Nintendo Game Cube vs. Microsoft X Box

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]SEGA still makes games for it.<hr></blockquote>

Make that Game. NHL 2k3 is the last game that will be made for the Dreamcast, and it's the only title left that will be released in the United States.
  • Reply 102 of 107
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    So am I to understand that NFL/NBA 2k3 will be made but only released in Japan?

That is whack.
  • Reply 103 of 107
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Yeah. Just like Shenmue II. It was released in Europe and Japan AND ready to be shipped to the US, and they cancelled it because M$ paid them to make it an XBox exclusive. Now I can't use anything I have from Shemue on DC in Shenmue II.
  • Reply 104 of 107
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    That's still cool by me. I don't mind paying $50-$60 for a Dreamcast and a few games, controllers and VMUs. Hell, NHL 2k3 is a bonus since it will be coming out, the DC already has a good stable of games.

I, personally, think this business of releasing an updated sports game every year for $50 is stupid. I used to go a few years between sports game updates. I remember when Walter Payton was on Tecmo Bowl!
  • Reply 105 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>DoctorGonzo, the fact that MS has to bribe other companies or simply buy them out is the problem. MS is trying to buy companies like Bungie...and Take Two...AND Infogrames, and gamers will hate them for it. Sony did the same thing with Square, and now Nintendo hates Square's guts...they almost don't even want them back.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't forget, Microsoft also was in talks to buy Sega, and was very interested in buying Square as well.

Nintendo (or at least Hiroshi Yamauchi) most certainly does not want Square developing for Nintendo whatsoever. Square has been very interested in porting its older RPGs to Game Boy (as it has done with the older Final Fantasy titles to the Wonderswan), but Nintendo has refused.
  • Reply 106 of 107
    I got my gamecube sunday at the crack of dawn 20 minutes before the store offically opened(there were about 15 people there all for the GC, so they just opened then. I got luigis mansion, THPS3, and wave race intially, I beat THPS3 in about a week, same with lugis mansion, both were great games, as for waverace, it really wasn't all that different from the first, except the physics and graphics were way better(making it a bit harder) I haven't cracked open into wave race yet.

I just got Super monkey ball and Pikmin, both of which are GREAT, especiall SMB with all of its cool multiplayer options and such, I'll probably get rogue leader and super smash bros. melee when I have a bit more cash, but all in all

GC is the best system out there, more exclusive(and good) games than anyother system, and its damn powerful as well.

xbox isn't worth it at all, halo is great, but thats it, the other games I've played are pretty dumb.

ps2 is awesome I must say, esp. since it plays ps1 games, but the only games I really liked on ps1 were final fantasy(VII, VIII, IX, and tactics) and bushido blade, I know there are other great games, but for the most part, I'm happy with CVGS for final fantasy tactics

side note: I was on gameranger last night, and this topic came up, myself along with about 5 other people were FOR the gamecube and 2 guys were TOTALLY against it, and totally for the xbox. then one of them pulled out the guiness book of world records 2002 most powerful gaming system....(the book said xbox, but didn't give any mention to other stats besides MHz.) and with posting the world record, he said "you guys are all retards, xbox is best, you ****ing idiots" and proceeded to say such meaningless "insults" after almost everyone in the chat area was on his case and giving him mad shit about his ignorance.

all in all, it just goes to show you how dumb people can be
  • Reply 107 of 107
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Over winter break I managed to get about ten minutes of playtime with the XBox that my cousin got for Christmas. Except for Halo, I am not impressed.

1. The XBox has to be one of the ugliest things I have ever seen intended to be placed near a TV. There is no way I'd put that thing near the sleek Sony WEGA and Toshiba DVD player we have. It looks like an overstuffed box of radioactive corn flakes; with a little tear in the middle with glowing neon greenness pouring out. Ugh. Please, copy Sony and their PS2 now! The PS2 is very, very nice looking.

2. The controller sucks. I guess in general I just hate gamepads anyway though. I was playing Halo with the little nubby thingys and longed for the trusty keyboard and mouse combo. Unfortunately, MS says there will be no keyboard and mouse made for XBox, at least according to an Ars n3rd in their Gaming forum. Oh, and the controller is ugly too.

3. Playing at fuzzy TV resolution is not to be envied. Then again, I play Q3 at 640 x 480 since it's all a Rage 128 can handle. :shrug:

I haven't gotten a chance to use GameCube or PS2 yet. The GameCube is also ugly. I find it funny how all of the Ars geeks abhor the look of the iMac, yet never seem to mention the purple gamecube. Ack! That thing is hideous. Get a clue, industrial designers. I guess I'm just spoiled from Sony and Apple.

Halo is a completely different story. I thought it was hopeless, but I was wrong. The story, even though I played for just ten or so minutes, is immediately evident. You are on a doomed space ship, gotta save people, yadda yadda. Everything advances fast, yet doesn't collapse into a twitch shooter like Q3 or AvP. And I like that.

I'd write more, but 4AM is pretty late...and my parents seem to have a 6th sense and will wake up to see me typing at these hours...it freaks me out. :eek: