Apple releases iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, Siri and Touch ID improvements

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137

One minor, weird thing that is a bit jarring: the bottom tray (with the gray background) on the home screen now has black lettering on my 5S (all else it white).

However, on a 4 that I simultaneously updated, the text stays white (btw, it's quite amazing how much faster the 5S is compared to the 4).

Anyone else have this issue?

Add: Other than that, I am loving the update. I have switched to the lady with the English accent. She seems to pronounce my name better than the American one.

• Reply 82 of 137
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I can't get the software reboot to work. Anybody else seeing this.
  • Reply 83 of 137
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member

iOS 7 is such a huge step back for iOS. Apple should have never let go of Scott Forstall. Steve Jobs would never allow this garbage.

For one, the memory system is so screwy, switching between apps, they constantly reload and I lose my information many times, even if background app refresh is turned on. This is maddening when I use my running app, as the GPS can't keep up when the app is not at the front. Also, switching back to Safari, pages constantly reload, which is a pain if you are copying something from another app into a Safari text field. Woops, there goes all that text you entered. Hope it wasn't important!

The buttons are so small and there's no response to what you are pressing. Previous iOS had more depth and would "flash" when you touched a button on the screen so that you know you are touching what you want. 

Then there's the constant crashing and resetting with the Apple logo. Happens on my iPad and my iPhone. Reminds me of kernel panics in OS X 10.0. 

The keyboard has been moved around, so constantly I am touching return, or period, instead of the space bar. What genius thought of changing the size of the keys on something people have been using for 7 years??

The icons are ugly and look like something designed for PlaySkool. 

The animations and transitions are slow. 

• Reply 84 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wubbus View Post

Hopefully the performance improvements on iPhone 4 are significant.  It can't possibly get much worse without rendering the phone entirely inoperative.  

Disappointed to see there is still no fix for the "Messages (Saved)" bug that takes up 3.6GB on my phone.  Deleting iMessage threads don't remove these "saved" messages for some reason.  Maybe iOS 7.2...

Yes why there is no swipable erase messages right in the usage section I will never understand. Especially for other apps. Why can't I just deleted the saved data of an app without having to delete and reinstall completely.

Anyone know how to report iOS bugs? Found one with pulling on notification banners ang going into the notification center.

• Reply 85 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

[above]

Phew! Thanks for summing up the nonsense arguments in one post. Now no one else has to mention them.

• Reply 86 of 137

This is due to the "increase contrast" setting in General > Accessibility, which seems to be the default setting after the update. Just switch off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

One minor, weird thing that is a bit jarring: the bottom tray (with the gray background) on the home screen now has black lettering on my 5S (all else it white).

However, on a 4 that I simultaneously updated, the text stays white (btw, it's quite amazing how much faster the 5S is compared to the 4).

Anyone else have this issue?

Add: Other than that, I am loving the update. I have switched to the lady with the English accent. She seems to pronounce my name better than the American one.

• Reply 87 of 137
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    ...and it took 17 posts before Google and/or Android got an off-topic mention. ;)

Good to see Gatorguy finally admit that Google is an off-topic...
  • Reply 88 of 137
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    SO FAST!!!!
  • Reply 89 of 137
    Has "BUTTON SHAPES" always been available in the accessibility settings?

I turned it on and I love it.

I hate the floating words buttons, now they are back to the way they were.
  • Reply 90 of 137
    I am downloading the update.  I have a weird question.  My iphone5 the update is 1.27gb.  I call my friend that has a iphone 5, and he told me that his update was only 214mb as the article show!!  has someone has see these???? Note: i am making the update from my macbook pro! Is downloading all the IOS instead of making the update?
    You doing a full upgrade that's why it's that big. If you do a over the air update it will be 200+ Mbs
  • Reply 91 of 137
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Has "BUTTON SHAPES" always been available in the accessibility settings?

I turned it on and I love it.

I hate the floating words buttons, now they are back to the way they were.

It's new. Thanks for mentioning.

So a lot of fixes are to negate the original premise of iOS 7 ( and remember the iOS 7 beta was even more radical in its lack of shadows and contrast).
  • Reply 92 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

The lockscreen keyboard is different (I think) if anyone cares

My update was ~ 271 MB.

Text size on the notification center looks considerably larger and I have my text size setting at the smallest level.

They also finally made the clear button for notifications bigger and easier to read

Nice. I'm still reading the EULA....

• Reply 93 of 137
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jony0 View Post

Finally ! It's about time they dedicated substantial resources for this scourge. /s

Seriously, even though it was probably a simple quick fix, this is sooo trivial and much more a personal organizational problem than a technical one. I guess some business users could possibly carry 10,000 emails for business or legal issues, but unread ?

I currently have 13,395 unread emails in my Outlook mailbox at work.  But we're not allowed to connect our devices to the Exchange server any more so it's moot.

• Reply 94 of 137

my best friend’s sister makes $81 every hour on the laptop . She has been without work for 7 months but last month her pay check was $12458 just working on the laptop for a few hours. over here

=================================

http://xurl.es/ymb6g

===================================

• Reply 95 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Are there any cars available today I can do an CarPlay test with?
  • Reply 96 of 137
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Anything interesting UI/feature-wise or just the usual "integration"/"cloud" crap?

They ruined the dock, it has a black bold font now on 'older' devices.
    You can restore it to the original via settings, general, accessibility, increase contrast and switch of 'reduced transparency'
  • Reply 97 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are there any cars available today I can do an CarPlay test with?

I don't think so.

• Reply 98 of 137
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Nevermind. Turn this setting on, then visit Maps. Major bug. Search field is black. Text is black. Text is invisible. Well done Apple. Solid testing. (feedback submitted)

It's not happening on any devices that I have. I actually enabled for my mom and she isn't seeing it either.

• Reply 99 of 137
    sporlo wrote: »
    Nevermind. Turn this setting on, then visit Maps. Major bug. Search field is black. Text is black. Text is invisible. Well done Apple. Solid testing. (feedback submitted)
    I don't have this issue.

Hmm

I just turned on the "button shapes" in accessibility… That coupled with the dark colors option and I really like bringing back the buttons to life.

But I tried out maps and I'm not facing the issue that you are.
  • Reply 100 of 137
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosDeBernard View Post

I am downloading the update.  I have a weird question.  My iphone5 the update is 1.27gb.  I call my friend that has a iphone 5, and he told me that his update was only 214mb as the article show!!  has someone has see these???? Note: i am making the update from my macbook pro! Is downloading all the IOS instead of making the update?

Were you running the beta? Devices running the beta get a full image download while those on 7.0.6 or earlier get a delta update.