New case and specs

Comments

• Reply 40 of 98
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    This is still a better looking deal.

MSKR
  • Reply 42 of 98
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    All Apple images on their website, in print advertising and brochures are photoshopped. Standard procedure in advertising now. However, if that Tower is legit I suspect it is much smaller then we think. Perhaps half the size of the current Quicksilver.
  • Reply 43 of 98
    thesloththesloth Posts: 11member
    It is quite obviously a fake. You only need look closely at the firewire ports to see that they are simply cut from the xserve, pasted and rotated onto the spoof case. And why on earth would Apple 'advertise' the fact that this machine has a GF4MX when the equivalent selling powermac already has this feature. The things that get advertised on the front page are almost always changes from the previous model.
  • Reply 44 of 98
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Funny how we have the biggest critics...yet they never show mockups of what THEY think would work.

You detractors need to show us what is the ideal case. Design is not as easy as you think....being a critic is.</strong><hr></blockquote>

take it like a man! if someone says it's boring or ugly, at least they're being honest.

suck it up and learn from it.... if not, your design is gonna keep get worse because you aren't open to people's opinions.

i'm not a fan of the design, but props for doing it.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It's obviously a fake, if it was not the case, Apple will have already asked to AI to remove these pictures ;
  • Reply 46 of 98
    I like it, although it looks a bit too anonymous for Apple (and for my taste for that matter...I love the curves and the big Apple logos on the current case). Anyway, if this design was in fact something to go by, what would it mean for the lcd displays? A new more angular design? Just wondering...

Good work whoever did it!
  • Reply 47 of 98
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

<strong>

Funny how we have the biggest critics...yet they never show mockups of what THEY think would work.

You detractors need to show us what is the ideal case. Design is not as easy as you think....being a critic is.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, design is not an easy thing. That's why I prefer to leave it to Jonathan Ive to come up with something tasteful.

One must accept criticism along with some of the many favorable comments.

But voicing my opinions is something I'll do freely. Better that, than sitting on the fence and simply commenting on others opinions.
  • Reply 48 of 98
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    hmurchison,

Never criticize a critic, it's like playing with fire, and the reason critics never create... well that 's just an excercise in ugliness.

Critics are the yang the designer ying, I like to think of critics as negative space.

Necessary to accentuate the positive.

(But us designers/creative thinkers still get to look down on them)

MSKR
  • Reply 49 of 98
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    "(But us designers/creative thinkers still get to look down on them)"

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 50 of 98
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't like it. And it isn't real anyway, so some of you need to grab the reins a bit.

It is good Photoshop work, no doubt. But the design/look of it is simply below Apple's abilities and style. It looks cluttered, crowded and too much going on. I prefer the sleek, "nothing there" look of Apple's stuff, as opposed to seam lines, vents, buttons, inputs, etc. all over the place.

Again, nice mockup. Just looks like anyone else's computer but Apple's.

Here's the thing (and we all do it...Lord knows I have on many occasions): when Apple comes out with a new piece of hardware that looks different than other stuff in the line (aluminum Xserve or whatever), we all start applying that look to EVERYTHING in Apple's lineup, assuming "okay, the next PowerBook/iBook/iMac/iPod will look this way...".

But think about it: how many times has Apple completely gone the other way and surprised (or shocked) us?

When the colors were all hot and the fruit flavors were retired in favor of more professional, sedate hues in July 2000 (Indigo, Sage, Ruby, etc.), we all couldn't WAIT for the sage, ruby, etc. iBooks, right?

What did Apple do? Key Lime! Did ANYONE see that one coming?

:eek:

Same with the iMac patterns. We all just KNEW that a flower power iBook was on the way eventually.

Nope.

And no Titanium towers, even though the new PowerBook unveiled in January 2001 looked awesome.

And I would've bet the farm that any new flat panel iMac would surely sport the glossy white dual-USB iBook/iPod casing.

Nope again. Flat matte white.

Although, that eMac thing...

I don't think that rack mount server particularly points to any surefire direction Apple will take with any of their other hardware. It's probably aluminum for a reason, just as the PowerBook is Titanium for a reason (I guess).

I think Apple has the nicest looking towers out there. Period. I'd had to see them get all squared-up and clunky-looking.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Sweet! Masker, cut the case depth down by 1/3 and add illuminated apple logos on the side (ala Powerbook) and we have one kick a** machine (or if you prefer, a machine that prods serious buttock). Great job done on the picture (the apple logo needs to be centered, it looks off).

Nice
  • Reply 52 of 98
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    I will agree that this is entirely to Xserve like to be the real deal.

Xserve, unlike any other Mac form factor absolutely must conform to a set of specific guidelines. 1U

I do think the sentiment will be echoed and that aluminum/metal will be a major part of the design, but this is tool limited.

But, would I be disappointed this design? No.

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: zaz ]</p>
  • Reply 53 of 98
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>All Apple images on their website, in print advertising and brochures are photoshopped. Standard procedure in advertising now. However, if that Tower is legit I suspect it is much smaller then we think. Perhaps half the size of the current Quicksilver.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I cannot believe people still think that tower is legit or even considering it. It's a photoshopped xServe!
  • Reply 54 of 98
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    nice looking, but fake. very good photoshop work though.
  • Reply 55 of 98
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I think the fakeness of the image has been well established. We don't need any more "it's not real because..." posts.
  • Reply 56 of 98
    pesipesi Posts: 424member

<strong>Design is not as easy as you think....being a critic is.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, except this isn't design. It's cutting and pasting. There's a difference. I did the same damn thing the day the Xserve came out. Thought the "design" sucked and scrapped it.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    its hideous
  • Reply 58 of 98
    this is not real. What it looks like I do not know maybe that is right. What it says about inside is wrong.

a little birdie told me

No G5, G4 made better

running at 1.1, 1.3, 1.5 GHz, all single,

166 Mhz bus about 1.2 GB/s bandwidth to the Apple designed ASIC which controls 3 DDR333 memory slots.

3x64 bit 66 Mhz PCI slots

1x4x AGP (won't tell you what is in there but I think the Nvidia guy may have spoke too soon about growing their market share). There is more than one slot filler floating around (they catch spies many ways)

No idea cost, no idea what they will put around or on our baby.
  • Reply 59 of 98
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Here's my revision of it:

• Reply 60 of 98
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    There's not enough room for the speaker housing if you stick a 5.25" optical drive right on top of it.