Florian Mueller backs Samsung legal strategy of trivializing Apple's technology

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Interesting how Mueller left his tweets up while DED appears to have removed his.

Like most of what you say, that's not true at all. Florian send out a series of tweets and 5 minutes later announced a block. Sort of uncharacteristic behavior. Perhaps his account was hacked like the creative director of blackberry
  • Reply 62 of 88
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Is it truly that hard for you people to admit that mommy and daddy weren't nice to you?

Yeah, this new angry and bitter GTR isn't nearly as enjoyable as the old GTR.  I hope whatever's got you down lately turns around for you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Like most of what you say, that's not true at all. Florian send out a series of tweets and 5 minutes later announced a block. Sort of I characteristic behavior. Perhaps his account was hacked like the creative director of blackberry

I was going off of Meuller's tweet where he said, "@DanielEran I will now block you on Twitter because you're basically just behaving like a troll and apparently not interested in facts." which suggested to me that there was a back and forth going on.  In all honesty I could be wrong, I don't use Twitter and wasn't following along.  I only first looked at Mueller's feed when a poster mentioned that Mueller tweeted some corrections to the errors he felt were present in the article.  If there was no back and forth, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Finally, speaking about what people say not being the truth.  The last time we talked you claimed that I once stated that the Zune was a success and cited Amazon sales as the reasoning.  I still say that I never said anything that could come close to resembling that statement in any way shape or form.  Please don't talk to me about being truthful until you back up your claim or admit you were wrong.

• Reply 63 of 88
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

My night is free.

Not doing anything with the wife or girlfriend?

Friends forgot to ask you out?

Couldn't find a good book, movie, or something to watch on the TV?

Thank God for AppleInsider.

;)

• Reply 64 of 88
    droidftw wrote: »
    I was going off of Meuller's tweet where he said, "@DanielEran I will now block you on Twitter because you're basically just behaving like a troll and apparently not interested in facts." which suggested to me that there was a back and forth going on.  In all honesty I could be wrong, I don't use Twitter and wasn't following along.  I only first looked at Mueller's feed when a poster mentioned that Mueller tweeted some corrections to the errors he felt were present in the article.  If there was no back and forth, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Finally, speaking about what people say not being the truth.  The last time we talked you claimed that I once stated that the Zune was a success and cited Amazon sales as the reasoning.  I still say that I never said anything that could come close to resembling that statement in any way shape or form.  Please don't talk to me about being truthful until you back up your claim or admit you were wrong.

Not sure if Corrections could answer that. He speaks of DED in the third person. How could he know the answers to your questions? ;)
  • Reply 65 of 88
    Nooo! Not Florian Mueller! He was the chosen one! He was supposed to destroy the Samsung...not join them! Who's next? "Well-connected" analyst Ming Chi Kuo? In Ming's next note to investors, it is decided from current supply chain checks, Apple is doomed and all should abandoned ship. Apple's upcoming iDevices are going to suck because they lack interesting features that aren't refined or finished and Samsung's approach to throwing the gimmicky kitchen sink features that aren't intended to be refined or finished in its devices is just better business. This will of course be tweeted from an iPhone.

Oh and that screen repair deal? Geez. I thought it was universally understood that Apple was the most expensive in all aspects. You know...Apple tax and all that?
  • Reply 66 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

I can't wait to get the Galaxy Note 4

That's nice.

Quote:

That's nice.

Quote:

That's nice.

• Reply 67 of 88
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Of course he holds that view. Florian Mueller has been an anti-Apple troll for a long time. Yeah, he seems to know what he's talking about, but he's always skewed against Apple, and supports whoever is attacking Apple, while trivializing Apple's arguments. It's not a coincidence.
    The problem is too many people just don't understand patents. A patent has nothing to do with how difficult the invention was to develop, rather it is completely related to the invention being unique and non obvious. Over the course of the development of the automobile many a mechanic has invented patentable tools or idea related to parts or functions of a car. If that idea solve a problem in a unique way or results in new functionality the device or tool is patentable. It doesn't matter if the first working device was hammered together in the back of a shop in a day or even an hour.
    What the **** is the point of developing anything anymore, if everything has "little value"?
    This is the thing development would come to a quick halt if everybody and their brother was free to steal your work. The whole reason for the patent system was to promote growth by giving the developer of a technology free use of his idea for a fixed period of time. It is pretty obvious that the system has worked very well up until now.

I really hate to say this but it really seems like the anti patent trolls are simply too stupid to think up of ideas on their own and have no idea what it is like to develop a product on their own or as part of a team.
    Amazing how every smartphone in existence now has followed the iPhone template, which I guess had "little value" to begin with, right?

Frankly that is a very significant point, if Apples approach had no value then it would not have all of these copy cats. In a way Samsung is supporting the idea that Apples inventions have significant value because by stealing Apples tech they have become the only significant smart phone competitor to Apples devices. If the tech had no value Samsung would not have been so successful with their theft.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryan Tianao View Post

Hahaha - quote of the week right there in the comedy category!

Florian is simply stating that $40 per device for 5 patents is too much.  Is that unreasonable? What would be too much? $400 per patent? $4000 ? Thousands of patents on a phone, and considering a lot of the patents generally are of dubious value, I doubt $40 for 5 patents is reasonable.

$40 might be reasonable based on the fact that Apple gives its entire user base a consistently high quality UI. That UI and the iPhone build are part and parcel of what defines an Apple product. That Samsung found a need for Apple's IP and yet values it little defines the state of Samsung UI development, a hodge podge of mobile OS UI elements, and I await its market share being consumed by the Chinese OEM's on the low end and Apple on the high end, extinguishing its current profitability in the market.

As for Flourian, I now believe that he cannot discriminate the difference between his favored Android OS and Apple's iOS; hence he sees lesser value for Apple's IP. 

• Reply 69 of 88

Apple's patents are neither SEP nor FRAND, Apple is free to ask anything they like, including the blatantly unreasonable. I'm guessing that Apple would much prefer that the competition not use these patents at all. But, so far, they cannot make that happen, Samsung was found guilty but is free to continue infringing, Apple cannot get injunctions against Samsung.

Maybe they hope they can stop Samsung from using their stuff because it's too expensive.

• Reply 70 of 88
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    Florian changed his tone, overnight, a few months ago. Whoever proves when/how Samsung bought him off will be my hero.
  • Reply 71 of 88
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    I've always suspected that the circumstance of Microsoft winning the free use of most of Apple's Macintosh patents in Windows (something that resulted from Apple accidentally granting an overly broad license in the early days and then regretting it) has created a climate of expectations that makes it much harder for people to accept that Apple's more recent patents should be exclusive to Apple.

Apple wanted very much to avoid a repeat of Mac vs. Windows with iOS vs. anything, but because of Windows, people have grown up thinking, consciously or not, that competitors are entitled to produce like equivalents of anything Apple makes, because the Mac vs. Windows situation normalized that expectation.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Bryan Tianao View Post

How about some facts in this discussion

Well, there’s not a single one in either of your posts, so I’m confused why you’d even bother calling for some.

…prada…

GET OUT.

…compete in the market place - try suing less, it hurts your customers by holding back progress of technology by spending $ on lawyers instead.

Shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by Bryan Tianao View Post

Irrelevant. This is Prior Art.

You don’t have the first clue what you’re talking about. Stop talking.

just as Apple now is looking at going into the phablet market

Nice FUD.

• Reply 73 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Quote:

I wouldn't know.  I haven't had a chance to use Office for iPad.

EXACTLY. You haven't used something yet you can still post an opinion about how good it is compared to others, then hide behind the "I thought we were talking about Office Mobile). Numerous people pointed this out to you - nobody believes that's what you were talking about, or that you didn't understand what people were actually talking about. The very definition of a troll.

• Reply 74 of 88

I thought it was "sauce for the goose," not the gander. And besides, is this guy an expert witness at the trial? No? Then who gives a damn?

• Reply 75 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

It says a lot that Florian Mueller is using a Samsung Note 2. Who is this little shit anyway?

That’s not an appropriate way to talk about people in the forums. Also, there’s more to be gained from observing people’s experiences with Samsung products (i.e. the $400 screen replacement. I couldn’t even have imagined that Samsung was charging that sort of fee. Remember when people were outraged that Apple was charging anything at all? Also, why do Samsung owners have no expectations of fair treatment?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I thought that numerous AI articles in the past have heralded him as a legal genius for coming down on Apple's side of the patent trials.  Does my memory fail me?

Florian works very hard doing something that is both unique and very valuable: parsing all the legalese and procedure in various cases and sharing his observations, opinions and factual research. His blog is a rich trove of information, and he is regularly cited as an expert source, both by AI and many other places. 

The idea that one of his opinions, and the logic behind it, can’t be examined is absurd. While the vast majority of his work has been neutral (if there is a perceived "bias" it is because the truth simply favors companies that are innovators rather than SEP / NPE patent abusers), his latest pieces ripping at Apple’s entry-negotiating royalty demands from a company that claims to have "the next big thing" simply need some perspective. 

If you stop looking at the world in a simplistic, binary black and white, you’ll see there is plenty of grey and even vibrant color to every situation. Some of Apple’s demands may be unreasonable (particularly since it, like everyone else, has to start bargaining from a position that allows for a margin of negotiation), and there may be patents Samsung or others have that Apple needs to license.

Constantly offering criticism that is devoid of any real logic or insight is not really a contribution to the forums. I’d encourage you to think more and share something useful when you decide to type in a comment.  

• Reply 76 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

I thought it was "sauce for the goose," not the gander. And besides, is this guy an expert witness at the trial? No? Then who gives a damn?

A goose and a gander are two genders of of the same bird. 

The expression means that a cook makes one sauce regardless of the gender of the bird being served.

Idiomatically, it means there should be one rule or standard for everyone of the same circumstances.

The subheading is a pun because "gander" also refers to a brief examination of something. We are examining the sauce. 

Florian is an expert expressing an opinion. This is not a trial, it’s a conversation about the issues related to the trial. AI readers are not going to be rendering the trial decision, and the jury can’t even access AI. It’s just describing what issues are at stake so that people who have less informed opinions about the trial are not rudely surprised by the outcome, as many Android fans were the first time.

See also: the Wikipedia entry for the trial (the top search result in Google) which was created entirely by Android apologists who erected a massive edifice of nonsense serving as a conspiracy theory that Apple manipulated the legal process to persecute them and make their Nexus phones more expensive. 

• Reply 77 of 88
    Florian works very hard doing something that is both unique and very valuable: parsing all the legalese and procedure in various cases and sharing his observations, opinions and factual research. His blog is a rich trove of information, and he is regularly cited as an expert source, both by AI and many other places. 

The idea that one of his opinions, and the logic behind it, can’t be examined is absurd. While the vast majority of his work has been neutral (if there is a perceived "bias" it is because the truth simply favors companies that are innovators rather than SEP / NPE patent abusers), his latest pieces ripping at Apple’s entry-negotiating royalty demands from a company that claims to have "the next big thing" simply need some perspective. 

If you stop looking at the world in a simplistic, binary black and white, you’ll see there is plenty of grey and even vibrant color to every situation. Some of Apple’s demands may be unreasonable (particularly since it, like everyone else, has to start bargaining from a position that allows for a margin of negotiation), and there may be patents Samsung or others have that Apple needs to license.

Constantly offering criticism that is devoid of any real logic or insight is not really a contribution to the forums. I’d encourage you to think more and share something useful when you decide to type in a comment.  

Sorry, I wasn't criticizing your article. I was pointing out to another poster that Florian is not a Samsung troll.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

EXACTLY. You haven't used something yet you can still post an opinion about how good it is compared to others, then hide behind the "I thought we were talking about Office Mobile). Numerous people pointed this out to you - nobody believes that's what you were talking about, or that you didn't understand what people were actually talking about. The very definition of a troll.

Eric, if you refuse to believe the truth then there's not much I can do about it, is there?  If numerous people pointed this out to me then I missed it until your post which I responded to with a , 'well that explains it'.  Was there a point to your post outside of childish name calling?  I'm not sure what else you want from me. 

• Reply 79 of 88
    This is a funny side note from CNN:

Mueller, by the way, has so thoroughly changed his tune on Apple's patent litigation strategy that on Sunday, after a brief exchange with Dilger over the AppleInsider piece, Mueller blocked Dilger's Twitter account.

Tempers, it seems, are running high.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

This is a funny side note from CNN:

Mueller, by the way, has so thoroughly changed his tune on Apple's patent litigation strategy that on Sunday, after a brief exchange with Dilger over the AppleInsider piece, Mueller blocked Dilger's Twitter account.

Tempers, it seems, are running high.

According to Daniel there was no exchange leading up to Mueller blocking Daniel's Twitter account.  He posted as much above (he posts as Corrections).