »
    I will remember this day as a turning point for both android and samsung. If samsung starts to do its own thing, android will lose market share and developers. Samsung has to find new developers first, but it will finally be measurable how many tizen activations there will be and therefore real market share numbers. Also this will fragmentate the market further and i guess not all android partners like retailers will jump on the tizen train directly.
    Will be interesting to see how samsung manages it

Delusional. Samsung is only 'good' at copying. They don't have the means to develop something competitive with the PlayStore or AppStore. They can't support developers as Google does, update their OS as Google does. They don't have the level of service Google has. Anyone who thinks they can needs a reality check. Samsung is nothing without Google.
  • Reply 34 of 172
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Are there any Android apps not already in the App Store that people would want (or would be useful with an iOS device)?
  • Reply 35 of 172

But, just thinking back a few years -- Apple had this mp3 player and an ecosystem of content in iTunes. Both were doing OK! But the big breakthrough was in October 2003:
    That move, opening up the iTunes ecosystem to Windows, was responsible for a tremendous increase of sales of iPods and iTunes content. And, to a lessor extent, it exposed WinTel users to the quality of Macs, the Mac OS and ecosystem.

Certainly, Apple is in different businesses today ... but it makes me wonder what would happen if Apple offered a better ecosystem for competitive platforms -- while, at the same time, exposed them to the superior advantages to a total Apple solution.

One of the potential businesses that Apple could enter is general "purchasing and payment" through the iTunes Market™.

Aren't even capable of analyzing your own comment.
    Apple put iTunes on Windows > pushed people to buy iPods.
    Apple puts Android apps in the iTunes Store > what do they gain exactly?

You all need to get back to Earth. This is the stupidest idea I've heard this month.
  • Reply 36 of 172
    gtr wrote: »
    When Samsung does this to their phone range then Google may be extremely f*cked.

Fortunately for them, they get most their mobile advertising revenue from iOS anyway.
  • Reply 37 of 172
    rogifan wrote: »
    Are there any Android apps not already in the App Store that people would want (or would be useful with an iOS device)?

IDK.* My point was that maybe Apple should consider selling apps for competitive platforms, e.g. Android Apps for Android devices.

If there are Android apps that are N/A on iDevices, this might influence the developers to develop for iOS too.

* I suspect that there are quite a few Android apps that use capabilities on Android devices that would not be allowed on a similar iOS app. From what I understand, except for Google's family jewels, anything goes on Android -- kinda' semi-Jailbroken.
  • Reply 38 of 172
    If there are Android apps that are N/A on iDevices, this might influence the developers to develop for iOS too.

Yes, because there clearly are so many major apps on that situation. not.

And anyway, I don't see why an Android-only developer might be influenced to develop for iOS because Apple makes Android apps. Doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 39 of 172
    clemynx wrote: »

Aren't even capable of analyzing your own comment.
    Apple put iTunes on Windows > pushed people to buy iPods.
    Apple puts Android apps in the iTunes Store > what do they gain exactly?

You all need to get back to Earth. This is the stupidest idea I've heard this month.

Um... What does Apple [currently] sell [at a good profit] in the iTunes Store? Answer content: movies, TV shows, Books, Apps. What are Apps? Answer: Content!

On a yearly basis iTunes/Software/Services is nearly half of Google’s core business and growing slightly faster.

The iTunes “empire” of content and services would be ranked as number 130 in the Fortune 500 ranking of companies (slightly below Alcoa and above Eli Lilly).

http://www.asymco.com/2014/02/10/fortune-130/

You might try to think more broadly than the world as we know it ... Who can say what the next big Tech opportunity will be.

Apple has shown that there is good profit to be made in sales of digital content ... what other types of sales might offer good potential profits? Eh?
  • Reply 40 of 172
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    SOT:

Yet no mention by AI.

I agree and even many breaking news items on MR are not mentioned on AI. I must say I am spending more and more time on ARS these days, love that site.