Apple's 2014 iPads to sport Touch ID & TSMC-built A8 CPU, 12.9" iPad unlikely till 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The analyst blames the slower than expected sales of the latest iPad mini with Retina on Apple having thickened the device in order to build in the higher-resolution display.

"This change proved unpopular among consumers," he wrote. "We think iPad mini with Retina display made the same mistake, explaining why it's not selling as well as the previous generation of iPad mini."

Is this guy a complete frigging moron?? No one has any idea that's the case. No one.

• Reply 22 of 49
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Go take a holiday from here.

Well I suppose the truth must hurt because where's the innovation?

Touch ID -which it should have had last year? and a faster processor? Meh.

• Reply 23 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pazuzu wrote: »

Should? What obligation did they have? Would you have been OK if the random iPhone 5S didn't come with Touch ID because they used the components in the iPads? Of course you would because that would be a bad move by Apple and you just can't wait for the day that the 90's Apple happens again despite no such evidence of that.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Rumored 12.9" iPad delayed and then summarily cancelled.

Noooooooooooooo... [runs off, wipes away tears]

• Reply 25 of 49
    Hey this is we all know that after Oct22 ... Stop saying news like that.. Bring rumor Like Mac book Power Button or Touch Pad with Touch ID or Mac min with A8 chip.. Uh ha .. Make Mock Up and say these are leak.... these are awesome????
  • Reply 26 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    This reads like stagnant growth to me. Once you buy one iPad do you really need an upgrade every year?

From my perspective Apple really screwed up this year, A7 was a nice upgrade but unfortunately they failed to up grade RAM and flash at each price point. This put me off doing an upgrade this year. Let's face it the price of flash has dropped so far there is no rational explanation for the line up of iPads with the current memory sizes. That and iPad really needs more RAM to fully realize its potential.

My hope is that A8 supports LPDDR 4 RAM to allow Apple to atleast double RAM while keeping power usage in check. That would solve the RAM problem. For flash simply using a larger flash device would be nice but maybe they could implement a higher performance interface. Performance isn't simply about the CPU and it is about time for Apple attack the other shortcomings in the iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    He has a point.

AI now has 6 Breaking news articles for one analyst's prophecies. This is what we expect immediately following an Apple event with real products being introduced, but not for rumours and conjecture. At this point I have think Kuo is paying AI for these articles.
    ]

I agree. The whoring is getting pretty obvious.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Well if you want news about Apple here it is.

Greg Christie resigned.
    New seed of 10.9.3 released.

And that's a fairly busy day. Most days AI would have nothing to report.

I'm here for the rumours.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    I find it pretty disgusting that AI is regurgitating and publicizing an "analysis" that Apple did not sell more Retina iPad mini's because they are microscopically thicker than the non-retina. I mean- are you fucking kidding me? I own both, and damned if I've EVER noticed a difference. Actually, this is the first I hear about it. It's already the thinnest tablet in the industry. I don't believe there's a single fucking person on the planet that would base such a buying decision on a literal hair of thickness- yet this analyst wants us to believe there's a shitload, and this website is content to give legitimacy to this embarrassing statement.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I find it pretty disgusting that AI is regurgitating and publicizing an "analysis" that Apple did not sell more Retina iPad mini's because they are microscopically thicker than the non-retina. I mean- are you fucking kidding me? I own both, and damned if I've EVER noticed a difference. Actually, this is the first I hear about it. It's already the thinnest tablet in the industry. I don't believe there's a single fucking person on the planet that would base such a buying decision on a literal hair of thickness- yet this analyst wants us to believe there's a shitload, and this website is content to give legitimacy to this embarrassing statement.

I seem to remember it was half a millimeter. Unnoticeable.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,440moderator
    Separately, Apple is reportedly working on a 12.9" iPad to generate new growth momentum via a richer entertainment and productivity experience. However, the analyst said the product is unlikely to make its way to market until next year, as Apple is believed to working on new usability features to accompany the release.

Made up device delayed until next year and this year it's business as usual. Surprise, surprise.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Would you have been OK if the random iPhone 5S didn't come with Touch ID because they used the components in the iPads?

Sure - as I didn't want to buy an iPhone! I was looking for an iPad. No Touch ID, only 1GB RAM, no buy...

• Reply 33 of 49
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Personally I wouldn't consider this "breaking" news. Mostly because I expected it since it was included on the phone.

I know several iPad 2 owners who are literally waiting for "Touch ID" to upgrade their iPad.

Count me as one of those. I'm on the "non S" upgrade cycle for my iPhone so I know my iPhone 6 will have it and I wanted my next iPad to have it as well so I'm not buying one until it's included. My iPad 2 is getting a little long in the tooth though.

• Reply 34 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Sure - as I didn't want to buy an iPhone! I was looking for an iPad. No Touch ID, only 1GB RAM, no buy...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Like you would have any concept of the difference between 1 or 2 GB of RAM in an iPad.

• Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

FIVE consecutive breaking articles based upon Ming''s words! This has to be a record!!

we have to wait 9 months to see how many children born to AI staff are named Ming.   I mean rumor orgy volume is at 11 on this one.

• Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Noooooooooooooo... [runs off, wipes away tears]

the individual sales market isn't the target for this... large institutional (and I think Universities are top in line for this, followed by Sales Force Automation, followed by a TLA agency of the gov't).   A million individual voices aren't a big deal (apple knows most will grit their teeth and buy a 10") , however, committments to 5-10K unit sales over a couple years is a big deal, as would be 'we love your iPads, but we can get XXX to develop our big app on the Android based PhallusMaximus by HTLGsung, which is slated to be out running the JuicyFruit version of Android'

12" tablets aren't selling now.  There needs to be a compelling job for it to do.  

I think most corps see touchID a bigger deal than screen real estate.

• Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Apple's phased adoption is par for the course.   Did Retina Display deploy on all systems same year?  802.11ac?  

Building into the flagship (and best unit selling) device now drives to a 'base support' of cool stuff, without causing recourse constraints across the board.

TouchID's real value isn't in iOS7.  It will be in iOS9, when 50% of all devices (and 90% of new sales) will have TouchID, and the OS and security critical apps will have it (Confirm stock trade/payment/patient's_prescription_refill/your_vote* -  press your finger to your Home Key...)

And TouchID manufacturing will have bootstrapped to scale...  

The long game is a b!tch... but it's how apple plays the game.

• Reply 38 of 49
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Like you would have any concept of the difference between 1 or 2 GB of RAM in an iPad.

Please, you're not that well equipped.

How old are you, 12?

• Reply 39 of 49
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member

--

• Reply 40 of 49
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

So then stop coming here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He has a point.

AI now has 6 Breaking news articles for one analyst's prophecies. This is what we expect immediately following an Apple event with real products being introduced, but not for rumours and conjecture. At this point I have think Kuo is paying AI for these articles.

It's the apple insider app in my phone giving me 3 notifications in a row for rumors...I don't care about rumors, I want NEWS, when apple has/announces an event or releases something, then I want a notification.