How Android lost global open market share to Apple's integrated iOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

This whole article seems rather silly saying how great Apple, iPhones and iOS is considering Google is said to be the future of the internet and everything else.  Compared to Google and Android, Apple is seen as a failing company.  Apple is definitely considered a doomed company with relatively low shareholder value based on continued loss of iPhone market share to Android.  Almost no one sees Apple as being able to sustain its profits and many claim Apple will be simply put out of business within a few years as all their products are commoditized.  People seem to be overlooking the fact that Google is worth $1200 a share while Apple is struggling to hold $530 a share.  No intelligent investor has any faith in Apple being able to deliver new products and most believe that a high-end iPhone isn't any better than the common Android smartphone.  No matter how many iPhones Apple sells, it's never nearly enough to keep pace with Android smartphone sales and that is seen as a major failing.

I honestly don't see how anyone can say that Apple is a better company than Google is when Google has the strongest backing on Wall Street.  Market share remains the most important measure of how well a company is doing and Apple looks pretty sick based on shrinking market share.  Doesn't it make sense that investors put their money on a company that looks like a winner?  Apple certainly does not look like a winner from an investor's point of view.  I have no doubt that Apple is making the most revenue and profits at the moment but nearly everyone claims those days are practically over.  I'm a long-term Apple shareholder but even from my point of view Apple seems like a struggling company with nearly no one backing the company.  It's never been said that Google is a dying company.  Apple holds that title.  Apple definitely doesn't get any respect as a company without Steve Jobs around.  Tim Cook doesn't seem fit to be Apple's CEO.  Apple seems to be throwing away so many opportunities to give itself a solid future despite sitting on a huge mountain of cash.  I've just about given up on Apple as the company looks like it's being run into the ground.

You confuse me.  You go on and on with all these negatives about AAPL, but then you call yourself a "long-term Apple shareholder".  If you really believe all the negative things you wrote, then you need to sell your AAPL immediately (and presumably buy GOOG with the proceeds).  But if, through your own free will, you decide to hold your AAPL, then you need to provide some balance in your posts and share with us the reasons WHY you choose to hold AAPL, despite your overwhelmingly negative assessment. 

Which is it?  Show us some coherence.

• Reply 42 of 266
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by victorson 

tl;dr version: Android arr1!!1 bad Google malware viruses arrrr!!1 no profit suckers arrrrrg!!!13 Apple rulez I fanboy woop woop!

I see Samsung has kept up its “Free paint chips with every purchase” campaign.

• Reply 43 of 266
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Now Apple Maps and Google Maps are almost indentical good but also we have to keep in mind that's 10 yrs vs 2 yrs 

I think you misunderstood me slightly - I was parodying his comparison of Google Wallet's NFC efforts (which is a way to pay for items in a shop via a NFC reader device linked to your credit details on the phone) with Apple's Touch ID purchases (which is a way to pay for items in the Apple Store using fingerprint instead of password). The two things aren't remotely similar - to compare them is like comparing Maps (which is an application using GPS and wi-fi to triangulate your location and show mapping data) with the accelerometer (which is a hardware device that detects movement of the phone). 

If he wanted to compare Google Play purchasing with App Store purchasing, that'd be fine - I think the ability to use Touch ID is a pretty nifty feature and it's something Google Play lacks. But Apple doesn't have any services like Google Wallet's NFC - the closest thing is probably Passbook, but even so that's not quite the same thing. It's not a comparison that's valid or helpful.

• Reply 44 of 266
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's particularly notable that in 2013, the year that certain members of the media began fighting over who could shout "Apple isn't innovating" louder and more incessantly, was the same year that Google completely failed to launch an ambitious new Android 5.0 to counter Apple's own significantly new iOS 7 release. The tech media has been curiously silent about that lack of "innovation."

Instead, Google just quietly bumped its Android platform down a notch to better work on the low end types of hardware that Android is actually shipping on. 

I've never before seen improved memory-efficiency spun as a minus.

• Reply 45 of 266
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Market share remains the most important measure of how well a company is doing...

BWHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhaha *breathe* HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAhaha *cough* ha *cough**cough* hahahaha
  • Reply 46 of 266
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This whole article seems rather silly saying how great Apple, iPhones and iOS is considering Google is said to be the future of the internet and everything else.  Compared to Google and Android, Apple is seen as a failing company.  Apple is definitely considered a doomed company with relatively low shareholder value based on continued loss of iPhone market share to Android.  Almost no one sees Apple as being able to sustain its profits and many claim Apple will be simply put out of business within a few years as all their products are commoditized.  People seem to be overlooking the fact that Google is worth $1200 a share while Apple is struggling to hold $530 a share.  No intelligent investor has any faith in Apple being able to deliver new products and most believe that a high-end iPhone isn't any better than the common Android smartphone.  No matter how many iPhones Apple sells, it's never nearly enough to keep pace with Android smartphone sales and that is seen as a major failing.

I honestly don't see how anyone can say that Apple is a better company than Google is when Google has the strongest backing on Wall Street.  Market share remains the most important measure of how well a company is doing and Apple looks pretty sick based on shrinking market share.  Doesn't it make sense that investors put their money on a company that looks like a winner?  Apple certainly does not look like a winner from an investor's point of view.  I have no doubt that Apple is making the most revenue and profits at the moment but nearly everyone claims those days are practically over.  I'm a long-term Apple shareholder but even from my point of view Apple seems like a struggling company with nearly no one backing the company.  It's never been said that Google is a dying company.  Apple holds that title.  Apple definitely doesn't get any respect as a company without Steve Jobs around.  Tim Cook doesn't seem fit to be Apple's CEO.  Apple seems to be throwing away so many opportunities to give itself a solid future despite sitting on a huge mountain of cash.  I've just about given up on Apple as the company looks like it's being run into the ground.

Translation:

Apple is doomed - for proof, look at their share price.

By the way, I'm stupid enough to buy and hold some.
  • Reply 47 of 266
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

BWHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhaha *breathe* HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAhaha *cough* ha *cough**cough* hahahaha

Agreed.

Either Constable Odo is a next level troll, or he has absolutely no knowledge of how a business works, in which case I suggest he sell his dirty, low-yield stock immediately, before AAPL drops even further.

• Reply 48 of 266
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

For Real? 

• Reply 49 of 266
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

Is it just me or this page is moving slowly i feel lag in it when i scroll maybe because of those android users who posted comments here 

• Reply 50 of 266
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    imember wrote: »
    Is it just me or this page is moving slowly i feel lag in it when i scroll maybe because of those android users who posted comments here 

The experience I get from this forum makes me think the whole site is being run on Android.
  • Reply 51 of 266

Someone on here has a signature "The only thing more insecure than Android is its users". This whole editorial smacks of insecurity :-)

• Reply 52 of 266
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    "Google's ideological bent toward "openness" precludes real security"

While most of the article is dead on, the quote above is utter garbage.
    Security and openness are not only not contradictions, openness is a prerequisite for security, because without peer reviewed code there is no security, there's just obscurity and blind trust.
    However, openness cannot make up for bad design, lack of care and priorities other than security (such as spying on users to better target ads).
    So, no problem criticizing Android, but don't make up ridiculous and blatantly wrong claims while doing so; anyone in computer security is laughing at you for a phrase like the one quoted above...
  • Reply 53 of 266
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The experience I get from this forum makes me think the whole site is being run on Android.

Dude was joke, maybe i don't know i can't tell i'm using Windows right now to me everything lags 

• Reply 54 of 266
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Dude was joke, maybe i don't know i can't tell i'm using Windows right now to me everything lags 

I know, and now I'm having yet another laugh.
  • Reply 55 of 266
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Android is hardly like iOS in terms of ecosystem. First of all, you need a singular platform in order to build a viable ecosystem around and Android is broken into many different platforms that all have unique hardware features and services. You have the "pure" Android experience in Google's Nexus line. Motorola had some very unique hardware features in their Droid line. And although Samsung seems to act like they're "pure" Android, but they have many of their own services and hardware devices that only work within their Galaxy ecosystem. And then there's Amazon, who's Kindle is so far removed from what Android is, it shouldn't even be considered an Android device (they forked Android years ago to create their FireOS). The fact is, Android is more of an OS for building platforms than platform itself, which is actually a good thing. Unfortunately, all Android-based devices are grouped together whether they're compatible with each other or not. It's misleading from a development point-of-view where you might want to target the largest section of a market to get more "bang for your buck" so to speak.

Apple's iOS ecosystem is built around hardware, software/OS, and services and their ability to control, maintain, and advance them. They have the largest compatible installed base that developers of software, hardware peripherals, services, and makers of accessories can target. Not only that they have the largest pool of users who have money and are willing spend it. Combine all these things together and you end up with a thriving, sustainable ecosystem - regardless of marketshare numbers.

To your point, and this what most people who praise android for. You look at all the hardware accessory for IOS devices, they have all direct lightning or the 30 pin connectors on them so you can plug in use and charge the device, these same accessories also have a Aux or line in on them so you can also use android or other device which a mini phono jack on them. Notice now of those devices have a mini USB, why, simple every manufacture puts their Mini USB part in various location on the android device. Even with in the same manufacturer they do not put their ports in the same place so it does not allow for standardization and reduced development costs.

The other side of the issue here is the fact the investment world rather not see standards, since if you had a standard then you not replacing your accessories all the time as people in the Android world has to do. Android generate more turn over in products thus making more money for companies. In Apple world things get handed down or reused over and over again so apple make all the money because people stay with them.

• Reply 56 of 266
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

How can this article be true. Android has NFC. 

• Reply 57 of 266
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Now Apple Maps and Google Maps are almost indentical good but also we have to keep in mind that's 10 yrs vs 2 yrs 

They didn't start from scratch. They had previously made the app from Google's data, and now they're using someone else's.
  • Reply 58 of 266
    jas99jas99 Posts: 143member
    Nice article. Lots of research went into this, obviously.

It's not sensationalistic, however, so major news outlets won't pick it up. This article is a wet blanket tossed on the "Android is taking over" marketshare fire that continues to be the dominant story in the media.
  • Reply 59 of 266
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JAS99 View Post

Nice article. Lots of research went into this, obviously.

It's not sensationalistic, however, so major news outlets won't pick it up. This article is a wet blanket tossed on the "Android is taking over" marketshare fire that continues to be the dominant story in the media.

You forgot the /s

• Reply 60 of 266
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    There's room for both, because iOS is aimed at being new and better: tossing out assumptions to make an easier-to-use, more productive platform than traditional PCs. But Android is aimed at being more like traditional PCs: hackable, moddable, yes--all good things for some--but also harder to use, more complex, easier to attack, and harder to develop for profitably.

Each has different pluses and minuses. Moddability will always have appeal, and a free OS given away to handset makers will too.

So each will have a long life. What shape Android's will take is an interesting mysetery!