Tesla mum on potential CarPlay support, despite meetings with Apple

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

Display is too large to make sense for car play which is designed the take over the entire frame.

Why? Just have the UI options up and available at the same time as whatever you’ve chosen to be up.

Huge, gorgeous map up alongside the music, etc. buttons. 

• Reply 62 of 74
    imember wrote: »
    To me Tesla UI looks ugly and confusing (the world barely knows this company) but you think it's better than iOS (plus Android) UI? the most used operating system in the world because more than 80% of Earth population are using it right now
    Why can't you just be happy about Apple? or admit that this is great invention (they changed the world again) and this was a simple idea but nobody thought of that until Apple did

I never said it is better than iOS in general. I said I prefer it to look of CarPlay. I think the Tesla UI is like a nicely designed iOS 6 app. I'm hoping they update it with a flatter design like iOS 7 this year.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post

I never said it is better than iOS in general. I said I prefer it to look of CarPlay. I think the Tesla UI is like a nicely designed iOS 6 app. I'm hoping they update it with a flatter design like iOS 7 this year.

Well i do like that feature to see you're car on the screen, iOS should definetily have an app for that, it looks like Tesla invested some money that UI OS but eventually they will have to go with Apple just like the others.. for most men Tesla UI is not that difficult to use but for most women probably yes, imagine the look on her face of hot blonde cheerleader when she looks at Tesla UI sreen :D 

I was born in the year 86:smokey: 

• Reply 64 of 74
    liupingliuping Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

Tesla was partly funded by Google. Display is too large to make sense for car play which is designed the take over the entire frame.

Actually, CarPlay would be great inside one of the two 1/2 screen panels on the Model S.  That way Tesla native navigation, energy monitoring, etc can still be used in one window, while CarPlay can control music, etc. cleanly in it's window.

Half a Model S touch screen is bigger than pretty much every other audio touch screen out there...

• Reply 65 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by liuping View Post

Actually, CarPlay would be great inside one of the two 1/2 screen panels on the Model S.  That way Tesla native navigation, energy monitoring, etc can still be used in one window, while CarPlay can control music, etc. cleanly in it's window.

Why do that? Native sucks. Have two-up CarPlay with Apple Maps and Music.

• Reply 66 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why do that? Native sucks. Have two-up CarPlay with Apple Maps and Music.

Native does not suck, it just lack decent music controls and iPhone integration.

CarPlay will not have access to battery information, etc.

• Reply 67 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    stevesreed wrote: »
    Native does not suck, it just lack decent music controls and iPhone integration.

CarPlay will not have access to battery information, etc.

If the rumours of Apple opening up CarPlay to 3rd-party developers at some point are true I'd like to see Automatic get on there, but that would mean they'd have to do update their app so it updates in real time, instead of after the car is turned off.

• Reply 68 of 74
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Interface designer tunnel vision.

That is not a desktop computer we're looking at. That's a free moving chunk of metal, hurling through space at 70MPH with a bunch of other free moving chunks of metal all around it.

With all the over illustrated crap on that screen, why do I need to actually touch AND then drag the virtual sunroof image itself? (after having navigated submenus to get there (!)

It's the most over-designed, indirect way of performing the most simplest of tasks, that I could imagine.

Edit: It actually does remind me of the silliness of the computer interface in "Minority Report" with data stored on futuristic "floppy disks" that have to carried from computer to computer. And you look at that and go "Whaaa? Are they serious?"  Looks REALLY cool, but it's like they made it the way they did because it "looks" really, really futuristic, man! Like it's from a Sci-Fi movie. Therefore, let's go with that image  

Obviously you've never actually driven the Model S or used the UI for more than 5 minutes. If you did you would realize that everything you said is absurd and doesn't apply to the Model S.

Nobody should need to use it for for than 30 seconds. THAT'S THE POINT! 

Any car I get into is instantly self explanatory. That's the way technology should be.

I wonder why you're even posting on an Apple board if you don't understand that design principle.

Tesla will get there, once they turn-down the juvenile male computer geek "ooh, neeto!" elements of the interface. And move it toward a more matured "pure invisible function".

• Reply 69 of 74
    Quote:

Any car I get into is instantly self explanatory. That's the way technology should be.

I wonder why you're even posting on an Apple board if you don't understand that design principle.

Tesla will get there, once they turn-down the juvenile male computer geek "ooh, neeto!" elements of the interface. And move it toward a more matured "pure invisible function".

You're worse than a back-seat driver. You've never used it yet you're an expert on it should look and work. You have several people on this message board that own the car love the way the screen works, yet YOU are the expert from seeing a couple of pictures online. LOL

• Reply 70 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If the rumours of Apple opening up CarPlay to 3rd-party developers at some point are true I'd like to see Automatic get on there, but that would mean they'd have to do update their app so it updates in real time, instead of after the car is turned off.

Automatic looks pretty cool for older cars. I will probably be getting it for my daughter's Camry.

Unfortunately, the ODB II connector on the Tesla does not provide much info, so I do not think it will not be very helpful for Engine codes, etc.

Information about effceincy is provided on screen as a real time graph, so you know immediately the effect of acceleration and brake, etc. Parking location with the Tesla App, etc.

• Reply 71 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    stevesreed wrote: »
    Automatic looks pretty cool for older cars. I will probably be getting it for my daughter's Camry.

Unfortunately, the ODB II connector on the Tesla does not provide much info, so I do not think it will not be very helpful for Engine codes, etc.

Information about effceincy is provided on screen as a real time graph, so you know immediately the effect of acceleration and brake, etc. Parking location with the Tesla App, etc.

Older cars? Mine is about 6 months old and I know someone that uses it with a new car they bought this year.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:

Every car I get into is different, even "standard" controls like turn signals, wipers, and headlights are often in differnet locations for different brands. It takes a few minutes to figure out the stereo controls, navigations system, etc. 

The Model S is different because it's better. It takes a few minutes to get used to it, but once you do, you will look at other cars as prinitive antiques. There is no key or even a button for ignition, no need to turn off the parking brake when you put it in drive, etc. 

• Reply 73 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Older cars? Mine is about 6 months old and I know someone that uses it with a new car they bought this year.

Sorry, I should have said "internal combustion cars", as opposed to something like the Tesla.

Honestly, after a few month with a Tesla Model S, pretty much all cars see sort of "old fashioned". Even our Volt seems outdated...

• Reply 74 of 74
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevesreed View Post

Quote:

Every car I get into is different, even "standard" controls like turn signals, wipers, and headlights are often in differnet locations for different brands. It takes a few minutes to figure out the stereo controls, navigations system, etc. 

The Model S is different because it's better. It takes a few minutes to get used to it, but once you do, you will look at other cars as prinitive antiques. There is no key or even a button for ignition, no need to turn off the parking brake when you put it in drive, etc. 

Exactly.

See the end of my last sentence above; the part I emphasized with quotations?