Apple's iOS 7.1 brings animation updates, UI tweaks for Phone, calendar, and more

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98

Great article thanks!

• Reply 82 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

They went sort of crazy on the circle theme in iOS 7.1. Now it even extends to Spotlight. I really don't care for it. I used to think rounded corners were ok but now I just prefer rectangles like the new Apple home page. They used to have rounded rectangles on the bottom row but now just straight rectangles which looks great. The circles in iOS seems inconsistent with the new Apple design language. Off topic but, whatever are they going to do with that web menu bar?

• Reply 83 of 98
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

“Care to elaborate?” You are entitled to your opinion but don’t expect it to be accepted with gratitude. Many are tired of the “nattering nabobs of negativism” (credit Spiro Agnew) who are never satisfied with anything Apple does. Haughty comments about who are the arbiters of design and functionality are laughable. Your ilk will be the death of Apple if you get your way, same as those who still want a headless Mac.

This man should get "extra points" for the Spiro Agnew quote.  What a classic. :)

• Reply 84 of 98
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes. And the text seems off centre. By a pixel or two. Very obvious in the back "button/shape" in mail.

I'm not seeing that on my iPhone.  It looks like the text is centered in the rectangular part of the "button" and then the arrow is tacked onto the left side.  Looks like the correct choice to me.

• Reply 85 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I'm not seeing that on my iPhone.  It looks like the text is centered in the rectangular part of the "button" and then the arrow is tacked onto the left side.  Looks like the correct choice to me.

Me too.

• Reply 86 of 98
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

I disagree. It's an iOS 7 take on the buttons in ios6.

I don't like floating dainty buttons.

I feel it adds a better sense to the menu buttons. Especially when you're in a moving environment or if your outside. Your eye can quickly gravitate to the buttons.

Also there's a nice little transparent look to them.

I agree that it is much better to have buttons, but this is a shoddy implementation. Using the same gray background for all the buttons ignoring its context makes them impossible to read on applications that use dark text. They could've easily used an outline in the same color as the text in the button so it fits its context, but they actively decided not to do so. Why? I do not understand, it looks careless, lazy and unprofessional. Whoever is the design director for iOS 7 is not doing a great job, or is not a good UI designer.

• Reply 87 of 98
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I totally agree with you. But I still find sad to have to disable it [Control Center] while Siri will not enable Air Plane mode until the device gets unlocked.

Security vs convenience, a quandary, your choice.
  • Reply 88 of 98
    mstone wrote: »
    They went sort of crazy on the circle theme in iOS 7.1. Now it even extends to Spotlight. I really don't care for it. I used to think rounded corners were ok but now I just prefer rectangles like the new Apple home page. They used to have rounded rectangles on the bottom row but now just straight rectangles which looks great. The circles in iOS seems inconsistent with the new Apple design language. Off topic but, whatever are they going to do with that web menu bar?

At least it stopped the whiners going on endlessly about how "stale" iOS was and that, my friend was the best effect of all.
  • Reply 89 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I like all the changes so far. I'd add an optional 'to burst or not to burst' mode for the camera.
  • Reply 90 of 98
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Every time I try to use Siri in my car, my wife starts talking</span>
    …<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>
    …every freaking time!

She feels that her affection is being challenged. It’s a subconscious way of asserting her dominance. Don’t hold it against her.

Try switching to a male Siri voice...
    ...that won't make her feel like you're talking to another woman ;)
  • Reply 91 of 98
    God. They're not correcting that fugly minimalist user interface, are they. I think the ride is over. Its been nice up til now.
  • Reply 92 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MediaPlex View Post

God. They're not correcting that fugly minimalist user interface, are they. I think the ride is over. Its been nice up til now.

What?

Go back to all the "stale" shit again?

• Reply 93 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MediaPlex View Post

Shut up and go away.

• Reply 94 of 98
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away.

For once I agree with you. Minimalist is the way to go

• Reply 95 of 98
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Excellent update. Thank you apple.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    Where did you get that picture on your lock screen where you were showing the "slide to unlock" tweak? I really like it
  • Reply 97 of 98
    This update really disappointed me. I'm a huge fan of iOS but the irreversible changes made in 7.1 really let me down. The now bold keyboard is an eyesore. I wish there was an accessibility option to where you can edit the don't and/or boldness and color of the keyboard. The changes to the call screens are very drastic. I was used to hitting anywhere on the bottom portion of the screen to end a call. But now I have to place my finger on the center of that same bottom portion. Very annoying. Plus the super tiny contact photo is a downgrade. Apple really did wrong in this update. I hope changes come in the updates to come.
  • Reply 98 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zeke3400 View Post

This update really disappointed me. I'm a huge fan of iOS but the irreversible changes made in 7.1 really let me down. The now bold keyboard is an eyesore. I wish there was an accessibility option to where you can edit the don't and/or boldness and color of the keyboard. The changes to the call screens are very drastic. I was used to hitting anywhere on the bottom portion of the screen to end a call. But now I have to place my finger on the center of that same bottom portion. Very annoying. Plus the super tiny contact photo is a downgrade. Apple really did wrong in this update. I hope changes come in the updates to come.

I agree with you on the contact pics thing, though I don't really care too much about it.

But do people really look that closely at the keyboard?  Honestly, I didn't even notice the bold OR the all-caps (which have been there for HOW MANY versions?) until they were pointed out on message boards.