Live updates at maccentral.com - press conference

Comments

• Reply 121 of 190
    eddivelyeddively Posts: 74member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>

Waaant! Want want want! Xserve, AGP video card, custom rack, Cinema Display, Final Cut Pro. Waaant!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a question. Why would you pick...a rackmount instead of just a plain desktop (assuming you are doing this solo of course), is it just because of the DDR?
  • Reply 122 of 190
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Who thinks Apple can NOW wait until MWNY to introduce desktops w/ DDR ?
  • Reply 123 of 190
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    They're offering the Radeon 8500 as the BTO option.
  • Reply 124 of 190
    power applepower apple Posts: 335member
    [quote]Originally posted by eddively:

<strong>

I have a question. Why would you pick...a rackmount instead of just a plain desktop (assuming you are doing this solo of course), is it just because of the DDR?</strong><hr></blockquote>

As a musician, I have racks of equipment, and the computer would fit perfectly in.

Besides it sounds like a great thing to have 4 ATA-controllers and 4 internal HD's. plenty fast and enough storage for even the most demanding multi-track productions, I think
  • Reply 125 of 190
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    more to the point, i think all the lines will be updated to ddr by macworld ny (with the possible exception of the imac...).

gonna be a good summer, methinks. glad i waited on buying a new cpu (i always say that, though).
  • Reply 125 of 190
    eddivelyeddively Posts: 74member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>They're offering the Radeon 8500 as the BTO option.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Isn't the GeFo 4 Ti better anyways?
  • Reply 127 of 190
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Why is the bus speed listed as 133 if it is using DDR?

[quote] 133MHz system bus supporting over 1GB/s data throughput<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 128 of 190
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by eddively:

<strong>

Isn't the GeFo 4 Ti better anyways?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the Radeon is better than the nVidias for video/MPEG-2 encoding and decoding.
  • Reply 129 of 190
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    BUt it's going to be on a AGP riser? through a PCI slot? Is it going to offer the full AGP functionality of quartz extreme, or do we have yet another 'unsupported' product?
  • Reply 130 of 190
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    Power Mac G4 Server no longer at Apple Store
  • Reply 131 of 190
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Nobody here for the moment is able to answer to this question : is the 7455 able to support DDR ram (and the data sheet from Motorola was missing this important point )or is this G4 an enhanced version of the 7455 with DDR memory controller.
  • Reply 131 of 190
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by timortis:

<strong>Yeah, it's the good(!) old G4 with 133 Mhz bus. They might as well have stuck with SDRAM since DDR in this case won't mean anything.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, actually, I was already sort of expecting that when DDR was first mentioned there. As seen <a href="http://a1888.g.akamai.net/7/1888/51/eeb4f303a56921/www.apple.com/xserve/pdf/XserveTechOverview.pdf"; target="_blank">on page 25 of this Apple PDF</a>, we still have a "133MHz system bus supporting over 1GB/s data throughput". Slightly disappointing of course, but I guess we should keep in mind that, a) in real life scenarios, DDR is far from actually delivering twice the bandwidth, and b) the spare bandwidth might come in handy for all those bus master DMA engines in there (i.e. dual GBit ethernet, quad ATA100, whatever).

Still sounds a little like a marketing trick, though...

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 133 of 190
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    data throughput is 2.1GB for the memory bus. Even if the G4 can't use it, a dual config CAN take advantage because now each G4 can fully saturate it's own bus without choking off the data supply to the other G4. As I understand it, the G4's themselves would still have less than optimal bandwidth, but at least they won't be fighting each other for the memory bandwidth.

And I was sure that OSX supported 4+ GB of main memory. Does Apple have some sort of aversion to 1GB dimms?
  • Reply 133 of 190
    timortistimortis Posts: 149member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>Why is the bus speed listed as 133 if it is using DDR?

Because there are two components that work together. There is the bus from the CPU to the memory controller, which can only run at a speed that the CPU supports. In the case of the current G4 this is limited to 133 Mhz.

Then there's the memory controller itself, and its connection to the memory banks. This new DDR memory controller supports double pumped transfers, so it's effectively 266 Mhz.

Of course, because the CPU bus is only 133 Mhz, the extra bandwidth of the memory will not be utilised, just as the case was with the DDR and Rambus chipsets that came out for the Pentium III. And just like the newer 333 Mhz DDR chipsets aren't improving the performance of the Athlon with 266 Mhz bus.
  • Reply 135 of 190
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>Why is the bus speed listed as 133 if it is using DDR?

Only the data paths from the memory controller to the DRAM slots is double-clocked. The processor front-side bus still is the same od 133MHz bus that's already in the current towers.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 135 of 190
    gafferinogafferino Posts: 68member
    Apple says 4x ATA-100 controller will give theoretical max of 266 MB/s. Shouldn't this be 400 MB/s?
  • Reply 137 of 190
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by spotbug:

<strong>Power Mac G4 Server no longer at Apple Store</strong><hr></blockquote>

Notice how the PowerMac G4s are down at the bottom of the store page with the XServe, and the G3 iMac is up at the top. It's like they're embarrassed about it.
  • Reply 137 of 190
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by RazzFazz:

<strong>

Yeah, actually, I was already sort of expecting that when DDR was first mentioned there. As seen <a href="http://a1888.g.akamai.net/7/1888/51/eeb4f303a56921/www.apple.com/xserve/pdf/XserveTechOverview.pdf"; target="_blank">on page 25 of this Apple PDF</a>, we still have a "133MHz system bus supporting over 1GB/s data throughput". Slightly disappointing of course, but I guess we should keep in mind that, a) in real life scenarios, DDR is far from actually delivering twice the bandwidth, and b) the spare bandwidth might come in handy for all those bus master DMA engines in there (i.e. dual GBit ethernet, quad ATA100, whatever).

Still sounds a little like a marketing trick, though...

Bye,

RazzFazz</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is it possible that one of the G4 access the memory while the cycle of memory is in the raising phase, while the other G4 access the memory on the other phase. It will make 133 mhz per processor but much better than 133 mhz divided by two.
  • Reply 139 of 190
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>data throughput is 2.1GB for the memory bus. Even if the G4 can't use it, a dual config CAN take advantage because now each G4 can fully saturate it's own bus without choking off the data supply to the other G4. As I understand it, the G4's themselves would still have less than optimal bandwidth, but at least they won't be fighting each other for the memory bandwidth.

Nope, that's not true because both G4s share the same front side bus (like the P3, unlike the Athlon).

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 139 of 190
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by timortis:

<strong>

Because there are two components that work together. There is the bus from the CPU to the memory controller, which can only run at a speed that the CPU supports. In the case of the current G4 this is limited to 133 Mhz.

Then there's the memory controller itself, and its connection to the memory banks. This new DDR memory controller supports double pumped transfers, so it's effectively 266 Mhz.

Of course, because the CPU bus is only 133 Mhz, the extra bandwidth of the memory will not be utilised, just as the case was with the DDR and Rambus chipsets that came out for the Pentium III. And just like the newer 333 Mhz DDR chipsets aren't improving the performance of the Athlon with 266 Mhz bus.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So very typical of Apple isn't it? They can be so far ahead of the game in the industrial design and ease of use, and so far behind when it comes to the guts inside. It's like they just do not want to incorporate all kinds of new technologies at once, they want to drag them out over years. We have PC's pushing 500MHz bus speeds. We are in 2002 and we finally have DDR ram but the system bus is still a sick slow 133. With Apple it's always one step forward, two steps back.

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>