Google unveils Android Wear software platform for smart watches and wearables

Comments

• Reply 21 of 123
    This is the cure for geeks with not enough gadgets. Meanwhile, the rest of the world continues to wait for the next iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 123
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You answered your own question.

Maybe I read to much into you OG comment. I just hate seeing people say that everyone is coping Apple in this particular segment. Wearable have been around for a long time.

• Reply 23 of 123
    Do we really need this product?
    Will this product add something to our life?
  • Reply 24 of 123
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'm actually shocked at what it might look like. While there's been all these different concepts including bands with scrolling displays, some flexible, this one actually looks like. . .

a watch. Maybe everyone else has been over-thinking it.

Or, more likely, google is under-thinking it, as seems to be their MO. Put out a half thought out concept and let the market figure out the details.
  • Reply 25 of 123
    Cool, still a novel concept, but predictable. Not very original. Style is certainly going to be a significant aspect of e watches, more so than other tech products, but this concept doesn't make much sense to me. Watches were round because this is the best use of space for a device with rotating "hands." The usable space is very small relative to a squared off area.

Hilarious, there're more troll posts on this thread than legitimate ones. Get a life people.
  • Reply 26 of 123
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Motorola Moto 360 coming this summer. Oh yeah, that is simply GORGEOUS!!!!!

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2014/03/moto-360-its-time.html

• Reply 27 of 123
    [LEFT][/LEFT]I consider myself a pretty forward thinking person when it comes to tech, and I'm sorry but I just don't see the implementation in most of the scenarios this video showed as being appealing enough for mass popularity. I guarantee that there is a niche group but I just don't see it being huge. Nobody is talking to their watch out in public, the same way people aren't generally using Siri out in public. Nobody is taking that watch on a surfing adventure (unless waterproof maybe). The question that needs to be asked is what problems does having a smart watch solve that are otherwise a pain is the butt OR could be done so much better that a person feels the need to spend extra money on one. Trust me, I'm a fan of the innovation in this area because it's good for all of us....but I just haven't seen THEE smartwatch to usher in the category properly.
  • Reply 28 of 123
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

Google will just throw anything at the wall to see if it sticks.  They are a one-trick pony.

• Reply 29 of 123
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    shahhet2 wrote: »
    Doesn't look like  concept watch, if it is getting  released in summer.
    Finally SmartWatch that I can think of spending some money. Only missing Apple logo.

Do you work for Motorola? Who are you? Something's fishy.
  • Reply 30 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Missing out on what exactly? Wearables have been around for years and have only been growing each year. Heck, last year wearables made about $8 Billion dollars last year and projected to be around $20 billion by 2017. As far as I know Apple doesn't have a wearable at all on the current market.

So if you back out actual *watches* (non-smartwatches) from those $8 billion. What was the market worth last year?

My guess would be much less.

• Reply 31 of 123
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

It's real. And, at first impression, seems perfect.

http://moto360.motorola.com/

Nothing is real until it is on the market but I agree the concept does look very, very good. But that's just looks. That's pretty fancy graphics. How visible will that screen be in bright daylight or on a dark night? How long will the battery life actually be? And I noticed that none of the images/video provided show a functioning watch, so how can it be real let alone perfect. And I'm curious as to the two analog watch faces shown in these demos - one with standard hour/minute/second hands and a second that had additional dials, apparently for alternate time zones. Are these just projections or real movements underneath the display screen? Either way, pretty tricky to pull off.

Sorry but Motorola has a concept but nothing real.

PS. Nice to see that Moto uses iMacs :D

• Reply 32 of 123
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

Lets match the sunset color with a flesh tone. Great use of Photoshop and Aftereffects. I can do that too, plus futures cars, intergalactic miniature  space modules that can transverse blackholes .... endless

• Reply 33 of 123
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I consider myself a pretty forward thinking person when it comes to tech, and I'm sorry but I just don't see the implementation in most of the scenarios this video showed as being appealing enough for mass popularity. I guarantee that there is a niche group but I just don't see it being huge. Nobody is talking to their watch out in public, the same way people aren't generally using Siri out in public. Nobody is taking that watch on a surfing adventure (unless waterproof maybe). The question that needs to be asked is what problems does having a smart watch solve that are otherwise a pain is the butt OR could be done so much better that a person feels the need to spend extra money on one. Trust me, I'm a fan of the innovation in this area because it's good for all of us....but I just haven't seen THEE smartwatch to usher in the category properly.

I haven't seen a reason to buy a watch yet. If my watch was a wireless music-to-my-ears music player designed for fitness it'd be a little interesting. At least Apple are apparently cramming lots of sensors into their watch for people with blood pressure, breathing, blood sugar, health, fitness concerns. All I see here is a bunch of gimmicks. "Open garage door"? Really? You still need to buy an automatic garage door. Jelly fish warning? You never checked on magic seaweed before you left? Annoying teens dancing with loud music in the line? Replying verbally out loud on a public train? Seriously? Almost as obnoxious as Google Glass. Do something interesting!!
  • Reply 34 of 123
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Now this looks awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Said no one ever.

Nice try. Lots of people are saying so. Me who doesn't even like wearing watches for one. Pebble, Gear, all the rest so far are suddenly reduced to "only a geek would wear this" prototypes that belong in a museum next to my Casio calculator watch from the '80's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'm actually shocked at what it might look like. While there's been all these different concepts including bands with scrolling displays, some flexible, this one actually looks like. . .

a watch. Maybe everyone else has been over-thinking it.

You may be onto something there, Watson... :)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

The functioning is the most brilliant part of this entire concept.

Android introduced actions into their phone notifications with 4.3 that allowed notifications to include quick actions, graphics and and expanded view all from within the notification itself. Android wear takes those advanced notifications with their actions and pushes them to the watch. Developers don't have to do anything and their apps will be 100% compatible.

Which gets to a central pillar of the Android Wear concept:  More than aimed at Apple, this is one of Google's pre-emptive moves to cut off Samsung's Tizen OS at the pass.

• Reply 35 of 123

Awesome. All these companies coming up with wearables just to get in the game without any real clear vision of what to do. Even Google doesn't know exactly where wearables will go and have produced a half-finished product (then announced it) just to try and jump the gun on others.

This is what Apple loves - everyone making all sorts of junk and they come along with a market-changing product that shows just how pathetic all these other devices really are.

It also shows the difference between Apple and everyone else - Apple works on something in private and only release it when it's good. Everyone else releases half-baked products followed up by a second generation device only months later (Samsung Gear) or announces vaporware that's only in the prototype stage (Google Glass or Android Wearables) and let other people come up with the ideas on how to use them.

• Reply 36 of 123
    All these ands those need internet connection. Good luck getting info that quick and that smooth! Try browsing internet on your phone while moving from one cell tower to another in quick succession from low to high to non coverage.
  • Reply 37 of 123
    I will be getting one because it works well with my job. I work as a supervisor at a call center for a wireless carrier and ironically phones are not allowed due to the fear of people taking pictures of customer information. So with this I can keep my phone in my pocket and get my notifications.
  • Reply 38 of 123
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Not everyone want's and Apple believe it or not.

Not everyone understands the concept of a single-company forum, either.

Originally Posted by SudoNym

Google will just throw anything at the wall to see if it sticks.  They are a one-trick pony.

Your sentences contradict.

• Reply 39 of 123
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Maybe I read to much into you OG comment. I just hate seeing people say that everyone is coping Apple in this particular segment. Wearable have been around for a long time.

Just because there were smartphones before the iPhone doesn't mean companies didn't copy the iPhone after it came out. But companies don't like admitting what they did, so their lawyers and fans created the great "Apple never invented anything" narrative to justify it.
  • Reply 40 of 123
    1. Go away, you pathetic dreck.
    2. Your sentences contradict.

Apparently the moderators allow mocking parodist trolling.