Apple releases iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, Siri and Touch ID improvements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I wonder how this experience will be on Android. Is it something, like, BOOM¿

1. Won't be snappy on Android until there is 64-bit hardware and software.  Could take years.

2. Most users wouldn't be able to upgrade to the latest version anyway.  Obsolete hardware and/or carrier blockage.

• Reply 22 of 137
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

Correct.  If you download and install the update via iTunes, you will download the entire image file.  The 214 MB update is the "over the air" update you run via WiFi directly on your iOS device (Settings app -> General -> Software Update)

So far on my iPad mini and my iPhone 5s, that I've done OTA on Wifi, it has been 1.4 and 1.5 GB respectively.

Perhaps because I was running 7.1 beta, however. May be a smaller update going from 7.0.6 > 7.1

• Reply 22 of 137
    The lockscreen keyboard is different (I think) if anyone cares
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/39428/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

My update was ~ 271 MB.

Text size on the notification center looks considerably larger and I have my text size setting at the smallest level.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/39429/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

They also finally made the clear button for notifications bigger and easier to read

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/39430/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 24 of 137
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member

Bleh, fades (Reduced Motion on) are not any faster than before...

• Reply 25 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Apparently so for the 4, which, if true, is pretty amazing considering it is a very old phone by now. If Apple has managed to breathe a little life into the old 4 it will be very welcome to the millions of people who still use one, or everyone who has one or more collecting dust in a drawer somewhere. I have been very hesitant even giving mine away as the experience is not great. 

I've kept mine purely because it's unlocked and for the off chance that I travel over seas

• Reply 26 of 137
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

Anything interesting UI/feature-wise or just the usual "integration"/"cloud" crap?

• Reply 27 of 137

Favorite new setting so far is Darken Colors. It just adds more weight to the system. Highly recommended.

• Reply 28 of 137
    It is definitely snappier in most aspects that I've seen so far (closing apps to the home screen, list scrolling, switching between app pages, opening apps from home/search, zooming in/out of folders, pulling up the keyboard).
  • Reply 29 of 137
    damonfdamonf Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Hi, I'm Jack Ass Analyst here on Wall Street. I am urging my clients to sell their APPL positions based on the contents of this update. We originally forecasted that this update would contain holographic enhancements and a olfactory sensor, which would allow apps to recognize a food dish. However, since Apple has let us down once again by not meeting our outlandish prognostications, we are urging our clients to SELL.

Samsung, with its lack of filters for the plethora of features it blindly slaps onto and into its phones, proves much more compelling for consumers who are easily delighted by senseless options, which they forget about by the time they arrive home from their local Android bazaar.

Hello Jack Ass Analyst!  I'm with Dumb Ass Bash Apple Tech News Site.  Can we quote you on your AAPL stock SELL recommendation in order to help further soil Apple's reputation in the minds of the hapless public who read our drivel?

• Reply 30 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    philboogie wrote: »

...and it took 17 posts before Google and/or Android got an off-topic mention. ;)
  • Reply 31 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »

...and it took 17 posts before Google and/or Android got an off-topic mention. ;)

Must be my slow iPhone. Normally I'm #1 to make a derogative remark about the competition.
  • Reply 32 of 137

I just crashed Safari without much effort. Very disappointing. Granted, it certainly lasted longer than it normally does, but simply opening up a bunch of websites and 1 audio file was enough to kill it.

:(

• Reply 33 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    Must be my slow iPhone. Normally I'm #1 to make a derogative remark about the competition.

:D
  • Reply 34 of 137
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,826member
    The zooming animations are quicker, as is TouchID recognition, which is great as typing the 4 digit passcode in took about the same time as fingerprint recognition for me with 7.0.x.

The UK voices are good but not quite as smooth as the American ones. The male one still sounds a bit like he's talking through foam (the old UK Daniel voice was awful, people would comment on how bad it was. It was really muffled and weird), but the female is nice and clear.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Favorite new setting so far is Darken Colors. It just adds more weight to the system. Highly recommended.

Nevermind. Turn this setting on, then visit Maps. Major bug. Search field is black. Text is black. Text is invisible. Well done Apple. Solid testing. (feedback submitted)

• Reply 36 of 137
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Actually, ever since updating to 7.0.4, my iPhone 5s has had very few crashes and only one time where the phone randomly rebooted (and this came after a previously stable game app was updated and started lagging a lot).  I suspect that some of the problems people have with iOS 7 might come from installing the updates using the smaller OTA delta installation files, rather than plugging the device into a computer and running the full-sized installation file on iTunes.  All I know is that I've done two of the iOS 7 updates using iTunes, and for whatever reason, my phone has not had a lot of the issues that I read about. 

• Reply 37 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandman999 View Post

@robotstorm: For snooze, just hit the lock button.

Cool, thanks!!! I didn't know that.

Although I'd still love a giant snooze button on the home screen.

• Reply 38 of 137
    Pulling home screen down for the search doesn't 'hiccup' anymore!
  • Reply 39 of 137
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    . . .Safari hasn't crashed while posting this, so there.

So, testing this out, I have quoted you, messed with your post a bit, made a few backspace corrections to my post, waited a few seconds . . .

. . . and it should be crashing on me right about now . . .

and it didn't!!!!
  • Reply 40 of 137
    You can now change the gender of UK English Siri....liking the less robotic female approach! I haven't had time to check, but I think changing the Siri voice still changes the spelling.