How Android lost global open market share to Apple's integrated iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 266
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jj.yuan wrote: »
    This listed "FaceTime", by Apple, in the Paid column, along with apps like "Final Cut Pro", "Cinemagraph Pro", etc. I am surprised. Isn't FaceTime free?

Did you misread Facetune for FaceTime?
  • Reply 22 of 266
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member

I think the biggest thing to take out of this article (besides seeing the past systems running smartphones) is that Samsung is hedging their bets on Android by moving forward with Tizen. 

Apple and iOS won't be the determining factor on whether Android will continue to be a viable platform, it will be on what Samsung (the only one making money on the Android side) runs their devices. If they leave Android, then Android will die as a full fledged alternative. It may live on the cheap phones, but development for those customers will fizzle away.

• Reply 23 of 266
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    My first smartphone, back in 2003, was a Sony Ericsson P900i, and I've used nothing but smartphones ever since. Your revisionist history of pre-2007 smartphone market is so full of twisted facts and guesswork that it's laughable.

Not that many will spot this invented history. Very few people cared about smartphones before the iPhones and so are ignorant to what went on before 2007.
  • Reply 24 of 266
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

Every smart guy who tries both Android and iPhone is next upgrade will just be an iPhone! 

here an example that he will notice:

iPhone 5s

Big Feature: You have a feature that no one has "The Hardware and Softaware configuration" that alone cost way more than 1000 $

Processor: you get A7 chip -World's most advanced mobile processor

Camera: you get an iPhone 5 camera "World's most popular camera" with cool features like SloMo and bigger specs

Fingerprint Sensor: World's most advanced Fingerprint Scanner

Design: On of the lightest and thinnest smartphone out there with a gorgeous design of alumunium and for f!!!k sake you even have sapphire diamond in it

Display: one of the most or probably the gorgeous displays out there second after the iPad Air

-No HD please stop living in the past move your butt back in the present that was cool five years ago when Blu-Ray launced

SD card Slot: don't be selfish

OS: Android 4.4 Kit Kat vs iOS 7 "That is not fair how about Kit Kat vs iOS 7.1 or iOS 8" 

• Reply 25 of 266
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did you misread Facetune for FaceTime?

I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear. It's the Mac app FaceTime that's Paid.

• Reply 26 of 266
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    "Security isn't a core value for Android. Google's ideological bent toward "openness" precludes real security, forcing vendors like Samsung to tack on cumbersome security diapers like Knox to clean up the embarrassing leaks Google has permitted its hippie star child to roll in because it didn't want to impose too many boundaries."

:D Dilger is reaching new heights in his vivid imagery and turns of phrase! Now that he's dealt with "Number One", I can hardly wait to read his next installment. Can he write a single sentence that includes "Number Two", Android and Depends?
  • Reply 27 of 266
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Last year Apple launched iPhone 5s with a modern 64-bit Application Processor and deeply integrated, secure support for Touch ID fingerprint unlocking and purchase authentication. Google had struggled for years trying to implement its own Google Wallet micro-purchasing system for Android using inferior NFC technology paired to various Android devices that suffered a variety of security and incompatibility issues.

DED seems to be venturing further and further away from sanity. I look forward to his doubtless forthcoming comparison of Google Maps and the accelerometer functionality on iOS.

• Reply 28 of 266
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    kibitzer wrote: »
    "Security isn't a core value for Android.

I think he was referring to mis-translated (from English to French and back to English :\) comments supposedly made by Google's Android chief, Pinchar. The actual comments were posted the next day but I don't know that he ever acknowledged it. No matter really as it wouldn't have changed the article.
  • Reply 29 of 266

This whole article seems rather silly saying how great Apple, iPhones and iOS is considering Google is said to be the future of the internet and everything else.  Compared to Google and Android, Apple is seen as a failing company.  Apple is definitely considered a doomed company with relatively low shareholder value based on continued loss of iPhone market share to Android.  Almost no one sees Apple as being able to sustain its profits and many claim Apple will be simply put out of business within a few years as all their products are commoditized.  People seem to be overlooking the fact that Google is worth $1200 a share while Apple is struggling to hold $530 a share.  No intelligent investor has any faith in Apple being able to deliver new products and most believe that a high-end iPhone isn't any better than the common Android smartphone.  No matter how many iPhones Apple sells, it's never nearly enough to keep pace with Android smartphone sales and that is seen as a major failing.

I honestly don't see how anyone can say that Apple is a better company than Google is when Google has the strongest backing on Wall Street.  Market share remains the most important measure of how well a company is doing and Apple looks pretty sick based on shrinking market share.  Doesn't it make sense that investors put their money on a company that looks like a winner?  Apple certainly does not look like a winner from an investor's point of view.  I have no doubt that Apple is making the most revenue and profits at the moment but nearly everyone claims those days are practically over.  I'm a long-term Apple shareholder but even from my point of view Apple seems like a struggling company with nearly no one backing the company.  It's never been said that Google is a dying company.  Apple holds that title.  Apple definitely doesn't get any respect as a company without Steve Jobs around.  Tim Cook doesn't seem fit to be Apple's CEO.  Apple seems to be throwing away so many opportunities to give itself a solid future despite sitting on a huge mountain of cash.  I've just about given up on Apple as the company looks like it's being run into the ground.

• Reply 30 of 266
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jj.yuan wrote: »
    I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear. It's the Mac app FaceTime that's Paid.

I think Facetime for the Mac is .99 isn't it?
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/20733672#20733672
  • Reply 31 of 266
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

These fiction pieces are even better than the science fiction books you can buy in the iBook Store

Sucks being a Softie these days, eh Gwydion? Or are you the first of a new breed of whinny Fandroids?

• Reply 32 of 266
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

DED seems to be venturing further and further away from sanity. I look forward to his doubtless forthcoming comparison of Google Maps and the accelerometer functionality on iOS.

Now Apple Maps and Google Maps are almost indentical good but also we have to keep in mind that's 10 yrs vs 2 yrs 

• Reply 33 of 266
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    richl wrote: »
    My first smartphone, back in 2003, was a Sony Ericsson P900i, and I've used nothing but smartphones ever since. Your revisionist history of pre-2007 smartphone market is so full of twisted facts and guesswork that it's laughable.

Not that many will spot this invented history. Very few people cared about smartphones before the iPhones and so are ignorant to what went on before 2007.

Symbian phones, like the P900 did dominate, towards the end Nokia alone had 60% of the smartphone market, everything from the budget 6120 through the E and N series.

The N95 was their last successful phone, in terms of money making, the N96, N97 was their death knell as even though they were selling as many phones as ever, the average price went into free fall.

Methinks you have no idea on this subject.
  • Reply 34 of 266
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Apple should implement fully-functional USB ports (not proprietary crippled ones) on iOS devices, besides a decent fie system showing all files (not hiding them), no more sandboxing between files and specific applications (let and application open and write to any file it can), no more iTunes requirements for basically everything (set it free), and jailbreak it all (no more limitations!) by default.

In other words, iOS should behave as much as possible as Mac (with specific optimizations for a touch interface, of course), because the Mac interface is far superior. I want freedom and full control over the device and OS, not the other way around. Otherwise, it is a deal breaker!

Here is what you fail to understand and this is coming from a techie/engineer who know his way around a computer system and debugs problems without the need of starting form scratch.

Apple is not interested in you as customer, they do not care if the geek crowd can play around inside the phone and the file system. You are a small minority of the customers in the world, believe it of not you represent only about 5% of the world population.

I know this is hard for geeks to understand, if you want to make money and not give your stuff away, who would you sell and market to, the 5% like you or the 95% who do not care about anything that you outline as deal breakers. I have the benefit of year of working in this industry not understand why what appears to be completely obvious must do's in a product only find out people will not pay for it nor do they care about it.

• Reply 35 of 266
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Apple should implement fully-functional USB ports (not proprietary crippled ones) on iOS devices

They do, and always have since the beginning. Problem solved.

…besides a decent fie system showing all files (not hiding them)…

I bet Mac OS X makes you FURIOUS, huh? And Windows. And all flavors of Linux. Oh, and Android, too.

…no more sandboxing between files and specific applications (let and application open and write to any file it can)…

So… you want an operating system that is EXACTLY LIKE HOW IT IS TODAY, except the user gets to see dozens of extra files in each application that that application CANNOT OPEN, wasting visual space and serving only to confuse and dishearten the user.

…no more iTunes requirements for basically everything…

You don’t get it at all.

…and jailbreak it all…

And you’re completely bonkers.

In other words, iOS should behave as much as possible as Mac…

So you’ve never used a Mac, then.

Quote:

…because the Mac interface is far superior. 

While we’re at it, why don’t we make it so iOS can only be used with a cursor, huh? Plug a mouse into one of those magical “fully featured USB ports” and have at it.

Otherwise, it is a deal breaker!  

Enjoy never buying any computer running any operating system from any manufacturer.

• Reply 36 of 266
    crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 128member

Great article, though I don't know why would you even compare iOS to Android? Apple has a completely unique procedure of working. They see the future better than any other company (and this has been proved many times). They design products that are beautiful, easy-to-use and and that sing the ballads of quality. Google on the other hand seized just one great opportunity (the internet search), and well, has been playing the catch-up part ever since on every other front they try to bag.

It's like comparing Jaguar E-type to a Lincoln Town Car - one was a British design so immaculate, it instantly became the standard definition of 'beauty', the other, was some car that just happened to be 'made' cheaply for the masses. It doesn't matter if the Lincoln sold 10 times as much, it doesn't even come close to the former.

• Reply 37 of 266
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

Android is going DOWN!  it is just like Java and it will soon be as unpopular as Windows among us premium buyers.  Nobody has ever made a dime selling Android.  Not even Google.  They will abandon it soon.

• Reply 38 of 266
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member
    Interesting article. I too did not know how prominent Sun was in the mobile field.

I cannot wait to see what Tizen does to Google's advertising revenue base. If Google does not diversify its income to be less dependent on Android deployment, its commercial viability and perceived potential for growth will collapse. I'd like to see the figures for where that tipping point is and whether a non-Google-Ad tied Tizen would be enough to reach it.

My concern is that without significant competition from Google, Apple will get complacent. Programming standards at Apple appear to have suffered in the last couple of years (e.g. try writing an App Store review on an iPhone in portrait mode and watch the cursor hide under the keyboard as the review gets longer). Inconsistencies in the interface have crept in. The golden standard of GUI redundancy (more ways to do similar things so the user can develop a personalized use-style) have been eroded. iOS is still head and shoulders better than Android in GUI consistency but I believe competition is essential to get Apple to maintain good human factors.

Apple loses market share to Android with switchers who buy in to the advertising hype tactics from the likes of Samsung. Subsequently, some percentage of switchers get annoyed at difficult to use facilities and come back but the drain is still there. Android marketing is "in your face" and compelling. The notion that if it is necessary to pay so much to advertise your product that there must be something fundamentally wrong with it appears to be hardly considered by the buying public (until the product is tried and rejected (or worse, tried and put up with)). The use of sales kick-backs that effectively buy a biased external sales force also plays into a loss of sales for iOS (not that I would ask Apple to do similar). I wonder if Apple could play to the outrage of the customer who discovers that the sales person is pushing Android over IOS, not because it is a better product or offers a better user experience, but because they're being paid to do so by the device manufacturer.

And, while I'm on a rant (sorry)… where's my 3D GUI already? Closest thing I've seen to real use of 3D in iOS is the "select a page" view in Safari. How about letting me navigate my files by wandering through a desktop landscape? Get the brain to kick in a few cycles and take some strain off the graphics engines - all that MMRPG design expertise must have some cross over.
  • Reply 39 of 266
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhart376 View Post

I usually like the editorials but this one if off the deep side and not at all balanced.  Android is now an ecosystem like iOS and unlike Symbian, etc.  It and iOS will both have staying power for a long time as consumers are invested in both.    One does not have to fail for other to succeed.  You will likely see share shift back and forth over the coming years.  Apple can grow from 20% of market to 40% over the years but Android won't be going the way of Symbian for a long time - especially since Apple won't take on the low end at all.  I think a larger Apple phone will mean more to consumers than 64 bit.  After that, it will be their ability to make iBeacon and payments relevant so you will really want an Apple phone or be missing out on more things.  

Android is hardly like iOS in terms of ecosystem. First of all, you need a singular platform in order to build a viable ecosystem around and Android is broken into many different platforms that all have unique hardware features and services. You have the "pure" Android experience in Google's Nexus line. Motorola had some very unique hardware features in their Droid line. And although Samsung seems to act like they're "pure" Android, they have many of their own services and hardware devices that only work within their Galaxy ecosystem. And then there's Amazon, who's Kindle is so far removed from what Android is, it shouldn't even be considered an Android device (they forked Android years ago to create their FireOS). The fact is, Android is more of an OS for building platforms than platform itself, which is actually a good thing. Unfortunately, all Android-based devices are grouped together whether they're compatible with each other or not. It's misleading from a development point-of-view where you might want to target the largest section of a market to get more "bang for your buck" so to speak.

Apple's iOS ecosystem is built around hardware, software/OS, and services and their ability to control, maintain, and advance them. They have the largest compatible installed base that developers of software, hardware peripherals, services, and makers of accessories can target. Not only that they have the largest pool of users who have money and are willing spend it. Combine all these things together and you end up with a thriving, sustainable ecosystem - regardless of marketshare numbers.

As far as Android going away... Android currently enjoys brand recognition, so of course OEMs are going to flock to it. But they can change their course just as quickly as they did with Symbian; all that needs to happen is a viable alternative is released on the market and gains some notoriety. Android struggled for its first year, because promises were made by both Nokia and Microsoft that they will soon have an OS that could compete with the iPhone. After waiting too long for this to happen, all the OEMs switched to Android and it only took a year. Furthermore, a vast majority of people who use an Android device, don't even give a crap that it's Android - they were only interested in the price of the device.

Android's biggest problem is of course Samsung, who over the course of the last 3 or 4 years have done everything to emulate Apple's business model. What google needs to worry about is that Samsung goes the next step and switched its flagship line to their own OS - Tizen. Over time, that could trickle down to cheaper and cheaper phones severely cutting into Android's marketshare.

• Reply 40 of 266
    tl;dr version: Android arr1!!1 bad Google malware viruses arrrr!!1 no profit suckers arrrrrg!!!13 Apple rulez I fanboy woop woop!