Tim Cook slams new anti-Apple book as 'nonsense' [update: author responds]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Tim should never have called this book nonsense.  To slam the book is only to empower and draw attention to it.

He should have said, "I'm not familiar with the book.  I haven't read it" or something similar.

Tone of: vague dismissal, he's too busy even to think about a gnat buzzing around.

I hope you are joking!

• Reply 22 of 129
    512ke wrote: »
    Tim should never have called this book nonsense.  To slam the book is only to empower and draw attention to it.

He should have said, "I'm not familiar with the book.  I haven't read it" or something similar.

Tone of: vague dismissal, he's too busy even to think about a gnat buzzing around.

Yeah I would have said something like "I'm not a huge fan of fiction"
  • Reply 23 of 129
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Feeeding a troll.

Bad move.

But i do understand Mr Cook.

To many bad myth regarding Apple out there, because Jobs used to ignore stupid (shortSighted) people.

• Reply 24 of 129
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

She seems to me to almost be a professional troll.  I'm basing that only off information from this article/thread though.

• Reply 25 of 129
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

"Update: In a statement emailed to Re/code, Kane said her book "must have touched a nerve" with Cook and is pleased the account has started a conversation about post-Jobs Apple."

In other words; Tim took the bait.

• Reply 26 of 129
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    It touched a nerve because your book is fiction claiming to be fact.
  • Reply 27 of 129
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

"Update: In a statement emailed to Re/code, Kane said her book "must have touched a nerve" with Cook and is pleased the account has started a conversation about post-Jobs Apple."

In other words; Tim took the bait.

And had he not the narrative would have stood.

Even Hershey's had to start advertising.... "I make good chocolate" only goes so far.

• Reply 28 of 129
    spartanspartan Posts: 21member
    I think Tim and others at Apple are just tired of the press in general and their lack of any real reporting or journalism. No company has been so under the microscope as Apple has been and been accused of XYZ, in decline, un-innovative, etc...while Samsung, Google, MS all get passes and barely any attention and all are literally stagnant.

Meanwhile today, MS shoots up because of a rumor of Office on iPad. That's innovation....please. Sure it's a new market and revenue but come on, that's nothing compared to the flops they are having.

Google wearable OS? Come on...it's a CG video and not even real.
  • Reply 29 of 129
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

It is a bit odd that Cook responded.

• Reply 30 of 129
    Tim responded because it was so outrageous and hurtful, but he probably should have been less interesting, to slow the proverbial news machine. But a woman like that loves to see her name in newspapers and mentioned by the elite, like Tim Cook, therefore she'll keep writing her opinion on people who are doing great things in the news, because that will make her money to buy nicer and faster cars.. Although if you look at her net effect on society, she isn't adding anything, while people like Cook are actually making a dent - gotta love Cook! When haters stop using your fame and fortune for the spotlight, you know you've stopped making a difference.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I wish Apple would go on offense more often. Quit allowing Apple to be a punching bag.

• Reply 32 of 129
    Well maybe if apple actually put out new products, something creative, and actually maintained its word by making a splash in 2014, they would receive less criticism. Its almost april and still nothing. Samsung has now outdone apples phone, and released a smart watch and a second gen smartwatch. Apple has nothing but court battles to show for its victories. Maybe if customers started to jump ship a bit more to samsung apple might start making better products faster.
  • Reply 33 of 129
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wish Apple would go on offense more often. Quit allowing Apple to be a punching bag.

I disagree because it is futile. The more Apple reacts, the more Apple will be attacked.
  • Reply 34 of 129
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

Well maybe if apple actually put out new products, something creative, and actually maintained its word by making a splash in 2014, they would receive less criticism. Its almost april and still nothing. Samsung has now outdone apples phone, and released a smart watch and a second gen smartwatch. Apple has nothing but court battles to show for its victories. Maybe if customers started to jump ship a bit more to samsung apple might start making better products faster.

April. OMG, I didn't realize that they changed the end of the year to month #4!

Samsung has done nothing to "outdone" the iPhone. The S5 has been greeted with a "meh" both by reviewers and by buyers. Their smart watches are such duds that they're giving them away with purchase of a TV. The reason customers don't jump ship from Apple to Samsung is because Apple isn't in the junk business.

• Reply 35 of 129
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

????

• Reply 36 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I disagree because it is futile. The more Apple reacts, the more Apple will be attacked.

Cook is dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't. I'm sure there are Apple employees that wish the company would stop being a punching bag.

• Reply 37 of 129
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Headline baiting hack journalism at its worst...
  • Reply 38 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I hope you are joking!

He sort of has a point.

Originally Posted by blandersonsf

[post]

Shut up and go away.

• Reply 39 of 129
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

A chilidsh, petty, and trollish response by the author, as expected. It's the equivalent of trolls who come in and vomit out non-sensical horse-shit about Apple, and when people respond that what they're saying is untrue, their retort is "LOL LOOKS LIKE A GOT A BIG REACTION, PROVES FANBOYS CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH". 

Person A: The sky is green

Person B: That's nonsense, it's blue

Person A: So, looks like I struck a nerve. Just goes to show how right I am. 

It's the tactic of attention whores and petty liars. You see it everyday with politicians and smear campaigns. I agree that Cook should not even have dignified the book with a comment, no matter how tempting it was to call it out. It's exactly what people like this want, and she'll milk the extra attention for all its worth. 

Sane people (and the hundreds of millions who are buying Apple products) do not really believe anything is "haunted" or "doomed" about the current Apple. This "author" knows what they're doing, which is simply profiting from the small but vocal "I hate Apple" and "I wish Apple would die" troll market. This author has mocked and derided the company in every piece she's written about them. She's a hater to the core, yet this book is being billed as some deep, objective, investigative publication. 

Either way, the consensus seems to be that the book is complete shit, regardless of its perspective.

If you listen to her video interview here, gives you an idea of how little she brings to the table. Besides sounding..not that bright (she has that whiny teenage-girl voice) her entire argument is "Cook isn't Steve Jobs..and umm..yeah!". Thanks for that, brilliant observation. I can tell how little depth the book has based on that short segment, and her mind-numbing manner of speaking. The way she keeps saying "My question is.." makes it clear how little she fucking knows about anything internally within the company. Her interviewers seem to understand more than she does. The same book, with the same "questions" could have been written before Steve's death- because apparently Apple's performance and product quality the last few years are not a factor in her assessments. 

• Reply 40 of 129
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

One post troll alert! Does Sammy pay per account and per post?