How Android lost global open market share to Apple's integrated iOS

Comments

• Reply 101 of 266
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

It's truly disgusting to see that Samsung became the leader in Android phones by stealing. Why didn't others succeed otherwise? HTC, Nokia and others played by the rules and are now in a bad spot mainly because Samsung took advantage of the situation illegally. And now they are just making clones of Google apps, and will soon leave on their own adventure, after having taken advantage of Google's ecosystem. I hope they burn, and I think they will, knowing how incapable they are of doing quality stuff, see their lame smartwatch.

HTC has always made some nice devices and brought innovation to the industry, I would have liked for them to be in the top spot.

Even their 2014 HTC One is so much more appealing than Samsung's Galaxy S5.  It has great design and utilizes a chassis made from a single block of aluminium.  The Galaxy S5 looks cheap in comparison.

• Reply 102 of 266
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

The normal Micro USB 2.0 is the larger half of that plug.  

Some devices support the high speed Micro USB 3.0, so it has that extra bit on the plug. 

You can still use a Micro USB 2.0 plug with a Micro USB 3.0 device. 

So how many lightning connectors are in the wild compared to this, which I've only ever seen with the note 3?

• Reply 103 of 266
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    clemynx wrote: »
    It's truly disgusting to see that Samsung became the leader in Android phones by stealing. Why didn't others succeed otherwise? HTC, Nokia and others played by the rules and are now in a bad spot mainly because Samsung took advantage of the situation illegally. And now they are just making clones of Google apps, and will soon leave on their own adventure, after having taken advantage of Google's ecosystem. I hope they burn, and I think they will, knowing how incapable they are of doing quality stuff, see their lame smartwatch.

Motorola gave up a early lead to Samsung by releasing uninspiring devices. Moto even led the charge of big screen devices and was unable to capitalize on it.
  • Reply 104 of 266
    Love your articles!
    Finally someone points out the tragic disappearance of Symbian and Java ME.
    But that's not Android, oh no.
    The world is full of lies and greed.
    Don't let it get you down.
  • Reply 105 of 266
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Except that you're ignoring the fact that Google mines a ton of data from iOS users. Even if a user switches to a iPhone from a Android one they're going to download every Google app there is and except for Google's cut of apps that user will still be a source of revenue.

Google does mine data from all of its users (as does Facebook, Twitter and every other ad network, including Apple’s iAd). However, that’s not the real problem. The issue on Android is that users have very little control about what data apps have access to, because the entire platform was designed to harvest data for Google without any real regard to user privacy or security.

On iOS, Google’s ability to harvest data is much more tightly controlled. That’s a problem for Android because the valuable segments of the smartphone and tablet market are now off limits or tightly restricted by iOS, while Android sits on a large but much less useful market for data collection. 

The issue isn’t privacy, but rather the ability of Android to generate enough value for Google to sustain its development. Without iOS, Android makes sense. With iOS taking the valuable segment of the market, Android not only gets less valuable data, but has also triggered the restrictions in iOS that keep Google from accessing data on Apple’s users. 

Without Android, Google would likely have remained Apple’s key partner in Maps, Search and other areas. So Android has little positive value for Google and has created significant negative value. This is not even referencing any privacy issues. 

• Reply 106 of 266
    Very nice article!

Just a hypothetical question - what will happen to Android if Apple allows OEM very very selected set partners - say Samsung and Sony.

I think Apple should do it ... it will finish of Android in a day.
  • Reply 107 of 266
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So how many lightning connectors are in the wild compared to this, which I've only ever seen with the note 3?

As of now, not that many.  Micro USB 3.0 is relatively new on mobile devices (tablets and smartphones), but it has been used for quite sometime on portable hard drives.

Lenovo's ThinkPad 8 uses Micro USB 3.0.  Other high-end Windows tablets will also be using the connector.

In the smartphone department, Samsung's Galaxy S5 will be using a micro USB 3.0.image

• Reply 108 of 266
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    ws11 wrote: »
    As of now, not that many.  Micro USB 3.0 is relatively new on mobile devices (tablets and smartphones), but it has been used for quite sometime on portable hard drives.

Lenovo's ThinkPad 8 uses Micro USB 3.0.  Other high-end Windows tablets will also be using the connector.

In the smartphone department, Samsung's Galaxy S5 will be using a micro USB 3.0.clear.gif

Yes, most external hard drives have had that plug for more than a year.

Oh, and yes, HTC makes some interesting and original designs. At least they tried to do something different. But now that they found a design they like with the One, they are sticking with it this year. And yet I've seen no one complain about it on Android forums for the moment. When Apple does the same for every S iteration, people complain too much.

I'm excited to see what kind of new design Jonathan Ive will bring his year.
  • Reply 109 of 266
    Without Android, Google would likely have remained Apple’s key partner in Maps, Search and other areas. So Android has little positive value for Google and has created significant negative value. This is not even referencing any privacy issues. 

While that's true, there's also the possibility that Apple could have ended that partnership like they're doing with Corning. Was Google to wait for that possible scenario to happen before making their own platform? By then it would've been too late to gain any type of market share. IMHO they've done a bad job with it, but I understand why they did it. I don't for a second think 'open' was the way to go.
  • Reply 110 of 266
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jadhvaryu View Post

Very nice article!

Just a hypothetical question - what will happen to Android if Apple allows OEM very very selected set partners - say Samsung and Sony.

That would be the end of Apple IMO

• Reply 111 of 266
    jadhvaryu wrote: »
    Very nice article!

So you want to have over 90% market share like MS had with Windows? It wasn't good then, and it wouldn't be good now.
  • Reply 112 of 266
    hungover wrote: »
    There is an alternative theory, namely that she had been hit on the head by a window frame during a tornado, knocked unconscious and just happened to be having an elaborate dream about characters that just happened to look like members of her extended family.

I shall let you decide which version you would rather believe but if you, or anyone else is interested I am happy to post you magic beans in return for a cow or bitcoins (depending on which is worth more at the time of transaction).  ;-)  

Exactly, the clicking of her heels didn't make her dreams come true it woke her from one.
  • Reply 113 of 266
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Google does mine data from all of its users (as does Facebook, Twitter and every other ad network, including Apple’s iAd). However, that’s not the real problem. The issue on Android is that users have very little control about what data apps have access to, because the entire platform was designed to harvest data for Google without any real regard to user privacy or security.

See if you can borrow a more recent Android phone from someone.Touch settings, then under "Accounts" find "Google". From there you can turn off Location Reporting, deny access to Location History, opt out of Interest-based Ads, turn off Web History, disable Personal Results, remove Contacts from search results, and disable Google Now. Via Settings even built-in apps can selectively be turned off or your Google Account permissions turned off altogether. Users may have a little more control than you realize.
  • Reply 114 of 266
    If you read RoughlyDrafted articles from 2004-2010, you’ll find the same sort of caustic contempt from readers just like you who complained the exact same things about Microsoft, and how it wasn’t going to do anything but continue the 1990s into forever. They ended up all being wrong, too.

I merely suggested that if you stay on topic and avoid the long list of unnecessary disparaging remarks, you can criticize Google and Android until your keyboard breaks and come out with a good article that emphasizes weak points while maintaining a degree objectivity. It will go a long way to getting your articles cited by other authors, which will help bring in more clicks and make you feel pretty good too.
  • Reply 115 of 266
    ws11 wrote: »
    HTC has always made some nice devices and brought innovation to the industry, I would have liked for them to be in the top spot.

Even their 2014 HTC One is so much more appealing than Samsung's Galaxy S5.  It has great design and utilizes a chassis made from a single block of aluminium.  The Galaxy S5 looks cheap in comparison.

verizon-all-new-htc-one-2014.jpg?ad983a 

I know a few iPhone people that tried the HTC One and returned them, not because they didn't like the actual device but because HTC's Sense skin was too busy for them. Let the user decide if they want a 'busy' device.
  • Reply 116 of 266

The Google Witnesses always leaving "Search Tower" converting comments. 

• Reply 117 of 266
    philgarphilgar Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

"Security isn't a core value for Android. Google's ideological bent toward "openness" precludes real security, forcing vendors like Samsung to tack on cumbersome security diapers like Knox to clean up the embarrassing leaks Google has permitted its hippie star child to roll in because it didn't want to impose too many boundaries."

image Dilger is reaching new heights in his vivid imagery and turns of phrase! Now that he's dealt with "Number One", I can hardly wait to read his next installment. Can he write a single sentence that includes "Number Two", Android and Depends?

ah yes, apple is more secure because of the whole Security through obscurity tactics...  All The best security researchers agree that security through obscurity/closed platforms is superior.  I mean, it's not like their implementation of SSL was broken for a couple of years or anything...

Phil

• Reply 118 of 266
    Bla bla bla, doesn't matter what way you spin it, Android is massive and out selling iOS in most of the world.

I am far from an Android fan but its a fact. Its enabled cheap phones with a lot of functionality and that's what a lot of people want. People can point to profit levels and other comparisons but ultimately the guys at Google just want to ship more than Apple and Microsoft. I don't think they overly care how much profit they make. Once your passed a certain level the game is to try and destroy your competitor. And what bigger game could Google currently play than destroying MS in the desktop and Apple in phones.
  • Reply 119 of 266
    SSDD. DED is a hack of the first magnitude.
  • Reply 120 of 266
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    I see Samsung has kept up its “Free paint chips with every purchase” campaign.

I was going to go with "retarded pirate", but the paint chip thing works for me.