I am curious to see what you guys really think: MWNY Prediction Thread.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>Macworld NY 2002 is going to be a big event for Apple. They are going to make a big deal out of it and spend a shitload of money advertising in NYC, especially with I(Apple)NY signs and posters from the new campaign. They may also do a nother countdown/tease on the website.

Why?

1.) PowerMac Update

It's gonna be a big one. Significant architecture changes. Whether it is a G4 or a G5 the PowerMac is getting DDR frontside and memory buses. The motherboard will be completely redesigned. 66Mhz PCI slots will make their way into the towers. Duals will be more abundant and they will make a big deal of the added bandwidth to feed the 2 processors. A new case will be unveiled that takes many characteristics of the Powerbook and XServe. the front will have usb and firewire ports.

Spec predictions:

1Ghz, 1.2Ghz, 1.4Ghz

single, dual, dual

256MB RAM, 512 MB RAM, 1GB RAM

80GB HD, 100GB HD, 120GB HD

Superdrive Standard

Geforce 4 MX, Geforce 4MX, Geforce 4 Ti

Gigabit Ethernet Standard

266Mhz DDR Buses (possible 333 but unlikely)

3 Firewire Ports- 2 on back and one on front

5 USB ports- 3 on back and 2 on front

Enhanced audio capabilities (possibility of some sort of Appl endorsed 4.1 sound system)

ATA/100 Standard

AGP 4X

New 2 button mouse with wheel

$1699, $2299, $2999

2.) New updated iMac

-Major change will be the addition of a Special Edition 17 inch Model. this model will have all the same specs except for a 17 inch LCD and a 1Ghz G4.

Spec predictions:

15 inch, 15 inch, 17 inch

Combo, Superdrive, Superdrive

60GB, 80GB, 80GB

128 MB, 256MB, 256MB

Geforce 2MX 32 MB Standard

800Mhz, 933Mhz, 1Ghz

133Mhz Bus Standard

$1499, $1799, $2199

3.) iPod

-major changes are the addition of a remote on the headphone line, cheaper prices, and a 20GB model.

5GB, 10GB, 20GB

$299, $399, $499

4.) mac OS X: jaguar

-Complete demo. Revealing new features and announcing release date which will be late August.

5.) Big announcement... One more thing

- Apple will unveil a digital camera/camcorder. it'll be hard drive based and be claimed as the first consumer tapeless camcorder. It'll use Toshiba's 20GB 1.8 inch HD and record in your option of MPEG 4 or MPEG 2. It'll also have a several megapixel lense for digital photos and will be very small but not too small to make it hard to handle. It'll link via firewire to iMovie 3 and iPhoto. 2 Hours of video will transfer in minutes.

-Not sure if it'll be the same camera or an additional kritter like camera but there will be an announcement that iChat will have MPEG 4 video conferencing. Apple will sell cameras and any third party firewire camera will work as well. Streaming will require broadband.

There you have it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree with most of this. Though applenut and I have been know to go at it like rabid dogs in the past, I have always found his predictions very reasonable. I don't think we'll see the two button mouse though.

A major pro line revision.....it is about freakin' time.

Remember how much last year's MWNY SUCKED? I do. All too well.

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 62 of 110
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>

A major pro line revision.....it is about freakin' time.

Remember how much last year's MWNY SUCKED? I do. All too well.

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

God, I remember squirming on the couch watching 10 on 10 and just feeling embarrassed to even be watching it on TechTV.

MWNY predictions are about inline with AppleNut
  • Reply 63 of 110
    Eh, MWNY is going to be a dissapointment of unparralleled dimensions.

Jaguar demo.

Powermacs:

1 GHz G4, 1.13 GHz G4, dual 1.2 GHz G4

133 MHz system bus

PC2100 DDR MOBO, same "hack" as the XServe.

Same case design, possibly new color scheme.

That's it, nothing more. Lots of talk about Apple stores and other boring stuff. Maybe a new iPod or some other digital device, but nothing more.
  • Reply 64 of 110
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    You know what? I just realized that it's much more fum speculating about all this than having the G5 come true. On the other hand i waste too much time at these boards, especially starting about 1 month before the big shows.

Anyway, as I said before, Steve announce's Apples switching to selling scooters. The AI borads are full of posts bitching about the new horsepower gap.
  • Reply 65 of 110
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    the most the powermac will get is to 1.2 ghz....over the past 3(?) revisions, the top speed has been increased between 133 mhz- 167 mhz...i don't see any good reason to expect more than this...

there really aren't many rumors anymore...there's nothing out there....MOSR is all guesses (for the most part)...they just regurgitate what they read on this forum....

and i don't know if i believe what The Register was reporting 6 months ago...it all sounded good at the time, but there were no results....i'd love to believe it....

or maybe we will get the mystical "G5", whatever the hell that is....

many people here are setting themselves up for a big letdown at MWNY, just like every year, basing their claims on what they'd really really really like to see and not on many facts...and the belief that if apple doesn't release what they say, then apple's going to die

i'll believe it when I see it
  • Reply 66 of 110
    What I'd like to see:

2.0 GHz G5-based minitowers, utilizing 333MHz DDR-RAM, dual-processors, room for at least 2 gigs of RAM, 8x AGP, and firewire 2, all for the highest end; 1.4GHz G4s in the highest-end LCD iMacs; 1GHz G4s in the highest-end iBooks; and 1.5GHz G4s in the TiBook.

What I expect to see:

* One week before the Expo, grandiose, fantasyland Expo predictions by Apple itself.

* Following would be Expo announcements which are below the hype. Way below. These may include:

- G4s maxed out at 1.2GHz, possibly in dual configurations;

- DDR-RAM mobos, MAYBE going as high as 266MHz, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't go past 200;

- Possibly a consumer / digital hub-type device;

- Possibly a revamped case design for the MTs;

- Possibly a 900MHz LCD iMac in the high-end;

- No firewire 2;

- No G5s;

- Nothing new in the laptops.

Based on the general trend in Macworlds from the past few years, compared to the hype and promise from Apple and Apple followers alike, I'd say we're in for minor, non-competitive advancements, overall, a disappointment to anyone but those in love with SJ.
  • Reply 67 of 110
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    pretty much agreeing with AppleNuts prediction. A dual 1,2 mid-end might be a little much, but I'm sure hoping for it, since I'm probably getting one carrying the $2299 pricetag...
  • Reply 68 of 110
    Reality = .5*((Pre Expo RDF) - (Post Expo RDF))

[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 69 of 110
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>Reality = .5*((Pre Expo RDF) - (Post Expo RDF))</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nice.

The only problem with it is that the RDF hasn't been turned on yet as far as I know... has Apple or Steve said anything about MWNY? I think this is more like an AIFDF: AppleInsider Forums Distortion Field, where rabid Mac fans & Apple haters wind themselves up into a manic frenzy. In this state no company could deliver on the expectation... and if they could then 6 months later they'd be screwed at the next big event because the frenzy would just be that much worse.

Take a reality pill and go back and read what Moki & Dorsal have said recently -- they are fairly reasonable predicitons.

[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: Programmer ]</p>
  • Reply 70 of 110
    I predict

1. Apple.com, AI, and Macnn will go down off and on throughout the day of the expo

2. There will be about 20 threads about how Apple is doomed and the credibility of various sources all in future hardware where they will run amok for a day or so before being locked, moved or forgotten.

3. No matter what is introduced, an immoderate number of folks will begin predicting Apple is saving the "really good stuff" for MWSF
  • Reply 71 of 110
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong> AIFDF: AppleInsider Forums Distortion Field, where rapid Mac fans & Apple haters wind themselves up into a manic frenzy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well maybe that explains why everyone is so concerned about clock speed here, after all our machines have to keep up with us rapid Mac users

[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: BobtheTomato ]</p>
  • Reply 72 of 110
    zerozero Posts: 39member
    1.2 to 1.6 Ghz G4 CPU

No Single Processor Units anymore.

From 2 CPUs up to 6 CPUs G4 Motherboards. (PowerMac and Xserve)

iTunes 3 with AAC Encoding (QT6)

iPod Firmware Update for AAC Encoding (QT6)

iMovie 3

maybe...
  • Reply 73 of 110
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I think Applenut has pretty reasonable expectations which I agree with mostly, though I'll make a view comments(rants?):

1) PowerMac: Please explain to me why they put in a Geforce4 MX (more of a consumer-level card) in a computer that is supposed to be aimed at power users/creative professionals? That card is nothing more than a cleverly disguised Geforce 2 MX with one or two tweaks, and is a poor excuse for a video card. Make a Geforce4 Ti standard.

2) 17" iMac, while it would be nice, seems like a 50/50 shot. I say no, so I'd like to be surprised by Apple

3) Price drops in displays? Please? 15" for $599 is now high, as is $999 for the 17". If they could price drop them to about $399-$449 15", and $799 17", that would be nice.
  • Reply 74 of 110
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>

Well maybe that explains why everyone is so concerned about clock speed here, after all our machines have to keep up with us rapid Mac users

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good catch. I guess I was typing too rabidly.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    [quote]Originally posted by MCQ:

<strong>1) PowerMac: Please explain to me why they put in a Geforce4 MX (more of a consumer-level card) in a computer that is supposed to be aimed at power users/creative professionals? That card is nothing more than a cleverly disguised Geforce 2 MX with one or two tweaks, and is a poor excuse for a video card. Make a Geforce4 Ti standard.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Believe it or not, not everybody wants an expensive killer fast video card (amazing, eh?). And the geForce4 MX is actually a significant step up from the geForce 2 MX, you're just blinded by the power of the GF4Ti. The GF4MX video capabilities are actually better than on the Ti (don't ask me why!).

Part of the fault for this mess lies with nVidia, but they should have it straightened out by first half of '03.

[quote]<strong>

2) 17" iMac, while it would be nice, seems like a 50/50 shot. I say no, so I'd like to be surprised by Apple

3) Price drops in displays? Please? 15" for $599 is now high, as is $999 for the 17". If they could price drop them to about $399-$449 15", and $799 17", that would be nice.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The LCD's are still pricey and supply in the quantity Apple needs them is a little iffy. We can hope though...
  • Reply 76 of 110
    Check out Dorsal's latest post... maybe a G5's not completely out of the question.

Of course in the other corner you have Moki saying that Moto's out of it and we have to wait for IBM to deliver The Big Iron. Maybe they're both right and IBM and Moto each have a core? At least they both agree that we'll get more memory bandwidth...
  • Reply 77 of 110
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>Check out Dorsal's latest post... maybe a G5's not completely out of the question.

Of course in the other corner you have Moki saying that Moto's out of it and we have to wait for IBM to deliver The Big Iron. Maybe they're both right and IBM and Moto each have a core? At least they both agree that we'll get more memory bandwidth...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't see why they wouldn't, since they co-developed Book E and agreed to move their PPC lines over to that standard.

That would be the best case, since Apple could then continue to rely on two vendors, and more options, rather than sole-sourcing.
  • Reply 78 of 110
    hirhir Posts: 66member
    Steve Jobs spends 2 hours talking about Jaguar and iChat. No new hardware is released or updated.
  • Reply 79 of 110
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    iBook G5, 2.6GHz, 666MHz FSB
  • Reply 80 of 110
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by hir:

<strong>Steve Jobs spends 2 hours talking about Jaguar and iChat. No new hardware is released or updated.</strong><hr></blockquote>

when this happens i'll learn to enjoy osxp.