Nintendo Game Cube vs. Microsoft X Box

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So, the X Box comes out on Thursday along with Halo- no longer vaporware, and the Game Cube comes out on Sunday- a console with a PPC.

Who is getting one? Who is getting both?

I know I'll be picking up both consoles, (so to speak) within the next week. My X box is at a local EB, and the Game Cube is getting sent to me from ebgames.com. I was lucky and won them last year along with the PS2. It was a cool contest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    Fran you are a raffle winning freak. Enjoy your consoles.

Microsoft is dropping the price on the XBox to 300 bucks, aimed squarely at the Playstation 2. It doesn't look like MS will break even on the XBox until 2003.

I'm going to get a Gamecube, eventually. I think a lot of parents will get it for their kids instead of PS2/XBox on price merit alone.

Long term, I think Nintendo will do a better job of making their money back, since many of their games are done in house. Platform-wise, XBox could be a serious upset to PS2 with all them games.

All in all, it looks like PS2 is dead in the water, momentum-wise.

I still think there are only two things that could possible propel one of these platforms into a significant lead.

1) Someone figures out how to easily pirate the games for the platform.

2) A killer, unique, exclusive game is released.

Halo doesn't count for #2. I'm talking about a game that is reason enough to plunk down for the console.

I'll wait for Halo on the Mac.

#1 won't be good for the company, but it'll be great for the platform. Hell, it did wonders for the original playstation.
  • Reply 2 of 107
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I probably won't get either for a while but I'd like to get a GameCube eventually. Depends on when a good baseball game comes out for it
  • Reply 3 of 107
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    There is a baseball game coming out for the GCN. In fact, it might be the only baseball game on the console to feature the Twins and Expos!
  • Reply 3 of 107
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    [quote]Originally posted by jutus:

Microsoft is dropping the price on the XBox to 300 bucks, aimed squarely at the Playstation 2. It doesn't look like MS will break even on the XBox until 2003.

<hr></blockquote>

The price has always been $299.

[quote]I still think there are only two things that could possible propel one of these platforms into a significant lead.

1) Someone figures out how to easily pirate the games for the platform.

<hr></blockquote>

It killed the dreamcast and segathough. Even though that was a wonderful platform that still has some of the best games.

I'm still enjoying my dreamcast too much to plunk down cash on an xbox.
  • Reply 5 of 107
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Fran I think you win for first thread in a wrong forum. Gaming chat is here for a reason.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    I'm talking about console hardware, not games. Plus, the X box has an ethernet port and HD, so isn't a computer?

I'm confused now.
  • Reply 7 of 107
    Eskimo, why aren't you moderating any more?
  • Reply 8 of 107
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Go Gamecube!

But as far as Halo, I saw the commercial for it on TV last night, and I felt a touch of pride. (and "Holy crap that's Halo!) Along with a feeling of regret that they were now part of M$. My excitement for Halo has completely changed since they were absorbed. Sigh... at least we still have Ambrosia and EV: Nova.
  • Reply 8 of 107
    Halo will be a good game, despite what M$ may have done to it.
  • Reply 10 of 107
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Eskimo, why aren't you moderating any more?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wasn't asked.
  • Reply 11 of 107
    Ouch.
  • Reply 12 of 107
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Eventually I'll probably get a Game Cube. Right now there's no point in getting it because I barely even use my PlayStation.
  • Reply 13 of 107
    I'm getting a GameCube when the stores open on Sunday-- already have my copy of Rogue Leader which I plan on enjoying for a while... :cool:
  • Reply 14 of 107
    Hehe. I already have my copy of Super Monkey Ball. Aren't those disks smaller than you thought they'd be?
  • Reply 15 of 107
    I bought me an import GameCube and added a switch to it to make it Universal So I've been playing Rogue Leader since it was first available for sale. Man, I suck at that game!
  • Reply 16 of 107
    Is the GC fun? Do you have the wireless Wavebirds or the regular controllers? Man, I can't wait to get my new consoles!
  • Reply 17 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Is the GC fun? Do you have the wireless Wavebirds or the regular controllers? Man, I can't wait to get my new consoles!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wavebirds aren't available yet-- I was initerested in them at first, but I think I'll just get one of those 8' controller extension cords they're selling for 8 bucks at the store-- those Wavebirds don't have rumble packs in them, and I won't give up the rumble pack for anything!

Yeah, those disks are tiny-- double-layer DVDs the size of a CD "single". The coolest thing is that they spin in the opposite direction of regular DVDs and CDs, to make them even harder to duplicate

You said SYSTEMS, what else are you getting?
  • Reply 18 of 107
    M$ hatred aside, the gamecube is the superior machine. Perhaps I'm a bit of a Nintendo fanboy, but they always have the greatest crop of games. They're like Apple: really tight control of both the hardware and the software to ensure a quality product.
  • Reply 19 of 107
    Forgot to mention:

I've been going to the Gamecube release parties here in New York for the past week. Some things you should know about the 'cube:

1. the controller is AMAZING! It fits your hands perfectly, and the buttons are really well placed.

2. Rogue Leader is one of the best games I've ever played. It's one of those games that is good enough to warrant buying the console, not that I can afford it.
  • Reply 20 of 107
    to me Nintendo feels like the Apple of video games. So with that said. Go GameCube.

I would love to see X box Flop

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Michaelm8000 ]</p>