New photograph of purported 'iPhone 6' tooling suggests device with 4.7" display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Is that a white sneaker in the upper right of the picture? 

While everybody else is talking about the phone, I don't really care about that. I think that catching the leakers is important.

• Reply 22 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

I had an HTC One for a time and it fit fine in my pocket. What kind of pants do you guys wear?! :D

I saw a fella on the bus the other day who easily had a 58" waist, and baggy pants with pockets big enough to conceal all manner of phones, pads, notebooks, laptops, and other weaponry. 8^)   

Thankfully, said pants were not "low slung"....

• Reply 23 of 68
    fallenjt wrote: »
    iPad Mini doesn't have GPS, so you also need GPS to call it a smart phone.

iPad mini has GPS if you get the cellular enabled version, same with the Air.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I don't think it is a mold. Too many holes. Perhaps a die and they decided to press a shape on the edges. I thought I remember we had a resident machining expert, can't remember who it is right now, but if you look at the original photo without the superimposed iPhone you can see a lot more detail.

• Reply 25 of 68
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Just what I need. An iPhone so large that it doesn't fit in my pocket! And an iPhone so large that I can't use it one-handed.

Wow, thanks Tim Cook, for your AMAZING INNOVATIONS since Steve died!!

Meanwhile, the ONE LARGE THING that we really do need has been discontinued: the 17" laptop. High screen resolution doesn't matter if the pixels are so small that you have to squint while trying to edit video.

Tim Cook and Phil Schiller are making a complete mess of Steve's house.

You do understand that this is just a rumor?  No one is forcing you, yet, to get a bigger iPhone.

• Reply 26 of 68
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    On macrumors someone pointed out that this thing will have a larger case at the same time with smaller display than nexus 5.
    Wow Johnny, really?

PS I hope this mold is for 5.5 model
  • Reply 27 of 68
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member
    scotty321 wrote: »
    Just what I need. An iPhone so large that it doesn't fit in my pocket! And an iPhone so large that I can't use it one-handed.

Meanwhile, the ONE LARGE THING that we really do need has been discontinued: the 17" laptop. High screen resolution doesn't matter if the pixels are so small that you have to squint while trying to edit video.

Tim Cook and Phil Schiller are making a complete mess of Steve's house.

One more LARGE thing ?
  • Reply 28 of 68
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,010member

While i'm not convinced I want a larger phone, globally, there is a desire for larger smartphones, especially in Asian markets. As a global company, Apple needs to look at different markets, and when there is sufficient need that doesn't harm the brand otherwise, develop for them. I don't think Jobs would have had issue with that, not that he's the barometer any longer (nor can any of us extrapolate his opinion in 2014)

If Apple is doing this, the key will be their innovate ideas -  to make it feel smaller and more balanced than its size might belie. 

For example, perhaps loading 10-20% more weight toward the bottom half (vertically) to lower the fulcrum into your palm, not teetering at the forefinger. Contracting the interface elements to a thumb-reachable quadrant (not just enlarging the existing interface) might also be useful.

Gaining more room for storage and longer batter life will be positive marketing attributes as well.

• Reply 29 of 68
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

Is this an Android site? with those ugly rumors it kinda looks that way 

I mean seriously do u actually expect Apple to launch a product called phablet? 

• Reply 30 of 68
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

4.5" this year, early 2015 two models 4.3" and 4.7 (4.7 a slightly larger than iPhone 5 design), and later 2015 three models 4.3, 4.5 and 4.7 

also an 5.5" iPad nano probably next year

Apple's way is only one way- the right way....The End

• Reply 31 of 68
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don’t think the far point of that screen is accessible.

It’s wider than the 5S and even wider by 11/1000ths of an inch than the first-gen iPhone with its gorgeously curvy front. Width isn’t really the problem, however, as a fingertip can reach beyond the first-gen’s case far enough, so without much side bezel on the 8th iPhone (contrasting with the large one on the first-gen) screen accessibility width would be fine. But it is a problem when you start increasing the height. 

This thing is 5.43” tall, which is just over half an inch taller than the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S’s screen is entirely reachable with a thumb, but this one won’t be. Not for anyone shy of 6’4”, at least. Apple has shaved 16/100ths of an inch off the thickness of the iPhone in seven models. They’d need this one to be something like half an inch thinner than the first-gen for the entire screen to be reachable on a 4.7” model.

In the time between now and September, I’ll get some cardboard and mock these things up for everyone. Don’t let me forget it. 

Well...I have to point out that the iPhone 5/5s/5c are not as easily one-handed as you describe. I have relatively large hands and I still find myself "rocking" the phone a bit for my thumb to reach the top corners.

Honestly, 3.5" was the only truly EASY one handed device. Everything and anything bigger than that is going to present SOME measure of added difficulty for one handed operation.

It becomes a question of tradeoffs. It becomes a question of market demand. Do people care more about a larger screen than they do one handed operation?

Apple has undoubtedly been milling this question since before the launch of the first iPhone.

Also of note: Apple has been designing iOS 7 to further accommodate this....ie: Swipe from the edge to go back, instead of hunting down that lowly back button in the top corner. All across iOS 7, it is easier to use than iOS 6 with a larger screen.

• Reply 32 of 68
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Whoever put the iPhone 5 front plate over that mold and drew the arrow and wrote 4.7" on it should be fired.

• Reply 33 of 68
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I hope they release a 8" phone just to piss guys like you off.

That 4.7" looks amazing- although I, too, hope for smaller bezels.  Take my money- September get here soon!

• Reply 34 of 68
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It becomes a question of tradeoffs. It becomes a question of market demand. Do people care more about a larger screen than they do one handed operation?

I would welcome a slightly larger screen at the expense of (some) one-handed operation. But then I'm just one customer.

• Reply 35 of 68
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think it is a mold. Too many holes. Perhaps a die and they decided to press a shape on the edges. I thought I remember we had a resident machining expert, can't remember who it is right now, but if you look at the original photo without the superimposed iPhone you can see a lot more detail.

Yeah, for certain that's not a mold.  If you're going to injection mold millions of parts, you don't do so with one-up molds; you create 16-up or greater molds.  Besides, look that the two holes, one in each bottom corner.  Those wouldn't be there in a mold.  They certainly aren't injection ports for plastic to flow into the mold.  This is just silly.  It's some kind of jig for some purpose.  Probably says little about how the final product will appear.

• Reply 36 of 68
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Whoever put the iPhone 5 front plate over that mold and drew the arrow and wrote 4.7" on it should be fired.

Fired is the first action I'd take against that person.  Just silly to add that on top of the misconception that this thing is a mold in the first place.

• Reply 37 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So basically whatever Apple does is bad. When the 5 and 5S came out it was bad because people want larger screens and 4" isn't large enough. Now that it looks like we'll be getting a larger screen Apple is stupid because it supposedly won't fit in someone's pocket and Apple should leave phablets to Android. And I guarantee you if we end up with three different screen sizes someone will complain that Steve Jobs would never have allowed it and Apple is making his simple product matrix too complex. And under any one of these scenarios Cook, Schiller and Ive will need to be fired for incompetence.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Fired is the first action I'd take against that person.  Just silly to add that on top of the misconception that this thing is a mold in the first place.
    All they did was take the 5 display and stretch it to fit this "mold" which no one even knows if it really is a mold or if it has anything to do with the new iPhone for that matter.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    The innovation will be in the manufacturing process. The device will be borderless, which means, it will still fit nicely in your hand, and with a sapphire glass screen, it will look and feel very valuable and advanced.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    seankill wrote: »
    I hope the bezels are reduced more, I think it would be awkward to handle with one hand, much like the HTC One M8

According to the reports it's only 1.1mm wider than the widest iPhone ever made, and since it's 4.6mm thinner it would likely be even easier to use one handed than the iPhone 3G/3GS.