Rumor: Apple prepping 12" MacBook without fan, mechanical trackpad button

Comments

• Reply 21 of 177
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pmz wrote: »
    Seriously who uses the press-down-anywhere to click?

I can't imagine not having it.
  • Reply 22 of 177
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Unknown?

Umm...tap to click? Seriously who uses the press-down-anywhere to click? They should have done away with the button a while ago. Tap + Gestures is all I need.

there are a few uses still for the click.  When you restart or start up the Mac, you have to click to select your user account.  I've tried tapping more times than i can count.  Also, click-drag is still more intuitive and quicker than tap twice to move.  I usually click and hold with left hand and drag with right.  you can also two-finger scroll while click&hold with the other hand.  Sure, OS X has implemented other ways to do this without having to click and/or hold/drag.  but I've found it's quicker and easier for me to do it the conventional way.

• Reply 23 of 177
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rajaram View Post

I don't think my 5 year old MBP has a fan.

my girlfriend's Mac is a 2009 MBP and it most certainly has a face.  Noisy little bugger when watching video or streaming content.

• Reply 24 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Possibly for you, me I'd jump on it if it could run Mac OS and support iOS apps. In fact I would enjoy having an ultra light laptop that can run Mac OS decently and do that on a battery charge for days.

you know what this means right?  Apple will release some super thin and light notebook and people will swoop it up.  However, from what we've read it sounds like it will be pretty under-powered for power users (who will be the first to buy this).  Then, everyone will complain that it's too slow, it over heats (due to the common usage of Power users and lack of fan) and everyone will be demanding Apple *must* improve this 'disappointing entry-level Mac'.  Personally, I just don't think this machine (if it exists) will be designed for the power user.  That's what the MBP is for.  IT's already 1.5 lb lighter than the previous non-SSD models, and it's retina.  What more do you need?  Don't answer that :P

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the future "Macbook" since there hasn't been a Mac with that moniker since 2011.

• Reply 25 of 177
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Apple isn't going to use an ARM processor in this. Developers would have to recompile their software to use it, and to run something like Rosetta would require something significantly faster than an ARM processor, that is unless ARM has been leading a secret double life.

That said, Intel is set to release it's 5th generation 14nm Core chip this summer which reduces power consumption by 30% and maybe at that point it doesn't need a fan.
  • Reply 26 of 177
    1) When the articles say 12" MacBook do they mean a 12" MacBook or just a 12" device within Apple's notebook line? I can see a 12" MBA arriving as 11" is a little small (especially at 16:9) and 13" somewhat convolutes the decision for many buyers with the new MBP designs. I am not sure we'll see the MB line come back as the MBA line seems to fill that space nicely.

2) Fanless is interesting. It's certainly possible with some of Intel chips but as an ARM-based system it's also possible now that they have the MAS providing they update the SDK and give a decent lead time for developers to recompile their apps for AArch_64. My guess is that they would at least consider if the average MBA user isn't needed heavy computing with large apps from slow-to-update 3rd-party vendors. That said, I'd think it's likely a lower-power x86_64 chip.
  • Reply 27 of 177
    I've never met anyone who has refused to buy a new Apple anything because it has changed.
    Look at the new Mac. People here are still waiting on backorders.
    If your dedicated to Apple or Microsoft you'll but what you know and like.
  • Reply 28 of 177
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rajaram View Post

I don't think my 5 year old MBP has a fan.

If you can't hear your fan, it might be dead.  Install the iStat widget or similar and check the fan speed.  

• Reply 29 of 177
    If you can't hear your fan, it might be dead.  Install the iStat widget or similar and check the fan speed.  

In user space no one can hear you scream.
  • Reply 30 of 177
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Fanless is interesting. It's certainly possible with some of Intel chips but as an ARM-based system it's also possible now that they have the MAS providing they update the SDK and give a decent lead time for developers to recompile their apps for AArch_64. My guess is that they would at least consider if the average MBA user isn't needed heavy computing with large apps from slow-to-update 3rd-party vendors. That said, I'd think it's likely a lower-power x86_64 chip.

Interesting point about the MAS. I wonder if they could do static binary translations (Intel->ARM) of the binaries already on the MAS? Do the terms and conditions of the MAS allow them to do that? And, they wrote their own compiler (LLVM). Could they have been thinking so far ahead, that the Intel binaries generated by this compiler have been designed for ease of static translation to ARM all along?

• Reply 31 of 177
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

There no technical handles or issues to make a Fanless Laptop. Get it low enough Clock speed Broadwell is there already.

The problem is.

It will be slow, definitely slower then previous gen Haswell if it were to go fanless.

GPU will suck, Graphics performance suffer quite heavily.

And finally, ALL ULP Intel chip are extra expensive. No way could Macbook Air continue to sell at this current price range, especially with the rumors Retina Display.

All in all, the rumors add up together dont make much sense.

• Reply 32 of 177
    No fan and non-mechanical touchpad? So now it sounds even more like a clamshell iPad running Mac OSX. :)
  • Reply 33 of 177

I think they should keep the basic design, which works VERY well, and just upgrade the screen resolution. It doesn't have to be Retina quality, but it should at least be 1920 x 1080 on the 13" MBA.

Apple doesn't need to put ARM into a MacBook. I'd like to see them up the screen resolution, in the current Haswell-based MBA, since Broadwell won't be shipping until at least this Fall...

• Reply 34 of 177
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

How can it not have a fan, it's not ARM based is it? Or maybe if you take the most efficient Intel chip there is, and cover it with copper heat pipes, you just simply don't need a fan.

OS X is 64-bit, and they have just release a 64-bit ARM chip in the 5S...

Haswell Y series is fanless.  

Broadwell Y series will also be fanless.

• Reply 35 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

ALL ULP Intel chip are extra expensive. No way could Macbook Air continue to sell at this current price range

The current Haswell U series chip in the Macbook Air:

i5-4250U - $315

A fanless Haswell Y series chip:

i5-4300Y - $281

Source: Intel ARK

• Reply 36 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

That said, Intel is set to release it's 5th generation 14nm Core chip this summer which reduces power consumption by 30% and maybe at that point it doesn't need a fan.

At the moment, Intel's 4th generation Haswell Y-series (22nm) can run fanless. 

• Reply 37 of 177
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

The current Haswell U series chip in the Macbook Air:

i5-4250U - $315

A fanless Haswell Y series chip:

i5-4300Y - $281

Source: Intel ARK

Sorry I stand corrected. and it seems the max difference isn't that much off either. Broadwell with 14nm should be able to come close to the performance of 4250U. I do hope they get CrystalWell in it as well to boost Gfx performance.

• Reply 38 of 177
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

Haswell Y series is fanless.  

Broadwell Y series will also be fanless.

The issue is not just the CPU but also GPU.  How well (in terms of performance) can the integrated GPU, in those specfic processors drive a retina-quality screen?  The last thing Apple needs to do is pull an iPad 3 with this 12" rMBA.

• Reply 39 of 177
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

The issue is not just the CPU but also GPU.  How well (in terms of performance) can the integrated GPU, in those specfic processors drive a retina-quality screen?  The last thing Apple needs to do is pull an iPad 3 with this 12" rMBA.

The GPU in Broadwell Y series should offer a considerable boost in performance over Haswell Y series (which presently sits under Haswell U series).

• Reply 40 of 177

This is very interesting.  Considering that both iOS and OS X share much of the same codebase and libraries, it is possible that this new MacBook computer runs an ARM processor.  Apple has many years of experience transitioning OSs from one architecture to another (Motorola 68K to PowerPC to Intel), so it would not be unheard of for them to use an ARM processor in this notebook.  I am very interested to see what this new machine will look lit, and it cold even be the "iPad Pro" that was predicted recently, although it is more reminiscent of a MacBook Air than an iPad...