Apple's iOS 7.1 brings animation updates, UI tweaks for Phone, calendar, and more

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I honestly don't know to what you refer.

I think he is talking about the buttons that were in iOS 7 for Answer, Decline when a call came. They were just 2 rectangular buttons. Now we have circular icons that seem more defined/ refined in iOS 7.1.

Don't know what he meant by 'hard to read' though.

• Reply 62 of 98
    soonlarsoonlar Posts: 13member
    On my iPhone 5 it said I needed about 1.9GB free to install even though the download is about 260MB.
  • Reply 63 of 98
    Sadly, Control Center, on a locked device, still allows to turn on Plane Mode without requesting a pass code... :no:
  • Reply 64 of 98
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

I wonder what is going on in Apple's design team. Obviously people didn't adapt well to Jony's 7.0, I do feel that the new design is a stark step away, concept wise, from what iOS7 design was supposed to be.

Only a few months ago I upgraded my iPhone4 from iOS5 to iOS 7.  I was targeting iOS6, but while I was reorganizing my iPhone apps and data to get enough space, iOS 6 became unavailable. So a few months ago I cautiously installed iOS 7 and was pleasantly surprised.  I had tried it out several times at our local Apple retail store, so I knew where I was going.

My first surprise was it wasn't slow, in fact faster than iOS 5, particularly when I did a fair evaluation of total task time, which included my time.

For example having a contact search available at all times really speeded up that task by making it much more convenient and faster for me.

Another speed up was the much easier app switching and deleting.

I did spend some setup time taking advantage of the variable text size. That is a good function.

It was nice to get Apple Map, but unfortunately the satellite view is too dark.  Google Maps is much more visible.

My main negative on iOS7 was Apple switched my AppleID to my Gmail and also gave Google+ unique spying capability.

Tip: If you use Gmail have a look at the settings. I found my Notes, Contacts and  Calendars exposed to Google+ !!!

I never did agree to Google for their + service and Apple turned on the Google+ Spyware sharing, but not for my other 2 Email addresses. VERY UGLY!

There's nothing I'm needing in this iOS7 update, even if I could run Carplay it's not something I'd use when driving.

So when iOS 7.1.2 comes along I'll upgrade.

• Reply 65 of 98
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    josha wrote: »
    Only a few months ago I upgraded my iPhone4 from iOS5 to iOS 7.  I was targeting iOS6, but while I was reorganizing my iPhone apps and data to get enough space, iOS 6 became unavailable. So a few months ago I cautiously installed iOS 7 and was pleasantly surprised.  I had tried it out several times at our local Apple retail store, so I knew where I was going.
    My first surprise was it wasn't slow, in fact faster than iOS 5, particularly when I did a fair evaluation of total task time, which included my time.
     For example having a contact search available at all times really speeded up that task by making it much more convenient and faster for me.
     Another speed up was the much easier app switching and deleting.
    I did spend some setup time taking advantage of the variable text size. That is a good function.
    It was nice to get Apple Map, but unfortunately the satellite view is too dark.  Google Maps is much more visible.

My main negative on iOS7 was Apple switched my AppleID to my Gmail and also gave Google+ unique spying capability.
    Tip: If you use Gmail have a look at the settings. I found my Notes, Contacts and  Calendars exposed to Google+ !!!
    I never did agree to Google for their + service and Apple turned on the Google+ Spyware sharing, but not for my other 2 Email addresses. VERY UGLY!

There's nothing I'm needing in this iOS7 update, even if I could run Carplay it's not something I'd use when driving.
    So when iOS 7.1.2 comes along I'll upgrade.

A lot of what you said is completely inaccurate and hyperbolic. After reading the security white paper Apple put out regarding iOS, I have even more faith in their mission to protect user data. Let's address your post.

Apple actually doesn't have the mechanism to enable Google+. It's not their service. You have to enable it directly on Google's site. Google is a bit shady and opts you in by default with new accounts. You can log into your Google account and delete your Google+ profile without deleting your actual Gmail account. Additionally, you can set up an email account with any provider including something like fastmail, and then update your Apple ID to be that new email address without losing any information. That way you can keep Google completely separate from your Apple account.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Before implementing this latest update I thought I remembered the keyboard actually showing upper and lowercase characters.

Now I'm only seeing uppercase no matter if the caps lock is on or off. Did something change or am I misremembering?

Misremembering. iOS has always had uppercase letters on keyboards. It's actually one of the main criticism people have about the iOS keyboard. Your visual cue is the shift key, which now has clearer states but some still have issues with it.
  • Reply 67 of 98
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    "Button shapes" is pretty bad. Very beta looking.
  • Reply 68 of 98
    The download is compressed. Firstly it must be uncompressed on the phone, then those files copied/installed/duplicated on the phone before the original files can finally be deleted. Hence the amount of free space needed is much more than the download size.
    soonlar wrote: »
    On my iPhone 5 it said I needed about 1.9GB free to install even though the download is about 260MB.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    The show button shape is hideous, lazily implemented..seems like Apple just did for the sake of those complaining about the text based buttons..

I disagree. It's an iOS 7 take on the buttons in ios6.

I don't like floating dainty buttons.

I feel it adds a better sense to the menu buttons. Especially when you're in a moving environment or if your outside. Your eye can quickly gravitate to the buttons.

Also there's a nice little transparent look to them.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Every time I try to use Siri in my car, my wife starts talking...

...every

freaking

time!

That's what wives do.

• Reply 71 of 98
    Quote:

Care to elaborate?

No need.

• Reply 72 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WillCroPoint View Post

Sadly, Control Center, on a locked device, still allows to turn on Plane Mode without requesting a pass code... image

Not if you disable it in Settings, something which you've been able to do ever since Control Center was invented.

• Reply 73 of 98
    Not if you disable it in Settings, something which you've been able to do ever since Control Center was invented.

I totally agree with you. But I still find sad to have to disable it [Control Center] while Siri will not enable Air Plane mode until the device gets unlocked.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

I wonder what is going on in Apple's design team. Obviously people didn't adapt well to Jony's 7.0, I do feel that the new design is a stark step away, concept wise, from what iOS7 design was supposed to be.

Now, I for one am happy, because I never liked the minimalist design that rolled out; if they now also change some of the icons I'm a happy camper.

I just would love to be a fly in Jony Ive's office to hear the discussions that they had.

Quote:

Care to elaborate?

“I wonder what is going on in Apple’s design team."  Designing the best hardware and software in the business, that’s what.

“Obviously people didn’t adapt well to Jony’s 7.0.” The vast majority have, with great enthusiasm. Critics always get the most press.

I do feel that the new design is a stark step away, concept wise, from what iOS7 design was supposed to be.” Wrong, patently wrong. A few tweaks is not a new design.

“Now, I for one am happy, because I never liked the minimalist design that rolled out; if they now also change some of the icons I’m a happy camper.” There’s no significant change in anything, period.

“I just would love to be a fly in Jony Ive’s office to hear the discussions that they had.” You wouldn’t have a clue what they were talking about. Neither would I.

“Care to elaborate?” You are entitled to your opinion but don’t expect it to be accepted with gratitude. Many are tired of the “nattering nabobs of negativism” (credit Spiro Agnew) who are never satisfied with anything Apple does. Haughty comments about who are the arbiters of design and functionality are laughable. Your ilk will be the death of Apple if you get your way, same as those who still want a headless Mac.

• Reply 75 of 98
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Before implementing this latest update I thought I remembered the keyboard actually showing upper and lowercase characters.

Now I'm only seeing uppercase no matter if the caps lock is on or off. Did something change or am I misremembering?
    I'm pretty sure that's never been the case, letters are always shown in uppercase.
  • Reply 76 of 98
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Something I didn't quite figure out in iOS7 was why the keyboard is black in certain apps and grey in others. There must be some logic to it that I missed, or have been to lazy to grasp.

I don't understand it either, it would be nice to have the option to pick one you like. I would prefer to have a darker keyboard when inputing text.

I also noticed when on a call the minute ticket is so small and left of center. What gives with that...?

• Reply 77 of 98
    I worked on OS's at Apple for years. Never liked iOS, then they made it flat and added multi tasking cards and dynamic menus(ala webOS) to get to settings easier. Still feels un-natural though. I'll stick with webOS for now. My Pre3 has lasted for 3 years and is still going strong even after getting dunked in a pool. Love the interface, still beats iOS in ease of use, love the physical keyboard.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by appleempl View Post

I worked on OS's at Apple for years. Never liked iOS, then they made it flat and added multi tasking cards and dynamic menus(ala webOS) to get to settings easier. Still feels un-natural though. I'll stick with webOS for now. My Pre3 has lasted for 3 years and is still going strong even after getting dunked in a pool. Love the interface, still beats iOS in ease of use, love the physical keyboard.

The only thing I believe about this post is that someone is still using WebOS. That’s just crazy enough to buy.

• Reply 79 of 98
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    The only thing I believe about this post is that someone is still using WebOS. That’s just crazy enough to buy.
    "Hands-on with LG's smart TV running webOS"
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/lg-webos-smart-tv-hands-on/
  • Reply 80 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    "Hands-on with LG's smart TV running webOS"
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/lg-webos-smart-tv-hands-on/

Without trying it out my opinion is soft but from what I've seen in the video that on-screen mouse pointer looks like a stressful way to control one's television. I can't imagine LG using it if was a PITA and the demonstrator doesn't seem to have a problem but from my perspective it looks wrong.