Apple vs. Samsung docs reveal Galaxy Tab was a flop and Samsung knew it

Comments

• Reply 21 of 190
    supaflysupafly Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

IDC claims that there were 284 million smartphones shipped last quarter.

But the only manufacturer that gives any number is Apple.

From IDC's website:

IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker® is built on the foundation of IDC's network of country-level mobile phone tracking services, and its bottom-up methodology delivers an accurate view of the mobile phone market from those closest to it.

Can they be trusted? Who knows. Don't they get paid for their data?

I think IDC tracks tablets as well... but we see what happens when a company actually presents their numbers...

I think part of the problem is that any phone that runs a version of Android gets counted in these numbers.

That includes flagship Android phones.... and the ultra-cheap Android phones sold in parts of the world that barely have internet. Those low-end phone are replacing flip-phones and might only be used for voice and text.

I actually do believe that there are "smartphones" out in the world that run some version of Android but don't surf the web too much. So if you consider that... Android's market share looks less impressive.

It could be that 8 out of 10 smartphones sold today are running Android... that would be the 80% market share.

BUT... it could be that only 2 out of those 8 are actually used for apps and internet. Who knows.

There's obviously something going on, though.

That might explain why developers still focus on making apps for the iPhone with its 17% market share... while ignoring Android's 80% market share.

Clearly that 80% isn't all it's cracked up to be. It might a big number on paper... but it doesn't get the results.

You make some fair points. However, I have to ask one question. If Samsung are doing SO well and outselling iPhones like they claim, why on earth are they so scared to release actual sales numbers for the world to see? This post by DED is a classic example of why they don't. They're simply a bunch of liars. This is a case of fake it, before you make it.

• Reply 22 of 190
    If this the truth, and Samsung fudged the figures to its shareholders, then there is greater at stake. Firstly the stockmarket would collapse the shares, indictments may commence against those who lied and manipulated the figures and shareholders generallly wont be too pleased so a general cleaning of house of upper management would occur. the company would be turned upside down and the stockmarket would take a while to trust the company again. This doesnt really seem to happening so the truth and veracity of all this of it may never be known.
  • Reply 23 of 190
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    So if the tab range was a complete disaster and selling an embarrassing amount in the US then by showing it isn't Apple undermining their own argument on how it has lost billions in profit and irreparable harm?

The article doesn't say who is presenting the evidence, Apple or Samsung. Apple, however, can use the information to show Samsung was copying Apple because it was desperate for sales.
  • Reply 24 of 190
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    tbell wrote: »
    The article doesn't say who is presenting the evidence, Apple or Samsung. Apple, however, can use the information to show Samsung was copying Apple because it was desperate for sales.

Also Apple doesn't have to show Samsung made a profit, only that Apple lost sales.
  • Reply 25 of 190
    supaflysupafly Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mark6051 View Post

If this the truth, and Samsung fudged the figures to its shareholders, then there is greater at stake. Firstly the stockmarket would collapse the shares, indictments may commence against those who lied and manipulated the figures and shareholders generallly wont be too pleased so a general cleaning of house of upper management would occur. the company would be turned upside down and the stockmarket would take a while to trust the company again. This doesnt really seem to happening so the truth and veracity of all this of it may never be known.

I would love it if the scenario you described came true. Lets hope.

• Reply 26 of 190
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Obviously their desperation didn't work. :D
  • Reply 27 of 190
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Also Apple doesn't have to show Samsung made a profit, only that Apple lost sales.

If Sammy wasn't selling those Tabs they certainly wouldn't have been taking sales away from Apple. :\ It does seem to be a very odd piece of evidence if it was Apple that wanted it entered.
  • Reply 28 of 190
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    So if the tab range was a complete disaster and selling an embarrassing amount in the US then by showing it isn't Apple undermining their own argument on how it has lost billions in profit and irreparable harm?

This documentation illustrates the initial conditions under which, I'm betting, Apple will now go on to show how Samsung then scrambled to copy elements of iOS in an effort to close the gap with the iPad. Patience, patience. We'll get to that point soon enough.
  • Reply 29 of 190
    mark6051 wrote: »

When the story was first reported a couple years ago Samsung executive Ms. Lee Young-hee clarified "those figures (2M in unit sales) don’t represent actual sales to consumers. Instead, they are the number of Galaxy Tab devices that Samsung has shipped to wireless companies and retailers around the world since product’s formal introduction in late September" according to a report by the Wall Street Journal. (Edit: In her comments, she used the terms “sell-in” to reflect Samsung’s sales to distributors and “sell-out” to reflect the distributors’ sales to consumers.)

This isn't a new story to Apple, Samsung investors, news media or long-time regular readers of AppleInsider.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/31/samsung_admits_its_ipad_rival_galaxy_tab_sales_were_actually_quite_small
  • Reply 30 of 190
    Thanks again DED for a well researched post.

This question stands out for TL;DR crowd:
    I wonder if the bloggers and analytic teams also realize, that by their coercive misrepresentation of the markets, they may very well wake up some day and find their hero companies bankrupt. Thus depriving themselves of the very devices that they so desire and dote upon endlessly. You can't subsidize a product endlessly, losing millions in the process.

Denying the truth of the markets is dangerous, even if you're in the business of manipulating them. Allowing them to be manipulated is criminal.

Again, I don't understand Samsung's competitors in the PC/Android market why they are so docile in pointing out the unfair advantage that a convicted cheater is allowed to continue to harm their businesses. They have the most to lose in this fight, not Apple.

I'll bet the majority of analysts who excoriate Apple at every turn actually carry iPads and iPhones. Just like all those others who receive paid sponsorships from Samsung (Ellen Degeneres, David Beckham, David Ortiz, et el).
  • Reply 31 of 190
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If Sammy wasn't selling those Tabs they certainly wouldn't have been taking sales away from Apple. image It does seem to be a very odd piece of evidence if it was Apple that wanted it entered.

Perception is reality

As is evidence in Samsung's advertising and of the third party market/anecdotal research, as well as just asking any of your friends, colleagues or anyone you meet who have purchased the tabs, the most common response from them is, "It's outselling Apple, [so it must be better]."

The same has been declared for Samsung's smartphones. 

Interesting that the iOS gets such significantly high internet usage with such a smaller market? 

Obviously, one is myth, the other math. And for the ignorant, myth outsells math.

• Reply 32 of 190
    Happy with my Note 10.1

Yes, you would be after Samsung/Google implemented a whole host of Apple innovations into the software that runs it. Even if it turns out that some of Apple's innovations are not patentable (i.e, if Samsung successfully contests the validity of some Apple patents) and therefore Samsung and Google are legally allowed to adopt Apple's innovations, the evidence seems to be mounting that it's Apple that is the innovation leader where it counts in this space and not Samsung.
  • Reply 33 of 190
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Apple wants Samsung to stop using its technologies and designs. The lawsuit is an attempt to stop Samsung, or at least attach a price to stealing so it will slow down or stop. Apple has to argue that it has lost profits and/or that Samsung should be dinged for profiting illegally from Apple’s work. That’s how the patent system and courts work.  

If as you say Samsung isn't selling them anyway, they're only dust magnets, where's the loss to Apple or the profit to Samsung they want a piece of?

/s

Ah, I see the Androidefender is back again....
  • Reply 34 of 190
    onhka wrote: »
    As is evidence in Samsung's advertising and of the third party market/anecdotal research, as well as just asking any of your friends, colleagues or anyone you meet who have purchased the tabs, the most common response from them is, "It's outselling Apple, [so it must be better]."

The same has been declared for Samsung's smartphones. 

Interesting that the iOS gets such significantly high internet usage with such a smaller market? 

Obviously, one is myth, the other math. And for the ignorant, myth outsells math.

I'm not aware of anyone ever claiming even Samsung's entire lineup of tablets outsold any single iPad model. In addition if consumers weren't buying an iPad it wouldn't appear to be that they were buying a Samsung Tab instead. This report doesn't in any way help show Samsung stealing significant sales from Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 190
    Ah, I see the Androidefender is back again....

And I see you're back with the one-liners on a subject I'll guess you'd say you have no opinion on anyway and didn't care about in the first place based on your recent responses. :\
  • Reply 36 of 190
    Thanks, DED. Everyone except the trolls here have known what these numbers are confirming for us: That Samsung tablets are a joke. It was quite obvious when they stopped reporting volume shipments, and have refused to give out channel data.

Such evidence from the trial is worth its weight in gold. More than makes up for Shiller's sophomoric memo to the ad agency, or SJ's email about the 'holy war'.
  • Reply 37 of 190
    hametahameta Posts: 79member
    [B][SIZE=5][COLOR=red]THEY'RE ALL LACKAYS OF VILLAIN ![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Not Only IDC, Gartner and Strategy Analytics but All Other, What You Call " Wall-Street-Related but World Widely Professional Reserch & Analystic Firms " Are SAME KIND OF KIN !!!!!!

They're ALL Working FOR THE SAKE OF VILLAIN !

Look at THIS !

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41643/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Kantar Research U.K. Published Regularly Report on World-Wide Smart Phone Market Share Especialy Elaborating 12 Significant Countries and/or Regions in The World Respectively This January Wrapping Up The Entire Annual Result of 2013.

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/News/news-articles/Android-ends-the-year-on-top-but-Apple-scores-in-key-markets/

But Oddly Enough, As You See This Table of SpreadSheet, However They Claimed They Had Researched 12 Countries/Regions Including " JAPAN ", OF COURSE JAPAN is One of The Most Significant Country in The World Not Only As Hi-Tech Parts Suppliers but As Mega-Consumption Mecca of Finished Goods, THERE'S NONE DESCRIPTION ABOUT JAPAN NOWHERE IN THE TABLE !

What's Happened ?

The REASON is

The Total Result of JAPAN in 2013 REALLY SEEMS

[B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#f3f]" ADVERSE TRUTH " to Them !!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Because All The Pundits & Wall Street Pro Analysts Backed by VILLAIN HAVE INSISTED " Only in North America, Especially in U.S., i-Phone Sold As Well As Android Cheap Phones Geographically in The World.
    So They Want to Say Android Cheap Phones Are Kicking i-Phone Out Of The Almost of ALL World's Significant Markets Only EXCEPT in U.S.

Kanter ALSO CONCLUDED THE SAME VIEW in SUMMARY OF TEXT.

Although They Cited About JAPAN's Rather Strong Tendency for i-OS Devices Very Lightly in Summary of Text, As You See in The Table THERE's NO TRUE CHART & FIGURES, NUMBERS about JAPAN.

TRUE CHART IS HERE :

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41645/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41642/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

If You Look at Annual Total Result of Smart Phone Market Share in JAPAN in 2013, VERY LOOK LIKE U.S.
    Even Only This Fact Overturns LACKAYS of VILLAIN's Assertion, " i-Phone Sells As Well As Android Cheap Phones ONLY IN U.S. U.S. is Very Peculiar Region."

But MORE IMPORTANTLY, Look at This Chart !

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41640/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

This is The Chart which Shows The Market Share of i-Phone VS Android After NTT DoCoMo ( JAPAN's Biggest Carrier Equivalent to " China Mobile " in China ) Joined The Sales of i-Phone Since The End of September in 2013 EVENTUALLY AFTER LONG LONG STRUGGLE & TURMOIL OF SALES BECAUSE OF ABSENCE of i-Phone.

And This Tendency Keeps to Date.
    That Means, i-Phone's Share ( in Smart Phone Market ) in JAPAN is NOW

[B][SIZE=5][COLOR=red]Approximately 70% ![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

WHO SAID AT THE END OF 2012, " i-Phone Era is Over. Android PREVAIL NEXT YEAR in Japan. " HA, Ha !!!!!!
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Reply 38 of 190

And I see you're back with the one-liners on a subject I'm sure you'll say you have no opinion on anyway and didn't care about in the first place. :\

Your regular pro-Android, pro-Samsung, pro-Google, anti-Apple posts in a pro-Apple forum are not worth much more than one line by way of response.

Here's a bonus second line: see above for my 'opinion.' 8-)
  • Reply 39 of 190
    When the story was first reported a couple years ago Samsung executive Lee Young-hee clarified "those figures (2M in unit sales) don’t represent actual sales to consumers. Instead, they are the number of Galaxy Tab devices that Samsung has shipped to wireless companies and retailers around the world since product’s formal introduction in late September" according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.

This isn't a new story to Apple, Samsung investors, news media or long-time regular readers of AppleInsider.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/31/samsung_admits_its_ipad_rival_galaxy_tab_sales_were_actually_quite_small

And thus began the great "shipped vs sold" meme.
  • Reply 40 of 190
    sflocal wrote: »
    No... that voice in your head telling you that your nothing more than a worthless troll... is real! :smokey:

supafly wrote: »

You're a complete and utter moron! If you had a brain cell it would die of loneliness.

Alright kids... to the corner... both of you!  It's Time-Out for you two!

Nonsense. There is no equivalency between the two posts.