Tim Cook slams new anti-Apple book as 'nonsense' [update: author responds]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    Well maybe if apple actually put out new products, something creative, and actually maintained its word by making a splash in 2014, they would receive less criticism. Its almost april and still nothing. Samsung has now outdone apples phone, and released a smart watch and a second gen smartwatch. Apple has nothing but court battles to show for its victories. Maybe if customers started to jump ship a bit more to samsung apple might start making better products faster.

So that's the funny thing about haters: their narrative about Apple keeps changing.

1. "Apple is a great company on the decline because its almost April and still nothing."
    2. "Apple stole all their ideas and never really invented anything, unlike Samsung."

These are contradictory ideas about Apple, but the cognitive dissonance never registers with Fandroids.

Apple was beaten to market by Samsung in MP3 players, smartphones, tablets and TVs too. I'd say Apple has an extremely consistent track record of NOT being first to market. So why is NOT being first in the smartwatch market a sign of Apple in decline??? And, why are you postulating that Samsung was "first" in smartwatches when they were beaten to market by others like Pebble?
  • Reply 42 of 129
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    April's fool is early in 2014.
    Well maybe if apple actually put out new products, something creative, and actually maintained its word by making a splash in 2014, they would receive less criticism. Its almost april and still nothing. Samsung has now outdone apples phone, and released a smart watch and a second gen smartwatch. Apple has nothing but court battles to show for its victories. Maybe if customers started to jump ship a bit more to samsung apple might start making better products faster.
  • Reply 43 of 129
    jungmark wrote: »
    One post troll alert! Does Sammy pay per account and per post?

Yes. Because only a Samsung troll would project their fantasy that Apple users would jump to Samsung because it sells a garish, redundant wrist gadget that iPhone users all secretly covet.
  • Reply 44 of 129
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    [quote]
    Where are all the anti-Samsung books? Oh yeah, noone is interested to read anything concerning Samsung. 
    [/quote]

I am. It is a tremendously huge company which does ships, planes, as much as phones.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member

Read The Guardian's very unfavorable review of the book here:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/haunted-empire-book-review

"Great title, shame about the contents."

• Reply 46 of 129
    buckalec wrote: »
    Dilger / Kane debate live on WSJ d on Apple TV - I would pay for that

Macalope vs Kane would be much funnier. DED has a tendency to dig himself into holes he doesn't realize he's in.
  • Reply 47 of 129

I believe she truly does understate Ive, like the CNBC interviewer is suggesting in the video from the link. Ive's role as spiritual companion to Jobs and not reporting to anyone at apple (as stated by SJ in his biography) allows Apple to keep the intersection between tech and liberal arts going, with two persons at helm: Cook like a more traditional CEO, and Ive like the design ethos of the company with still no reporting authority above him at the helm. Great thought has been put into keeping teams working together seamlessly, by going as far as to firing the brilliant but tacky Scott Forstall when he threatened to breed internal dissent and to try to stage a coup which, if successful, was prone to turn apple into a more tecky, dorky company à la Google. 

Apple stays brilliant. The author is welcome to stir conversation however, and as Cook points out, she's at par with the author of iCon (which jobs banned out of apple stores a few years back) and apple naysayer Daniel Lyons aka fake steve jobs (who later repented on dissing the iPad upon arrival).

• Reply 48 of 129
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

this is what happens when Trolls decide to publish books.  Sadly they got the attention they wanted and fools will flock to buy their work. sad.

• Reply 49 of 129
    mreddiemreddie Posts: 14member
    More than years since Steve Jobs passed away and still there are people singing the litany of a doomed Apple... sad, very sad :(
  • Reply 50 of 129
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Haters will hate.
    Apple has disrupted an entire tech industry with the iPad and they can't find a fu**ing way out the mess.
    Apple forces other player's business model to get fu**ed.
    Are you buying a new pc every 4 to 5 months like we did back in the days? Hell to the effing no!
    And the notion Apple can't survive without Jobs is hilarious. Apple has become self aware of who it is and what it does and what should matter. IMHO!
  • Reply 51 of 129
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Read The Guardian's very unfavorable review of the book here:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/haunted-empire-book-review

"Great title, shame about the contents."

I was gonna quote stuff, but as I read more and more, every paragraph making the book look worse and worse, I didn't know what to quote anymore. That review makes it clear that the book is complete trash.  Anyway, here's a couple for the heck of it:

Quote:

By this time, Kane has pretty much decided that because Apple’s current lineup doesn’t contain Steve Jobs, that it’s a busted flush. Unveiling the iPhone 5 in 2012, Cook is wooden on stage. Schiller’s touting of its larger screen (compared to previous iPhones) was - apparently - a jab at Samsung’s Galaxy Note. I missed that reference myself, though I was watching the same presentation. And “[Schiller’s] remark signalled Apple’s increasing vulnerability”. Huh? The iPhone 5 sold more than any previous iPhone. Vulnerability to what?

I found the bizarre attribution of meaning to events which didn’t seem to have meaning more and more intrusive.

Quote:

A giant failing of this book is its focus only on Apple. You simply can’t write about its position without also writing about Google and Microsoft and their ambitions, at the very least. Their strategies are so interlocked, with each feinting while also trying to move to places the other wants to reach, that any examination of them in isolation is a map without landmarks. 

Quote:

Kane also falls prey to simplistic interpretation, thinking that because Google offered a maps app for the iPhone, that it would be a hit. That overlooks the power of defaults. (Google Maps is now hardly used on the iPhone compared to Apple Maps.) You have to understand how people use technology to give your readers context.

Quote:

So should we conclude that post-Jobs, Apple won’t make stupid antitrust-breaching decisions? Or is it that his acts hang over the company like a pall - in which case, wouldn’t staff welcome moving on to new ground? Kane seems to want it both ways. Everything Jobs did was wonderful, except the stuff that left Apple screwed when it tried to do anything else. This, though, rests on the concept of the Immaculate Jobs, which anyone who’s covered Apple for any time will tell you is bunk. Tons of mistakes happened under his watch; and he could be as shortsighted as anyone, the two biggest examples being that he didn’t want third-party apps on the iPhone, and he didn’t want the iPod to work on Windows. If he’d prevailed, he would have sunk the company.

Quote:

By this stage of the book (page 307) I was reading through whatever the visual equivalent of gritted teeth is. “The Red Chair” details, excruciatingly, Tim Cook’s hey-he’s-not-as-cool-as-Steve-Jobs appearance at the All Things D conference in May 2013. Kane clearly thinks he did poorly by not leaping to his feet and announcing a new iThing, or giving the crowd some ole Southern charm like a Bill Clinton of technology.

Quote:

Kane manages this with the book’s epilogue, which mentions the iPhone 5S with its fingerprint sensor in a single line. Apparently a new feature that loads of people use and which enhances their security (most phone users don’t use passcodes) and which comes from a company (Authentec) bought after Steve Jobs died, well, that’s not interesting. But the lower-priced iPhone 5C and its failure to mimic hot cakes sales-wise in its first month? Now you’ve got something doomy to write about! (Sales of the 5C have picked up since the new year, following price cuts. You’d almost think Apple had some sort of strategy there rather than doing this stuff randomly.) The “gold iPhone” is compared unfavourably to blue-sky research from Google on understanding death, which was enthusiastically hyped up by tech bloggers.

Only one of those two things, though, is on sale now; the other might never happen. Google kills a lot of projects, in case people had forgotten. Do you prefer your innovation in the palm of your hand, or in an uncertain future?

Yeah I'll stop. The link is worth a read. Confirms what I suspected about the book- it's an empty, agenda-driven pile of drivel that insults readers.

• Reply 52 of 129
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Sounds like typical WSJ nonsense
  • Reply 53 of 129
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    She was on Marketplace this evening, and she knows less than she thinks about how Apple works, and speculates all too much on - for lack of a better term - WWSD?

I'd like her to list one thing that Steve would do differently from what Tim has done. Probably nothing of consequence.

Rule 1 about writing a book is get people talking about your book. She's succeeding.
  • Reply 54 of 129
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

Wowser. Sounds like this week's issues of the National Enquirer and The Onion have some serious competition to contend with thanks to Ms Kane!

Everyone loves a good fight, but I got my money on The Onion. At least it's funny.

• Reply 55 of 129
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

I think Apple's software division is sucking. Hardware is great. 

I have frequent problems I didn't have in the past. Worse, Apple is aware of the problems, but they don't seem to be timely about addressing. Like Mail, which I stopped using when I lost mail (using Airmail, thank you very much).

Now problem (today) is using Numbers. Made spreadsheet in Excel, works fine in Numbers and Numbers on the web. But does not work with iOS (does not show up on phone).

I had to copy and paste data from each tab into a new spreadsheet, screwing up the formatting.

New problem? Issue on iOS with fonts. Others having same problem for a long time.

And, like a lot of people, the Apple fetish with circle designs everywhere doesn't work well. And iOS icons, to start, are pretty ugly and inconsistent.

Off my rant...

Edit: Solution: From Numbers, export and email offending spreadsheet as Excel file. Save from email and open in Numbers. Problem fixed.

(Apple user for 30+ years)

• Reply 56 of 129
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

• Reply 57 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Confirms what I suspected about the book- it's an empty, agenda-driven pile of drivel that insults readers.

The book sounds like it started with the conclusion that a post-Steve Apple was doomed and worked backwards to support that world view with negative interpretations of actual events, such as Tim Cook's appearance at All Things D. Steve Jobs not unveiled any products at All Things D either, but somehow, they overlook this and declare that it's proof of whatever they've already concluded. It's argument by non sequitur

• Reply 58 of 129
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Unfortunately no one ever loses a job or their reputation writing anti-Apple bullshit. The majority of the world now wants morally bankrupt companies like Google and Samsung. Apple is the punching bag for these assholes. I think the problem for them is that Apple makes them, and the companies that they favour, look bad. And rather than be better they want the comparison not to be able to be made.

"The rage of Caliban on seeing himself in a mirror".

• Reply 59 of 129
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

I won't dignify this post with repeating your bull shit.  Go away you 1 post hit whore troll

• Reply 60 of 129
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Bullshit should always be called out.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Nope. Mr. Cook should have ignored the book and its author. The author’s response proves that point. She is overjoyed that Cook took exception to the book. It will increase sales, is great PR for her, it’s a win-win for her. She can’t lose now.