Any info on the SE T-68i phone?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 188
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Hmm, having done a bit of reading about upcoming cell phones and PDAs this morning, I think I'll wait until nearer Christmas before updating my trusty Nokia.

The Sony Ericsson <a href="http://www.sonyericsson.com/P800/"; target="_blank">P800</a> will be out in time for Santa to stuff in my stocking, and hopefully Apple will let us know if it's going to support phones from other manufacturers by then.
  • Reply 22 of 188
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    [quote] 1. How good is the calendar feature of the T68i? Do you think it could replace a moderately used Palm PDA? <hr></blockquote>

Comming from a nokia 6210, the so-called calendar could not be worse. The t68i calendar is a vaste improvement. But that beeing said, it can't match up to the calendar of a palm/Psion/PocketPC. My main issues with the calender is the lack of ability to show all-day and repetitive events. iSync may fix this, but right now its certainly annoying. Not beeing able to give different apointments color codes is also very much missed.

Sending calender events from my phone to my mac is a real hazzle. But this I am sure that iSync will fix. If your a real "poweruser" i'd definatly go for a nokia 7650 (if it will sync with mac) or a ericsson P800. but for normal, everyday use, it will serve fine. The alarms work great, (even when the phone is turned completly off).

[quote] 2. How many contacts and calendar events can the T68i store? In other words, can I expect it to store my couple of hundred contacts and schedule for the next year?<hr></blockquote>

lets see... I've got 37 appointments entered leaving 88% free space for appointments. 7 tasks, leaving 92% free task space. I can easily schedule a meating for next year, and it seems I can do this for the year 2010 too. I've got 195 of 510 contacts on my phone and 91 of 100 on my simcard. I can save 35 email messages (the email feature is great) and 50 voicemails (which I don't use, as my mobile provider has this service).

[quote]3. How good (bad, easy, limited...) is data entry on the phone itself?<hr></blockquote>

using the T9 text entry method takes a while getting used to (if your not familiar with nokia) but is really effective once you get a hang of it (beats the crap out of graphite (pen) text entry). You'll find however, that the way to do this is allways to complete your contact info / appointments on your mac, with a real display and keyboard, so this leaves a lot up to iSync (and simmilar 3rd party providers). right now the software to do this efficiently and painless just isn't there, If iSync delivers what it promisses, I'll be a happy camper. the main issue here is getting the info of your phone and into the computer...

[quote]I'm resisting an impusle buy. But the more I think about the T68i, the more I think it could fit my needs (and replace my Palm PDA). <hr></blockquote>

I threw out my handspring visor a long time ago. I've never looked back. This is certainly the best phone i've had so far. But it still leaves some desires. If nokia can come out with a faster, bluetooth-enabled, SyncML phone in the same size, I'd be interested in checking it out. but both the 7210 and the 6610 are not bluetooth enabled and I've got doubts about their mac-compability (+ they ain't out yet!). If you actually use your palm (and like it) the bigger palm-like bricks, umm... phones, I mean will suite you better. but if you also want it to look cool, this is one of the best phones right now.

[ 09-22-2002: Message edited by: New ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 188
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Escher, check out alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream for coverage info.
  • Reply 24 of 188
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Thanks for your elaborate answers, New. I sincerely appreciate the input. Every positive comment I get brings me one step closer to buying a new mobile phone.

[quote]Originally posted by New:

<strong>I threw out my handspring visor a long time ago. I've never looked back... If you actually use your palm (and like it) the bigger palm-like bricks, umm... phones, I mean will suite you better. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I do "actually use" my Palm, but not nearly to the fullest of its capacity (I have a IIIxe w/ 8MB memory). I use the address book and calendar functions (plus a metric-imperial unit converter), that's it. The main problem with my Palm is that I don't bring it when I don't bring a bag with me. It's just too big for any of my pant pockets (it fits fine in a suit jacket or a coat). So even if the calendar on the T68i isn't quite perfect, the fact that it will fit in my pocket and be with me at all times is much more important.

BTW: Can you load additional programs onto a T68i? In other words, is there 3rd party software for this little beauty? 3rd party software is one of the major advantages of Palm-based "brick" phones (you have to admit that the bricks are getting smaller).

Escher

[ 09-22-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 188
    [quote]Originally posted by wmf:

<strong>Escher, check out alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream for coverage info.</strong><hr></blockquote>

wmf: Neat! Thanks for this very useful pointer. I had no idea that there were newsgroups set up specifically to discuss mobile provider coverage. With the advent of more convenient web forums, I haven't used Usenet in years.

Escher

[ 09-22-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 188
    2 ?'s

a)eshcher

Otherwise, I've been tempted to pick up a T68i with a basic T-Mobile plan. The promotions Amazon.com is offering on this phone are just amazing. The advantage of synchronizing your desktop PIM with your mobile via Bluetooth is obvious.

do you know whcihc plan will give you decent email and ichat bandwidth or if it comes with a basic low cost plan?

b) to everyone with a t68i

do you have the artic blue one? or the blue and greay one. i love the artic blue. the others look sort of boring to me.

yes i am superficial
  • Reply 27 of 188
    [quote]So even if the calendar on the T68i isn't quite perfect, the fact that it will fit in my pocket and be with me at all times is much more important.<hr></blockquote>

The t68i will fit well even in a breastpocket of a shirt. (just don't bend to much, because the sound of it hitting the floor is a nightmare).

[quote]Can you load additional programs onto a T68i? In other words, is there 3rd party software for this little beauty? 3rd party software is one of the major advantages of Palm-based "brick" phones (you have to admit that the bricks are getting smaller).<hr></blockquote>

This is where the t68i comes up short. The OS is not open. nor does it support java, and the memory wouldn't allow much software anyway. If Ericsson (or nokia) could pack SYMBIAN (the os of the nokia 7650 and the ericsson P800) into a phone the size of the t68i, I wouldn't wait a millisecond... But you must think of this as just a phone, a very good phone yes. But no minicomputer with any "computing" ability. The apps. games and filing functions that come with it are great. But there are obvious lacks. like the inability to recieve vcards or calendernotes by mail. Or not beeing able to send an apointment by sms (like nokiaphones), note even as a pure text sms. which is so annoying when you want to invite a person to a meeting you just booked, and have to type it all in twice ... True, the bricks are getting smaller. I held out on the t68i all spring, waiting for the nokia 7650 to arrive. But even with the superior os, I was so disapointed. You can still build small walls with that thing. When that Sony guy appeard in the keynote, I decided for the t68i right away.

If your really in doubt there is no better way to find out then to just go an test it thourgly. If you have the nokia 7650 in the states, you should compare the two.
  • Reply 28 of 188
    Apparently Nokia is announcing its first 3G phone on Thursday.
  • Reply 29 of 188
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>Apparently Nokia is announcing its first 3G phone on Thursday.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Interesting.

I'm looking to upgrade my trusty 8260... Nokia's ID can't be beat, at least not that I've seen yet...

There was a post on the Howard forums a few weeks ago about upcoming Moto phones. Apparently a 3G version of the v60i is coming.

Too bad they can't internalize the antenna of the flip-phone form factor... that'd be ideal.

Vertu it is, it seems...

• Reply 30 of 188
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>I'm looking to upgrade my trusty 8260... Nokia's ID can't be beat, at least not that I've seen yet...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Likewise. I probably won't use a bunch of stuff on it, but I like to futureproof.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Nokia phone having hated the awful prototypes it's shown, and the boring 3G phones currently available in Japan. They're all just fat flippies.

I'm not sure how much I can spend and get away with as an "expense", but I'm thinking the Vertu may be stretching it a little. Especially because my bill is pretty horrendous.

[ 09-23-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 31 of 188
    [quote]Originally posted by wmf:

<strong>Escher, check out alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream for coverage info.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Posted a message on alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream last night and got several helpful answers w/in 24 hours, including two posts about good coverage in Brookland/CUA, where I spend my days toiling away in law school away from my landline.

Of course, I had to download Thoth and refamiliarize myself with Usenet. It's been many years since I last frequented any newsgroups. It's amazing to see so much activity despite severe competition from web bulletin boards.

As you can tell, I don't come at decisions easily. I think the only thing that's holding me up is not having seen and held a T68i in person. Does T-Mobile have bricks-and-mortar stores where I could check out the gear?

Escher
  • Reply 32 of 188
    I've received my d-link usb adapter and I've had my T68i.

Overall, I find the bluetooth feature great, especially with sending your contact info. from your address book to your T68i. Especially easy, using the drag & drop method with the Ericsson Client. It's literally drag and drop. The only presets from the address book that will port over to your phone is "home" "other/custom" "mobile". if the person has a pager number or something, you must enter it into the phone manually as an "other" number. Email addresses are also entered correctly, only the "home" email address though.

I still haven't quite figured out how iCal events are sent/saved on the T68i. Maybe that'll become more clear when iSync is released.
  • Reply 33 of 188
    right now you have to export your calendars first, then drag 'n drop them.

i had a crazy experience with the adress book and my t68i today. I was talking on the phone and looking up a contact in my adress book when I got another incomming call. My phone looked up the incomming number in my adressbook and my ibook asked me if I wanted to answer this other call, send it to voicemail or return a SMS... Totally awsome!!!

I also discovered that you can send your vcards to your phone from within the adressbook or Dial or SMS a person. I repeat: from within the adressebook! Just remember to have the phone bluetooth-enabled when starting the adressbook. I havn't had this much fun in days...
  • Reply 34 of 188
    What a great thread this turned out to be, thanks for your responses everybody. All kinds of juicy info in here.
  • Reply 35 of 188
    [quote]Originally posted by New:

<strong>i had a crazy experience with the adress book and my t68i today. I was talking on the phone and looking up a contact in my adress book when I got another incomming call. My phone looked up the incomming number in my adressbook and my ibook asked me if I wanted to answer this other call, send it to voicemail or return a SMS... Totally awsome!!!

I also discovered that you can send your vcards to your phone from within the adressbook or Dial or SMS a person. I repeat: from within the adressebook! Just remember to have the phone bluetooth-enabled when starting the adressbook. I havn't had this much fun in days... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow. I have to say I haven't been this excited about an iApp in quite a while. There are so many great possibilities for Address Book, iCal, and iSync.

I'm already thinking that support for voice-over-Bluetooth via your Mac's microphone would be very nice indeed.

Please hurry and support more phones, Apple!
  • Reply 36 of 188
    more phones will be great but that's why i bought the t68i.

it seems like its their preferred phone for now.

my bluetooth adapter arrived. just have to pick it up.
  • Reply 37 of 188
    [quote]I'm already thinking that support for voice-over-Bluetooth via your Mac's microphone would be very nice indeed. <hr></blockquote>

What i really want to know is if a bluetooth headset can be used together with the Dlink adapter. Anyone tried this?

Beeing able to work and talk on the phone, using only my mac as the interface would be so cool. You could ofcourse use a regular handsfree. But the bluetooth ones are wireless and have less radiation.
  • Reply 38 of 188
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Mail (with green dots for online buddies)

iCal (integrates with .Mac)

iChat (with Address Book integration)

Address Book (that can manage SMS / phone)

iSync (Friendly with SyncML, at the base of T68x etc.)

GPRS (For when you're far from a computer)

Bluetooth (For when you're close)

.Mac (Integrates with all your iApps)

iApps (integrate with all your iApps!)

Means message the person not the device or the number, automatically at the lowest cost

Means they change a date on your work calendar, and you know about it

Means your data follows you all over the place

Gypsy Harald's Predictions: clever-clever deals between Apple and Cellcos, .Mac suddenly looking like good value, Bluetooth iPod (not for music fellas), next versions of iApps getting SCARY including iPhoto, NO APPLE PDA but a trojan horse iPod and a few other exciting things I could mention.

T68 could do all of this right now ...
  • Reply 39 of 188
    Well, the new Nokia 3G phone is here. The <a href="http://www.nokia.com/phones/6650/"; target="_blank">6650</a>. Well, when I say "here", I mean in Europe. And not until early 2003.

It's interesting, but kind of ugly.
  • Reply 40 of 188
    Yuck.

Wow, that's really hideously ugly.

Ignore all my earlier comments about Nokia's ID being tops in the phone industry.

Only Mr. Ive can save us now...